NYC for Christmas

Author
Buzzbait82
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
2012/12/06 15:50:48 (permalink)

NYC for Christmas

Hi guys,
    I am taking my wife to NYC after Christmas through New Years.  We are staying close to Times Square.  I know (from what I have heard) there are not really any good places to eat in Times Square but I am sure there are plenty within a short walk or cab ride.  We going to be there for 4 days and are looking to experience as much as we can.  I am hoping for: at least one fine dining meal, one Jewish Deli, good italian, something Roadfoody, something foreign, and any other suggestions are welcome.  Before anyone says anything, I know there are other posts about NYC but I was hoping for some fresh and new suggestions.

We are also big fans of bars and plan on doing our fair share of drinking so any recommendations there would be wlecome also.

Thanks
post edited by Buzzbait82 - 2012/12/06 15:53:49

21 Replies Related Threads

bigdog540
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/06 16:08:02 (permalink)
    Great bar scene and blues just a few blocks away from Times Sq.
    B.B. King's

http://www.bbkingblues.com/

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/06 16:10:11 (permalink)
    As far as the cocktails...a drink at The Library Bar in the Paramount Hotel will be a drink you will remember forever. It gives an amazing perspective of being in and  surrounded by NYC...for the same price a cocktail will cost anywhere else in NYC...with a great big bonus...

435 West 46th Street

http://www.nycparamount.com/overview
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/12/06 16:21:46
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/07 08:04:00 (permalink)
    For something foreign...(right across the street from Paramount)...

Pergola Des Artistes.

It's real authentic Roadfood county French. Been there 50 years. Family-owned. Delicious food...nice warm atmosphere. The prices are a throwback to decades past.

For a few extra dollars from a glass of wine or a fast food meal...you get a meal that is very unique and opposite from the normal cast in "the heart of" Times Square.

If you catch a flyer being circulated on the block at certain times... the glass of wine is free...with an additional 10% savings.

http://www.pergoladesartistes.com/
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/07 08:14:34 (permalink)
    If you collect bars, this is one you shouldn't miss.

http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/home.html

Some say it is a dump, and I can't argue that point, but it is a historic place and worth a stop for a beer. 
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/07 09:58:46 (permalink)
    Buzzbait82 
      We are staying close to Times Square.  I know (from what I have heard) there are not really any good places to eat in Times Square but I am sure there are plenty within a short walk or cab ride. 

Actually, there are several fantastic restaurants in Times Square (more or less, depending on how you define the area).  Mario Batali's Esca comes to mind.  But you are wise for wanting to venture out of that area.  It's just dreadful.  

Buzzbait82 
    We going to be there for 4 days and are looking to experience as much as we can.  I am hoping for: at least one fine dining meal, one Jewish Deli, good italian, something Roadfoody, something foreign, and any other suggestions are welcome.  Before anyone says anything, I know there are other posts about NYC but I was hoping for some fresh and new suggestions.

"Something foreign" is just a tad vague.  There are 20,000 restaurants in NYC (twenty THOUSAND).  I would venture to guess that a vast majority of them can be considered "foreign".  Is there a region of the world that you could narrow it down to?  

And although the list is not as long for "fine dining", it's nearly as hard to make a suggestion.  You're better off giving a price range.  (For example: If money is NO object, that's one list; under $200 for dinner for 2 is another, etc...)

"Good Italian"- fuggetaboudit.  You must narrow that down too.  Just so many spectacular choices. Gun to my head, Il Mulino is my favorite.  The food is great, but it's an old-school experience that's unforgettable.  

"Jewish Deli", well now THERE'S a short list.  In my opinion, there's only 2 in Manhattan worth visiting at all.  Second Avenue Deli for Kosher (best bets there are matzoh ball soup, kasha varnishkes, chopped liver); and the "Kosher style" (which really means "not kosher") Katz's, - for hands down, the best pastrami on the face of the earth.  They also have spectacular corned beef, hot dogs, knoblewurst and a fine salami omelette.  Another great thing about Katz's is that it's in a wonderful historic neighborhood filled with destination food stops (Yonah Schimmels, Economy Candy, and the sublime Russ and Daughters for example).  If you're thinking "Jewish breakfast", you cannot go wrong with a visit to Barney Greengrass. 

For "something roadfoody", I suggest a visit to midtownlunch.com.  There you'll find a comprehensive reporting of the food truck scene, as well as hundreds of under-$10 lunch suggestions.  They also host a "twitter tracker", so you can see where each truck is each day.  I would search out El Rey Del Sabor (Mexican) or Bian Dang (Taiwanese fried chicken).  

Buzzbait82 
    We are also big fans of bars and plan on doing our fair share of drinking so any recommendations there would be wlecome also. 

I would go for the historic places while you're here.  McSorley's is definitely old, and definitely fun, but you'll have to tolerate a LOT of loud, obnoxious 21 year old frat boys.  The King Cole Bar at the St. Regis Hotel is worth a visit just to check it out.  Bring lots of money.  My favorite dive bar is PDT, which is hidden behind Crif's Dogs.  The Ear Inn on Spring Street is (arguably) the oldest bar in NYC (I think it's really called "Bar", but the "B" in the sign is partially obscured.)  My favorite Irish bar is Molly's Pub and Shebeen.   If you're looking for ultra-hip clubs and celebrity haunts- I'm afraid I can't help you there.  

Have a great trip!
    Buzzbait82
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/07 11:36:12 (permalink)
    Pigiron,
       Thanks for all the suggestions.  As for your follow ups.

Something Foreign:  Being from the South, Middle Eastern or Indian are really some cusines we do not see much of.  Down here there is plenty of Greek, Mexican, and Thai, so we are looking for something we have not tried.

Fine Dining:  I would like to say money is no object but I am sure New York can probably break me if I gave it the chance.  I would say around $300 for dinner for two with drinks would be a good start.

Good Italian:  Looking for a good homestyle italian meal.  Pasta, red sauce, meat.  Doesn't need to be upscale.  More interested in a "New York" experience.

Jewish Deli:  I have been to Katz's before an loved it so that is probably a no-brainer for a lunch.  As for the Jewish breakfast.  How difficult would it be to get to one of these places from our hotel (in Times Square).  As I mentioned we plan on hitting the bars so I do not see us travelling too far in the morning before we come out of our haze.

Bars:  I actually have been to McSorely's before when I was a loud obnoxious 21 year old frat boy.  I can attest to the fun just not sure the wife would agree.  I have also had NY based friends suggest PDT but they said I must make a reservation.  Also I know it is a little bit of a trip to get there so I guess we will plan accordingly.

Thanks for all the tips! 
    Pigiron
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/07 12:54:57 (permalink)
    Buzzbait82
    Something Foreign:  Being from the South, Middle Eastern or Indian are really some cusines we do not see much of.  Down here there is plenty of Greek, Mexican, and Thai, so we are looking for something we have not tried. 

For Indian food, you can venture down to East 6th Street betw 1st and 2nd. It's a full block wall-to-wall of small Indian restaurants.  It's a dazzling sight.  My favorite down there is Brick Lane Curry House.  Another great neighborhood is "Curry Hill", which is the vicinity of Lexington and 26th.  Lots of Indian and Pakistani spots.  While you're there, a MUST visit is Kalustuyan's, which is the greatest spice store I've ever seen.  It's at 123 Lexington, and if you're a history buff, it's worth a visit as the former home of Chester A. Arthur.  He was actually sworn into office there (there's not ever so much as a plaque to signify this).  

For middle eastern food, head back to midtownlunch.com and find some falafel or shwarma.  There's dozens of great spots.  

Of course, if you want to explore the outer boroughs, that's a whole other story.  You could spend a year on Roosevelt Avenue in Queens and still never complete the culinary tour around the world.  

Buzzbait82 Fine Dining:  I would like to say money is no object but I am sure New York can probably break me if I gave it the chance.  I would say around $300 for dinner for two with drinks would be a good start.

Enough said.  Read up on these, each one is astoundingly good in my book:
    Daniel, Aureole, Gotham, Gramercy Tavern, Jean Georges, Veritas, Nobu, JoJo, and Mario Batali's Babbo and Del posto.

Buzzbait82
    Good Italian:  Looking for a good homestyle italian meal.  Pasta, red sauce, meat.  Doesn't need to be upscale.  More interested in a "New York" experience.

The Manhattan red-sauce Italian restaurant is nearly extinct.  John's of 12th Street (not to be confused with Johns of Bleeker Street- which is also fantastic) is a real throwback.  Great food.  Also, you would never regret a trip to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx- the only real Little Italy left in New York.  

Buzzbait82
    Jewish Deli:  I have been to Katz's before an loved it so that is probably a no-brainer for a lunch.  As for the Jewish breakfast.  How difficult would it be to get to one of these places from our hotel (in Times Square).  

Barney Greengrass is a very easy subway ride from Times Square- straight up to 86th street on the 1,2,3.  Maybe a 15 minute trip- probably less. However, the Edison Cafe  in the lobby of the Hotel Edison does a very good Jewish breakfast.  It goes by the nickname, "The Polish Tea Room".  

hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1106
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/07 13:58:27 (permalink)
    2nd vote for Brick Lane Curry House if you like Indian.  I had it last Ocotber and then went to London this summer and had Indian food twice.  Brick Lane in New York was much much better.  And it is within walking distance of the Big Gay Ice Cream Store which is a great way to cool your mouth down after curry.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/07 14:33:10 (permalink)
    The Gingerbread Extravaganza will be happening through 12/31 in the lobby of Le Parker Meridien. A beautiful display...the best $1 spent in NYC.

It also has a built-in Roadfood burger joint.

http://www.roadfood.com/F...-Ayersian-m704480.aspx
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/07 14:39:06 (permalink)
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/07 16:51:43 (permalink)
    As far as bars are concerned, just a few blocks from Times Square, you shouldn't miss Rudy's Bar & Grill, 627 9th avenue (between 45th & 46th). Been there since 1933. Free hot dogs, cheap drinks , wine and beer (only place I have ever seen wine served in a pint glass, for $3 special last time I was in there). A very mixed crowd, zero fear factor, great jukebox. A true NY experience of the old school.
    http://www.rudysbarnyc.com/home.html

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/07 17:11:55 (permalink)
    How about a twist on this question. Is there any place that anyone knows that will be open ON Christmas Day?

Save the recommendations for hotel restaurants and the Bubba Gump Shrimp in Times Square. My initial thoughts are Chinatown and some of the Jewish(-style) delis. Any other suggestions?
    Pigiron
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/07 18:26:44 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

How about a twist on this question. Is there any place that anyone knows that will be open ON Christmas Day?

I think most restaurants in Manhattan are open on Christmas day.  It's a big day for dining out. Certainly ALL Chinese restaurants across the whole tri-state area are open on Christmas.  Chinese food on Christmas to us Jews is a tradition as rich and old as the holiday itself.  Well, maybe not that old, but you get the point.  
    post edited by Pigiron - 2012/12/07 18:29:34
    WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/11 08:13:41 (permalink)
    Many of the real NYC innovators are in Brooklyn.  There are dozens.  Take the subway and spend a day there.  If you're a steak lover Peter Luger's is a must.  Make sure you order the Bacon appetizer.  The Red Wattle Country Pork Chop I had at Vinegar Hill House was fabulous.  Place is a little hard to find as it is a side street with cobble stones and no signage out front, but well worth the effort.  Get the spicy hot chocolate at Jacques Torres  around the corner if you decide to stand in the long line at Grimaldi's under the bridge (I've never had the patience myself).  Plus the view of Manhattan from there is pretty spectacular, especially at night.  Once I've been to the Roadfood places I usually check out the DDD or  Best Thing You Ever Ate places.  Seldom hit a dog.
    nixienox
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/13 13:58:26 (permalink)
    Death and Company is one of my favorites for cocktails and small plates. http://www.deathandcompany.com/lounge/ Best to get there when they open to avoid a wait. I also like to get a drink in the lobby bar of the Bowery Hotel.
    100 Acres has a sophisticated yet low key menu and good beer and drinks. http://hundredacresnyc.com/
    We recently ate pre-Broadway show, at 5 napkin in Hell's Kitchen http://5napkinburger.com/...kitchen-new-york  Best to get a resy there unless you go at an off time. 4 people of differing tastes and ages all enjoyed it.
    BernieG
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/13 14:27:42 (permalink)
    Wow ! Pigiron, you are NYC food god ! We must have crossed paths over the years since many of the places you recommend are and have been on my short list.  One thing about John's: it is cash only. Not that the bill will be over the top, au contraire, but one should know that going in. 
    And DEFINITELY make a reservation if going on Friday/Saturday. We were there week before last and they must have turned away 2x the number of diners that they had space for. 
    Pigiron
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/13 15:49:58 (permalink)
    BernieG

Wow ! Pigiron, you are NYC food god !

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm just a guy who loves great restaurants and despises bad ones.  Manhattan is where I lived for 20 of the past 22 years.
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1642
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/16 09:28:57 (permalink)
    Did this thread get anyone else thinking about the old Luchows and that giant Christmas tree they used to put up?
    post edited by cavandre - 2012/12/16 15:32:52
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1351
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/16 11:47:38 (permalink)
    cavandre Did this thread get anyone else thinking about the old Luchows and that giant Christmas tree the used to put up?

I was never terribly impressed by Luchows; I preferred the Yorktown area places myself, and they're largely gone, too.

Bart
    ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1053
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/16 12:21:54 (permalink)
    cavandre

Did this thread get anyone else thinking about the old Luchows and that giant Christmas tree the used to put up?

I thought of Luchow right away, and Lindy's for cheese cake!

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:NYC for Christmas 2012/12/16 12:34:12 (permalink)
    That was something...in the middle of a packed room.

http://images.google.com/.../742eb16274232bb1.html
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1