N.Y.vsChicago Pizza

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/11 14:11:41 (permalink)
It's on the Travel channel right now, 2:00-3:00pm 4/10/05.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18660
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/11 14:28:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyjake

> It was a response to claims that New York apizza is so good.

Not exactly sure how its a "response"... Sally's *is* NY-style pizza. Sally's family learned from the original crew at Lombardi's (where Patsy Grimaldi was actually the baker), as did the founder of Joe's Pizza (another NYC landmark) and Patsy's pizza. Folks in the know have their favorites... Joe gets the masses (good PR, and they opened 2 other locations), but Grimaldi's gets the NYC nod from the "serious" eaters I know and Sally's gets it in New Haven. Its pretty close for me, depends on what you get.

You'll notice that the original post says "Just got through watcthing the travel channels
pizza wars and N.Y.Style won!"...

New Haven country is partially a NY-suburb, if it matters. Metro-North, the NYC commuter line, stops within walking distance of Sally's.

Caveat... I lived in New Haven for 3 years...

I don't know where you got your erroneous information about Sal Consiglio's family learning to make apizza from anyone at Lombardi's, but the fact is, Sal (from whence comes Sally's) and his family learned at Frank Pepe's. The Consiglio's are cousins of the Pepes.
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1563
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/11 14:33:08 (permalink)
Although from Chicago, I'm not a huge fan of our deep-dish pizza and always prefer thin crust. That said, I don't see anything superior about New York thin crust as it compares to many of the others I have had around the country, and of course pizza made in Italy absolutely blows away anything I've had in the states. Some New Yorkers may not know this, but pizza was actually invented In Italy and brought to the United States.

mikeyjake
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/11 15:01:50 (permalink)
quote:
I don't know where you got your erroneous information about Sal Consiglio's family learning to make apizza from anyone at Lombardi's, but the fact is, Sal (from whence comes Sally's) and his family learned at Frank Pepe's. The Consiglio's are cousins of the Pepes.

Yes, and both were opened after 25+ years of Lombardi's making and popularizing its New York style pizza.
mikeyjake
Junior Burger
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/11 15:12:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by saps

Although from Chicago, I'm not a huge fan of our deep-dish pizza and always prefer thin crust. That said, I don't see anything superior about New York thin crust as it compares to many of the others I have had around the country, and of course pizza made in Italy absolutely blows away anything I've had in the states. Some New Yorkers may not know this, but pizza was actually invented In Italy and brought to the United States.

Actually, not. It was invented by the Greeks.

BTW, if you've think pizza in Texas/Wyoming/LA/wherever you're getting your sludge from is the best pizza in the US, then of course the Italian stuff will taste better.

Try any of the greats, then come talk to us.
efuery
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/11 15:12:27 (permalink)
You can stop flogging now, the horse is dead.
saps
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/11 15:35:02 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by saps

Actually, not. It was invented by the Greeks.

BTW, if you've think pizza in Texas/Wyoming/LA/wherever you're getting your sludge from is the best pizza in the US, then of course the Italian stuff will taste better.

Try any of the greats, then come talk to us.

In actuality, pizza could have come from the Romans or Greeks, no one really knows- but the modern precursor of what we consider pizza today began in Naples, Italy.

I can't say that I've had pizza in Texas, Wyoming, or LA and don't recall posting that- at the same time, I'm not so locally centered that I can't believe there is good pizza in other states. I've been to Sally's in CT, Regina's and Santarpio's in Boston, John's in the village and actually have had good pizza in St Paul, MN and one place in Florida, now closed but once manned by some Northeast transplants.

And yes, pizza from Italy (to me) blows away any other pizza I've had, New York style definitely included. I don't think NY pizza stands head and shoulders above the rest, but I don't think it's bad either.
mikeyjake
Junior Burger
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/11 15:39:57 (permalink)
quote:
I can't say that I've had pizza in Texas, Wyoming, or LA and don't recall posting that- at the same time, I'm not so locally centered that I can't believe there is good pizza in other states. I've been to Sally's in CT, Regina's and Santarpio's in Boston, John's in the village and actually have had good pizza in St Paul, MN and one place in Florida, now closed but once manned by some Northeast transplants.

Ah, all clear now... your "NYC pizza" experience consists of a chain restaurant.
saps
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/11 15:46:47 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Ah, all clear now... your "NYC pizza" experience consists of a chain restaurant.

No, I've had plenty of pizza in NYC, John's is just the only one whose name I remember. Give me some places that you think are good and I'll try them next time I'm out there.
mikeyjake
Junior Burger
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/11 15:50:23 (permalink)
quote:
No, I've had plenty of pizza in NYC, John's is just the only one whose name I remember. Give me some places that you think are good and I'll try them next time I'm out there.

Plenty of folks have weighed in on the topic, but the usual suspects are Grimaldi's, Tontonno's (not the extra branch), Patsy's (original Harlem branch), and Lombardi's, which a few people do claim went downhill recently...
Tommy2dogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/12 19:43:59 (permalink)

http://www.suntimes.com/output/food/foo-news-pizza30.html
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/12 19:51:08 (permalink)
What????? You've never been to Ray's, or Famous Ray's or Ray's Famous, or Original Ray's, or Ray's Original, or Original Ray's Famous, or Famous Ray's Original,or Original Famous Ray's, or Famous Original Ray's???????
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/12 20:17:01 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Yes, and both were opened after 25+ years of Lombardi's making and popularizing its New York style pizza.

Oh, for crying out loud. The Pepe's and Consiglios learned to make tomato pies in Naples. Frank started his pizzeria because he missed the pies from back home. They had nothing to do with Lombardi's pies.

I can understand that it must cause you great pain, but everything does not spring from New York -- and certainly the tomato pies of New Haven were never influenced by Lombardi's, or any other pie maker in New York.
mikeyjake
Junior Burger
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/12 21:30:56 (permalink)
quote:
and certainly the tomato pies of New Haven were never influenced by Lombardi's, or any other pie maker in New York.

Hey, if thats what you need to think to sleep at night...
bxfinest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/13 13:40:18 (permalink)
Saps needs to try Nicks on Gun Hill Rd in the NE section of the Bronx. Get what ever you desire and I guarantee you won't be let down. From slices, sicilians, calzones, mozzarella beef paties and Heroes.

Others sugestions:
Original Rays Pizza on Murray Street
Ray's Pizza on Chamber street
Albachiara
Romeos in Queens

These places can compete with anything out there in the states or overseas.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: N.Y.vsChicago Pizza 2005/04/13 15:23:52 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
and certainly the tomato pies of New Haven were never influenced by Lombardi's, or any other pie maker in New York.

Hey, if thats what you need to think to sleep at night...

If you insist on proving your ignorance on this subject keep it up.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1