Hot!NJ Hot Dog Map

Author
WarmBeer
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
2011/07/23 11:47:05 (permalink)

NJ Hot Dog Map

If I might be so bold, I would like to propose a project that could make tracking down great roadfood locations even easier than it is now with the help of all you wonderful roadfooders.

Google has recently expanded the capability of their MyPlaces on line mapping software.  I had previously used MapMuse to track roadfood and other eating places and found it to be an extremely valuable resource.  I know this site offers an upgrade to get access to the RF locations via map but it fails to capture all those places mentioned in the forums but not officially added as Roadfood spots.  I cannot imagine what it would take to try to find ALL the places mentioned in the forums, say for example for my next trip to Boston, in order to choose the places I most want to visit and not discover when I return that I missed some fabulous place that I would have loved to visit.
With that in mind I would like to propose an RF crowd sourced project to give all RFer's access to a more easily accessible resource (see link at bottom of post).  I've chosen to start with New Jersey hot dog sellers, but if this takes off there is no reason that we can't develop a whole series of maps on a range of topics (next I can add hot dog entries from all over the country, if this is deemed worthwhile).  I chose NJ Hot Dogs as it seems to be one of the more active discussion areas here and because I thought it might be easier to gather a significant number of places in a mappable format.  Thanks to John Fox's direction I was able to find John Sagi of thegourmetchilidog.com who provided an excellent list of hot dog outlets including addresses and some phone numbers.  My appreciation goes out to both the Johns for their assistance. 
For those not familiar with the concept, crowd sourcing allows an entire community to contribute to a project with each making a small effort to produce a large result.  I have set the map up so that it is editable by anyone with a Google account who wishes to make any changes, sort of like a wiki map. You will need to create a Google acct. Once you sign in to Google and open the map you will see an Edit button near the top of the left side frame. Once you are in edit mode you can search for the address, click on the blue balloon and drag it to the location, and then add the information. If you click on the icon inside the edit box and then 'My Icons" you can choose the hotdog icon.  To change an existing entry click on the icon in edit mode and you can make the changes.  Don't forget to save. (please limit it to just NJ spots for now). 
I have already found that some locations are slightly off geographically from where the actual site is, probably because the locations are based on a little program that converts addresses to latitude/longitude settings.  These can be corrected by simply picking up the marker and moving it to the correct location.  You can also add pictures and other information to the listing.
I would just SUGGEST a few guidelines. 
The current listings are formatted like this:
Address, City, State, Zip, Phone:
John's list did not include any other details but I have added the following to a few listings (see Papaya King in Clifton).
Web:   Dog:   Prep:  Review:   Review:... More Pics:  More Pics:...

Following this format when adding or editing and entry, even when the info is left blank, will simplify finding wanted details.
The Review heading should be followed by a link to another web page where a review can be found.  More pics should be followed by a link to just that, additional pictures. 
Pictures can be added directly to the map location, but to avoid excessive busyness it might be better to limit the embeded pics to one of the location and one of the food, with additional pics linked to.  Since editing is open to all please use discretion when adding or editing an entry.  Especially please be very careful about makeing a change(as oppopsed to an addition) in an existiing entry.
If this is successful, as I hope it will be, it could be just the beginning of a great new resource to discover more and more excellent road food locations.
I imagine there could be many questions about a project like this that i haven't thought of.  Please be patient and positive and I will try to help us all work through the details over time.
Thanks for all and any contributions.
More to come.
ed

The link:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=205477214443202174589.0004a8af0189768167b25

post edited by WarmBeer - 2011/07/25 18:15:32

28 Replies Related Threads

TnGuy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/07/23 18:06:22 (permalink)
    WarmBeer:

Great job! Thanks for doing this. It's already a great resource - and, I'm sure, will only get more complete and even better with time.

David
    fattybomatty
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/07/24 10:42:09 (permalink)
    this is freaking awesome!
    Dog Boss
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/07/25 13:03:10 (permalink)
    so, many possibilities , yes a great app. 
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/07/25 13:31:36 (permalink)
    I moved to north Jersey a year ago and I have not had one single hot dog yet (excluding backyard BBQs).  I don't live anywhere near the classic places, but it looks like there are a few interesting spots within a reasonable drive from my house.  Might make for a nice diversion one of these days. 
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/07/25 13:42:31 (permalink)
    Two notes:
    1. HIRAM'S in Fort Lee is a glaring omission!
    2. Apparently Hot Dog Heaven in Emerson has been closed for a few years now.
    WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/07/25 14:40:47 (permalink)
    You're welcome to add any you know of directly.  I have another 40 or so locations that only had a street name, no number, so when imported Google puts them at a random location on the street, which would be misleading so they were left off.  If anyone is willing to help look up the #,s I'll post them here and then upload them.
    Also another 25 or so where the name was not clearly focused on hot dogs and which I was not familiar with, so they were also left off (I know Hiram's is a hot dog & burger place, not sure how that was missed).  Again, if there is interest I will post them here and folks can chime in as to whether they are a real hot dog location.  I think it is better to not just include any place that sells a hot dog, rather keep it to the places that focus on weiners as a meaningful part of their business.

Also left off the larger chains like Dairy Queen, Five Guys, etc. that were on the list.  I was undecided about a place like Stewart's but decided to leave 'em for now.  Open to thoughts on the best way to draw the line.

ed

John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2326
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/07/25 15:13:16 (permalink)
    alesrus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/07/25 16:53:05 (permalink)
    John have you ever been to River View East ?
    455 River Dr
    Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
    It has been there for a long time good roadfood bldg and great Texas Weiners!!
    WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/07/25 17:01:36 (permalink)
    John Fox 87 places listed here: http://thegourmetchilidog...j/JohnFox_2006_01.html

How many of those are closed.  Right away I see Amazing in Verona and I think also Callahan's.
    ed
    alesrus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/07/25 17:16:32 (permalink)
    WarmBeer here you go I do not know how to add them to the map.
    River View East 
    455 River Dr
    Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
    WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/07/25 18:10:55 (permalink)
    alesrus .... I do not know how to add them to the map.
    It's there now.
    Sorry, Failed to mention, you will need to create a Google acct.  Once you sign in to Google and open the map you will see an Edit button near the top of the left side frame.  Once you are in edit mode you can search for the address, click on the blue balloon and drag it to the location, and then add the information.  If you click on the icon inside the edit box and then 'My Icons" you can choose the hotdog icon.

ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 749
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/07/28 06:09:21 (permalink)
    My question is: Why limit it to New Jersey?
    HDtravlr1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 288
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/07/28 07:36:38 (permalink)
    Fantastic info
    Thanks!
    WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/07/28 13:45:38 (permalink)
    ConeyIslandLou My question is: Why limit it to New Jersey?

Not intended to be a limit, just wanted to see if there was enough interest/support before I spent the effort to import more places (I have nearly 1,000 thanks to John from TheGourmetChiliDog.com).  Plus Google Maps has been having some glitches with their import.  So far I have not been able to auto load the little hot dog icons but rather had to change each one manually.

If there is not enough interest in the Hot Dog capital then probably not gonna fly elsewhere.  Success depends on everyones contribution.  So far no one has added any new locations, and there is actually nothing stopping you from entering places in other states. 

Let's try this,  here are 20 locations from John's list that I have incomplete Street addresses for (no address number).    If each person who reads this post looks up 2 or 3 we should be able to get a bunch done in quick order.  If I see that 15 of the 20 have been completed I'll work on adding the locations I have for the other states to the map.
     ed
    JR's, Franklin Avenue and Carolyn Street, Belleville  Frankie's Frank, Old Hooper & Mantoloking Road, Brick Hooley's Hot Dogs, Cedarbridge Avenue & Route 70, Brick Jo Jo's Hot Dogs, Route 88 near the Parkway , Brick Little Lils Hot Dogs, Brick Boulevard South, Brick Mickeys 1, Cedarbridge Avenue, Brick Mickeys 2, New Hampshire Ave & Pine St., Brick Hot Dog Johnnys, Route 46 East, Buttzville Wee Nee Wagon, Route 206, Chester Township Uncle Peteys Weenies, St. George Avenue (Route 35 South), Colonia Big D's, Crescent Park, Dover Lou's Hot Dogs,  Davison Street, Edison Willie's Grab N Go, Kilmer Road across from Post Office, Edison Uncle Eds, Route 9 Next to WaWa , Forked River Skis Weenie Bus, Midland Avenue, Garfield Route 32 under Turnpike 8A over pass, Route 32 West, Jamesburg Dawg Shack, Route 9, Lacey Grub Hub, Old Bridge-Englishtown Road, Monroe Sophie's Hot Dog Stand, South and Market Streets, Morristown Little Ones Concession, Commercial Ave & Handy Street, New Brunswick  ed
    WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/08/05 19:31:28 (permalink)
    Been over a week.  No one willing to help out?
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/08/05 19:58:48 (permalink)
    John Fox

87 places listed here:
    http://thegourmetchilidog...j/JohnFox_2006_01.html

Hey, John, on Monday, I traveled the
    30-miles on Route 1 between Woodbridge
    and Princeton, New Jersey. Did I miss any
    notable dog places on this stretch of road?

John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2326
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/08/05 20:17:32 (permalink)
    None that I'm aware of. Used to be a good place for Italian Hot Dogs (Frank's Newark style) on Rt 1 in Edison, but that's gone. There's a Wegmans either on Rt1 or right off it in Princeton. You can get some very good franks from New York. I like Sahlen's and Hartmann's. Zweigles and Hofmann's are good also.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/08/11 13:55:58 (permalink)
    AWESOME!

I can't figure out how to add one.

I can add one on the map, but it doesn't show up as a little hot dog, and it doesn't show up in the right place on the map.. how do I get it to show up by address?
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/08/22 16:52:38 (permalink)
    I added one to the map, although I am unsure if it's in the correct spot.. Captain Paul's Firehouse Dogs in Lawrenceville, NJ. Great "Italian Chili".
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/08/28 15:34:50 (permalink)
    Captain Paul's no longer makes "Italian Chili". :( I saw chili on the menu, but what I got instead was that onion sauce that's all too common. Little disappointed.
    hkrall
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/08/29 10:58:43 (permalink)
    I use google maps all the time to plan hot dog trips and should probably at some point consolidate all the places I've been onto one map. Unfortunately I wouldn't have much to add to Jersey but plenty of pennsylvania / philadelphia stuff...

Only bad thing about google maps is that you can't see the saved maps on an Iphone (yet). Also sometimes Google maps / directions are horribly wrong, especially in smaller out of the way towns.. just try finding Charlie's Pool Room with google or GPS..!! My hot dog trips usually involve a mess of printed out maps, road atlas, and an Iphone, usually one of the 3 are right!

Anyway this is super cool... taking it national would be a great idea..!

Wienie Will
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2011/08/31 11:12:31 (permalink)
    WarmBeer,

I started something similar quite a while back....

For Maryland...

I don't have enough posts yet (I've always been a "lurker") to be allowed to post links, but...  Where there's a will there's a way...

maps(dot)google(dot)com/maps/ms?msid=216901830849068260309.00046d1aff9f5abcf360b&msa=0&ll=39.640595,-76.771088&spn=0.805827,1.234589

Just doctor up the url as necessary...  Should work peachy...
    post edited by Margarita Will - 2011/09/03 11:10:22
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2013/07/14 11:07:51 (permalink)
    Some updates and additions to the map:

1 - Hoagie Heaven was incorrectly spelled. It's haven.

2 - Added Dewey's Dogs to the map. They are in Forked River and use Sabrett's.

3 - Added Wunder Weiner in Beachwood, NJ. I had an Italian Hot Dog. Was very good. They said the chili was homemade and I tried their spicy onions.. like Sabrett's push cart onion sauce, but hot. Please note, the marker on Google maps is wrong. I corrected it, but it gave me some message that it gets updated after being reviewed. If you want to see the cart for yourself, go from where the current pointer is, drove down route 9 a big where it starts to turn into Atlantic City So, if you drive down Route 9, on one side you will see an abandoned mall with an cracked parking lot. They're right out front. Huge cart.

4 - Someone had Marci's Hot Dogs listed twice. It was listed as Oak Ridge in Edison, NJ.. is there a Marci's there? If I Google Marci's it's at Oak Ridge, but it's in Clark, NJ. There's pictures and everything. I have deleted both of your Marci's and added the correct one. If there is ALSO one with the same address in Edison, it can be added back. I think this was an an error on whoever entered it.

5 - Added phone and website for Tido's in New Brunswick, NJ.

6 - Jack's Fries was listed twice.

7 - Adjusted Kevin's Dogs in Scotch Plains, NJ. He has a website.

@hawk: I've found a few mistakes on Google in relation to various things, I found that the MapQuest app is better and it's free too.

For example with Google Maps, my Aunt is in Toms River, NJ, but her address is way off. Where it says she lives is not even the same road if I zoom in, yet the little icon pointer thing says it's right. If I scroll around on my own like 10 or 12 minute drive from where it says, I can find her. My address was even wrong.. they had our street name correct, but around the corner on another road is where we were.

Same thing with some businesses. I drove to a gourmet food place in Red Bank.. I get there and I'm in the middle of some houses in a residential neighborhood. I had to drive around myself and find the rest of the way. It got me close, but it was off a bit.

Just yesterday I was going to lunch for Mongolian food.. As I got near, I remember that Google Maps is wrong. The restaurant was coming up on my right and Google Maps tells me to go to the traffic light and make a left.
    post edited by yuppicide - 2013/07/14 14:40:20
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2013/07/16 23:02:31 (permalink)
    Dewey's Dogs in Forked River is excellent !
    I went back there yesterday, for a revisit.
    Real good Italian Hot Dogs.
    They used to operate as a Hot Dog Truck.  And, now,  they have their own shop, & are open daily except Sunday.

Wunder Weiner has good tasting dogs, but their IHD would be better if it had fried potatoes on it, instead of frozen fries. 
    I always chuckle to myself when I go past that "dead" strip mall.  What an eyesore, lol.   FYI, the Wunder Weiner is located across the street from the last remaining "free standing" Roy Rogers in NJ.

Great jobs on the Hot Dog maps , WarmBeer, and Yuppicide!!
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2013/07/17 16:55:23 (permalink)
    I post about the map updates I do here, because if I mess something up I want people to know who they can yell at. :)

Look at the website roadtrippers.com. Check out the "Guides". I suggested our New Jersey Hotdog map to them and they loved it. They want to get it on their website.

Roy Rogers I thought was out of business. They just seemed to disappear. But I do see them at rest stops and obviously across from Wunder Weiner.

Same thing with Hardee's. There was one near me and they disappeared but still in business. All of the Ground Round's closed near me, yet they're still in business. They were very busy when we used to go.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2013/08/28 11:02:13 (permalink)
    Antnee's Portguese BBQ & Texas Weiner in Clinton, NJ has closed Yelp reports. :( Too bad. I have to go up that way today.. now I need to find a new place to stop.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2013/08/30 11:02:22 (permalink)
    I could be zoomin' wrong but I don't see Boulevard Drinks on the map.

If not it's...

Boulevard Drinks
    48 Journal Square Plaza
    Jersey City NJ 07306
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re:NJ Hot Dog Map 2013/09/08 10:01:35 (permalink)
    @CCinNJ: The easiest way is to hit find.. my browser is CTRL-F. Then you type in drinks or boulevard. Nope it's not there. Anyone can add stuff to the map, but I'll do this for you..... done. :) Thanks for the tip.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1