NYC Subway Candy!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
flowercat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
2003/10/19 16:18:47 (permalink)

NYC Subway Candy!

Does anyone else remember NYC Subway Candy? When I was very young and living in Queens, my father would sometimes bring home candy from the subway, it was mainly either a kind of peanut bar (Planters?) or Chiclets in a two pack.

33 Replies Related Threads

hotdogger
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2003/11/12 02:57:28 (permalink)
    I remember buying Necco Wafers from candy machines that were on NYC subway platforms when I was a kid.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2003/11/14 17:25:33 (permalink)
    necco wafers!! OH MY ==- talk about a blast from the past.. my father used to bring those home from the city - i used to look forward to him coming home to see what kind of candy he had with him on that day.. thanks for the memory!
    bxfinest
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/12 17:00:49 (permalink)
    Yall remember Reggie(Jackson) Bars?
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/12 18:08:52 (permalink)
    Reggie Jackson bars? Hmmm...definitely from a later era than my recollections of NYC subway candy!

I recall that the subway platforms in the early-middle '50s had little vending machines that were bolted to some of the steel columns on the platform. They dispensed very small chocolate bars, similar to the size of those mediocre-quality Hershey miniatures of today.

I distinctly remember tasting my first DARK chocolate from one of these little machines, and it was a revelation for an 8 year old kid who was used to the insipid milk chocolate that predominated at that time. I have no clue as to what the brand was, but I am sure that it was not anything well-known, and I do remember that the dark chocolate came in a purple colored wrapper.

When my Aunt would come over to visit, she could usually be counted upon to have a little stash of some of these subway-sourced dark chocolate bars in her pocketbook. Although I suspect that the chocolate from those machines was not especially fresh, that first experience with dark chocolate was certainly memorable, and it altered my preferences in chocolate from that day onward.

Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/12 18:25:56 (permalink)
    Subway candy, what a nice little slice of life of NYC back in the day.
    I think you can still get the candy you mentioned, but I doubt it will ever measure up to the special subway candy your father lovingly brought home.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/12 19:17:02 (permalink)
    My Dad brought Superdawgs and Beatles trading cards home when we were kids. He was the coolest Dad ever! He also bought these Seven-Up bars from Lymann- Sargent-... spelled wrong i'm sure drugstore in Wilmette IL that were a favorite of my Mom and us. I just hated that Filbert in there! And we did see the Beatles at Comiskey...
    Tedbear
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/13 10:44:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

My Dad brought Superdawgs and Beatles trading cards home when we were kids. He was the coolest Dad ever! He also bought these Seven-Up bars from Lymann- Sargent-... spelled wrong i'm sure drugstore in Wilmette IL that were a favorite of my Mom and us. I just hated that Filbert in there! And we did see the Beatles at Comiskey...

I never knew that the NYC Subway ran that far!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/13 12:30:12 (permalink)
    quote:

I never knew that the NYC Subway ran that far!

Sometimes it seems like it...especially if your car has no a/c!!
    CaryMG
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/13 16:40:38 (permalink)
    The vending machines were bolted to the pillars.
    They sold "Chiclets" & combs -- the comb machine's had mirrors.

You can see 'em *here .....
    1] "The Exorcist" > When Father Karras comes across a wino in the subway, you can see one in back of the good father.
    2] "Short Walk To Daylight" > In this TV movie, a junkie busts one open for the sugar -- www.imdb.com/title/tt0069263/
    cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/13 18:32:00 (permalink)
    I have a Reggie bar poster in my home. That was my vice.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/13 22:36:18 (permalink)
    Not only Hershey bars, and I think Nestle's Crunch (and Mounds/Almond Joys????) but gum. Including the Black Jack and the violet-scented one.

But what really blows me away is the memory of the DRINK machines, that used to dispense tepid, slightly sweet "orangeade" into OPEN cups. Can you imagine? I drank that stuff for years, never got sick. Today they'd have the Food Nazis there in milliseconds.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/14 00:42:43 (permalink)
    Does anyone know when they pulled out all of those machines from the subway platforms? When I came to New York in the mid-eighties they must of been long gone...did the newspaper vendors on the subway platforms (who seem to do a good business in candy and soda sales) put an end to them? Or maybe the ubiquitous "school kids" who walk through the cars selling chocolates to raise money for their "schools?" You can tell that some of these vendors are a little past their grammar/high school years; they look like they are in their mid-twenties at least, but hey, guess it's a quick way to make a buck.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/14 08:54:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tacchino

Does anyone know when they pulled out all of those machines from the subway platforms? When I came to New York in the mid-eighties they must of been long gone...did the newspaper vendors on the subway platforms (who seem to do a good business in candy and soda sales) put an end to them? Or maybe the ubiquitous "school kids" who walk through the cars selling chocolates to raise money for their "schools?" You can tell that some of these vendors are a little past their grammar/high school years; they look like they are in their mid-twenties at least, but hey, guess it's a quick way to make a buck.

my best guess is that they pulled the machines in the late sixties/early seventies, but that's a guess. i always assumed that it was for health reasons. looking back, those juice machines were pretty scary, unsealed, unrefrigerated, brrrrrr. i said i never got sick, but i also have a cast iron stomach. (only time i ever got food poisoning was when i ate some fried clams. oh, and the goat stew in the backwoods of puerto rico, but that could have been all the bacardi and the india beer as well, to be honest).
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 181
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/14 10:12:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CaryMG

The vending machines were bolted to the pillars.
    They sold "Chiclets" & combs -- the comb machine's had mirrors.

You can see 'em *here .....
    1] "The Exorcist" > When Father Karras comes across a wino in the subway, you can see one in back of the good father.
    2] "Short Walk To Daylight" > In this TV movie, a junkie busts one open for the sugar -- www.imdb.com/title/tt0069263/
    " />
    Those little wall/pillar-mounted vendors that were in the NYC subways from the 30's until whenever are regularly available on eBay, there are at least several being offered right now. They were made by Mills and sold tab gum and other similar sized items and were usually stainless steel, but some were painted also. Since they were built to last, they are usually found in good working order and replacement decals (usually Adams gum with a lady pictured from the 30's) are readily available, if the keys are not present, any real locksmith (not a hardware store, a locksmith) can cut a replacement key and tab gum to fit ithem is also available. They were rugged little machines built like tanks (hey, they were built to be left alone in NYC subways 24/7, need I say more?) that are nostalgic as well as functional.

BTW, I do collect coin-op, but I do not have any of these listed on eBay, if anyone wants help finding the replacement decals, machines, or tab gum, I would be glad to point them in the proper direction.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/14 18:31:38 (permalink)
    Black Jack Gum!!!Violets!!!Yum. Blast from the past! (Remember the rattan seats on the subways circa 1950 that used to fray and cut your legs?) I used to chew and ride reading "Archie" comics with Betty, Veronica and Reggie! (some Donald and Daisy in my regressed days...) Then come out in the open for Nedick's hot dogs and orange drink.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/14 20:04:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

Nedick's hot dogs and orange drink.

My college roomate (in Baltimore) was Flatbush born and bred and he used to get cravings for this stuff, but especially Ebinger's cupcakes. More than once, when the need would overcome him, we'd pile in the car and drive from Baltimore to Brooklyn to satisfy his craving (and my curiosity). Besides Nedick's and Ebingers, the NY food tour usually included a hot dog at the original Nathan's on the Coney Island boardwalk.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/14 20:42:23 (permalink)
    BT: I was wondering when someone would mention Ebingers!!!!
    Mint green and brown hatched box. Now, what was that chocolate cake called? You know, light choc. and dark choc. with little chocolate "crumbs"; tasted sort of mocha-ish. Blackout cake?
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/14 21:48:06 (permalink)
    Yup, blackout cake. And about 10 years ago, someone revived the Ebinger's operation. Pretty good stuff - miles better than the odious Entenmann's - but the blackout cake was disappointing, as I recall. Of course, it had achieved such legendary status that it could hardly have lived up to its billing.

Actually, NYNM, I wasn't much of a skirt-wearer in those days, so the rattan didn't do much damage. And looking back it seems that I hardly ever got a seat anyway.
    Tedbear
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/15 10:07:32 (permalink)
    quote:

Black Jack Gum!!!Violets!!!Yum. Blast from the past! (Remember the rattan seats on the subways circa 1950 that used to fray and cut your legs?) I used to chew and ride reading "Archie" comics with Betty, Veronica and Reggie! (some Donald and Daisy in my regressed days...) Then come out in the open for Nedick's hot dogs and orange drink.

Yes, I remember all of that stuff very clearly, especially the rattan seats that frequently seemed to be sticking you in your butt when you sat down. And, while we are on memory lane, how about those ceiling fans?

In our more safety-conscious era, it seems pretty hard to believe that they used to have ceiling fans spinning just a foot or so above the heads of adults! I was only a kid at the time, so the fans were pretty far above me, but the adults were standing right under those things.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/15 10:25:24 (permalink)
    also, it seems to me that the subways and busses were about the only places you couldn't smoke, apart from operating rooms. i'm a reformed smoker, but i'll never get over the craving, and i remember enjoying a cigarette in the balcony of the local movie theatre and in my college library.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/16 23:23:06 (permalink)
    Yup. Those drab olive green subway cars. Yes, the fans, too. I believe they have a few of these cars on display at the NYC Transit Museum in Brooklyn and still have special "runs" of them from time to time. Perhpas we should suggest they sell candiy (two-fers Chiclets, of course) on those trips...
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/16 23:25:26 (permalink)
    Yup. Those drab olive green subway cars. Yes, the ceiling fans, too. (and some wierd sort of "posts" or brakes of something on the floor?) I believe they have a few of these cars on display at the NYC Transit Museum in Brooklyn and still have special "runs" of them from time to time. Perhaps we should suggest they sell candiy (two-fers Chiclets, of course) on those trips...
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/17 00:17:51 (permalink)
    Look familiar guys?

They are still running here in SF.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/17 08:06:46 (permalink)
    Doesn't look familiar to me, because that's not a subway car, it's a street car.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/17 12:25:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scallion1

Doesn't look familiar to me, because that's not a subway car, it's a street car.

Of course, but it's from Brooklyn and I think the color is the same.

Oh, forget it. I was just trying to help you all along with the nostalgia trip. We do NOT run ancient NY subway cars here (we have brand new ones) so I can't supply a picture of those.

For everybody else, I believe I did read that these streetcars were once so numerous in Brooklyn that Brooklynites came to be known as "streetcar dodgers" which morphed into the name of a certain sports team.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/17 16:59:31 (permalink)
    Do you know the "circa" of these streetcars? I grew up in Brooklyn in the 50's and I remember them being a lighter more yellowish green....
    (PS Keep up the nostalgia!)
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/17 18:13:13 (permalink)
    quote:

Do you know the "circa" of these streetcars? I grew up in Brooklyn in the 50's and I remember them being a lighter more yellowish green....
    (PS Keep up the nostalgia!)

Here's what SF's Market St. Railway (a volunteer group which helps SF Municipal Railway refurbish and run the old cars: http://www.streetcar.org/fline/streetcars/index.html ) says, "Brooklyn & Queens Transit Corporation was the first property to take delivery of a PCC prototype for testing, and joined Pittsburgh and Chicago as the first to operate production cars in late 1936. Brooklyn’s trolley lines included one that crossed Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan, as well as one serving Coney Island. The trolleys left Brooklyn in 1956, one year ahead of the baseball team named for them. Brooklyn PCCs sported two paint schemes, both unusual. The original was called "Pachyderm gray", almost coppery in the sun, with a scarlet stripe under the windows. In 1946, after the City of New York took over operation, a light green and silver livery replaced it, as seen on the outside of No. 1053, which is numbered to honor Brooklyn PCC prototype car No. 5300."
    Tedbear
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/17 18:16:59 (permalink)

I am also curious about the era when those street cars ran. What I do remember from the '50s were what we used to call "trolley-buses"--a bus, with rubber tires, that was powered by overhead electric wires. I seem to recall seeing the same sort of thing in SF, in addition to the aforementioned Streetcars.

There may have also been Streetcars in Brooklyn, in addition to the "Trolley-buses", but I never saw any in Bay Ridge or surrounding neighborhoods, circa 1955. Which neighborhoods still had the Streetcars in the 1950s?
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: NYC Subway Candy! 2005/08/17 18:25:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tedbear

What I do remember from the '50s were what we used to call "trolley-buses"--a bus, with rubber tires, that was powered by overhead electric wires. I seem to recall seeing the same sort of thing in SF, in addition to the aforementioned Streetcars.

Yes, SF has lots of them because SF gets essentially free electricity from O'Shaughnessy Dam/Hetch Hetchy Resevoir in the Sierras to run the system. Also, the electric trolleys are much better than diesel busses at climbing hills. I mentioned in another thread I have had to get out (along with all the other passengers) of a diesel bus and walk to the top of a hill so that the bus could make it up, but that doesn't happen with the electrics.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1