Hot!NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves!

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 32
Author
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
2004/02/21 00:36:28 (permalink)

NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves!

By special request I've decided to make this a "Sticky" thread.
I personally don't like to see a forum with a lot of stickies but a couple 3 or 4 are OK by me.

MikeS.

I have been reading some of the posts by the "new" posters, or posters who have been "lurking" and finally joining in. For the benefit of all, please tell us about yourselves, and join in the fun and joy of roadfooding!

951 Replies Related Threads

Ashley Wilkes
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 02:50:44 (permalink)
    I am a native of Georgia, but I have worked at jobs in several different states. I used to work with a woman from South Boston who was a big fan of “Gone with the Wind.” Sometimes she used to call me “Ashley Wilkes” as a good-natured insult. It used to amuse me, even though I knew it was a jab when I didn’t agree with some of her Southie attitudes.

Also, around the time that I was registering for Roadfood, I found out that one of my ancestors fought in the Confederate unit “Cobb’s Legion.” Ashley Wilkes was characterized in GWTW as a member of this regiment. Since I was looking for a Georgia related name for Roadfood, I thought Ashley Wilkes sounded like a good, screwy name for me.

I like to travel and have used the Roadfood books for almost twenty years. I have had many good meals on the road thanks to the Sterns.
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 03:12:12 (permalink)
    Hi I'm Glenn.....Everybody Say "Hi Glenn!" I am proud to be a Roadfooder, not only a Roadfooder but a Founding Member/Attendee of the first ever Roadfood Mini Convention! There are but a few of us that will ever be able to say that! It was held in Rancho Cucamonga California Sunday, February 1, 2004, at Woody's Bar-B-Que. I want to also welcome all the newcomers and hope that one day all of us can say together that we attended "The Biggest" Roadfooder Convention Ever! I Have Dream.....oops that's been used already. Sorry... Love To All, Big Glenn Long Beach California
    Gypsy Bob
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 08:30:20 (permalink)
    Hi, everyone! While I'm pretty new in the Roadfood forums, I've used the Sterns books for years while traveling around the country. (Actually, it should be "we", for while I'm the more computer-active one, Ann is equally enthusiastic about finding Roadfood eateries.)

For the past 32 years we've lived in southeastern North Carolina, on one of the barrier islands, and for the past 11 years have been doing a lot of traveling around the country in our motorhome, doing volunteer work with Habitat For Humanity, visiting family, and doing the "tourist thing". One of our general rules for traveling is that we eat two meals (usually breakfast and lunch) at "home", and go out for one, and when it comes time to make that foray into strange territory we always do careful research. Hence "Roadfood", "Backroad Buffets and Counry Cafes", "Eat Your Way Across the USA", and other guides, but we also keep our eyes open for new spots. We particularly enjoy meat-and-three places, places without tablecloths, and places with pickup trucks in the parking lot.

I'm a retired (well, semi-retired) clergyman, a full-time grandfather, and an inveterate traveler, hence the handle, "Gypsy Bob". Ann is an active watercolorist, gardener, and grandmother, and is also anxious to know what's over the next hill.

If any Roadfooders are headed up or down US 17 through eastern North Carolina, let us know and we'll have a mini-get together.
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 09:19:56 (permalink)
    Hieveryone, I am one of those who have been "Lurking" around for a long time. And I must say I truly enjoy this website. I come from a very small town in the panhandle of Nebraska where I have lived for the past 29 years. My husband is a retired (at an early age) State Trooper, and I work for the County Attorney. We have one son who is a police officer, married with 3 children. Our oldest son works with handicapped people, he is divorced and has 2 children.

I grew up as an "Air Force Brat" and traveled all over the world, fondest memories are of the years we spent in Panama. I love eating out, but it's mostly when we travel, as there aren't many restaurants out here. I do enjoy reading all the comments in the forums, and feel that I am beginning to know you all! But gee, I wish I would become a hamburger!

Nebraska Woman
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 10:11:19 (permalink)
    Hi Every one!I live in Surf City N.C.a small little beach town just north of Wilmington.Ive been lurking on this board for sometime now and have to say this is one of my favorites.I have been a chef on the island for more than thirty years,we own a restaurant on the island that serves Italian and seafood and we have been in the biz for thirty years.I have two beautiful kids Savannah 6 and Johnny 16 months,my wife is Donna.I love to fish,surf aand head to the outer Banks when ever I get a chance.Im a big fan of N.C.BBQ the best in the world!I am also a big Jimmy Buffett fan so if there are any Parrot Heads out there let me hear from you!
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 10:21:42 (permalink)
    Hi everyone. I am a long time lurker on this board who has recently started to post more often. I love this site for the great pictures and the advice given in the forums. I live in Columbus, OH and work at OSU Medical Center and I am a huge Buckeye football fan. I grew up in Bloomington, IN and went to school in central New York at Colgate University where I played college football for a brief time. Lucky for me, I was able to stay at the school even after I stopped playing. I vacation with my wife and my parents and sisters every year on the Outer Banks of North Carolina (hence my screen name).

I was taught by my father long tiem ago that the best thing to do when picking a restaurant is to avoid any place that advertises on tv. And when in doubt, look and see where the local cops hang out.

My wife and I eat out a lot. We both love trying to find little local joints and stay loyal to the good ones so they will stay open. We recently took a trip to Chicago and thanks to this site we found Tempo's cafe. Of the three mornings we were there, we ate there twice it was so good. I've never had a better omlette than the turkey and swiss one I had there.

Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself Lone Star. It's great to meet everyone.
    ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 10:23:23 (permalink)
    (Stands up, a little nervously)
    Hi,

My name is Ahmicchick. I'm a first-timer. (Looks of encouragement and expectancy.)

...I'm addicted to food. (Heads nod in sympathy, all around the room. Everyone knows she's found her support group.)

I grew up in Toronto. Mom, I'm sorry, but your cooking was terrible! No seasoning. No oomph. In my own defense, I tried to learn on my own, with a little help from Gramma. I started out small, first packaged cake mixes, then chocolate chip cookies, then on to quiche and roasts and cake decorating... Then I went to college. Oh, cafeteria food, it was such a joy! Others looked at me in disdain as I revelled in the flavor, but I was so happy because I now had a consistent source of seasoned food. So what if there were nut shells in the brownies? So what if yesterday's dinner was today's soup? "Bring it on!"

But slowly, I began to appreciate better food. Through college, work, and travel, I met people who knew more than I did, and listened as they advised me. With Toronto at my disposal, I was able to experience some of the best food around, and slowly trained my tastebuds to demand better. And so my addiction grew....

--------------------------

But seriously, I can't keep this up. And isn't it getting annoying? Let me cut to the chase.

I moved to Auburn, AL 12 years ago, and went into severe culture shock! I knew nothing about football, and was so confused when everyone would get so excited about tailgating. "Tailgating??," I thought, "Isn't that following too closely in your car?" And the whole BBQ thing... people would openly laugh at me when I talked about barbecuing hot dogs and hamburgers! I've adapted and now use the term "grill" appropriately, and have even tried my hand at smoking pork and chicken. I've also learned that tailgating is FUN, and bringing a few Canadian staples along (Crown Royal and butter tarts) is an effort much appreciated by my Southern friends.

I'm married to the dearest man, he's the reason I have stayed in Auburn. We have two little ones, ages five and six.

These days, most of our traveling is done in the summer when we drive up to Columbus, Ohio (my husband's home town), on to Toronto, and then further north up to Ahmic Lake where we have a cottage (hence my "handle"). It's a wonderful way to escape the summer heat and humidity.

I'm delighted to have found this site, and greatly appreciate all the advice, discussions, and entertainment that you've all provided.
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 11:08:41 (permalink)
    Welcome everyone! I used to live under a bridge, exacting fees from unsuspecting passers-by, but Roadfood changed my life, and I hope it will change yours, too!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6825
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 13:56:42 (permalink)
    Welcome indeed y'all! I too, along with BigGlenn was fortunate to be a member of the SoCal Mini Convention! What a hoot! A bunch of people that never met each other getting together for a BBQ lunch. But, ah yes, grasshopper, we all have the love of food! So of course we're all gonna be COOL.
    It's a great forum and you can get tons of info here. Even if we do get off the subject ONCE IN AWHILE. (?) And Lone Star is right, pay no attention to that clothier guy or i95, we just let them rant and rave and be snarky.
    Gypsy Bob
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 14:08:16 (permalink)
    >>I have been a chef on the island for more than thirty years,we own a restaurant on the island that serves Italian and seafood and we have been in the biz for thirty years.<<

Jellybear, would this be the Soundside Restaurant? I tried to email you this question, but couldn't find your address!
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/21 23:43:41 (permalink)
    jellybear and Gypsy Bob - two more chefs on our forum! (competition llechef???)

All are welcome, children! Let yourselves come into the light!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 00:56:09 (permalink)
    Greetings, everyone! I am from central Illinois, but on vacations I have driven over all of North America (even driving to Alaska), and as far south as Tikal in Guatemala, always trying to see the unusual spots. For 37 years (until I retired) I worked in a grocery store that specialized in gourmet and imported foods as well as groceries, and for most of that time I was in charge of the dairy and gourmet food departments. I have loved cooking ever since my days as a Boy Scout (about 50 years ago), and I have ALWAYS loved eating. I found this site when it was written up in Parade Magazine, and I have been reading it almost daily ever since. I am currently a Troop Committeeman for another Boy Scout troop, and about 3 years ago planned a 10-day trip for them to the Black Hills, where we saw and did 40 different things in the 10 days. Because of the tight schedule, we did no cooking, so we really had a good chance to sample roadfood in that area. As you probably can tell by now, I can be pretty long-winded, so I better quit while I am somewhat ahead. Have fun!
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 09:42:42 (permalink)
    Gypsy Bob,No I am not with Soundside,Although they are good friends of mine.I am located at the north end of the Island in the Villa Capriani Resort.My Email is Paliottis@Aol.com.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 10:07:44 (permalink)
    I am Adjudicator; not a "lawyer"." /> I have been absent for a while but am back now. I drift in and out and post when I have time or see an interesting thread. Most of the regular posters know of me. Whether I post or not, I am always lurking.
    Helen Maxwell
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 11:36:52 (permalink)
    [bows] Hey, all. I adore food, and I lurked on these forums for months before finally joining up and beginning to post. [grin]

Lessee, as far as background goes, I graduated last May from Indiana University and these days I'm working while taking a class here and there and pondering grad school.

--Helen
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 12:25:34 (permalink)
    Hi Helen ...and all others new and almost new to the forum. This is a fun place to be for sure. Yesterday 6 of us wandered around S W Tennessee for the day sampling the Que at several BBQ Stands and had a great time. It is amazing to me how a group of very 'different' folks can meet together for the first time and have a great 'casual meeting' as if were were long-time friends.
    It sure worked for us...Twice now. What we also interesting is that the first stop on our tour yesterday was the best. Things tended to go downhill food-wise as the day progressed...until the last stop which brought us around again to Good 'Que.
    I hope all of you, new/old, 1 post or 2000 will share your thoughts and make this place the comfortable 'zone' it has become.

BTW..The Tennessee Tour Group has votedlleechef as the member with the best...smile. The vote was taken after they reviewed my photo's of the SoCal gathering. Congratulations Lisa !!
    Scarlett
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 18:25:39 (permalink)
    Hi!
    Yep, I've been lurking and just today decided to jump in-the-mix.
    I'm in NC and found Roadfood looking for good places to get some real food. I can spend a lot of time visiting Roadfood and I'm always hungry when I leave. Today while reviewing the chicken fried steak postings it brought back wonderful memories of Sunday dinner and mom's steak, gravy and buttermilk biscuits. Yummm

Thanks for the memories!!
    Scarlett
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 18:39:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

Welcome everyone! I used to live under a bridge, exacting fees from unsuspecting passers-by, but Roadfood changed my life, and I hope it will change yours, too!

Grampy...Aren't you supposed to ask a riddle???

And welcome, everybody!!! Glad to have you here!!!!
    albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/22 22:05:31 (permalink)
    Hi all--

I'm Charlie--I'm in Plainfield, NJ, but until 5 years ago, I lived in Brooklyn for about 20 years--long enough ago to remember when it was really tough to get a good meal in that borough, but my, how things have changed. I still work there, and have seen the changes happen over the last 5 years--both the good (Smith Street, 5th Avenue) and the bad (losing Gage & Tollner, losing every good Jewish bakery in Flatbush, giving up hope of a good place ever opening in Brooklyn Heights). Jersey has its good places--we have found good and cheap Thai, airplane-hangar sized Asian markets, many paella mills in Newark and its suburbs, but . . .No matter--since we moved, we barbeque all the time, as soon as the snow melts.

We love food--we particularly love going anyplace Jane and Michael recommend--I have an old dogeared copy of Goodfood that used to come with us whereever we traveled, and we traveled a lot. This site is terrific--so is chowhound.com, which has a very active discussion board focusing mostly on the NY-NJ metropolitan area.

I bake--I've kept a sourdough starter going for over 20 years; I do lots of pies, and I'm starting to branch out into cakes and tortes. I also have to watch my weight, which I do by following the Body for Life program--keeps me on the straight and narrow, but also limits my forays into the wonderful world of food.

My ambition is to graduate from being a Junior Burger.
    frognot
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 02:20:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by albinoni
    My ambition is to graduate from being a Junior Burger.

Ditto.

My name is Charles. Not exactly sure how i ended up here; maybe a click in a BBQ site? Lifelong Texan from the north central end of the state. Watched quite a few of the small towns of my youth become suburbs in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metro sprawl. Grew up on good country cooking and small town cafes. Believe the four food groups are BBQ, chili, Tex-Mex and CFS. Been a respiratory therapist since '78 (i started very young, before there were child labor laws in Texas).
    Finding myself in west TN 2-3 times a year since my practice grandchildren, aka great-nieces, relocated there. Really enjoyed the west TN BBQ thread, in fact, i think TN BBQ might be how i landed here.

BTW, Frognot is the name of a very small town northeast of Dallas, TX. Always made me smile when i'd drive thru Frognot & thus have used it as a handle in various forums and games.

Dipstick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 07:59:42 (permalink)
    Welcome to all! It's great to see so many new folk on the site!

I'm Don, and have been posting here for about 6 months now. I hail from Minnesota, the land of 10,000 lakes, 50 million misquitoes, 500 Lutheran lutefisk recipes, and no BBQ shacks. Worked in a number of resturants in my youth, none worth mentioning, but always had a great appreciation for a vast array of foods. My wife and I have two daughters ages 13 and 10, and I work as an explosives technician for a local defense contractor. That's why I think life is such a BLAST!!!
    Sushi_Girl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 08:40:54 (permalink)
    Welcome to all new posters,,im relatively new here myself, although i feel like im the pinkheaded stepchild sometimes in a giant disfunctional family. Check out all of our pictures in the misc forum and post your own! we like to see who we are talking too.....or do we?
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 13:38:32 (permalink)
    Hi All - home sick today with a miserable cold, but I will go stir crazy if I sit on the couch anymore - so I decided to post. My hubby got me into this site (alesrus) - I think it all began with hot dogs. I grew up in East Rutherford, NJ home the NY Giants, about 10 minutes away from NYC. I have been in the trade show industry for many years, but since our marriage 3 years ago I've gotten away from it due to all the travelling and well...let's just say it's alot better to be single in that field. Miss it terribly though. I've been all over the country and got to do/see/eat many things I would never have done. Now that I've settled down we live further North in NJ- when we first moved it could have been Montana as far as I was concerned. I saw a chipmunk and thought it was the coolest thing ever (Bob will never let me live this down - they are as common as gnats around here) - have to say, though have grown to love "the country"-bears, wild turkeys, foxes and all I also love reading all your posts and the great commradery (spelling??) We go out alot also, our newest find: The Warwick Valley Winery in Warwick, NY - great wine, awesome fruit & cheese platter, "folksy" entertainment on the weekend and great scenery. A perfect weekend getaway. Looking forward being a part of the forums! Trying to post a picture of us, but have to read the thread where it tells me how to! Hopefully will follow....
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 14:21:52 (permalink)
    If anyone is interested here we are [|)]

aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 14:34:08 (permalink)
    http://www.geocities.com/wallacewebpages/page6.html?1077560399660

I tried to fix the link to work off the post, but it didn't take--- sorry. AL
    MaryB
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 14:59:43 (permalink)
    Hi I am Mary From Kansas. I don't post as much as I would like to due to work hours and stresses. I sure love to read all of the posts however, and I can tell that this group is such a fun bunch! I have lived in Missouri, Kentucky, Illinois, Tennessee and Montana. Kansas is now my home but not by choice. I live in a roadfood desert smack dab in the middle of the state. Sometimes, when I am having a really bad or stressful day, I pop in hear to read some of the acerbic wit from the regulars. The good part is that I am off to Hawaii for 10 days! I will come back with a tan and not all of the stress! My favorite foods are pad thai noodles, scallops and vietnamese food, none of which exist in my neck of the woods.
    RHS RAM
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 15:00:37 (permalink)
    I'm RHS RAM. I've been coming to this site for years and just recently started posting. I live in New Orleans (yeah I know-pretty lucky) and enjoy all the interaction on the various forums.
    Check in a least once a day to see what's up. I've tried many of the places I've read about here and have usually gotten great results.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 15:04:13 (permalink)
    Hi All.
    My name is Erika. I live in Danbury, CT. Hubby and I are always looking for new places to eat especially in the Summer when we are on our motorcycles. Found this site while doing a recipe seach - I forget what for. Anyway, There were some very good recommnedations so I joined in with a few of my own. The rest is history I guess.

Ride to eat - eat to live - live to ride!
    Shanie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: NEW POSTERS! Introduce yourselves! 2004/02/23 16:03:29 (permalink)
    Howdy! I'm originally from the Allentown PA area, and have lived in North Carolina since 1990. Currently, I'm in the western region (About 5 minutes from Caro-Mi... anyone for country ham?), near the SC border. I noticed a lot of Carolinians in this thread! :)

In the early 1990s, my aunt passed away and I discovered her enormous collection of Gourmet magazines, all in chronological order in sleeves by the year. I didn't care for the majority of the content, but I immediately became enamored with the Stern's articles!

I've lurked on here for a long time. As you can tell, I'm so shy...
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 32
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1