Nachos. You love them. Don't lie.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
WingLover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/01/23 15:28:39 (permalink)
Ah, nachos. I haven't had them in a long time. I remember my elementary school served the 'really salty' tortilla chips and the 'goopy' cheese - everyone loved them. I still love them.

My parents, however, always bought the no fat, no salt, bland, tasteless Tostitos brand nacho chips (read: cardboard) and had it with equally bland Tostitos brand salsa or the Tostitos 'cheese' sauce. Lovely image, eh? At least the salsa and/or cheese kind of overpowered the blandness of the chips...but I would have easily gone for the nachos of my elementary school days. At least those nacho chips had some TASTE, even if the taste was lots of salt!

~Jessica
BearHit
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/01/24 07:32:41 (permalink)
In high school we would make trays of Seafood Nachos for parties.

They don't last long.

Use the imitation crabmeat, scallions, colby jack, jalapenos, black olives - with sides of salsa, guacamole and sour cream.

Eat 'em fast - or the chips get soggy...
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/01/25 12:49:52 (permalink)
I dunno, all that crap (beef, beans, jalapenos, onions, olives, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, tomato, etc.) thrown on top of a bed of tortillas has lost it's effect on me.

except on Superbowl Sunday. But, it's also the only day of the year that I'll even consider a Bud Light.

Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 512
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/01/25 13:11:24 (permalink)
I'll eat everyone dang one I can get my hands on. Always disappointed when I order one at a restaurant. The only thing I don't like is when they
just use regular chili instead of some Mexican/Tex Mex spiced meat, and
I hate it when the chips get soggy. I make my own and eat em regularly.
One of my favorite foods.
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/01/25 13:22:19 (permalink)
I think nachos may be a (formerly?) regional/generational thing. In the Northeast, I never heard of "Nacho" except as an adjective for Doritos until I was old enough to order a beer at the then urban-chic TGI Fridays. Within a year I was visiting friends in Denver and they had Nachos everywhere and indeed, 7-Eleven nachos were required after a night of drinking.

Twenty-odd years later nachos seem to be everywhere in the U.S. I like good ones. But my wife who went to high school in Arizona can't pass up chips with salsa in any form (but Cheez-Whiz, she can).
Poopy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/16 12:17:31 (permalink)
I don't know which is worse, imitation crab or Velveeta. I wish I had read that right before lunch.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4126
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/16 13:12:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

I dunno, all that crap (beef, beans, jalapenos, onions, olives, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, tomato, etc.) thrown on top of a bed of tortillas has lost it's effect on me.

except on Superbowl Sunday. But, it's also the only day of the year that I'll even consider a Bud Light.

Was over on a friend's boat this weekend and all he had to drink was a Coors Light. Wish he'd had some beer instead!
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/16 13:46:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poopy

I don't know which is worse, imitation crab or Velveeta. I wish I had read that right before lunch.

I actually like imitation crab. I don't make imitation crab in lieu of real crab...Lord knows in the mid-atlantic region there's probably a law making it a capital crime to do so. It's clearly not a substitute, but I've created some dishes with imitation crab that have been well received. And, with real crab, the dish would be way too expensive to make, and the crab flavor would be too subtle to overcome all the other flavors involved in the dish. When I use real crab, I like to keep other ingredients down to a minimum, so as not to spoil its flavor.

Velveeta is a product that I use with only one recipe. And that recipe is a dip I like to call "$h!t." It gets it's name from 2 places, the first is because of its remarkable visual resemblance to the substance of the same name. It's made with a 16 oz. can of condensed black bean soup, mixed with 16 oz jar of hot salsa and 16 oz chunk of velveeta. (like a true pound cake, where all the ingredients are one pound) Put it all in a bowl and microwave it until the cheese is melted and it's a little soupy (nice and warm). Which leads me to the 2nd reason I call this dip "$h!t," which comes from the numerous responses to those who have sampled the dip who say, "this '$h!t' is good!" So, I have found one good use for velveeta.
Poopy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/16 16:11:23 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

I actually like imitation crab. I don't make imitation crab in lieu of real crab...Lord knows in the mid-atlantic region there's probably a law making it a capital crime to do so. It's clearly not a substitute, but I've created some dishes with imitation crab that have been well received. And, with real crab, the dish would be way too expensive to make, and the crab flavor would be too subtle to overcome all the other flavors involved in the dish. When I use real crab, I like to keep other ingredients down to a minimum, so as not to spoil its flavor.

Velveeta is a product that I use with only one recipe. And that recipe is a dip I like to call "$h!t." It gets it's name from 2 places, the first is because of its remarkable visual resemblance to the substance of the same name. It's made with a 16 oz. can of condensed black bean soup, mixed with 16 oz jar of hot salsa and 16 oz chunk of velveeta. (like a true pound cake, where all the ingredients are one pound) Put it all in a bowl and microwave it until the cheese is melted and it's a little soupy (nice and warm). Which leads me to the 2nd reason I call this dip "$h!t," which comes from the numerous responses to those who have sampled the dip who say, "this '$h!t' is good!" So, I have found one good use for velveeta.

Maybe the imitation crab you are able to bay is better than the stuff you get here in Kansas....it has the texture of rubber and tastes worse.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/17 11:16:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Parses6

You forgot the third reason why it is called hot $hit...the morning after discharge

well,(lol) that could be true, but it's tough to tell. I usually make the dip for a party, which means there are (buffallo) wings, homemade pizza, salsas, veggie platters, mexican dips, and other assorted digestive lubricants, so it's tough to say whether that one dip is totally to blame for that, but, sure, I'll buy it. 3 reasons are always better than 2!
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/17 17:28:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Parses6

quote:

quote:

You forgot the third reason why it is called hot $hit...the morning after discharge

Maybe you should get a thesaurus and learn some new adjectives, and lay off the curse words, please. I dont like getting grossed out while reading about food, thank you.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4611
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/17 18:15:55 (permalink)
It would now appear someone is enjoying posting references to excrement (in it's various forms and/or as it is known in various cultures) in threads otherwise about food at every possible opportunity.

Not sure about the rest of you, but I find the pattern more than a bit unsettling, perhaps even nauseating.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/18 17:17:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

It would now appear someone is enjoying posting references to excrement (in it's various forms and/or as it is known in various cultures) in threads otherwise about food at every possible opportunity.

Not sure about the rest of you, but I find the pattern more than a bit unsettling, perhaps even nauseating.

it's tongue in cheek. I think that comes out crystal clear in the post. Someone else was able to see that, so it couldn't have been unobvious. I've mentioned the dip two times, so there's no pattern Mr. Nauseated. I also posted the recipe so you can try it and see if you like it. It's quick, easy, and enjoyed by many. Call it what you want. Our name is a running joke from long ago. so go lay an egg and throw a flame at some one else. You're way off base. You too rossy. If you have a problem, how about emailing me instead of trying to throw fire in an open forum. If either of you were nice, and you emailed me privately, I might have dealt with you differently and modified it for your weak stomachs. and avoided any confrontation in the forum.
Telling someone to learn new adjectives and get a thesaurus? Is that for real. I think it's pretty rude to attack someone openly without provocation. Especially after you recently just went to throws with someone else and had threatened to quit this site. I would've thought you'd try to be more discreet and not so quick to throw caution in the wind. Take a look inward and pull out your thesaurus and look up the word demimonde.

roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/18 21:28:55 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

it's tongue in cheek. I think that comes out crystal clear in the post. Someone else was able to see that, so it couldn't have been unobvious. I've mentioned the dip two times, so there's no pattern Mr. Nauseated. I also posted the recipe so you can try it and see if you like it. It's quick, easy, and enjoyed by many. Call it what you want. Our name is a running joke from long ago. so go lay an egg and throw a flame at some one else. You're way off base. You too rossy. If you have a problem, how about emailing me instead of trying to throw fire in an open forum. If either of you were nice, and you emailed me privately, I might have dealt with you differently and modified it for your weak stomachs. and avoided any confrontation in the forum.
Telling someone to learn new adjectives and get a thesaurus? Is that for real. I think it's pretty rude to attack someone openly without provocation. Especially after you recently just went to throws with someone else and had threatened to quit this site. I would've thought you'd try to be more discreet and not so quick to throw caution in the wind. Take a look inward and pull out your thesaurus and look up the word demimonde.

It wasnt you that I was referring to, Scorereader.
I have no issue with your post here.
It is with another poster, and it is on more than this post/topic.
I am sorry that you thought it was you, and I should not have used your quote. Just the other one listed.
And, actually, your $hit Dip sounds good!
If I may use "your" recipe name.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4611
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/18 21:39:15 (permalink)
I too am not referring to Scorereader....rather to Parse6.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/18 23:20:05 (permalink)
quote:

And I'll bet that someone is doing it because you react like the church lady every time it's done. Stop stalking that person and it will die down. Your dramatic overreaction to the use of the word "vomit" is many times more sickening than seeing it used in posts about food, IMHO. Take a chill pill Mr. Jackson. I haven't encountered anyone this prissy about these kind of innocuous words in years.
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/19 00:30:41 (permalink)
Back to personal tastes and nachos...the only thing that tends to really bother me about them is the fact that the melted cheese quickly becomes a crusty, disgusting glob as the dish inevitably cools off.

I tasted a really great nacho style dip one time, that essentially was a layered nacho..with refried beans, guacamole, salsa, and a sour cream/cream cheese combination. It completely did away with that congealed melted cheese issue...does anyone have that recipe?
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/19 02:21:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:

And I'll bet that someone is doing it because you react like the church lady every time it's done. Stop stalking that person and it will die down. Your dramatic overreaction to the use of the word "vomit" is many times more sickening than seeing it used in posts about food, IMHO. Take a chill pill Mr. Jackson. I haven't encountered anyone this prissy about these kind of innocuous words in years.

If you are going to attack TJ, then attack me also, as I find it unacceptable in roadfood talk also.
There is no need to speak of food as vomit, excrement, dreck or any other foul adjective.
I may not have the best command of the english language, and may not use spell check, but I surely dont like seeing this kind of talk on many posts.
I probably will get chastised for this.

Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/19 08:49:36 (permalink)
TJ, Rossy:
my mistake. I'm sorry.
Maybe, to avoid confusion, this should be handled through the admins and emails.

~S

Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/19 09:46:53 (permalink)
Dang It. I missed another one...
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/19 10:04:26 (permalink)
(Obviously) good nachos:

BAD nachos:

roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/02/19 12:09:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Dang It. I missed another one...

Nachos in the 2nd photo look killer! YUM
offlady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 343
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/04/15 06:11:40 (permalink)
Yes, I rediscovered this food too--at the movie theater. I took my son and his best friend to the movies. This friend didn't want popcorn. Instead he asked for nachos, something I would never had bought for me or my own kids. I ended up eating all of the leftovers, practically licking the dish and was left craving for more. Thank goodness it was in the dark.
Jennie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/05/27 23:41:29 (permalink)
I've never been a big fan of nachos, per se. Something about that fake-tasting cheese. Reminds me of Taco Hell, somehow.

However, I used to love making chili con queso from scratch and dipping in with tortilla chips. The proper triangular variety. I think we used a blend of cheddar and pepper jack, but I could be wrong. I know we never ever used Velveeta. My mother used to make open-faced toasted cheese sandwiches for us, which were fine with American, but I could never abide the texture of Velveeta. However, my brother loved it. To each his own, I suppose.

Now that hubby is diabetic, we're on a low-carb diet. One of my low-carb recipe books actually suggests taking La Tortilla Factory L-C tortillas and making your own chips out of them. Sounds like a lot of work to me. lol

Jennie
MandalayVA
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/05/28 01:25:26 (permalink)
Velveeta, Ro-Tel tomatoes and Fritos Scoops = Mandalay Nachos.

If loving Velveeta is a crime, let me be guilty ...
salsailsa
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 405
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/05/28 12:58:06 (permalink)
I like nachos but think it is a crime what restaurants charge for something so stupidly simple to make.

I usually prefer dipping tortilla chips in chili with sour cream, onions and cheese on top like some other posters mentioned.

The chips dipped in that neon cheese goo are not nachos and velveeta is positively revolting in my opinion but to each one's own.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/05/28 14:26:15 (permalink)
Never had one. It looks like an Antipasto served on large Fritos, and I don't care for Fritos. Chow Jim
HotDogHead
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 665
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/05/31 16:14:03 (permalink)
An ex-boyfriend of mine worked at 7-11. Even though it was not store policy, he would add some of the juice from the pickled jalapenos to the cheese mix. It was very tasty. Ah, the good old days.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/05/31 18:22:57 (permalink)
HotDog, I use jalapeno juice for all kinds of stuff. It may well make anything a bit better? I even do soy & J juice to soak steaks in before cooking. Now my inlaws do the same. Just mix it till it tasts good to sip on. Hmmm, a litle vadka might make a new drink?

Any meat I use for nachos gets it too. My velveta dip also gets some.
Joe
HotDogHead
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 665
RE: Nachos. You love them. Don't lie. 2006/05/31 18:33:40 (permalink)
PapaJoe8: Your idea for the steak marinade is brilliant! Thanks. I will definitely try that. My mouth is watering already.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1