hilldweller
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
2003/10/19 19:33:31 (permalink)

NYC's real heroes

Yummmm...........
quote:
A five-borough tour of New York's best Italian sandwiches
[url='http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/15/dining/15HERO.html']Hey, Po' Boy, Meet Some Real Heroes[/url]

[url='http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/15/dining/15HBOX.html']Locations: Some Worthy of the Name [/url]

If you wanna see some appetizing sandwiches:

[url='http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/15/dining/15HERO.html']Audio Slide Show: New York's Real Heroes (Click on link under "Mutlimedia")[/url]

17 Replies Related Threads

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2003/10/19 22:26:14 (permalink)
    Thanks hilldweller. Now I am going to be hungry all night long!

Really, I enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing that.

John
    bxfinest
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/08 14:29:17 (permalink)
    Now that's what I'm talkn about. The true large sandwich IS called a hero. Too many so-called New Yorkers on this website tend to keep calling em subs. And for the best Heroes of NY look no further than the Bronx. The other 4 boroughs are no slouches by no means especially Manhattan with Katz and Carnagie Deli. But the Bronx makes the best heroes.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/08 15:32:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bxfinest

Now that's what I'm talkn about. The true large sandwich IS called a hero. Too many so-called New Yorkers on this website tend to keep calling em subs. And for the best Heroes of NY look no further than the Bronx. The other 4 boroughs are no slouches by no means especially Manhattan with Katz and Carnagie Deli. But the Bronx makes the best heroes.

Now would you really call what you get at Katz' or the Carnegie Deli a hero? Aren't those sangwiches?

In Manhattan a good hero can be found at Manganaro's Hero Boy or at the Italian Food Center on Grand Street.

I love the delis you mention, but don't think of them as hero places.
    bxfinest
    Hamburger
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/08 18:07:12 (permalink)
    Good point!!! Katz and Carnegie are known more for their Corned beef and pastrami sandwiches(footlong high at Carnegie) on rye. I guess what I was trying to say is that although Manhattan has some of the best sandwich delis in the nation, I still feel that the Bronx makes the best heroes in NY. Although I may be a little bias since I'm from the Bronx. But hey the BX has great food.
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/08 19:34:41 (permalink)
    quote:

Sorry but I prefer a Hoagie from Philly
    bxfinest
    Hamburger
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/09 11:20:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

quote:

Sorry but I prefer a Hoagie from Philly

That's fine but according to my understanding the Hero and Hoagie are basically the same thing with the exception of the name. I'll give it to Philly with the grilled sandwiches like cheesesteaks and Pork sandwiches. But on the cold cut tip such as Italian Heroes(not Hoagies) Turkey, roast beef, corned beef and Pastrami New York rules!!!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7738
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/09 11:29:51 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

But on the cold cut tip such as Italian Heroes(not Hoagies) Turkey, roast beef, corned beef and Pastrami New York rules!!!

I have to disagree, I'm from Long Island and the Italian Hoagies in Philly are just as good as the Italian Heroes in NYC
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18346
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/09 11:35:20 (permalink)
    Ah to be a boy and back at Marchitto's grocery store on Dixwell Avenue in Hamden, Connecticut. That's where Charley Marchitto's mother made the submarine sandwiches I dream about to this day.

First, she'd take a loaf of Italian bread, slice it in half lengthwise, then she'd slice it in half across. She would then pull some of the bread out of the loaf to make room for the good stuff. Next came the olive oil and the oregano. Then she would pile on the Genoa salami, hot capacolla, mortadella (without the pistachios please), the tangy provolone cheese, the roasted red peppers, onions, and, if they were in season, the plum tomatoes fresh from her garden behind the store. There'd be some salt and pepper, and that was it. She'd wrap each sandwich (made on a half loaf of the bread) in white butcher paper and hand it to you with a caution: "Don't sit on the stoop and eat, you'll block the door."

Then you'd grab a bottle of cold X-tra Cola and a Frisbee pie -- I always got lemon -- and tell Charley, "Charge it."

Then it was out the door and sit on the forbidden stoop and eat lunch. With the soda and the pie it came to a grand total of 35-cents.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/09 11:41:05 (permalink)
    quote:

I think that's a little provencial. I come from another part of New York State (i.e., still New York), and no one says "hero." We say "subs." I've now lived in NYC for nearly 20 years, and while I'm here I say hero; when I go home, I say sub.

As long as it tastes good, who cares?

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/09 11:56:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Spudnut

quote:

I think that's a little provencial. I come from another part of New York State (i.e., still New York), and no one says "hero." We say "subs." I've now lived in NYC for nearly 20 years, and while I'm here I say hero; when I go home, I say sub.

As long as it tastes good, who cares?

Imagine how I feel
    Where I grew up on Long Island it was always a hero,
    when I moved to Seattle they became subs (but who would want one anyway) when I lived in Pittsburgh they were Hoagies and now in Rhode Island they are Grinders!! Talk about confusing!!

bxfinest
    Hamburger
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/09 12:39:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

quote:

But on the cold cut tip such as Italian Heroes(not Hoagies) Turkey, roast beef, corned beef and Pastrami New York rules!!!

I have to disagree, I'm from Long Island and the Italian Hoagies in Philly are just as good as the Italian Heroes in NYC

Once again, Heroes and Hoagies are basically the same thing with exception of the origins of the terms. My point is in Deli food period from cold cut delis, to bagel delis. Philly does not have a thing on NY. When in Philly I see cheesesteak joints and Lunchonettes all over the city. When in NYC it's more like Delis and Pizza shops all over.

BTW I now live in Silver Spring MD(subland). And when I go into a beeer and wine deli no matter what they may call em when I order I still refer to them as a hero. And they know exactly what I'm talkn about.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/09 13:05:22 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

quote:

Once again, Heroes and Hoagies are basically the same thing with exception of the origins of the terms. My point is in Deli food period from cold cut delis, to bagel delis. Philly does not have a thing on NY. When in Philly I see cheesesteak joints and Lunchonettes all over the city. When in NYC it's more like Delis and Pizza shops all over.

BTW I now live in Silver Spring MD(subland). And when I go into a beeer and wine deli no matter what they may call em when I order I still refer to them as a hero. And they know exactly what I'm talkn about.

Kosher and kosher style deli- I completely agree with you, however Italian cold cut hoagies or heroes in Philly are just as good as ones I've had in NY. Philly has an Italian population comparitively larger than NY's. There may be more Italians in NY, however the ratio is larger in Philly.
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/09 15:53:28 (permalink)
    www.hollyeats.com/Sarcones.htm I rest my case
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/09 15:55:15 (permalink)
    hollyeats.com/Campos.htm
    bxfinest
    Hamburger
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/11 13:18:30 (permalink)
    quote:

Nice Pic. But still not convinced. You can find heroes as such all over the Bronx let alone the rest of NYC. Wheather it be italian, turkey & cheese, chicken salad or kosher cuts. What ever your meat desire you can get it on hero bread or kaiser roll. I wish I could attach a picture of one from the places I know. But unfortunately they don't have a website since most are mom and pop shops or bodegas.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/11 13:47:41 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Nice Pic. But still not convinced. You can find heroes as such all over the Bronx let alone the rest of NYC. Wheather it be italian, turkey & cheese, chicken salad or kosher cuts. What ever your meat desire you can get it on hero bread or kaiser roll. I wish I could attach a picture of one from the places I know. But unfortunately they don't have a website since most are mom and pop shops or bodegas.

I've had heros/hoagies (I know, same thing) in both NYC and Philly. I've lived more than 2/3's of my life in the NYC area. I can attest that the Italian Hoagies in Philly are just as good as the Heros in the NYC area. Philly has it over NY with Cheesesteaks and Roast Pork Sandwiches, NY has it over Philly with Kosher and Kosher style Deli, however Philly and NYC are neck and neck with the Italian Cold Cut Heros/Hoagies.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: NYC's real heroes 2004/11/11 13:50:28 (permalink)
    quote:

I've had heros/hoagies (I know, same thing) in both NYC and Philly. I've lived more than 2/3's of my life in the NYC area. I can attest that the Italian Hoagies in Philly are just as good as the Heros in the NYC area. Philly has it over NY with Cheesesteaks and Roast Pork Sandwiches, NY has it over Philly with Kosher and Kosher style Deli, however Philly and NYC are neck and neck with the Italian Cold Cut Heros/Hoagies.

You are a wise person...and I fully agree with this statement. I have lived almost all my life in NY, but have made roadtrips to Philly just for some good eats!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1