NY deli style potato salad with canned potatoes?

Author
TrentonDog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 736
2010/09/30 15:49:23 (permalink)

NY deli style potato salad with canned potatoes?

Just wondering if anyone has had success in making potato salad with canned white potatoes. I use canned potatoes on my cart as part of a polish sausage sandwich (with potatoes, kraut and mustard), so I have plenty on hand. Just wondering if they are suitable for potato salad. (I won't be selling this, just making for family picnics)

-Trent (local heath department rules mandate the use of a can opener on many things I serve....)

9 Replies Related Threads

bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1338
    Re:NY deli style potato salad with canned potatoes? 2010/09/30 18:11:50 (permalink)
    TrentonDog Just wondering if anyone has had success in making potato salad with canned white potatoes. I use canned potatoes on my cart as part of a polish sausage sandwich (with potatoes, kraut and mustard), so I have plenty on hand. Just wondering if they are suitable for potato salad. (I won't be selling this, just making for family picnics)

Virtually all the canned potatoes I have tried are too hard for potato salad. I generally just nuke a few potatoes and leave them in the fridge overnight.

Bart
    TrentonDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:NY deli style potato salad with canned potatoes? 2010/09/30 20:07:11 (permalink)
    The brand that I use (Hanover) isn't too hard, but I get what you're saying because they are harder than what people expect. Even if I cook them a little more, it will take a lot of work out of making potato salad. (peeling taters is time consuming!)
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1338
    Re:NY deli style potato salad with canned potatoes? 2010/10/01 11:30:49 (permalink)
    TrentonDog The brand that I use (Hanover) isn't too hard, but I get what you're saying because they are harder than what people expect. Even if I cook them a little more, it will take a lot of work out of making potato salad. (peeling taters is time consuming!)

Point taken. I use red-skins, and keep the skin on (but I DO have to scrub the guys very thoroughly). I will have to experiment with cooking/cooling times on the canned stuff. I agree that Hanover is a decent brand, btw.

Bart
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8318
    Re:NY deli style potato salad with canned potatoes? 2010/10/01 11:37:50 (permalink)
    If you make the canned potatoes in to German Potato Salad the extra hardness should go un-noticed.

Then you could also serve German red slaw!
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    Re:NY deli style potato salad with canned potatoes? 2010/10/01 12:28:30 (permalink)
    I like to add onion to my potatoes while they are cooking for flavor, so no, I wouldn't even think about using canned for potato salad.  Now, saying that, I have never had a canned potato to my knowledge. As bartl notes, use the reds and make fresh.
    TrentonDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:NY deli style potato salad with canned potatoes? 2010/10/01 14:37:24 (permalink)
    No doubt fresh is best. I figured since I have tons of these potatos around, they may have other uses. They aren't too bad if you drizzle some olive oil on them, add some herbs and bake them.

I might just give the canned potato salad a try one day. The german potato salad sounds like it would work better than the NY deli style salad.

-Trent
    TrentonDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:NY deli style potato salad with canned potatoes? 2010/10/01 17:39:22 (permalink)
    I was thinking that maybe I should cut up the canned taters, boil them in the vinegar/sugar mixture for a few minutes, drain and cool/refrigerate. Then add the onions, celery, and mayo to finish off.

Anyone have a good german potato salad recipe to try?

Thanks for the advice!

-Trent

BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:NY deli style potato salad with canned potatoes? 2010/10/02 07:23:00 (permalink)
    I don't see many Roadfood trip reports stopping at restaurants with canned potato salad. We take the time to steam , peel and cut the potatoes to make a good fresh potato salad for or clients. This idea may work for the open can family picnic,but it has no place in a restaurant that offers a quality food service menu.......................Chef Bill........Just sayin'
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    Re:NY deli style potato salad with canned potatoes? 2010/10/19 21:43:12 (permalink)
    Sorry, canned potato salad is just so wrong.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1