The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich (with pics)

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36
fattybomatty

• Total Posts: 1017
Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich (with pics) Fri, 02/13/09 2:33 PM (permalink)
My mother owns a restaurant called Nanny's Kitchen in North Plainfield, NJ.  I was taking some pics for her website (nannyskitchen.110mb.com  shameful plug I know) of the food and decided to have one of her Little Piggy sandwiches.  I figured I'd post about it on here. 

If anyone has ever eaten a Fat Sandwich at Rutgers, the Little Piggy is Nanny's version of those.  I have had both and I may be biased, but I think Nanny's quality is better.  Better roll, meat, fries, etc.  Nanny has a couple pre-set Little Piggies you can order, but most people just grab a slip and create their own.  The one I made today was a cheese steak, topped with pork roll, fries, fried onions, pickles, hot sauce, and bbq sauce.  I was really torn as to what kind of sauce I should get.  It is sometimes hard to think which condiment really goes with this mixture.  I am glad I went with the bbq sauce and hot sauce.    I knew the sauce mixture would be fine with the cheese steak and fries, but wasn't so sure if it would go well with the pork roll.  To my delight, the mixture of the salt from the pork roll went nicely with the condiment combination.  I should have asked for extra fried onions though.  I didn't really taste them enough.  The sandwich is $5.99.  I was completely full after eating it.

I got a side of potato salad and a pickle too.  It was too much for me.  I took one bite of the potato salad and didn't touch the pickle.  Plus, I don't know why I got a pickle when I had pickles on the sandwich.  Didn't really think that one through.  She just asked if I wanted a pickle and I couldn't say no.  I switched plates because I didn't think my camera was picking up the potato salad on the white plate.  Turns out it was and apparently I'm just blind or an idiot.  Probably both.  Well here are the pics.  I hope you guys enjoy.

<message edited by fattybomatty on Sun, 04/12/09 6:51 PM>

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
    Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Wed, 03/25/09 8:07 PM (permalink)
    You know, I would love to find a place around here where I could build my own sandwich like that. Your combo sounded good to me but switch the bbq sauce for some mayo and drop the fried onions.

Anywhere around Raleigh that does a sandwich like this?

Dennis in Cary

Buffalo Tarheel

• Total Posts: 492
      Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Wed, 03/25/09 8:41 PM (permalink)
      It's an interesting combination of ingredients that I might never think of eating together, but it sure looks good (and obviously was very tasty).  Thanks for sharing this with us.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
        Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Wed, 03/25/09 10:48 PM (permalink)
        You are making your mother proud!

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
          Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Thu, 03/26/09 8:17 AM (permalink)
          I had takeout lunch from your Mom's place one day a few months ago when I was working from home and needed a half hour break. My son & I shared two of the "standard" piggies and they were real good. I was a little confused by all the choices and the ordering system so I'll need to study the menu for next time. I definately plan to go back.  

One thing, maybe your Mom needs to advertise or get better signage. I must have passed that strip mall 50 times and never noticed Nanny's until I read one of your earlier posts. That stretch of Rt 22 has 1000's of cars passing by every hour and I'm sure most of them are not aware of Nanny's Kitchen. And with the unique menu, good food, and friendly atmostphere she definately has a good product to sell.

GNeedles59

• Total Posts: 594
            Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Thu, 03/26/09 9:22 AM (permalink)
            I have stopped by Nannys a few times while on lunch (work in  Plainfield).  I like the cozy atmosphere and the friendly service.  I forget exactly what type of sammich I made, but I remember really likeing it.

fattybomatty

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Thu, 03/26/09 9:36 AM (permalink)
              GNeedles59

I have stopped by Nannys a few times while on lunch (work in  Plainfield).  I like the cozy atmosphere and the friendly service.  I forget exactly what type of sammich I made, but I remember really likeing it.

GNeedles,

Just make sure if you make a little piggy to be creative about it.   She'll give you a playful ribbing if she is not impressed with the sandwich

GNeedles59

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Thu, 03/26/09 10:00 AM (permalink)
                Oh yeah, my creation was a little bit off the wall, I got a look from my coworkers

fattybomatty

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Thu, 03/26/09 10:28 AM (permalink)
                  Gneedles,

That is exactly how it is supposed to be.  The more other people look at it and say, "I can't believe you are going to eat that."  The better it is probably going to be.

Side note,

I think we should start up a Jersey pork roll/taylor ham tour

DLnWPBrown

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Thu, 03/26/09 12:03 PM (permalink)
                    fatty, what is the website? I love checking things out that way.

Dennis in Cary

GNeedles59

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Thu, 03/26/09 2:06 PM (permalink)
                      Dennis, here is the link

Fattybomatty : I would definitly be game for a Roadfood trip around here.  We would have to cover pork roll, dogs, and NJ sloppy joes

fattybomatty

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Thu, 03/26/09 2:22 PM (permalink)
                        DLnWPBrown

fatty, what is the website? I love checking things out that way.

Dennis in Cary

Dennis,

The website is Nanny's Kitchen's Website  you can also add the restaurant on facebook if you have one.  Just search for nannyskitchen22@gmail.com 

Also, Joe Rogo was kind enough to write up a review on his website.  He had breakfast there the other day.   You can check that out at Joe's Review

And I have to add that Joe's website is very good.  Check out the ask CC section.  She is very insightful

DLnWPBrown

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Thu, 03/26/09 3:54 PM (permalink)
                          Okay, I am making me a sammwich right now, here we go.......

steak, pork roll, pepperoni, bacon, ham, jalapenos, pickles, mayo & hot sauce. 

God, I need this sammwich now, LOL. 

I just saw where she has Brunswick stew.... what's her's like. I have made it all my life and I am curious now.

Dennis in Cary
                          <message edited by DLnWPBrown on Thu, 03/26/09 3:57 PM>

fattybomatty

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Thu, 03/26/09 4:26 PM (permalink)
                            Dennis,

Sounds like one heck of a sandwich.  That's what I call making a little piggy the right way.  Iam going to have to add it to the list of piggies I created for my mom to offer as specials because some people just aren't creative enough.  I have a list of 4 that I came up with to.  Yours sounds like a combination of two of mine:

1.  Boss Hog:  Burger, cheese steak, chicken fingers, ham, pepperoni, fries, mozzarella sticks, fried onions, topped with marinara sauce.  

2.  Wild Boar:  cheeseburger, chicken fingers, bacon, onion rings, mushrooms, jalapenos, and a spicy bbq sauce.

3.  Wilbur: Pork Roll with cheese, ham, bacon, pickles, potato salad, ketchup and mustard.

4.  Piglet:  Grilled chicken breast, mushrooms, jalapenos, green peppers, onion, and salsa. 

I think #5 will now have to be the D.C. Piggy steak, pork roll, pepperoni, bacon, ham, jalapenos, pickles, mayo & hot sauce in honor of you.  That's a great creation.  Unfortunately, only a few people were brave enough to try the wild boar when she offered it, but the ones who ate it did enjoy it. 

To be honest, I never had her Brunswick Stew.  When I go in here I usually don't even look at the soups of the day.  haha.  I have only had her beef stew, which I grew up on so I like.  I believe her Brunswick Stew is well liked since it is often one of the special soups. 
                            <message edited by fattybomatty on Thu, 03/26/09 4:46 PM>

MiamiDon

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Thu, 03/26/09 6:55 PM (permalink)
                              fattybomatty:  Maybe we can meet up at Nanny's in May.

fattybomatty

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Thu, 03/26/09 8:07 PM (permalink)
                                Don,

I think I can do that.  You'll just have to keep me posted on your travel plans.

GNeedles,

If we are going to be eating all that I'll have to start fasting right now.  ha

fattybomatty

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Thu, 03/26/09 8:32 PM (permalink)
                                  ken8038

I had takeout lunch from your Mom's place one day a few months ago when I was working from home and needed a half hour break. My son & I shared two of the "standard" piggies and they were real good. I was a little confused by all the choices and the ordering system so I'll need to study the menu for next time. I definately plan to go back.  

One thing, maybe your Mom needs to advertise or get better signage. I must have passed that strip mall 50 times and never noticed Nanny's until I read one of your earlier posts. That stretch of Rt 22 has 1000's of cars passing by every hour and I'm sure most of them are not aware of Nanny's Kitchen. And with the unique menu, good food, and friendly atmostphere she definately has a good product to sell.

Ken,

I have directions up on the website so I am trying to get more people to go check it out.  If you need directions go to directions to nanny's   Check out the rest of the website for specials and coupons as well.  The problem with the signs, is that township has regulations against putting up more signs as does the landlord.  Otherwise, we would have done it.  That's why I am trying to use sites like this to get the word out. 

As far as how to order the piggy, just ask for the piggy list and how to fill it out.  Feel free to take some of my recommendations or ask me for more suggestions.

DLnWPBrown

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Thu, 03/26/09 9:21 PM (permalink)
                                    fatty, I am honored to have a piggy named for me. I grew up in the south but was turned on to Taylor's pork roll about 20 years ago by a girl who moved down here from NJ. I love mine lightly fried with cheese or a fried egg.  

BTW, I am polishing off a meatball sub with bacon, banana peppers, jalapenos, onions, and italian spices.... de-lish.

Dennis in Cary

<message edited by DLnWPBrown on Thu, 03/26/09 9:24 PM>

DLnWPBrown

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Sat, 04/11/09 7:25 PM (permalink)
                                      Fatty, how's things going with the place?

Dennis in Cary

fattybomatty

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Sat, 04/11/09 9:25 PM (permalink)
                                        Dennis,

They are going ok.  Not great, but that's because people are eating out less to conserve money.  There was a hot dog piggy last week that we made.  A hot dog topped with cheese, mustard, onion, baked beans, and potato salad

DLnWPBrown

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Sat, 04/11/09 9:41 PM (permalink)
                                          I could go for that with the potato salad on the side, but add bacon, hot sauce, and chili to it.

Dennis in Cary

fattybomatty

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Sun, 04/12/09 6:50 PM (permalink)
                                            Dennis here are a couple pics of the piggy I described.  It is a Thumanns large skinless pork and beef hot dog on a semolina roll topped with cheese, mustard, relish, onions, baked beans and potato salad.

DLnWPBrown

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Mon, 04/20/09 11:42 AM (permalink)
                                              Fatty, how's this for ya......

Salami, pepperoni, Taylor pork roll - fried, crisp veal cutlet, mozzarella, pizza sauce, french fries, hot sauce and a few sweet peppers? I'm getting hungry, time to eat.

Dennis in Cary

GNeedles59

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Mon, 04/20/09 2:24 PM (permalink)
                                                Ok, this place is so close to my work that I am gonna do a report one day, I have been there in the past, but that was more than a year ago.  Pics to come!

DLnWPBrown

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Fri, 04/24/09 4:55 PM (permalink)
                                                  GNeedles59

Ok, this place is so close to my work that I am gonna do a report one day, I have been there in the past, but that was more than a year ago.  Pics to come!

Please hurry, can't wait to see the pics.   

Fatty, how much to ship me a sammy???

Dennis in Cary

MiamiDon

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Sat, 04/25/09 8:08 AM (permalink)

fattybomatty: 

At the very center of the sandwich, there is a roundish tan thing (and several elsewhere).  What is that?

DLnWPBrown

Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Sat, 04/25/09 11:31 PM (permalink)
                                                      Miami I think what you are referring to is the baked beans. They are not what I am used to either.

Dennis in Cary

fattybomatty

• Location: North Plainfield, NJ
                                                        Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Mon, 04/27/09 12:36 PM (permalink)
                                                        MiamiDon,

That's one of the types of beans my mom puts in her baked beans.  I believe it is a Fava bean to be exact.  I don't like beans of any sort so I could be wrong about that.  I am sure someone who is a Fava bean fan can confirm or deny if that is actually the name of that bean. 

morganen

• Total Posts: 22
                                                          • Location: Los Angeles, CA
                                                          Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Mon, 04/27/09 3:03 PM (permalink)
                                                          Wow, the Little Piggies sound amazing. That hotdog looks great too. It reminds me of a Rochester garbage plate.

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
                                                            • Joined: 10/15/2003
                                                            • Location: surf city, NC
                                                            Re:Nanny's Kitchen's Little Piggy Sandwich Sun, 05/3/09 9:15 AM (permalink)
                                                            You can build a good sandwich without putting french fries or onion rings on it to start with.I don't know why everyone thinks that makes a sandwich taste better.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com