Name That Little Tune

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 11
Author
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 19:40:41 (permalink)
And when it was time to do the dishes: "Madge, you're soaking in it." (Palmolive dish washing detergent)
RubyRose
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 19:47:00 (permalink)
And in the aftermath from eating all the items on this thread, "Mr. Whipple, puhleez don't squeeze the Charmin."
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 19:51:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:
Originally posted by flattop5

Is Schaefer and Stroh's still made? We used to buy Schaefer's by the case, it was sooooo cheap. Each case always had one or two cans that were only half full. Can't buy either hear any longer, which, I'm pretty sure is a good thing....

Dearfolk,
Schaefer, Schaefer Light, Stroh's, and Stroh Light are all available in cans in Athens, Georgia. My nearby Winn/Dixie Supermarket sells them for budget prices. I wouldn't give you anything for Schaefer, but Stroh's remains a quality beer (it has a nice little sourish Pilsener taste to it, like the real good ones from Europe), even if it isn't "fire-brewed" any more.
Patiently, Ort. Carlton in Still-Yuengling-Dry Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Yuengling is now sold in South Carolina, North Carolina, and Florida... but not Georgia (as of yet).
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 19:54:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Anyone remember the Teaberry Shuffle?

Grampy,
That was done to the "Mexican Shuffle" record by Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass. Gee, I actually thought it was the Tendermint Shuffle.... Clark's also made Sour Lemon Chewing Gum - boy, was it tarrrrrt!
Unchompingly, Ort. Carlton in Gum-Under-My-Seat-But-I-Didn't-Put-It-There Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 19:55:49 (permalink)
quote:

If I could only perfect my percolator sound, I would do the Maxwell House Coffee ditty.

Grampy,
Remember "Percolator Twist" by Billy Joe & The Checkmates? I own the original Dore' 45.
Additionally, Ort. in Cold-As-Blitzen Athens, GA.
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 20:02:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:

Grampy,
That was done to the "Mexican Shuffle" record by Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass. Gee, I actually thought it was the Tendermint Shuffle.... Clark's also made Sour Lemon Chewing Gum - boy, was it tarrrrrt!
Unchompingly, Ort. Carlton in Gum-Under-My-Seat-But-I-Didn't-Put-It-There Athens, Georgia.

I must confess that I own a copy on my Best of Tijuana Brass. I used to play my trumpet along with Herb's records -- to the dismay of everyone else in the house.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 20:06:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BarbaraCt

Hey, Mabel, Black Label!
Carling's Black Label Beer!

BarbaraCt,
There goes that call again
For the finest beer of all again!
Take one off the wall again...
Mabel! Black Label!
Carling Black Label Beer!
(Announcer tag) "Now brewed in our new modern plant in Atlanta for brewery-fresh taste!"
I'm not sure of that third "wall again" rhyme, because this goes back to 1959 when the Atlanta Carling plant opened (only to close a few years later)... I was nine or ten. The building still stands on Empire Boulevard in Southwest Atlanta, immediately adjacent to I-75, northeast of the airport.
Did Hull's (New Haven, CT.) have any jingles? Now that was a good local beer!
Commercially, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Once Home Of Blind Man Ales; Now Having To Make Do (Yum, Yum) With Copper Creek Brewing, One Of Georgia's Finest Brewpubs (Where I Plan To Go When The Library Closes: Matt Just Put On A New Batch Of Smoked Porter This Afternoon. Whew.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 20:11:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Vince Macek

Originally posted by M&M

Oddly I remember a radio jingle, specifically a baritone spoken 'Excuse me while I have a sip of my nice cool National Beer!' (chorus - 'National Beer, National Beer...') Odder still, it was way off in South America, far from any National Beer.

Vince,
National Beer is a brand from South America (I can't remember which country) in addition to being one of Baltimore's historic brands. I remember hearing beer ads in English and Spanish on Cuban radio before Castro took over; brands I was unfamiliar with (of course I was, like, 11 when the coup took place).
Internationally, Ort. Carlton in Athens, GA. (Where Cuban AM Skywave Bounces In At Night, Especially In The Summer).
RubyRose
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 20:11:58 (permalink)
Hot dogs...
Armour hot dogs...
The dogs kids love to bite!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 20:23:33 (permalink)
Beloved,
It has not been my intention to hog space; I've simply replied where I noted or felt the need to... which now brings me to my actual post!

1) Wouldn't you like to have a real Dutch cookie?
Jan Hagel, Jan Hagel, Jan Hagel....

2) Wet, cold, and delicious...
National Bohemian Beer!

3) National Beer, National Beer -
Wet, cold, delicious National Beer...
And while I'm singing, I'm proud to say
It's brewed on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay!!

4) Country Club Malt Liquor - aged three times longer than beer.
No wonder there's a difference...
Aged three times longer than beer.
Three times, three times, three times - yes, three times longer than beer.
(Announcer tag) "M. K. Goetz Company, St. Joseph, Missouri."

5) Now - does ANYONE remember the dreadfully bad Suffer Dandles commercials for Schlitz? He was worse than Mrs. Miller.
"Here's Suffer Dandles for Schlitz." Then he would come on and saing a rat tuneless sawng whal strumin his geetar out of tune wharng wharng. Then you heard someone say "Ugh!" and a door slammed. - A Schlitz point-of-sale piece from that time read "Suffer now we must."

6) There was also a series of "The Journeymen for Schlitz" during the folk music craze, circa 1963. I own a couple of Journeymen albums on Capitol. Now... can anyone tell me what famous fellow was in that group? Dinner is on me for the first correct answer.

Longwindedly Enough For An Unnamed Typhoon, Ort. Carlton in Breezy, Cold Athens, Georgia.
M&M
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 20:44:58 (permalink)
quote:

Beloved,
It has not been my intention to hog space; I've simply replied where I noted or felt the need to... which now brings me to my actual post!

National Bohemian Beer!

5) Now - does ANYONE remember the dreadfully bad Suffer Dandles commercials for Schlitz? He was worse than Mrs. Miller.
"Here's Suffer Dandles for Schlitz." Then he would come on and saing a rat tuneless sawng whal strumin his geetar out of tune wharng wharng. Then you heard someone say "Ugh!" and a door slammed. - A Schlitz point-of-sale piece from that time read "Suffer now we must."

6) There was also a series of "The Journeymen for Schlitz" during the folk music craze, circa 1963. I own a couple of Journeymen albums on Capitol. Now... can anyone tell me what famous fellow was in that group? Dinner is on me for the first correct answer.

Longwindedly Enough For An Unnamed Typhoon, Ort. Carlton in Breezy, Cold Athens, Georgia.

You'd have to be dreamin', California dreamin' to answer that last question.

M&M in 9 degree, ice covered St. Louis.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 20:50:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by M&M

quote:

Beloved,

National Bohemian Beer!

Dearfolk
WE HAVE A WINNER on Gold Bond Dial-a-phone Time! Our answer: John Phillips, later of The Mamas & The Papas.

M&M, wait until thaw time and we'll find a way to meet up. I was completely serious... I owe you a dinner, either youraways, myaways, or somewhere in between where we can eventually meet up.
This thread made my already-fine day even better. Gracious sakes, I love you people....
Sincerely, Ort. Carlton in Athens, GA.
M&M
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 20:58:49 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by M&M

quote:

Beloved,

National Bohemian Beer!

Dearfolk
WE HAVE A WINNER on Gold Bond Dial-a-phone Time! Our answer: John Phillips, later of The Mamas & The Papas.

M&M, wait until thaw time and we'll find a way to meet up. I was completely serious... I owe you a dinner, either youraways, myaways, or somewhere in between where we can eventually meet up.
This thread made my already-fine day even better. Gracious sakes, I love you people....
Sincerely, Ort. Carlton in Athens, GA.

Hum, don't know about your, meaning Athens, way. The last time I was in Athens - about 1975 or so - my beloved Crimson Tide was being reduced to a slow trickle between The Hedges. Dean Rusk, the former Sec. of State was prancing down the middle of the street yelling "We beat 'Bama". Not a pleasant introduction to your fair city. But I suppose what's past is past and perhaps come the spring thaw I'll take you up on the offer.
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 862
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 21:16:16 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Vince Macek

Originally posted by M&M

Oddly I remember a radio jingle, specifically a baritone spoken 'Excuse me while I have a sip of my nice cool National Beer!' (chorus - 'National Beer, National Beer...') Odder still, it was way off in South America, far from any National Beer.

Vince,
National Beer is a brand from South America (I can't remember which country) in addition to being one of Baltimore's historic brands. I remember hearing beer ads in English and Spanish on Cuban radio before Castro took over; brands I was unfamiliar with (of course I was, like, 11 when the coup took place).
Internationally, Ort. Carlton in Athens, GA. (Where Cuban AM Skywave Bounces In At Night, Especially In The Summer).

Really! Mind you, I was 11 when I heard the ad - wouldn't do for me to be up on beer at the time.

For tv ads my favorite was Strohs. One in particular came off looking like a PSA - a dad enters his son's room to discuss what he does with his friends, pointedly asks 'Do you drink beer?' Son answers 'Of course I drink beer...(we finally see him)...I'm 35 years old!' Dad replies 'Well, I just want to make sure you're drinking *good* beer, son...'
lamertz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 290
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 22:14:10 (permalink)
Great thread with a lot of memories. In my opinion,one of the worst:

Meow meow meow meow
meow meow meow meow
And so on and so on.

All for Meow Mix!
Grampy
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 22:23:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lamertz

Meow meow meow meow
meow meow meow meow
And so on and so on.

All for Meow Mix!

Yes, but dogs love cheese -- bacon?

What foods these morsels be?
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/27 23:20:47 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

Grampy,

I must confess that I own a copy on my Best of Tijuana Brass. I used to play my trumpet along with Herb's records -- to the dismay of everyone else in the house.

Not only do I also own a copy, I've played it more than once this week: my two-year-old is digging it, and I'll do anything to avoid little-kid music. So far, so good. She likes a lot of 70s funk.
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/28 09:47:59 (permalink)
I love regional commercials because they're so awful. Any Northeasterners rememeber Ruby and Choo-Choo advertising Railroad Salvage stores?

Or the ad for some fake jewelry with a close up at the end...it's a blonde woman who says completely unconvincingly, "Wow. What a bargain. How do I order?".

Lynne
Grampy
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/28 10:06:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Route 11

I love regional commercials because they're so awful. Any Northeasterners rememeber Ruby and Choo-Choo advertising Railroad Salvage stores?

Or the ad for some fake jewelry with a close up at the end...it's a blonde woman who says completely unconvincingly, "Wow. What a bargain. How do I order?".

Lynne

Ah, Ruby and Choo-Choo. We had an ad for a local restaurant, now gone, where the played the guitar and sang Born to Eat. He then ended with "Mm-mmm good," which was as convincing as if he had just eaten a five-pound box of 10-penny nails.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 750
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/28 10:23:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

"libby's , Libby's, Libby's
On the label, label, label.
You will like it, like it, like it
On your table, table, table
When it says Libby's, Libby's Libby's
On the Label, Label, Label"

"Aye, yii, yii, yiiii,
I am the Frito Bandito.
I like Frito's Corn Chips,
I love them I do.
I want Frito's Corn Chips,
I'll get them from you.
Aye, yii, yii, yiiii,
Oh, I am the Frito Bandito.
Give me Frito Corn chips
And I'll be your friend.
The Frito Bandito
You must not offend."

"Two all beef patties ,
special sauce,
lettuce , cheese pickles
on a sesame seed bun"

"Hot diggity, dog diggity
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm what you do to me
Oscar Mayer is
Hot Dog Diggity!"

"Sometimes you feel like a nut
Sometimes you don't!"

"There's nothing like the face of a kid eating a Hershey bar.
There's nothing like it you'll ever see,
a face as happy as it can be.
There's nothing like the face of a kid when he's munching on the greatest taste around.
Hershey's, the great American chocolate bar."

"Hotdogs, Armour hotdogs.
What kinds of kids love Armour hot dogs?
Fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks
, tough kids, sissy kids, even kids with chicken pox
love hotdogs, Armour hot dogs,
the dogs kids love to bite. "

"A is for apple, J is for Jacks.
Cinnamon toasty Applejacks"

" The neat new spaghetti you can eat with a spoon.
Uh, oh, spaghettios.
Neat round spaghetti that will stay on your spoon.
Uh, oh, spaghettios. "

"Everything's better with Blue Bonnet on it."

"Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco Treat
Rice-A-Roni, the flavor can't be beat
One pan, no boiling, cooking ease
A Flavor that is sure to please
Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco treat!"
(Ding, Ding)

Ever think about trying out for JEAOPARDY Red?
BarbaraCt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/28 10:31:45 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Hey, Mabel, Black Label!

BarbaraCt,
Mabel! Black Label!
(Announcer tag) "Now brewed in our new modern plant in Atlanta for brewery-fresh taste!"
I'm not sure of that third "wall again" rhyme, because this goes back to 1959 when the Atlanta Carling plant opened (only to close a few years later)... I was nine or ten. The building still stands on Empire Boulevard in Southwest Atlanta, immediately adjacent to I-75, northeast of the airport.
Commercially, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Once Home Of Blind Man Ales; Now Having To Make Do (Yum, Yum) With Copper Creek Brewing, One Of Georgia's Finest Brewpubs (Where I Plan To Go When The Library Closes: Matt Just Put On A New Batch Of Smoked Porter This Afternoon. Whew.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18382
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/28 10:57:15 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Hey, Mabel, Black Label!

BarbaraCt,
Mabel! Black Label!

Hull's did not have any jingles that I can recall. I grew up drinking Hull's. One of my uncles worked at the brewery, and he gave my father several quart bottles of Hull's every week. My father would pour me a small glass of it whenever he had some himself. When I was in high school in New Haven our football coach would tell us to go home and drink a beer to replace the fluids we sweated out in practice. My replacement fluid was always Hull's.
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/28 12:12:37 (permalink)
Here's a jingle from a TV commercial for cigarettes. Remember when it was OK to advertise cigarettes on TV? When did they stop doing that...late '70s?

"You've come a long way, baby...
To get where you've got to today,
You've got Virginia Slims now, baby...
You've come a long, long way!"
Grampy
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/28 12:16:24 (permalink)
If you've got the time, we've got the beer, Miller beer.
Miller tastes too good to hurry through.
But when it's time to relax, Miller stands clear, beer after beer.
If you've got the time, we've got the beer, Miller beer.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1184
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/28 12:40:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

From one beer lover to another; Stroh's Beer, from one beer lover to another, Stroh's!

Especially when sung by Nancy Wilson......
jmckee
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/28 12:42:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sushi_Girl

quote:

"Can't get enough of that Sugar Crisp!"

Remember Crispy Critters Cereal?
Tasted like Kix but in the shape of animal crackers, but smaller I think. The song goes: "Here goes crispy critters, the good wholesome bunch. The low-sugar cereal with lots of cah-runch! They're indubitably delicious!" The commercials featured a little girl who couldn't say "indubitably"

Or better yet -- and earlier still....: "The one and only cereal / that comes in the shape of animals."
Grampy
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/28 12:43:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by clothier

From one beer lover to another; Stroh's Beer, from one beer lover to another, Stroh's!

Especially when sung by Nancy Wilson......

Do you remember Pamela Tiffin and Tom Seaver doing, I believe it was, an RC Cola ad?
jmckee
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/28 12:52:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lamertz

Meow meow meow meow
meow meow meow meow
And so on and so on.

All for Meow Mix!

Two my wife remembers (She was a cat person before I was):

1. To the tune of "Ain't We Got Fun?"
Little Friskies, Little Friskies
Ain't we got fun?
By the bowlful, by the bagful...
Ain't we got fun?

2. To the tune of "Old Time Rock N Roll"
Just take those Little Friskies off the shelf.
I can knock 'em down by myself.
When I got Little Friskies in my bowl,
It makes me wanna just Looooooooooooose control!
Grampy
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/28 12:57:07 (permalink)
One cartoon ad that was too bizarre to be irritating was for a kids' baked product, the name of which I do not recall. A woman came riding out on an egg beater singing:

I'm somebody's,
I'm somebody's,
I'm somebody's mom.
skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 473
RE: Name That Little Tune 2004/01/28 15:21:30 (permalink)
This idiotic ad is still running in my neck of the woods:

Oh mama don't you fix me no more meatloaf,
Don't want no mac and cheese,
I want some fun piled on a bun
I want a Manwich please.

Not sure about that first line, but it's something about meat loaf. Can you imagine a reasonably intelligent person passing up homemade meat loaf and mac and cheese for a Manwich???
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 11
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1