Napkins

Author
shackburger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
2006/06/09 15:26:57 (permalink)

Napkins

Why do some of you Restaurant owners put those napkin holders with tiny napkins you have to pull out 1000 of to clean up, use them. Personally I hate it when I see them, what's the point?

12 Replies Related Threads

John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Napkins 2006/06/09 16:45:50 (permalink)
    Krystal immediately comes to mind.

John
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Napkins 2006/06/10 03:25:58 (permalink)
    .002 cents vs. .02 cents each...
    (Then it could be the staff is a little lazy and tries to pack them tight as possible to avoid frequent refills.. dont ask).
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Napkins 2006/06/10 03:50:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by shackburger

Why do some of you Restaurant owners put those napkin holders with tiny napkins you have to pull out 1000 of to clean up, use them. Personally I hate it when I see them, what's the point?

GAWD!!!
    My personal beef!
    I used to frequent a great Q place in Maine, and they had the DINER type napkin holders, and being such a regular patron and friend with the owners and employees, I asked about such crappy little napkins.
    I offered a suggestion about paper towels in a holder on the table, and they said, that it was less cost effective.. For THEM.. to use the little tiny napkins, albeit that you used many of them, for them to use the regular dinner napkins.
    I was NOT impressed, nor satisfied with the answer.
    I felt like I was using more of them, than the regular large heavier weight dinner napkins.
    But..
    Now at my work, We have those stupid little diner sized napkin holders, and I have to fill them 3 times as often and more than I would if we had a regular size napkin.
    I have often mentioned to my boss, that McDonalds has better napkins than we do, and I get the shrug..
    Oh well, It isnt my restaurant, but I am trying to save my boss some money in the long run.
    I hate those napkins.. He probably hates them too, but likes the diner look of the holders.
    Oh well, I guess he has money to burn.
    And yeah.. He does.
    I have tried to cut corners for him, but after all, it is his money, and apparently he doesnt give a crap if I try to help him save money.
    Oh well.. they love me and I love my bosses..
    I tried and if that is what they want, then it isnt my place to try to change what he likes.
    But.
    I HATE CRAPPY CHEESY NAPKINS>
    I dont care what type of establishment you have, it is the wrong impression.
    Oh well. Like I said..
    Aint my place and no use bitching about what I have to give my patrons
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Napkins 2006/06/10 04:06:24 (permalink)
    This reminds me of my first time in Italy, decades ago...and even in my most recent trip (three years ago), recycling and conservation of paper products have still not become ubiquitous there, to say the least...

But I digress....I remember when I went to the McDonald's in Rome (YES. and before you start screaming, I did it on a lark with Italian companions to see what the fuss was about, even in Italy...I ate all of my other meals in authentic Italian restaurants, and in homes of friends and family!!), and I was amazed at a couple of things. First, they had pretty good espresso; second, they served wine and beer; third, they had a decent looking dessert bar, and fourth; the workers had to give you napkins on request, and they were those diner quality ones mentioned here...except that they would inevitably give you an "Italian dozen," a four inch stack of them!! This meant that you would waste a ton of them...but given the amount of napkin waste that I would see in garbage recepticles, alongside highways, etc., it seemed pretty common practice...and my Italian resident friends and family confirmed this.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Napkins 2006/06/10 07:02:48 (permalink)
    sounds to me like some of you need ot eat in front of a mirror, perhaps, relearning the basic methods. if you are eating your meals like a caveman, then you might need a couple dozen napkins, of any size.
    try slowing down the shovel, and aiming better. you might find that food has better flavor, too, when you give your taste buds a chance. fork, spoon knife, all for a purpose....
    heeheehaahaa!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3737
    RE: Napkins 2006/06/10 10:48:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bassrocker4u2

sounds to me like some of you need ot eat in front of a mirror, perhaps, relearning the basic methods. if you are eating your meals like a caveman, then you might need a couple dozen napkins, of any size.
    try slowing down the shovel, and aiming better. you might find that food has better flavor, too, when you give your taste buds a chance. fork, spoon knife, all for a purpose....
    heeheehaahaa!

I think that you are missing the whole point of this topic.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Napkins 2006/06/10 13:10:43 (permalink)
    At Krystal you're eating finger food and their napkins are the smallest I've ever seen. It takes a lot of them to do the job.

John
    shackburger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Napkins 2006/06/10 15:02:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bassrocker4u2

heeheehaahaa!

What do you do as you eat, wipe your hands on your shirt or your pants? hoohoohooachyou! Gezuntite!
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Napkins 2006/06/10 15:09:48 (permalink)
    Just try eating softserve or BBq with just the offered little napkin when you have a full beard, of course even a couple large napkins would be hard pressed to do the job
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Napkins 2006/06/10 16:50:02 (permalink)
    We have this place in Salisbury, NC that has a great chicken wing. Requires a napkin per wing.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Napkins 2006/06/11 08:10:08 (permalink)
    ever see those dainty little eaters, never get a drop on their clothes, or even on their hands? amazing isnt it. then, there are these ravenous eaters, who consume everything within 5 feet of their plate...covered in sauces, and the like.
    yea, i got the point of the thread, but i am one of those restauranteer who only offer, the small napkins. why? easy.
    we hae a couple of those vintage coke napkin holders, and they dont hold the big napkins. but hey, i used to eat like a wild boar. i learned quickly, that its embarassing, to walk around advertising what you had for lunch.....so i just slowed down, and aimed better. i guess most restaurants want you to slow down and aim better..
    but mostly, its the price of the napkins, or the fit.
    DinerLovr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Napkins 2006/06/26 00:39:14 (permalink)
    I was one of those places until I hooked up with Xpress-Nap. Now it only one napkin per pull, guaranteed! Plus, you get to read my nice little ad on the side of the dispenser!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1