NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2006/08/07 12:33:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

I'm sorry, but I'd rather have the salad than a Schlotsky's sandwich. They really don't resemble a good CB sandwich from any respectable East Coast deli at all. In fact, while I love real corned beef, I don't like much from Schlotsky's. If I have to give up decent flavor to save some calories or fat, I'll just move on to a food that's naturally low cal or low fat.

I was using it simply as a comparision from a nutritional standpoint. I have never eaten one and refuse to. They just happened to have a website with nutritional info since they are a bigger company than any mom and pop deli. A McDs salad was healthier from a numbers perspective, but not as much as you would think and it had a bunch of preservatives and chemicals in it. Not healthy in my mind.

renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2006/08/07 12:37:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by zoetmb

Katz's is not a true traditional deli. It's not because it doesn't have a full family menu, as others have suggested - it's because Katz's is not a kosher deli. Even Berger's is no longer a kosher deli and it's right in the middle of jewelry exchange district where thousands of hasidic jews work.

You have a point here. Kosher delis were almost always better than non-kosher. By their very nature, quality control and supervision was more stringent. This usually (but not always!) translated into a better product.

As far as health, I hear this argument a lot and I just dont see it. If health was as big a motivator as people say it is, then fast food chains should be disappearing as well. We all know that it is just the opposite.

I have maintained my weight since college, and do not deprive myself. Its called exercise and portion control and you can eat pretty much whatever you want. Do I have deli everyday? Nope. But if there was a decent deli by me, once a week would certainly be my frequency.
Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2006/08/07 12:40:47 (permalink)
All this angst about delis is interesting, but didn't 2nd Ave. voluntarily cease and desist because of a tenant-landlord dispute, for Pete's sake? It had nothing to do with the death of kishka or kasha. - Rusty
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2006/08/07 13:23:13 (permalink)
If these delis are disappearing, I propose that it's simply a case of supply and demand.

While there may be a goodly number of persons around that enjoy this food (and I count myself in their number), that number isn't enough to keep many delis going (and certainly not enough to keep real Kosher delis in business, where expenses are higher by virtue of the cost of compliance with dietary laws, and where cheesecake and pastrami cannot coexist). If the customer count were larger, you'd see more delis flurishing. Simple as that. I'm afraid that Jewish deli-style food isn't fashionable enough to compel the same level of interest as an Emeril or Flay. Times change; tastes change. Pacific rim its not.
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2006/08/07 13:28:28 (permalink)
True, does not mean these are actual issues though.

Also, if 2nd Ave deli was one of a multitude of outstanding jewish delis and it closed, we would mourn and say "at least we still have <insert multitude of deli names>". Instead when 2nd closed, a lot of people looked around and realized there was not much more to see.

The demise of a place like this makes you stop and realize that if something is not done, this cuisine can easily be lost. I would argue that for all intents and purposes, this cuisine has been lost for a very long time. at least to the public consumer. I still make kishka, kasha varnishkes, latkes, corned beef/pastrami, gefilte fish and liver knishes from my family recipes and I am sure others do too.

But the places I can go to get reputable versions of this are dwindling and that is a sad thing.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2006/08/07 18:23:40 (permalink)
With the exception of Down south and in the Southwest, I've been saying all along that regional cuisine is dying however for the most part it has fallen on deaf ears, it seems that several are now poking their heads out of the ground and are realizing the same thing.

As far as kosher delis and eating healthy are concerned, I was wondering several of my friends have grandparents who are well into their 90's and have eaten this stuff all their lives!
Fred Ferris
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2006/08/08 12:14:08 (permalink)
My aunt smoked a pack of cigs a day her whole life and lived to be 92...I think we all can point to a similar example of someone we know who defied the odds, whether it be eating fat-loaded foods, drinking a fifth of gin daily or whatever...but I don't think it's really a good idea to do any of these...

Yes, I firmly believe it's the health considerations (as well as vanity) that are leading to the demise of the NY deli....more than anywhere else, NYC in 2006 is the land of models, chest waxing, man-pedicures, cosmetic surgery and colon cleansing...and in this atmosphere, a rueben just isn't on the menu anymore...

We can argue all day about the relative health benefits of salad vs. pastrami..and even if you could convince me it's not that big a difference (you can't by the way)...the vast majority of people believe deli food is bad for you...and that's all that matters....and if they ever indulge, rather than go a few times a month as was common in the old days, they limit themselves to MAYBE once a year (like me, sadly)..and that's not enough to keep a place open and thriving..

Again, another poster hit it right on the head..if there was $$$ to be made, deli's would be opening everywhere in NY..the fact that the exact opposite is happening is all the evidence you need

Now excuse me, I'm late for my yoga class....

susanll
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2007/10/23 12:36:47 (permalink)
I have read that the 2nd Ave Deli has reopened. This caused a craving for pastrami on my part. Knowing that anything here will be at best a knock off of good pastrami, I wondered into a local deli anyway. When I asked if they had any pastrami, I was told only turkey pastrami. That is not even a knock off. So, I ended up with roast beef instead. Great barbecue, but crummy delis in this part of the world. Sigh!
Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2007/10/23 20:20:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by susanll

I have read that the 2nd Ave Deli has reopened.

Not yet, but soon. Probably before the end of the year. I walked by the new location recently and they are well on their way.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2008/08/06 20:38:36 (permalink)
Now open at the new location...

162 E. 33rd St. (between Lexington & 3rd Ave)

spud
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 273
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2008/08/06 20:46:40 (permalink)
How do you pay 24000 a month for anything for that many years and not still just be a tenant they can afford to lose? I think I would expect to own part of the building after paying so much for so long!
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2008/08/06 22:31:40 (permalink)
Before anyone goes spinning their wheels, there was a thread on this forum covering the re-opening of the 2nd Avenue Deli at 162 East 33rd Street a few months ago. (Can't find it at the moment, sorry.) When they first re-opened, there was a line of people out the door waiting to get in. This is typical when a restaurant gets media coverage in NYC. The last few times I passed there about 6 PM, you could get served without a hassle.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2008/08/07 01:44:55 (permalink)
I ate lunch there in January "without a hassle". The place was about full, but no line (except for takeout). The lunch was good too.

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2008/08/07 13:29:26 (permalink)
Found some links:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23980
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25076
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23994
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1510
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2008/08/07 19:47:20 (permalink)
I'm curious if the old location has been rented and if so what's there. It would be interesting to know if the landlords decision to raise the rent was a wise one.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2008/08/07 21:35:12 (permalink)
There is a branch of CHASE Bank there now. Unfortunately, parts of Manhattan are looking more like Duane Reade, Starbucks, Chipotle, Applebees, Bank of America (insert name of bank here)-town more each day.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2008/08/09 16:51:06 (permalink)
At least they kept their name. It is not the Lex/3rd Deli formerly known as the 2nd Ave. Deli.

I am sure some confused, lost tourists scratch their heads.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: NY's 2nd Avenue Deli Closed? 2008/08/11 02:07:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CCinNJ

At least they kept their name. It is not the Lex/3rd Deli formerly known as the 2nd Ave. Deli.

I am sure some confused, lost tourists scratch their heads.

Sort of like when the Pastrami King had a gender change after it moved from Rego Park into Manhattan.
Now it's the Pastrami Queen!
And it recently moved again, but just a few blocks or so...
(like many others feel, it was better in its male version in Rego Park; the pastrami tasted better) Still homemade, though, still decent. I need to try their "pigs in blankets" next time. Heard they make them good there
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1