NYC Weekend Trip Report

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7965
2006/05/11 18:05:32 (permalink)

NYC Weekend Trip Report

Finally found enough time to report back on my trip last weekend.
Sorry no photos but I'm going to try on my upcoming baseball trip.
I left Rhode Island last Thursday just after 3pm. After battling gridlock through Stamford CT and heavy traffic I finally arrived in New Jersey approximately 3 hours and 45 minutes later.

My friend Ian and I decided to head to the local Kosher (and yes it's Kosher) deli in Montvale NJ called the Manhattan Kosher Deli.
Although it seems to be a habit lately, I ordered the stuffed cabbage which came with salad bar, vegetable medly and real mashed potatos. I also ordered a cup of Matzo Ball Soup and Ian and I shared a side of Kasha Varnishkes. The Stuffed Cabbage arrived, it was OK, I wasn't impressed with the reddish brown Sauce, it was actually the same sauce which came with the Kasha Varnishkes and that combination seemed to fare better as it was actually really good. The Matzo Ball Soup was ok too. On the way out I picked up some Rugelach and hamentaschen to go for one of my coworkers back home, I was also given a free sample of Rasberry Rugelach- delish!

The next morning my friend and I went to Ronny's Bagel's in Hillsdale New Jersey. This place is more than just a bagel shop. You can order full breakfasts, hot lunches, muffins, pastries, even smoothies! I had the Oat Bran Bagel with Creamcheese and it was really good.

Later that morning I drove into the city. I was going to meet up with my friend Alan who was visiting for the week from Seattle. I hadn't seen him in 8 years. The ride into the city was just over 1/2 an hour- no traffic at all. I parked my car in the parking garage on the west side and walked to my hotel- Crowne Plaza Time Square and only $125 on price line. I met up with Alan at the hotel. And we walked to Ray's Pizza in Greenwich Village. Although not the best pizza in New York, Ray's still bakes a pretty mean slice. I got one big slice of Spinach Pizza. Like most of Ray's Toppings, the Spinach is added and then covered with an extra layer of cheese. And unlike most spinach slices, this one had red sauce. Truly one of the best Spinach Slices I've had. After lunch we walked to So Ho and perused some of the galleries. I then dropped Alan off in Chelsea where he was staying with a friend and walked back to my hotel to meet up with Stevekoe who was in the NYC area on business.

After chatting for a while we walked to Chelseay to pick up Alan and headed to Little Italy. Alan on his previous visit had gone to La Luna on Mulberry Street a casual inexpensive eatery known for doling out large portions at cheap prices. Imagine Alan's dissapointment when he found out the place closed up about a year and a half ago.
We ended up being enticed by a guy wearing a chicken on his head, you got it- The Maitre D' at Fratelli Ristorante www.littleitalynyc.com/restaurant.asp?rest=FRATELLI was wearing a rubber chicken. A lively character, "Jose" who hails from the Dominican Republic and his band of Chilean waiters are a colorful bunch who made the evening delightful. After ordering a pitcher of stellar Sangria, I ordered the Veal Sorrentina which comes with a light sauce topped with Prosciutto, Mozzarella and Egglplant and a choice of Pasta. The Veal was absolutely delicious. Towards the end of the night, Alan's friend joined us and the waiter brought over a complimentary 2/3 of a pitcher of more Sangria for the table. This place was definetely one of the highlights of the weekend. After parting ways with Alan, his friend and Stevekoe I walked the 3/4 of a mile back to my hotel.

The next morning I was supposed to hook up with Alan and his friend for Dim Sum in Chinatown, I managed to find offstreet parking at 18th and 8th, returned to my hotel, however due to an inoperable message light on the hotel phone and my lack of a cell phone, I got the call too late. I decided to walk back to my car after checking out. On the way I stumbled across Manganero's by accident. Well, perfect time to have lunch. I ordered a Veal Parm Hero which was huge. I decided to eat half of it and would bring the other half to my friends Steve and Andrea on Long Island.

I arrived on Long Island after an hours drive. It was Derby day and my friend Steve decided to head to the OTB and place a bet. We actually headed into Fort Lee NJ that night to visit our friends Glenn and Natalie. We headed to a Greek Restaurant in Fort Lee called "It's Greek to Me" after sharing a Tzatziki and Pita appetizer which was really good and a calamari appetizer which tasted like fried rubber" I had Moussaka which was nothing special, I've had better. We then headed to the Meadowlands for a some harness horse racing. I'm not much of a gambler and I've never betted on a horse before. However I put 2 bucks down on a horse called "All Over The Place" and won twenty bucks. That was the only bet I placed that evening, hey I was $18 ahead!

The next morning back on Long Island we headed to the diner I grew up with, The East Bay Diner in Bellmore for breakfast. I ordered the Spinach Feta Omelette which comes with homefries, toast (whole wheat for me) I also got a side of bacon. The diners on Long Island do and excellent job with the omelettes. Instead of frying the egg around the spinach and feta, it's actually cooked right in with the egg and it's well done, just the way I like it. After parting ways, I drove up the Seaford Oyster Bay and took Route 110 to 25A the scenic route to the Orient Point New London Ferry. I stopped at Station Pizza and Brew near my old alma mater, SUNY Stony Brook for a couple of stellar Chicken Parm Pizza Slices. A nice finishing touch for my weekend.

10 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: NYC Weekend Trip Report 2006/05/11 18:20:37 (permalink)
    Nice write WJ and I am anxious to hear more of your travels.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    RE: NYC Weekend Trip Report 2006/05/11 20:41:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

Finally found enough time to report back on my trip last weekend.
    Sorry no photos but I'm going to try on my upcoming baseball trip.

A nice finishing touch for my weekend.

Great report...thanks for sharing. I like Fratelli...never had a bad meal there. Next time you are heading out to Orient for the ferry, make a detour from 25A to s5 at Riverhead and stop at Snowflake Ice Cream for dessert. It is well worth the detour!

There is also a darn good Greek place waaaay out toward Orient...it is just about the last place to eat before the ferry landing.

What did you think of Manganaro's?

If you are ever out this way, and looking for a dining companion (although it sounds like your dance card is quite full), let me know...it would be nice to meet a fellow road food fan!

oh...and do you need a valet or luggage carrier for that upcoming baseball journey?? I work for food.
    cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: NYC Weekend Trip Report 2006/05/12 00:20:24 (permalink)
    Which Manganaro's did you go to. I actually find the fake newer Manganaro's better. I know that's wrong. But the parm heroes are killer.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: NYC Weekend Trip Report 2006/05/12 00:27:12 (permalink)
    Great report. Enjoyed reading it.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: NYC Weekend Trip Report 2006/05/12 00:36:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cornfed

Which Manganaro's did you go to. I actually find the fake newer Manganaro's better. I know that's wrong. But the parm heroes are killer.

The "new" one has been there for almost 40 years now! I remember going there in the late 60's...when I got this card...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12280

I agree with you about the heroes, so I can't say you are wrong!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    RE: NYC Weekend Trip Report 2006/05/12 00:53:18 (permalink)
    First, I want to thank Dale for inviting me to tag along with he and his friends for an evening of dining in NYC. His friend, Alan, is quite an engaging character who can converse on a broad array of topics -- least of all 1960s era European soccer. For any of you who have had conversations with either Dale or myself, or read any of our lengthy posts or emails, you know that neither of us is ever really at a loss for words, but Alan kept us well entertained, and almost silent for the better part of the evening!

Fratelli was AWESOME. One of the best meals that I have had in recent memory. I don't know that I would classify this as "roadfood," per se, as this is no $10 meal, but boy was it good.

The sangria was widely described at the table as the "best ever" tasted. I am no sangria connosieur, but it was darn tasty. My meal was the farfalle special of the night - salmon and jumbo shrimp in a creamy herb/basil sauce over bowtie pasta. It was fabulous. As bummed as we all were that we would not be eating at La Luna (maybe more because Alan was so bummed that he couldn't share his place with us), Fratelli scored big time!

One last note on the evening. I made a major tactical error on my return trip. I paid no attention to the time, and made no effort to make the XXXX train - I just showed up, and when the next train came, I would get on. Well, I am not nearly as versed in the Jersey side PATH trains as I am the LIRR, and I learned a few very valuable lessons -- (1) make sure you are heading in the right direction - no matter what the crazy latino guy on the train tells you; (2) pay attention to the time -- because even though the PATH trains run 24 hours a day, the light rail (to which I was connecting) does not! So, I played the role of total touron -- and missed the last light rail train from Jersey City to where my car was parked -- cost me a $15 cab ride instead!
    GB944
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: NYC Weekend Trip Report 2006/05/12 08:01:28 (permalink)
    Great report!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: NYC Weekend Trip Report 2006/05/12 12:45:54 (permalink)
    Tony, I thought the Hero Roll at Manganero's was the best. That's what a Hero Roll should look and taste like. The Sandwich itself was good, however I didn't think that the sauce had much flavor, the only downfall. Cornfedd, I went to the original Manganero's but look forward to trying the "newer" place next door. Tony, The next time I head back to "the Island" we should definetely get together.

Pigiron, I was wondering who that was standing behind the fern plants taking pictures! By the the time I got to East Bay Diner it started to catch on and I said to myself "gee that guy looks familiar!"All kidding aside, it just goes to show you that we have good taste. Now that I think about it I think I was too harsh on the Moussaka at "It's Greek to me" it was good but I had so much better in Detroit's Greektown and also at this Greek Restaurant in Hungington Long Island the name of which escapes me. I've even had better Moussaka at the Post Road Diner in Norwalk CT.

Stevekoe, sorry to hear about your transportation misadventure. You're right about Alan, if I were ever on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" he's the first person I would call on the "phone a friend lifeline!"
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: NYC Weekend Trip Report 2006/05/12 13:00:22 (permalink)
    quote:

Tony, I thought the Hero Roll at Manganero's was the best. That's what a Hero Roll should look and taste like. The Sandwich itself was good, however I didn't think that the sauce had much flavor, the only downfall. Cornfedd, I went to the original Manganero's but look forward to trying the "newer" place next door. Tony, The next time I head back to "the Island" we should definetely get together.

I would really enjoy meeting you...you are one of my favorite posters on this site! Is the Greek place in Huntington the Mediterranian Snack Bar?

http://www.medsnackbar.com/

It is a simple place, but has very good food!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: NYC Weekend Trip Report 2006/05/12 17:33:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:

I would really enjoy meeting you...you are one of my favorite posters on this site! Is the Greek place in Huntington the Mediterranian Snack Bar?

http://www.medsnackbar.com/

It is a simple place, but has very good food!

It's possible. I'll check with my friend who lives in Dix Hills since he is the one who took me there.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1