NW Arizona to Sonoma, CA, & up 101 to WA

Author
unclefudd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2003/09/13 15:22:09 (permalink)

NW Arizona to Sonoma, CA, & up 101 to WA

It may seem a bit early to post this, but I want to give all you roadfoodies ample opportunity to give me the benefit of your acumen for my upcoming trip. My wife and I plan a liesurely trek from Lake Havasu City, AZ to Copalis Beach, Washington next July & August. My plan is to get to the SF Bay area as expenditiously as possible (not much of anything notable between here and there, I'd venture). From there, I thought we'd cling to route 101 as much as possible, through the Napa and/or Sonoma valleys and on up through Oregon and Washington. We have a time-share week scheduled at Copalis Beach in late August, but plan to spend at least 3-4 weeks on the total trip. Any tips on eating places along this route will be greatyly appreciated. We were last in San Francisco about four years ago and the Oregon-Washington segment will be our first visit to that area (although I spent a couple of hours at Sea-Tac airport back in the late 1960s. Thanks.

6 Replies Related Threads

Amecameca
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: NW Arizona to Sonoma, CA, & up 101 to WA 2003/10/20 23:02:27 (permalink)
    Hi unclefudd. For the best fish and chips on the Oregon coast, see my review that was just posted of the Lighthouse Deli, just south of Newport in South Beach, OR. I've lived in Oregon for 17 years and I've been to most of them. Stick to the recommendations (the tuna or salmon fish and chips). The dungeness burger is a novelty item if they have it, but the fish and chips can't be beat. Another famous place on the Oregon Coast is the Otis Cafe, a bit inland from Lincoln City. It's best for breakfast, but expect to wait in line (yes, it's unbelievable because Otis is in the middle of nowhere, but there is usually a line). It's worth the wait. There is a review on this site. Don't miss the Tillamook Cheese Factory in Tillamook! Have a great trip.
    purlygatez@yahoo.com
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: NW Arizona to Sonoma, CA, & up 101 to WA 2003/10/22 15:17:00 (permalink)
    purlygatez@yahoo.com
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: NW Arizona to Sonoma, CA, & up 101 to WA 2003/10/22 15:30:34 (permalink)
    Uncle Fudd, Going through Sonoma early morning, Sonoma Square, go to Sourdough bakery, pick up a fresh loaf, walk around the square to cheese factory, pickup some cheese and butter, walk around the square to Sausage Factory, then head on out to Sebastini Vineyards, get a bottle of vino and have a picnic or go to Jack London's home for history but hide wine from forest rangers!!!!! DON'T HIKE OUT TO OLD HOUSE, IT'S NOT WORTH IT. eVERYTHING ELSE IS WONDERFUL. Tip: Traveling around, pickup styoform cooler to keep all those good eats and drinks cold, if flying dump the cooler when heading home. A WONDERFUL DAY!!!! LINDA
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: NW Arizona to Sonoma, CA, & up 101 to WA 2003/10/22 15:50:09 (permalink)
    Uncle fudd, you'll need coffee in the morning, and , if you're like myself and my wife, you'll need an afternoon cup also, maybe more.

San Francisco: Chestnut Street Roastery. One block to your right off of Hwy 101 when it turns from Van Ness to Lombard. Great pastries and really good fresh roasted coffee. Next door, a great little grocery store deli with many varieties of salads and sandwiches for a picnic.

Eureka, Has Beans coffee shop, Avenue I, a few blocks west of 101, good home made banana bread and that sort of thing with your good cup o' joe
    also in Eureka, Los Bagels bagel shop(one in Arcata also) good fresh hot bagels n' stuff

Linda's Breakfast in Seaview Washington. Go through town and come back to 101, it's only a few blocks. Great breakfast served all day. all freshly made stuff, nothing from packages. Midwestern folks doing their thing out on the coast, very hearty and they make a great hangtown fry.(oyster omelette)

McGriff
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: NW Arizona to Sonoma, CA, & up 101 to WA 2003/10/22 16:03:02 (permalink)
    The Whales Tale in Newport, OR is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Also in Newport try the seafood lasagna in a lemon cream sauce at Don Petrie's. Yes to the Otis cafe, I love their molasses dark bread, buy a loaf. In Yachats. OR I like to do breakfast at the Adobe Inn, more for the ocean view setting, but it has a good crab omlette, it seems to draw a more senior crowd. In Florence,OR I like Synoves (not sure of spelling)it is run by a Scandanvian couple, they have wonderful vegtable sides, rolls, and I usally order a seafood entrees. Happy Planning.
    vinelady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: NW Arizona to Sonoma, CA, & up 101 to WA 2003/10/23 17:38:49 (permalink)
    I would recommend Roseanne in Oceanside,OR. The food is wonderful and the view can't be beat (they are right on the ocean).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1