NYS wines. Favs and not so favs.

Author
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
2008/03/03 02:23:07 (permalink)

NYS wines. Favs and not so favs.

This new thread was started because a couple of us (and by couple, I mean two of us) were getting off topic and started chatting about NYS wines. NY is the 2nd largest grape producing state. Of course that includes copious amounts of concord and niagra grapes that go into Welch's grape juice. But, there a 100 wineries in the finger lake region alone, plus, wineries along Lake Erie, Niagra Escarpment, Adirondaks, Catskills, Hudson Valley and Long Island - which pretty much means, they make wine all over the great state of NY.

So, here are a few of my favs:

Herman J. Weimer Reisling
Dr. Konstantin Frank Reisling
Dr. Konstantin Frank Pinot Noir
Treleaven Wines at King Ferry Winery Reserve Chardonnay
Hosmer Chardonnay
Keuka Springs Cabernet Franc

8 Replies Related Threads

djmsalem
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: NYS wines. Favs and not so favs. 2008/03/03 06:47:10 (permalink)
    I haven't been there in some years, but I used to like the wines from Heron Hill, in Hammondsport. The very best tour was at Bully Hill, where the guides had a lot of character and would taste with you, but the wines weren't as good as those from Heron Hill and Dr. Frank.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: NYS wines. Favs and not so favs. 2008/03/03 07:35:32 (permalink)
    In the past Long Island wines have generally been average at best and high priced...not a good combination. I read that one of the problems was that relatively inexperienced wine makers (the wine industry started in the late 70's in the area) were trying to make wines like they did elsewhere rather than discovering what they had and how to use it best. In the past few years the quality has improved dramatically. I still find many of the offerings overpriced for the quality, but they are getting there. I had a good riesling and chardonnay from Palmer vineyard recently, and Pindar makes a nice Merlot. I need to try more of what is out there though.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: NYS wines. Favs and not so favs. 2008/03/03 07:46:02 (permalink)
    Can't say I'm up on NY wines, but I remember when I was young my family used to serve it (not a good sign, they were hardly "sommeliers"...) it seemed heap, sweet, etc. It left a "bad taste", shall I say.

Are they similar to Califonia wines, French, German or of their own?
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: NYS wines. Favs and not so favs. 2008/03/03 10:27:08 (permalink)
    My favorites are mostly Finger Lakes rieslings, Herman Wiemer and Constantine Frank being the very best of a constantly improving community of winer makers -and, the prices, although they've risen sharply in the past three years, are still quite fair for what you get. For ten bucks you get a decent reisling, for 20 bucks you get an excellent riesling. McGregor winery near Hammondsport on the east side of Keuka Lake makes some very nice reds- I especially liked something called Red Russian made from some kind of eastern Euopean grapes - dry, substantial, unusual, rare and very tasty. Heron hill was mentioned by someone above: Their wines are average and at average prices, but we love to sit on their patio enjoying a bottle of their wine, a nice sandwich and soup from their cafe, and a spectacular view of Keuka Lake and beyond.

Millbrook winery, in Millbrook, Dutchess County, NY, produces a very nice, and unique, Friuli Tokay. The stuff is usually sold out by mid-winter as it is not a large vintage. We like it with fish and shellfish. A raspberry wine from Baldwin, Pine bush, Orange County, is a very nice cold Summer drink. Feder's Clinton Vineyards in Clinton Corners, Dutchess County, produces good Seyval Blanc and a delicious Cassis.

I've yet to have anything from Long Island that I thought was worth the price. They should be able to make very good wines from Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Cabernet Frank - I hope someday they will - and at a fair price (A fair price may never be possible because of the enormous value of land in eastern Long Island.)

Cheers, John
    PaulBPool
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: NYS wines. Favs and not so favs. 2008/03/03 10:59:04 (permalink)
    The Long Island wines have improved a lot over the past 5 - 10 years. Price is still a bit of an issue, but now at least you can pretty much be assured that the taste and body of the wine will be good or better. Corey Creek, which is owned by Pindar, does a wonderful chardonnay, and Duck Walk has a couple of nice wines as well. Living here, we do take advantage of the tastings and tours, and try to buy LI wine whenever possible, but I do wish they'd get the price just a little lower on some of them.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: NYS wines. Favs and not so favs. 2008/03/03 11:02:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

I've yet to have anything from Long Island that I thought was worth the price. They should be able to make very good wines from Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Cabernet Frank - I hope someday they will - and at a fair price (A fair price may never be possible because of the enormous value of land in eastern Long Island.)

Cheers, John

Jamesport Vineyard won some awards with their 2001 Cabernet Franc and their 2001 Merlot a few years back the the NY Wine and Food Festival.

here's a recent article on the development of L.I. wines and wineries from this past November. http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/can-long-island-make-world-class-wines

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: NYS wines. Favs and not so favs. 2008/03/03 11:44:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader
    Jamesport Vineyard won some awards with their 2001 Cabernet Franc and their 2001 Merlot a few years back the the NY Wine and Food Festival.

here's a recent article on the development of L.I. wines and wineries from this past November. http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/can-long-island-make-world-class-wines

Very interesting article. I think another part of the problem is that many of the vineyards on Long Island are "toys" of a sort for some wealthy people who had the resources to buy in to the industry. This doesn't mean they can't produce a great product, but in my opinion it also increases the possibility that the wine making is more of a self satisfying pursuit rather than an attempt to produce wines capable of broader appeal.
    I know one of my friends makes beer he loves, but he is the only one who likes it. Fine for a hobbyist, not good for a serious wine maker.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: NYS wines. Favs and not so favs. 2008/03/03 15:23:49 (permalink)
    The cynic will tell you that the easiest way to turn a million dollars into a thousand is to go into the wine-making business. However, I'd guess that most of the wineries on Long Island are making a decent profit most every year- if as a local apple orchard farmer here in New Paltz used t say,"If you sell everything you grow right here out of your own stand, every year is a good year". The problem for the wineries is that people expect a lot more from a bottle of wine than they do from a peck of apples, so they get a lot of criticism for their efforts. But, if a vineyard can sell its mediocre stuff to us tourists at an elevated price right out of its own tasting room, a decent living can be made - and to hell with what the experts think!

Anyway, thanks for posting the article, I was surprised to learn of the well regarded whites being made out there on the Island, I thought reds were their thing - we'll have to make the trip sometime this year and see for ourselves what's going on.

Cheers, John

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1