The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Nabisco Deluxe Assortment

Chris in NH

• Total Posts: 6
Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Sat, 06/7/08 12:19 AM (permalink)
OK, somebody tell me I'm not going insane. I seem to remember when my mom had company, she'd buy this expensive box of - what I think was - Nabisco Assorted cookies. Things like Lorna Doones, Cameos, and some others. It was a big, white rectangular box and the cookies were separated by partitions. Anyone seen these recently? Or have a jpg of the box?

Also, how about sunshine raisin cookies? They came in a long plastic-wrapped package, and each cookie was flat and thin, about a foot long, with perforations so you could break them into neat squares. Buttery sweet on the outside with raisins/fruit on the inside. I would finish these off in the car before we even got home!

Chris in NH

XanaJew

• Total Posts: 42
    RE: Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Sat, 06/7/08 3:00 AM (permalink)
    No, you're not crazy...I remember those assorted cookies too. I can almost taste them now. In all my recent trips down Food Memory Lane, I had forgotten about those cookies. That brings back some nice memories! Thanks!

vwgto

• Total Posts: 44
      RE: Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Sun, 06/8/08 1:10 PM (permalink)
      I looked for those raisin cookies for years. I don't think Sunshine makes them anymore. We did finally find a substitue on the internet at the Vermont Country Store. Crawford's Garibaldi golden crispy biscuits filled with currants....yes, taste exactly as I remember the Sunshine cookies tasted. I am on my third case/box...

I remember the special assortment as well. With a family of six, you had to be pretty quick to get your favorites....

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
        RE: Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Sun, 06/8/08 2:13 PM (permalink)
        Might have been-but I remember the Pepperidge Farm fancy assortment...

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
          RE: Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Sun, 06/8/08 6:50 PM (permalink)
          I remember them - those crinkly white cups.
          Wasn't there a coconut flavored one in it?

qwerty79

• Total Posts: 165
            RE: Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Sun, 06/8/08 7:22 PM (permalink)
            I remember those! Me and my brother used to fight over the sugar wafers. I haven't seen them in a long time, maybe late 80's early 90's. I wish they would bring them back!

mamaduck43

• Total Posts: 184
              RE: Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Sun, 09/21/08 8:43 AM (permalink)
              My mom used to buy one of the Nabisco assortment boxes each summer when we would go on our annual road trip... My dad always had 'dibs' on the Lorna Doones, my mom grabbed the sugar wafers, and my favorites were the Cameos and the Oreos.... We used to make that box really stretch to last the whole trip.... Thanks for the memories....

lourdes

• Total Posts: 1
                RE: Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Sat, 04/16/11 5:31 PM (permalink)
                ....yes those were simple, nice days I  can still remember my mom opening that box
                and I could smell the cookies from where I stood.  The box was white but it was covered in a blue cover with pictures of the cookies inside.  I think I also remember other sampler boxes in red.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                  RE: Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Sat, 04/16/11 8:14 PM (permalink)
                  I can still smell the cookies; I live about 10 miles from a Nabisco plant, and, as those who live within a mile or so of it say, when you can smell the cookies, it's going to rain.

Bart

KurtSara

• Total Posts: 181
                    Re:Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Sat, 04/16/11 8:57 PM (permalink)
                    Chris in NH

OK, somebody tell me I'm not going insane. I seem to remember when my mom had company, she'd buy this expensive box of - what I think was - Nabisco Assorted cookies. Things like Lorna Doones, Cameos, and some others. It was a big, white rectangular box and the cookies were separated by partitions. Anyone seen these recently? Or have a jpg of the box?

Also, how about sunshine raisin cookies? They came in a long plastic-wrapped package, and each cookie was flat and thin, about a foot long, with perforations so you could break them into neat squares. Buttery sweet on the outside with raisins/fruit on the inside. I would finish these off in the car before we even got home!

Chris in NH

all I could find was this one and I used to work for Nabisco

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1137
                      Re:Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Sun, 04/17/11 10:35 AM (permalink)
                      Funny you should mention the deluxe assortment, I was in Big Lot the other day and saw a bag of Nabisco Cameos just by themselves, and it brought back a lot of memories - they were always considered company cookies, something my mother put out for her card club as well.

Those Sunshine raisin cookies were one of my favorites, they did bring them back briefly around the late 70's.  There's an Oriental supermarket called, Hong Kong (I think there's one in Dallas), and I can find a similar cookie called "Sultanas."  The cookie part is just right, but the raisins are  a little chewier than I remember.

Yankeesfan

• Total Posts: 155
                        Re:Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Thu, 04/21/11 1:32 AM (permalink)
                        My mother used to buy that cookie assortment when we went on a long driving trip.  She never bought it any other time, but she always bought it then.  I LOVED the Cameo cookies.  She also always brought along a box of Butterscotch Krimpets.  Yum!

Bedhead

• Total Posts: 2
                          Re:Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Wed, 03/6/13 6:13 PM (permalink)
                          You are absolutely right -- I have been looking for these for YEARS in the hope that somewhere in the US, Nabisco still sells these!  It was called the "Nabisco Famous Cookie Assortment" and came in a rectangular box, with about 4 or 5 of each variety, including a square cookie called a "Kettle Cookie" that we never actually saw sold on its own.  I think the box might have been purple, actually!  My family loved this assortment because there was something in it that EVERYONE liked, and everyone got what they wanted.

Bedhead

Re:Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Fri, 06/7/13 4:08 PM (permalink)
                            I didn't remember the box as being white -- I remembered dark blue or plum-colored, but Chris in NH was RIGHT AS RAIN.  A photo of this assortment turned up in the news recently when a Wisconsin family discovered a fully-stocked fallout shelter from the 1960s on their property.  Supposedly, all of the contents of the shelter went to a museum in Neenah, Wisconsin... so maybe the cookies are there too!  A little stale, perhaps...
                            Attached Image(s)

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                              Re:Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Fri, 06/7/13 4:41 PM (permalink)
                              We used to see this all the time at the Pepperidge Farms outlet store. Sadly it closed 2 years ago.

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1273
                                RE: Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Fri, 06/7/13 5:00 PM (permalink)
                                bartl

I can still smell the cookies; I live about 10 miles from a Nabisco plant, and, as those who live within a mile or so of it say, when you can smell the cookies, it's going to rain.

Bart

That's such a cool observation and memory.

I remember this assortment, too--my family loved them. 

debdog42

• Total Posts: 36
                                  Re:Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Mon, 09/2/13 6:14 AM (permalink)
                                  So many good cookies went by the wayside when Kraft bought Nabisco-Cameo, Mystic Mints, Biscos and man do I miss Sunshine Lemon Coolers!

saltednut

• Total Posts: 1
                                    Re:Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Sun, 11/3/13 8:58 PM (permalink)
                                    Hi, Chris.  No, you are not insane.  In fact, I've been bringing these cookies up for the past couple of years among my friends, and I seem to be the only one who remembers them!  I am glad to know I am not alone!  They were great cookies, and it was my late grandmother whou bought them regularly, back in the sixties and seventies.  They came in the rectangular box you described, but there was a pink or fuchsia-colored outer wrapper that you had to cut, as indicated by a dotted line with a tiny image of scissors. 

The assorted cookies were as follows: Cameos (sandwich cookie with creme center), Lorna Doone (shortbread), Kettle cookie (a square, spice cookie with an embedded imprint that I do recall being sold separately), a round butter daisy-like cookie with a hole in the center, wafers, Oreos, maybe a chocolate chip cookie, and a round sandwich creme centered cookie.  I haven't seen them since the late seventies. I would buy them in a heartbeat if they would bring them back today.

Pau Rina

Re:Nabisco Deluxe Assortment Wed, 11/6/13 8:42 PM (permalink)
                                      The Cameo cookies are still sold in Puerto Rico.  You can find them in any retailer in the Island, including Walmart and Sam's Club.  In the US you can find them wherever you have large puertorrican population. Whenever we have visitors from PR, we ask them to smug some Cameos. Right now I have a box of the multi-serve package for vending machines that a friend brought back from a trip to the Island.  They are awesome and the best cookie ever!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com