Hot!NEW UPDATES AS OF THU 10/24....Roadfood Tour in New York City - Saturday, October 26, 2013

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Sirloin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/25 08:13:28
Billyboy

Since NYC hotels are exhorbitant. We are going to be staying in Stamford CT and taking Metro North in to the city. We will won't be joining everyone for the entire tour but will be there either in the beginning, or in the middle or towards the end depending on itinerary and what Sandra and I plan to do in the city
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/25 08:25:05
That is a rather impressive turnout!
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/26 09:36:35
Billyboy, 

Where would the tour start, and at what time? And, are the stops all within walking distance, or are you planning on taking subways over the course of the day? Just askin'.  

The Bear
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/26 10:14:42
Although I can't answer for Billyboy
During the course of the day the distance between the southern Fringes of Harlem and Downtown's Financial District are extremely walkable. I'm hoping we don't use the subway or at least limit subway use.

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/28 19:45:05
wanderingjew

During the course of the day the distance between the southern Fringes of Harlem and Downtown's Financial District are extremely walkable. I'm hoping we don't use the subway or at least limit subway use.

I'm not saying that it cannot be done, but to call a distance of approximately eight miles "extremely walkable" - while eating the entire way - is extremely laughable.

That said, I do believe that walking or riding, moving a group of this size in any expeditious way will be a challenge.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/29 16:06:00
The Travelin Man

wanderingjew

I'm not saying that it cannot be done, but to call a distance of approximately eight miles "extremely walkable" - while eating the entire way - is extremely laughable.

That said, I do believe that walking or riding, moving a group of this size in any expeditious way will be a challenge.

Forgive me .....8 miles is laughable, but 21.7 miles is not....

WUSS!!!!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/30 02:29:38
No. If one were to call 21.7 miles "extremely walkable," I would also call that laughable.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, but don't make it sound like anyone and everyone can do it with ease.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/30 07:49:50
Then apparently I am a wuss too, because there is absolutely no way I am walking eight miles.  Besides, I always enjoy riding the subway.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/30 08:09:21
buffetbuster

Then apparently I am a wuss too, because there is absolutely no way I am walking eight miles.  Besides, I always enjoy riding the subway.

WUSS!!!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/30 08:19:03
Seriously. Assuming this is going to be a 12 hour day (with Billyboy's ambitious itineriary this is likely going to be a 48 hour day) however once the itinerary is streamlined and finalized, walking 8 miles over the course of a 12 hour day without back-tracking  is in fact very do-able.
Of course if one stop is perhaps on the lower east side and the next stop is up in Harlem, then of course taking the subway would be a given
post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/09/30 09:02:53
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/30 09:24:51

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/30 14:11:47
Tony,
  Is that Michael Stern pulling you around on a Food Tour Somewhere?  Sure looks like the two of you.
    Put me in that Rickshaw and he would be pulling a hell of a lot harder than he is in your photo.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/30 14:35:24
mayor al

Tony,
Is that Michael Stern pulling you around on a Food Tour Somewhere?  Sure looks like the two of you.
   Put me in that Rickshaw and he would be pulling a hell of a lot harder than he is in your photo.

post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/09/30 14:57:23
billyboy
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/30 16:13:21
Hey all, just wanted to check in with some updates.  Sorry I haven't posted before now.  I still have to post the final itinerary but I was thinking of starting with a soul food breakfast at Sylvia's in Harlem at 9:30am followed by a short walk through Harlem over to the "Crack Is Wack" park to  take a look at the classic Keith Haring mural and along the East River to Patsy's for some slices.  Patsy's opens at 11:00am.  From there we could walk to the subway to catch the 6 train down to the Upper East Side or walk the 30 blocks (1.5 miles) to Papaya King for hot dogs and then to the Lexington Candy Shop for egg creams, malteds and such.  We could walk through Central Park (one of my most favorite place to walk, run and just "be" in NYC!  Lots of great people watching, sculptures and points of interest to see) to the Southeast corner and down to the Burger Joint in the Le Parker Meridien Hotel on 56th Street for excellent burger & fries.  For those that would rather take the subway, the 6 train goes from 86th Street (near Papaya King) to 59th Street and from there is about a 9 block walk to the Burger Joint.  After that I figure we could walk through Times Square or just hop on the N or R train to 23rd Street to the Flatiron/Madison Square Park area to Eisenberg's for egg/tuna salad sandwiches, lime rickeys, etc in a classic lunch counter atmosphere.  That area has one of the most iconic and most photographed buildings in NYC, the Flatiron Building.  From there, a jaunt over to S'MAC for mac & cheese and a just a block away to Veneiro's for Italian pastries at a place that's over 100 years old.  A walk along St. Mark's Place to see the faints vestiges of what is left of the "gritty" East Village.  If anyone still has room in their stomachs, we could go to Katz's for corned beef/pastrami sandwiches, Vanessa's for dumplings and Sugar Sweet Sunshine for some excellent homemade pies, banana pudding and such.

Ok, so I guess that is the basic itinerary.  A few things to note:
No one has to come to all of these places.  
People are free to drop in/out as needed.  
My suggestion would be to share with others whenever possible so as not to fill up too early.  I speak from experience as I have made that mistake before!
I can PM anyone my cell number who may need it and can text our location as we move along.  
The only costs on this tour are for the food you buy and any subway passes you may need.  
Feel free to drive into the city and park at a garage or lot, or drive to each stop (though I would NOT recommend that as you most likely spend more time finding parking spots that enjoying the tour).  
Check the forecast before you head out, dress weather appropriate, wear comfortable shoes and bring water to drink. 
Subway passes - the MTA used to sell an all-day one-price fun pass but alas that is no more.  They sell declining balance cards where you can put any amount of cash in whole dollar amounts on a card starting at $10.  They have machines at all stations and if anyone needs help figuring it out just let me know.  

As far as walking vs. the subway is concerned, I love to walk and run but I realize that not everyone else does and that walking to each stop on the tour can be daunting to say the least.  I think walking between stops near one another, maybe a bit of walking to digest and then taking the subway to the next neighborhood would be a good idea.  

I hope this answers all questions but If anyone has a question please let me know and if I have forgotten anything please post.  Thanks and see you all very soon!!!
post edited by billyboy - 2013/09/30 16:16:34
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/30 16:26:05
Billyboy
Your suggestions for the day are fantastic
However here is some food for thought (sorry for the pun)
As you know we recentlycompleted my own Roadfood tour recently...and we had quite a few less people than what we will antipate on your tour

•  Although there is alot more ground to cover in Southeastern CT, the drive in between each stop averaged between 15-30 minutes. Keep in mind that getting around by walking or via subway consider that as a buffer between each stop.
  • keep in miind that alotting time eating at the restaurants may take longer than expected, perhaps there may be a wait, or even if not those in attendance may want to sit, linger and chat

• During my tour- We began our day at 9 AM, even with only two diversions during the day (Mystic and Gillettes Castle) we were still only able to hit 6 Roadfood stops and had to ditch one of our interim stops  We  did not conclude our last meal till 7:30pm
Just an fyi while you finalize your itinerary
post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/09/30 16:35:36
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/30 19:48:11
Excellent looking itinerary Billyboy!  I am personally pleased that you included Eisenberg's, since my last visit there was over a decade ago.  We will hang in there the best we can, but with my bad back, there is only a certain amount I can walk in one day.  Riding the subway or even catching cabs will hopefully save me some steps.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/09/30 20:38:57
You can always catch Stephen's Pedicab! 
karilyn
Cheeseburger
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/01 20:25:55
Sounds like a fantastic day ahead of us!  So excited to get to Patsy's, The Burger Joint and Sylvia's.  THANK YOU for all the time you've put in to plan this!!!  So excited to catch up with everyone too.
billyboy
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/08 04:51:48
BUMP!!! 

Just wanted to drop some more info on everyone as the date gets closer. 

First, the tour will take place rain or shine.  I'll be watching the forecast and unless Hurricane Sandy's evil twin shows up, we are a go!

Second, please note that Patsy's and Papaya king are both very, very tiny and the plan for both of them is to eat "al fresco" while standing as some may be able to stand inside but most of us will be on the sidewalk outside.

Third, I spoke recently with Wanderingjew about the tour and it is a large group, larger than any I have ever had so what I am proposing is that the stops I listed in my previous post above from Sylvia's through Eisenberg's will be the main thrust of the tour.  If time and stomach space allows, we can venture on to the rest of the list.  I plan on hitting more after Eisenberg's and anyone is welcome to join me. 

Fourth, given the size of the group, I'll try to reach out to Sylvia's, Lexington Candy Shop, Burger Joint and Eisenberg's to get the scoop on seating.  With that in mind, as the date gets closer, please let me know if you're still planning on attending or if you are no longer able to make it.  If you're not planning on making one of these four stops, just let me know so I can get an idea of a headcount.

Fifth, if you want to exchange cell phone numbers, please send me a PM.  I've created a Roadfood list on my phone so that I can send out a group text as we arrive and depart from each place to keep everyone in the loop. 

I heard from RFer Philly Beth the other day and she said she may be in town the evening before so if anyone is around and would like to meet up we can do that.  No definite plans yet but just wanted to put it out there. 

And finally there are a couple of other food-based events going on the day after the tour.  On Sunday October 27th, the New Amtsterdam Market will be open underthe FDR Drive at the South Street Seaport Pier 17 Building in Lower Manhattan from 11am to 4pm.  http://www.newamsterdammarket.org/  I've gone there before and they have ready made to eat foods, sandwiches, drinks, chocolates as well as meats, fish, produce, honey, jams and much more.  Pretty much artisans from the 5 boroughs, north of the city and even as far as Massachusetts plying their trade.
Also, the Lower East Side Pickle Day is happening on Orchard Street Between East Houston Street & Delancey Street from 12noon to 5pm.  There will be plenty of pickles, food & retail vendors and live music!  http://www.lowereastsideny.com/events/lower-east-side-pickle-day/

That's all for now.  See you all soon!!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/08 06:56:34
Billyboy-
No doubt you will be hearing from WJ's lawyers for using his trademark BUMP!!

Mariton and I will be joining in for as many restaurants as you can throw at us.  That is, as long as my back holds out from the walking and ChiTownDiner doesn't kill me the week before with all the stops he has planned in Memphis/Mississippi.
karilyn
Cheeseburger
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/08 06:59:38
Kendall and I are in for the long haul !!!  I have room booked Friday night in Stamford . . . dinner with Dale, Sandra and Yvel.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/08 08:05:32
buffetbuster

Billyboy-

He already has

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/08 10:28:03
buffetbuster

Billyboy-

Mariton and I will be joining in for as many restaurants as you can throw at us.  That is, as long as my back holds out from the walking and ChiTownDiner doesn't kill me the week before with all the stops he has planned in Memphis/Mississippi.

Don't be starting the excuse thing...we got 50 stops in 5 days...and we've trained for years! 

billyboy
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/08 16:47:29
WJ, I shall await the arrival of your "cease & desist" letter!   
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/16 01:04:57
This seems incredibly early, but my flight is booked....I am in.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/18 09:08:33
The Travelin Man
This seems incredibly early, but my flight is booked....I am in.

Jeez, I may have to come after all 
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/18 17:19:38
Much as we want to see y'all, we have to bow out. Our recent travels took more energy and money than we had expected, and we need to recover a bit.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/18 17:33:13
Ralph Melton

Much as we want to see y'all, we have to bow out. Our recent travels took more energy and money than we had expected, and we need to recover a bit.

Travels to the Emerald Isle?????

Photos?????????
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/20 19:02:23
Ralph  We're going to miss you & Lori , I was looking forward to hearing all about Ireland, however I'm certain the trip was both exciting and exhausting. 

Looks like my friend Ian and possibly his wife Linda may be joining us for part of the tour

Sandra and I won't see you guys till Patsy's- ironically Ian wants to go to Sylvia's- if thats the case he may be joining the tour before Sandra and I do

post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/10/20 21:25:15
billyboy
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/21 03:33:36
BUMP!!!

TTM, awesome!!  See you soon.

WJ, sounds good, man.  Please pass on my cell number to Ian & Linda should they need to give a call.

I was just checking the weekend forecast and this is how it's looking so far:
FRI 10/25 - HI 54/LO 40 Partly cloudy and 0% chance of rain
SAT 10/26 - HI 54/LO 46 Partly cloudy and 0% chance of rain
SUN 10/27 - HI 57/LO 43 Partly cloudy and 20% chance of rain
post edited by billyboy - 2013/10/21 03:41:45
billyboy
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/21 05:02:02
Here's the itinierary for this Saturday's tour (in chronological order):

Starting at 9:30am at Sylvia's.

1.)  Sylvia's (Harlem) - soul food in Harlem (chicken & waffles, ribs, collard greens, yams, etc...)
Ph# 212-996-0660
Address: 328 Malcolm X Boulevard (aka Lenox Ave.) btw. 126th & 127th Streets
Hours: SAT 8am - 10:30pm  SUN 11am - 8pm
Subway: 2/3 train to 125th Street
UPDATE:  They take cash and credits card (no minimum) and have restrooms.  I went there earlier in the week to check it out and they should be able to accommodate us for breakfast.  Brunch starts at 11:00am and that's when it gets really crowded such we should just miss the rush.  I could have made a reservation so we could all sit at one table but we'd have to order from a set menu, so I declined so we can order from the regular breakfast menu.  They do have plenty of tables and my favorite seats at the lunch counter.  While they won't have their full menu (sorry, no ribs or soul food vegetables) they do have a good breakfast selection.  Chicken & waffles (if TTM is there, chicken & pancakes!!), shrimp & grits, bacon & eggs, etc..
The menu available is from BREAKFAST SELECTIONS to FROM THE GRIDDLE:  http://sylviasrestaurant.com/menus/

2.)  Patsy's (Harlem) - pizza
Ph# 212-534-9783 
Address: 2287 1st Avenue (corner of 1st Avenue & 118th Street)
Hours: SAT 11am - 12midnight  SUN 11:30am - 10pm
Subway: 6 train to 116th Street
UPDATE:  I spoke to them and with a group our size there would be a minimum $20 per person charge if we got a table in the restaurant portion.  I was hoping we could get a table and share some pizzas but it looks like my original plan of getting slices at their takeout section next door and eating them while standing on the sidewalk is the way to go.  They do have a bathrooms in the restaurant which we should be able to use.  The takeout pizza place is CASH ONLY and drinks are either from a soda vending machine inside or a much larger selection at the bodega next door.

3.)  Papaya King (Upper East Side) - hot dogs, cold papaya drinks
Ph# 212-369-0648
Address: 179 E. 86th Street (corner of 86th St. & 3rd Ave.)
Hours: SAT 8am - 2am  SUN 8am - 12midnight
Subway: 4/5/6 train to 86th Street
UPDATE:  No restrooms and CASH ONLY.  This is a VERY tiny place and we'll be standing outside and eating.  No seating inside at all.

4.)  Lexington Candy Shop (Upper East Side) - egg creams, malteds
Ph# 212-288-0057
Address: 1226 Lexington Avenue @ 83rd Street
Hours: SAT 7am - 7pm  SUN 8am - 6pm
Subway: 4/5/6 train to 86th Street
UPDATE:  They have a restroom through the kitchen and they do take credit cards ($10 minimum).  Between the counter and the booths they have a fair amount of seating.  Not sure how busy it will be but I think we can make it work.  

5.)  Burger Joint (Midtown Manhattan) - burgers, fries
Ph# 212-708-7414
Address: 119 West 56th Street
Hours: SAT 11am - 12midnight  SUN 11am - 11:30pm
Subway: Various but the N/Q/R train to 57 Street-7th Avenue is closest though coming from the Upper East Side the 4/5/6 train to 59th Street would be the most convenient stop.
UPDATE:  They take cash and credit cards (no minimum).  No restroom inside but there are restrooms across the hotel lobby and down the stairs.  
This stop is a bit tricky and I was considering scrubbing it from the tour.  I went there today (THU 10/24) and was in line for approx. 38 minutes which wasn't too bad.  The issue is that there are only six 4-tops, four 2-tops and six high bar stools for a total of 38 seats.  Finding enough seating for all of us is likely not going to happen so I have a suggestion...we could get the burgers to go (some can stay if they want) and some of us can head over to Paley Park on 53rd Street between 5th Avenue & Madison Avenue.  Lots of patio chairs there and a waterfall that provides a nice respite from the sounds of the city.  As a bonus, on the opposite side of the right wall (at 520 Madison Avenue) are 5 pieces of the Berlin Wall on display outside!!!  I figure we could meet up at the 49th Street subway station (N/Q/R trains) and take it down the 23rd Street to Eisenberg's Sandwich Shop.

6.)  Eisenberg's Sandwich Shop (Flatiron) - lunch counter (egg salad/tuna fish sandwiches, liverwurst, salami & eggs)
Ph# 212-675-5096
Address: 174 5th Avenue (btw. 22nd & 23rd Streets)
Hours: 9am - 5pm
Subway: N/R to 23rd St. or 6 to 23rd St. or F/M to 23rd St. or 1 to 23rd St.
UPDATE:  They have a restroom and they take cash and credit cards (no minimum).  Had a very good egg cream today (THU 10/24) and nice conversation with the guy behind the counter.  He said his boss would be thrilled if I brought in a big group.  He did say it would be less crowded after 3pm (they close at 6pm) and I think that should work with our current timeline.  

These are the official food stops on the tour, however if anyone has time and more stomach space, I have some other places in mind...

These stops below aren't written in stone and there are interesting people watching opportunities and plenty of food stops to check out along the way.  Remember to order small or accordingly depending on how many stops you think you might join in for throughout the day.  "Sharing is caring!" 

7.)  Hill Country Chicken (Flatiron) - not crazy about their namesake chicken but they have "pie cups' which are rather awesome.  And it's just about 3 blocks north of Eisenberg's on the same street!

8.)  City Bakery (Chelsea) - for incredibly thick hot chocolate and buttery, salty pretzel croissants

9.)  S'MAC (East Village) - excellent crusty mac & cheese in a multitude of flavors

10.)  Veneiro's Pastry Shop (East Village) - great century plus Italian pastry shop.

11.)  Katz's (Lower East Side) - "That's all!!"

12.)  Vanessa's Dumplings (Lower East Side) - my favorite dumpling and scallion pancake shop.

post edited by billyboy - 2013/10/24 18:59:01
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/21 15:19:12
What time are we starting?  BTW, some of these places will be insanely busy on the weekend, especially for a group our size.  You may want to factor that in for Sylvia's and the Burger Joint.
post edited by Stephen Rushmore Jr. - 2013/10/21 15:26:20
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/21 16:07:40
As his trainer, I officially declare buffetbuster ready, willing and able! 

billyboy - nice job putting this together...you have some treasured and unique stops on the list!  Congratulations! 
billyboy
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/21 16:15:33
Stephen, we're starting at 9:30am at Sylvia's.
Benzee
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/21 22:58:24
Hello all ,
Still hoping to be able to join you all on Sat .
Looks like a very exciting intinerary !!
Benzee
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/24 14:12:20
Unfortunately, I had a little accident at home this week and hurt my back.  This had our attending in doubt, but it feels better today, so I booked our hotel.  This will limit the amount of walking I am willing to do, so no guarantees we will be with the tour the entire day.

On Sunday, Mariton wants to go to Chinatown.  Anyone interested is welcome to join us.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/24 15:28:48
buffetbuster

Glad to hear you're going to join us and that your back is better- you are a trooper
I understand TTM has offered to  give you a rickshaw ride just in case your back starts to act up 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/24 15:56:34
Thanks WJ!

Mariton and I are thinking about a late night burger at JG Melon on Friday night.  If anyon else is interested, let us know.
billyboy
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/24 17:32:09
Excellent, gentlemen!!!

Beth & Dayna may be checking out a Broadway show tomorrow night.  

BB, sorry to hear about your back but glad you are feeling better.  What time will you and Mariton be getting in?    I know of some good spots in Chinatown if you need some recs.

I just finished the last of the Roadfood reconnaissance at all of the stops and I'll post some updates in the thread in a bit.  

CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/24 17:45:39
Dont worry Billyboy, BB is a professional he has learned how to eat through the pain.

Hope you all have a great weekend.
jaylhorner
Cheeseburger
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/25 07:01:47
Where do you recommend in Chinatown?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/25 07:43:04
jayhorner-
If you are asking me, I have no idea.  My girlfriend is half Chinese, so she usually picks where she wants to go by looking at the menus and other considerations.  I just remember eating at a place with good soup dumplings and an ice cream store with really unusual flavors.
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/25 13:26:08
http://www.xianfoods.com is the most authentic Chinese food in NYC.  Most everything else is Chinese American.
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/25 13:27:07
Billyboy, can you PM me your mobile phone so we can connect?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/25 13:48:24
Thanks for the tip Stephen!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/25 15:42:35
I like the WARNING about the noodles. 
bb or Mariton
Please get one of the ox tail dishes!  I love ox tails.  I'm afraid to make them for MH since he's never eaten them.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/28 07:53:59
A big thanks to Billyboy for the outstanding job he did in organizing our NYC eating tour on Saturday.  An excellent variety of restaurants and all of them were very enjoyable in different ways.  It couldn't have been easy to herd a dozen or more people around the city, but he pulled it off seamlessly.  Well done!

Just to show how comprehensively he planned this outing for us, he even arranged it so that some of the ladies (Karilyn and Amy) could meet Captain America! 

How cool is that?

It was so much fun to see everyone again!
post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/10/28 16:43:02
TnTinCT
Cheeseburger
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/28 10:47:56
Dang! How did we miss Captain America???!! What a great day for a New York excursion - our thanks also to billyboy for a great day. I have a new favorite chicken and waffle place with Sylvia's, and thoroughly enjoyed my first egg cream. Great company, great food - nice to see everyone!
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/28 11:55:27
Thanks again BillyBoy - great job organizing the event and bringing nice weather into town.  Some of my food highlights include the corned beef hash at Sylvia's and the new fresh-cut fries at Shake Shack.
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/28 11:58:03
Stephen Rushmore Jr.

http://www.xianfoods.com is the most authentic Chinese food in NYC.  Most everything else is Chinese American.

Stephen,

This brings up an interesting point. Many of us who grew in up in NYC love to return to Chinatown specifically to eat the classic/retro Chinese-American food of our youth.

This is the food we ate with our parents when they wanted to show us something "exotic". While there is definitely a place for authentic Chinese, well-prepared Won Ton Soup, Spare Ribs, Shrimp with Lobster Sauce, Pepper Beef, etc. never fails to put a smile on my face and take me back to a simpler time.    
karilyn
Cheeseburger
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/28 19:08:06
Captain American has nothing on you BillyBoy!!!  Thank you so much for planning the perfect day!  It was a perfect mix of great food, NYC culture and terrific people.  My highlights were Patsy's Pizza, my Chocolate Malt at Lexington Candy, the sip of the pumpkin shake from Shake Shack, BillyBoy getting his disco grove on at the Burger Joint, TinTinCT's slideshow of the recent Roadfood Tour and Mariton's hat - adorable!  And thank you to Dayna as well.  It was clear how much time was spent planning this (he did a dry run of the entire itinerary!) and that was time that could have belonged to you!  Thank you to my drivers and my escorts too!!!
billyboy
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/29 07:55:58
BB, thanks so much!  You and Mariton were real troupers.  So glad I could meet up with you both, TTM and Mr. Bad & son on Sunday. 

TnTinCT, I think we came across Captain America on the street on our way to Eiseneberg's.  Sorry we couldn't sit in the back with you all.  Very happy to hear you enjoyed your egg cream, one of my most favorite beverages!

Thanks Stephen!  Those new fresh cuts from Shake Shack were quite good.  I was very happy that the tour ran as smoothly as it did.  I wasn't sure what the repsonse would be when I proposed the weekend after the official RF Tour and this was by far the largest group I have ever led!

Howard, Xi an is definitely on my list of places to try as authentic Chinese food is something I have tried very few times.  I do love the old school Chinese-Americna spots like Wo Hop though.  Been going there for a few years and love it.

Karilyn, you're very welcome.  It was such a fun day and the weather was just what I had hoped for.  Comfortable enough to dine "al fresco" on pizza sliceas and hot dogs on the sidewalk at the smaller places.  That pumpkin shake WAS quite good.  Just crank up the Earth, Wind & Fire, give me a french fry for a microphone and all is right in my world! 
That dry run was really tough, ahem, "work".  Seriously though, I didn't want to leave anyone hanging with regard to cash/credit. restrooms, walking times between stops, etc.  And I did want to talk to the owners/staff about the tour and possible seating and an email/phone call just seemed to impersonal and less likely to get a response.  One thing I'd like to do differently next time is give some more history/info about the stops along the way.  I was making some notes earlier today and realized that some of the older spots have some interesting history.  Note to self for the next tour...

A weekend of epic eating was had by a great group of Roadfooders in NYC.  Many thanks to:
Buffetbuster & Mariton
The Travelin' Man
Wanderingjew & Sandra
WJ's friend, Ian
Philly Beth & her mom
my girlfriend, Dayna
Karilyn & her son, Kendall
TnTinCT and Colleen
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Ayersian (Chris & Amy)
and surprise guest stars Tony Bad and his son, Anthony meeting up with a few of us in Chinatown with some real estate left in our bellies on Sunday!

and a big shout out to:
Sylvia's
Patsy's
Papaya King
Lexington Candy Shop
the surprise "audible" discovered by Ayersian!
Burger Joint
and Eisenberg's for be able to accommodate such a large group

Trip Report with lots of pics to come soon...

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Upcoming Roadfood Tour in New York City (August or September 2013?) 2013/10/29 09:49:46
Once again-
Thanks to Billyboy for organizing a fun filled and exciting Saturday in the city. He did a fantastic job of moving all of us around from place to place.  Sandra and I met everyone at Patsy's and stayed through the "official" end of the tour. Ian also had a blast and hopes to join everyone again the next time we arrange something in the NYC area.

Sandra I spent Sunday and Monday on Long Island visiting friends, family and we visited Montauk Point yesterday. Back to reality today
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial