Napolitan Pizza

Author
ledeburite
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
2003/10/04 22:31:17 (permalink)

Napolitan Pizza

I heard on the Food Network this week, that only about 10 restaurants in the US are certified by the Napolitan Pizza police in Naples.
Does anybody know the names and locations of any of these establishments?

Greg

15 Replies Related Threads

jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Napolitan Pizza 2003/10/05 10:01:30 (permalink)
    Here's the list of certified pizza makers that strictly adhere to Naples standards. Note the inclusion of Bertucci's, which makes it easier for people not living near any of the spots below to sample the wares. Personally, I appreciate the cultural value of these types of pies, but my preference is for New Haven style.

Antica Pizzeria - Los Angeles, CA
    Coppola-Niebaum Cafe' - Palo Alto, CA
    Punch Neapolitan Pizza - Minneapolis, MN
    Naples 45 - New York, New York
    Regina Margherita - Pittsburgh, PA
    La Pizza Fresca - New York, NY
    Il Pizzaiolo - Mt. Lebanon (Pittsburgh), PA
    Il Ritrovo - Sheboygan, WI
    Two Amy's - Washington, D.C.
    Bertucci's (Chain)
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    RE: Napolitan Pizza 2003/10/05 11:29:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jpatweb

Here's the list of certified pizza makers that strictly adhere to Naples standards. Note the inclusion of Bertucci's, which makes it easier for people not living near any of the spots below to sample the wares. Personally, I appreciate the cultural value of these types of pies, but my preference is for New Haven style.

Considering that both Pepe's and Sally's have been making Neapolitan pies for more than 60 years I'd have to guess that Naples standards need to be brought into line with them.
    FrankieShots
    Junior Burger
    RE: Napolitan Pizza 2003/10/08 14:23:52 (permalink)
    And considering that Lombardi's been making it since 1905 is even more surprising...
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3904
    RE: Napolitan Pizza 2003/10/08 15:49:54 (permalink)
    Note----seems like the Antica Pizzeria location on Third in LA is closed. Marina del Rey Location seems to be be around as L.A. Trattoria/Antica Pizza.
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Napolitan Pizza 2003/10/08 16:14:27 (permalink)
    quote:

I read this thread and thought immediately of Punch. I live near there and have eaten there a few times. wood fired and very good. But it is on Cleveland Avenue in the Highland Park neighborhood of Saint Paul, not Minneapolis. BTW, the only folks who call Minneapolis and Saint Paul "Twin Cities" aren't from here.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Napolitan Pizza 2003/10/08 16:38:00 (permalink)
    And this has nothing to do with ice cream? Can someone explain? I know there is deep dish, thin, hand tossed, Chicago style(isn't this deep dish?)that's it down here!
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Napolitan Pizza 2003/10/08 16:41:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

And this has nothing to do with ice cream? Can someone explain? I know there is deep dish, thin, hand tossed, Chicago style(isn't this deep dish?)that's it down here!

O.k. so I tried to delete this but don't remember my password! Someone go ahead and pacify please. I know now it's not "neopolitan".
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Napolitan Pizza 2003/10/08 16:43:57 (permalink)
    One of my food magazines recently had an article on the strict standards set for this pizza and the dough in particular. I made it and it was really good.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Napolitan Pizza 2003/10/08 17:04:18 (permalink)
    The certification has nothing to do with a pizzeria's age or popularity. Rather it's given to pizza makers that adhere to certain techniques and ingredients loyal to the traditional Naples style of pizza. A wood-burning oven, for example, is a requirement.

http://www.verapizzanapoletana.org/vpn/index.html
    quote:
    Originally posted by FrankieShots

And considering that Lombardi's been making it since 1905 is even more surprising...
    FrankieShots
    Junior Burger
    RE: Napolitan Pizza 2003/10/09 08:20:27 (permalink)

The certification has nothing to do with a pizzeria's age or popularity. Rather it's given to pizza makers that adhere to certain techniques and ingredients loyal to the traditional Naples style of pizza. A wood-burning oven, for example, is a requirement.

http://www.verapizzanapoletana.org/vpn/index.html

JPAT...You're right about age having nothing to do with it...See attached...He did start it all over here ,though...
    http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0335/sietsema2.php
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Napolitan Pizza 2003/10/09 16:17:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by spadoman

quote:

I read this thread and thought immediately of Punch. I live near there and have eaten there a few times. wood fired and very good. But it is on Cleveland Avenue in the Highland Park neighborhood of Saint Paul, not Minneapolis. BTW, the only folks who call Minneapolis and Saint Paul "Twin Cities" aren't from here.

My wife is from Minnesota further down the river. She and her friends call them, "The Cities." Not so different from people in North Jersey who refer to Manhattan as, "The city."

This standard seems to have similarities to the German standard for beer purity. Few can attain it and many who can't have a good product.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Napolitan Pizza 2003/10/09 17:43:21 (permalink)
    Peppertree. Nice analogy drawn between the Naples standards for pizza and the Rheinheitsgebot (German beer purity law), which basically prohibits any ingredients beyond hops, barley, yeast, and water. The law also delves into pricing and packaging issues but in terms that only a 16th century Bavarian could love.

When you say many who can't attain it have a good product, I'll assume you're referring to brewers of wheat beers, lambics, quirky Belgian styles, etc., rather than Miller, AB, Coors, and that ilk. Prosit!
    quote:
    Originally posted by peppertree

quote:

quote:

My wife is from Minnesota further down the river. She and her friends call them, "The Cities." Not so different from people in North Jersey who refer to Manhattan as, "The city."

This standard seems to have similarities to the German standard for beer purity. Few can attain it and many who can't have a good product.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    RE: Napolitan Pizza 2003/11/21 14:30:37 (permalink)
    I love the idea of the hot oil apizza from the Colony Grill in Stamford. I'll try that with the next one I make.
    FoodCredit
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Napolitan Pizza 2004/05/05 17:16:37 (permalink)
    quote:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by jpatweb

FoodCredit
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Napolitan Pizza 2004/05/05 17:19:58 (permalink)
    quote:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by jpatweb

Hey Spadoman...Your rip on Jpatweb is invalid. Punch Neapolitan Pizza has another restaurant at 34 13th Ave NE in Minneapolis. They also have one at 8353 Crystal View Rd in Eden Prairie (maybe that's the triplet city?) Have fun in the twin cities now.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1