Hot!NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves!

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 32
Author
downtown
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/06 16:28:36 (permalink)
oh don't worry charlie, my pal Al will keep you on topic. I'm really getting worried on my seafood topic. Lucky Bishop, Lonestar and I have all discovered each other and having old home week. LOL. they are former Lubbockites with close ties to San Angelo.
downtown
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/06 16:31:47 (permalink)
oh and charlie -- I've already gotten in trouble on the martini thread (shaken not stirred on the other miscellaneous site). seems like I made the mistake of mentioning mexican martinis up in the mexican food. these purists around here took offense! LOL

then I brought up flavored olives!! HA
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/06 17:04:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie1

Howdy - I am Charlotte. I am from Lubbock, TX and live in Austin now. My friend Holly introduced me to this site..and LAW! I am grateful.
Spent a lot of time in living in other places and working in the food and berverage industry. Miss the fantastic stuff in NorCal. But Austin is slowly catching up foodwise.
Aleswench, you look like my kind of Go Out For Dinner With person. Look us up when you're in town!

Holy crap - I didn't even know that picture was on here - must've been the Mayor's work Thanks! That's a whole lotta face going on with the two of us We look like a pair of giant heads. Thanks, Charlie for the compliment! Not sure just when TX is in our future, sadly. It's certainly nice to meet you on the boards though! Sue
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/07 08:06:30 (permalink)
Leslie
If you see this before the weekend. Some of us are making a run thru your neighborhood this weekend!! Friday lunchtime we'll be in Lexington TN south of you for some great BBQ and a chance to watch a real 'Old-Timer Pro' in action at Hays BBQ. Poverty Pete, Bushie and the 3 Bowens will be present and invite any and all in the area to join us.
Then Friday Afternoon we'll wander up to Cadiz, KY, just across Ft Campbell from Clarksville to check out the Country Ham Festival that is due to be in full swing then. We are staying at the Super 8 there to be sure to get some of the Ham for the Saturday Breakfast and whatever events are running that morning. That has got to be close to you !!!
BTW Next time you are headed West in September, one of the greatest Shakesspeare Festivals in the U S A takes place in Cedar City Utah at the University of Southern Utah. It is a weeklong event in a beautiful area , usually just as Fall begins. Worth a trip !!!
dkp
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/09 18:28:10 (permalink)
Buenas Dias from the Land of Enchantment. My name is Dwight, and I am probably senior to a lot of you (72). Still love life and good food, in spite of cancer and heart surgery in the past 3 years. Of course, my favorite food is New Mexican, followed by steak and potatoes. I worked as a Relief Manager for Motel 6 for 8 years, and found all kinds of good places to eat in Northern California, Oregon, and South Washington. However, I now have half-heimers, and can't remember most of them. Take me back there, and that old memory might come back.
Incidentally, off the subject, does anyone know how to make a chocolate martini? Bought a bottle of Godiva on a recent cruise, and would like to have a recipe.
Thanks
verysleepy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/11 12:40:52 (permalink)
Hi there, and greetings from the Big Apple. My name is Nadine, and I go by the name of verysleepy. I will try to do my best in regard to places and descriptions in my travels. Though I am from NYC, I just lover BBQ, and needless to say, NY is pretty void of anything decent. Last week, the boyfriend and I did our own BBQ tour of the Raleigh area, including Wilson, Goldsboro, and Lexington, and I think I am still full! Last month it was Taylor/Lockhart Texas. Although employed full time here in Manhattan, I still get out and try to experience road food wherever I can. And yet, at the age of 53, I have never driven a car- so I must rely on the bf to do the driving. Well- at least here in Manhattan- the two legs take me to where I want to go. Next trip will probably be to Las Vegas over Thanksgiving- and I will try to come up with some new places there. We really go out exploring with the locals... so perhaps can find us some great new food in the land of the $4.99 buffets.

If anyone needs any information about NY, and some great special places.. just let me know.

That's it for now.

Nadine
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/11 15:38:56 (permalink)
Welcome Dwight, and
Welcome Nadine!

Dwight, this is one recipe that I think looks good:
1 1/2 oz vodka
1 oz Godiva liqueur
1/2 oz Frangelico
1/2 oz White Creme de Cacao
1/2 oz Brown Creme de Cacao
1/2 oz heavy cream
Shake with ice and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish w/ Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate kiss, or similar.

Caution: calling anything a martini that is not the original classic (gin, vermouth, olive) may be asking for trouble in these parts!
(Check out Grampy's thread "Shaken not stirred" in the miscellaneous-food related forum).

Frank
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4634
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/17 23:42:21 (permalink)
Alright, new posters! we're nosy, so fill in the blanks so we know how to pester you best.
...and I really am transmitting from deep within Mt. Shasta.
Bill
http://www.shastacam.com
verysleepy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/18 02:22:13 (permalink)
Ok Bill... now I am a bit confused. What do you mean by "fill in the blanks." Is there an official form that we should fill in? Would be glad to, if you direct me there.

Thanks
Nadine
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4634
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/18 08:47:39 (permalink)
no blanks, Nadine. It's always nice to know the people behind the names. I was just being flippant.
This topic has blanks, however:
http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3324
...and it does a good job. I don't think there's any requirements here except a love of food and laughter.
Did I have you wondering whether I live in a cave?

PinkPussycat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/28 21:38:06 (permalink)
Hi everyone. My name is Barbara and I go by the name of Pink Pussycat in our forum. I've been lurking in various areas of the forum for about a week now. I'm a native of Florida (Central), but I live in Albuquerque, NM now. My husband does the majority of the traveling in our family, so this site really comes in handy. We have 2 boys (9 and 3). I'm mostly a "foodie", and that is what attracted me to the site. Glad to know ya and hope to bump into you around all the great areas here and in this wonderful country. See ya!
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/28 23:40:43 (permalink)
My name is Tom. I'm Mosca on Chowhound's Pennsylvania board, and in every newsgroup and bb and forum I participate in, except for Konaweb where I am Tom B2. I live in Mountain Top, PA, and I'm the governor of the Lehigh Valley Miata Owners Club, http://www.lvmoc.net . My hobbies are Miatas of course, auto detailing, and music/record collecting. I write on the side, for pleasure and the pleasure of entertaining others. I read incessantly, and often have 5 books going at a time. I have worked in the retail automobile industry for almost 20 years, which is surprising because I never really wanted the job in the first place.

I'm the old fat guy in the background at our Detail Day.

Tom
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/28 23:47:14 (permalink)
Wow! Who's cuting the beautiful tenderloin on the hood of the car. Don't you lose the jus that way. I mean, without a carving board? And I always use a knife, but that spatula must be REAL sharp.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/29 00:13:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Wow! Who's cuting the beautiful tenderloin on the hood of the car. Don't you lose the jus that way. I mean, without a carving board? And I always use a knife, but that spatula must be REAL sharp.

You see Tenderloin, I see Strawberry Sponge Cake...
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/29 09:03:45 (permalink)
That was actually Shine and Dine; it was a combination of Detail Day with James Beard's anniversary, a couple years ago! We had one heck of a spread, but the article the picture was cut from was about cleaning cars, so, that's the picture. Pat probably has pictures of the food, she's the chef in our group.

Tom
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/29 11:09:03 (permalink)
Welcome Barbara and Tom we're glad to have you join the fun.
This place has remained relatively "flame-proof" over the years, so feel free to join into any discussion thread that interests you. There are few rules, other than "consideration of others" to follow. That helps keep us the mellow group that we seem to be.
cedwin
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/29 11:22:31 (permalink)
Hello everyone. My name is Ed and I've been lurking around for 3-4 months now. I find this to be a very interesting site where I can learn lots about cool places to eat, get great recipe ideas (we are going to try out a recipe for meat loaf suggested by Lucky Bishop this weekend), get my appetite going with all the great food descriptions, and generally share in the nice vibes of the site. I write things here and there if I've got something useful to add; I've cooked for many years, used to work in the food processing industry, and love to share good food experiences.
Andoo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/29 12:57:40 (permalink)
My buddy Dino got me hooked on this site. I usually stop at his house after work and our conversation invariably turns to food, cooking or places to eat. My wife and I entertain alot and we travel quite a bit and I love to try out the local joints wherever we are. I grew up near Milwaukee WI. but have lived in Monterey CA. for many years. I still visit WI. every year so have the oppertunity to try places in that area often, as well as the Central Coast of Cal.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/10/29 13:34:53 (permalink)
Andoo (and Cedwin) Welcome to both of you. Is the Central Texas BBQ still in operation in Castroville CA? We used to visit it several times a year when passing thru that area, but our last time was 2 years ago. Give us an update on it when you have time. Thanks
AL
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/11/01 03:11:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PinkPussycat

Hi everyone. My name is Barbara and I go by the name of Pink Pussycat in our forum. I've been lurking in various areas of the forum for about a week now. I'm a native of Florida (Central), but I live in Albuquerque, NM now.
Hey, Pinky! I've been hanging around this joint for a while and can corroborate any good things you've heard about its denizens, especially me. I expect to be in ABQ in November to see my sister & her SO. Lived there '51-'59, so I know I won't recognize it!
Andoo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/11/01 13:40:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Andoo (and Cedwin) Welcome to both of you. Is the Central Texas BBQ still in operation in Castroville CA? We used to visit it several times a year when passing thru that area, but our last time was 2 years ago. Give us an update on it when you have time. Thanks
AL
Yes, Central Texan is still alive and well. If you're in the area again, try also L'Ascuola down the street, or Phils Fish Market, acouple miles away in Moss Landing. All three are excellent.
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/11/01 13:48:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dkp

Incidentally, off the subject, does anyone know how to make a chocolate martini? Bought a bottle of Godiva on a recent cruise, and would like to have a recipe.
Thanks

Dwight: This is how I will make them in the bar: 2 ounces Absolut or other good vodka; 1 ounce Godiva white. Shake with ice and serve in a cocktail glass with a chocolate truffle.

And Frank is right -- we call it a Chocotini, not a Martini.
Rick F.
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/11/02 21:50:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

Did I have you wondering whether I live in a cave?
You don't?
Lexi
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 248
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/11/02 22:05:00 (permalink)
Wow - nine pages of replies. This is popular one.

My name is Lexi and I've been a foodie from the cradle. I live in the 'burbs of NY and commute (ugh!!) to the Apple daily. I am lucky to be in the food and wine business where I get to make money doing what I love - entertaining people! Food as communication, wine as an form of self expression. Plus I get to travel to Europe and hang out with some really cool people.

I am in my (ahem) early forties and I am now single again for the first time in almost twenty years. I have two neanderthal children who think bad chinese food, pizza and McDs is all there is to life.

Where did I go wrong?
Rick F.
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/11/02 22:22:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by LexiWhere did I go wrong?
Dollink, it isn't you. All children are neanderthals and it is our privilege, obligation, and joy to get them past that stage. And they do get there! Our oldest cat had to be put down last week, and I remember a time I would sooner have given up my first-born in exchange. But no longer: she's 35 and approaching Homo sapiens status.
Michigander
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/11/11 14:38:33 (permalink)
Hello all,

As you can see, this is my first post to this site. I live outside a small town in central Michigan, right in the palm of the mitten. I service and install medical equipment to make my modest living, and this keeps me on the road a good deal of the time, where my roadfood search is on almost everyday.

When home, I'm a serious BBQer, and also do most of the cooking for my family of five. I actually found this site while doing an internet search, looking for plans to build a large fieldstone BBQ pit. My son is graduating from high school next spring, and for his graduation open house he wants ribs and brisket. What better excuse can I ask for to build a permanent pit outside my house? But honey, it's for the children......
elm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/11/12 15:11:33 (permalink)
Hello...I posted on another thread before noticing this one, so here's my 2nd post. Probably I got here via chowhound.com, though I've read and enjoyed most of the Sterns' books. Live near NYC, like food, have dull job that affords me too much time to surf and chat! Unless I get fired after someone here reads this. Um...I love pepperoni pizza and Asian cuisines and various others and rarely go to restaurants where I might feel uncomfortable in my usual sweatshirt-and-jeans attire. Pleasetameetcha!
Wingster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/11/12 16:17:11 (permalink)
Hello, I'm Wingster and I have posted a couple of times but never formally introduced myself. I just graduated from college after spending half a year in Madrid, Spain and am now back in my hometown of Hemet, CA (which by the way has the BEST Mexican food "chain" ---i am not sure how to describe it, it's a bunch of restaurants owned by the same family but it's not fast food, just AWESOME Mexican food that I have been eating ever since i can remember) working as a substitute teacher while plotting my next move in life. I am probably one of the younger members on this site, and I love to read all the commments on different foods and restaurants in the country, as I travel a lot outside the US, but haven't been to many places in my own home country. I used to cater in college and LOVE food in any form really, so I love to check up on this site and see what's new!
rmcielwain
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 618
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/11/12 16:29:04 (permalink)

To Michigander, Elm, and Wingster,

Welcome Aboard! from one who is still relatively new here
(since July), but as I've found out, you will be surprised at just
how much your knowledge of food will be enhanced....

(and probably pick up unwanted calories by looking at all the
recipes/pictures!) " />

Enjoy!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/11/16 20:43:14 (permalink)
I grew up in Oregon small towns and wnent to graduate school in West Lafayette, Indiana and Charlottesville, Va. Worked for political groups in Indiana(Fort Wayne) and Ohio(akron). Have travelled a lot and may be a little fond of lists. I have visitted all 50 state capitols, 49 major league stadia, 281 national park sites. I have followed the Sterns for about 12 years and they have proved great guides to all sorts of great places to eat(including a large number of places here in Oregon) I continued to be puzzled by the relative dearth of posters from the Pacific Northwest. I really enjoy the forums and I am just now starting to post more on a regular basis.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 32
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1