Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3006
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/01 08:50:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

I've been home for two days now and almost fully recovered from the busy, but fun weekend in Nashville. Here are the places my cousin and I ate, all on Friday and Saturday:

Pancake Pantry, Arnold's Country Kitchen, Elliston Place Soda Shop, Rotier's, Prince's Hot Chicken, Loveless Cafe (Roadfood Bus Tour), Puckett's Grocery (RBT), Henpeck Market (RBT), Sylvan Park (RBT), Swett's, McNeil's Produce Stand and La Hacienda.

Arnold's was simply the best meat & three I have ever visited and gets my vote for best meal on the trip, while my cousin thought it was a tie between Arnold's and Pancake Pantry. On the bus tour, we both loved Puckett's and Henpeck Market and I plan on going back and eating full meals at both next time in town.

This was the third Roadfood bus tour I have been on and it was my favorite, too. That is because I was able to meet some fellow Roadfooders for the first time, like Poverty Pete, Mr. Chips, Sundancer, The Travelin' Man, ChiTownDiner (who was extremely generous sharing his food on the bus tour stops) and the Mayor himself.

We also got to meet several other people on the bus who don't post here (or at least often), like the couple from California (she's from Sacramento and he's from LA and buys t-shirts at all the Roadfood spots he visits). And also Larry and Liz from Dallas (soon to be Birmingham) who shared tables with us at two of the stops. Everyone was so nice. My only regret was there wasn't more time to meet more people.

I am already looking forward to next year's Roadfood bus tour in Austin!

BB - Great to finally meet - that's an impressive number of stops! If I get to Pitt this summer, we'll hook up for a mini! Let me know if you get out Chicago way. I've been dreaming of the pimento, tomato and bacon we all enjoyed!
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2130
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/01 09:03:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

As a chilihead that Prince's chicken is one of the most mouth watering pictures I've seen. What heat level is that?
That was actually the "mild", which was quite spicy.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/01 17:23:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

New Photos added over night..edited into posts already there to try to put things into chronologic order. I will install the Saturday night, and Sunday Brunch photos on Wed. I need some contributions posted, or sent to me to post, for the bus-ride stops...Didn't anyone take photos???
AL

Hi Al, and everyone...
It's Ellen.
I took lots of pics, so we're still in luck....
stay tuned, as I will try to post them all later tonight, Tuesday.
("Ellen's great weekend in Nashville" report coming up!!)

I had an incredibly great time !!!!!!

Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/01 20:13:33 (permalink)
More pics, I see. ===>> Paul... We are waiting... Also I see the illusive Rick F. for the first time. BadaBoom.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/01 21:46:18 (permalink)
I truly had a marvelous weekend. Meeting the mayor, the Sterns, Lost in the Mail, Buffetbuster, Rick, P.C. Diva, Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle, Mrs mayor and the dogs, Ellen,and any of the others I have forgotten was a treat and as has been true of all my roadfood encounters, an enduring pleasure. Special thanks to Travelin' Man Steve who got me to a Vanderbilt baseball game and a return trip to the Loveless. I ate at 11 roadfood joints in 3 days, my favorite being the boarding house delights of Monnel's. No pictures but delightful memories. If there is an Austin trip next year, I'm in.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/01 23:33:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

I truly had a marvelous weekend. Meeting the mayor, the Sterns, Lost in the Mail, Buffetbuster, Rick, P.C. Diva, Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle, Mrs mayor and the dogs, Ellen,and any of the others I have forgotten was a treat and as has been true of all my roadfood encounters, an enduring pleasure. Special thanks to Travelin' Man Steve who got me to a Vanderbilt baseball game and a return trip to the Loveless. I ate at 11 roadfood joints in 3 days, my favorite being the boarding house delights of Monnel's. No pictures but delightful memories. If there is an Austin trip next year, I'm in.

The feeling was mutual, Mr. Chips !
You are SO warm hearted.
My big claim to fame was eating fried chicken for breakfast,lunch, AND dinner on that Nashville tour! (At Loveless, Prince's and Monells , respectively )(plus a burger and a pimento cheese sandwich!)

Stay tuned for my pics and full report. I'll start a separate thread right about NOW !

Fondly,
Ellen
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15305
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/02 13:32:25 (permalink)
Here is Ellen, setting her next Photo Shoot ! Thats the first round of "Brunch" in front of her.

Now we are starting to see the evidence of the Bus-Tour locations. Ellen, your photos are encouraging others to get things posted. Keep it up !! BuffetBuster sent a few to me and I put some of them into a post on the first page. I'll add more to his post when he gets them edited and sends them along.
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/02 14:47:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

More pics, I see. ===>> Paul... We are waiting... Also I see the illusive Rick F. for the first time. BadaBoom.
Illusive, illusory, elusive, allusory, and illustrated! BadaBing to you, bubba!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10425
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/03 15:46:24 (permalink)
Kudos to whomever (I assume Stephen) decided to give out Roadfood.com mugs if you didn't want a hat this year. Since I already had two hats, it was an easy choice to go for the mug. I have been using it at work all week.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/03 20:51:02 (permalink)
Coffee or Brandy???
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/03 21:07:27 (permalink)

It is Derby Week in Louisville. The Roadfood Mug makes a perfect substitute for the traditional Silver Mint Julep Cup...(Well about double the size too!) My Roadfood Mug has been thru a good rehersal and is now ready for heavy-duty work Tomorrow - The running of the Kentucky Oaks, and of course Saturday- the 133rd running of the Kentucky Derby. Yeah, I may have to order another mug, as this one faces a lot of wear and tear in the next few days !!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/03 21:12:55 (permalink)
Hard workin' mug for hard workin' folks! Al - you deserve a refill!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/03 21:29:17 (permalink)
I am trying to stay closer to the traditional appearance of the libation.

In the past The Hoosier version of the Julip consisted of:

One Quart of Bourbon (any brand) Aged in the truck on the way from Kentucky.

Four 20oz bottles of Mountain Dew- well chilled

Crushed Ice

One Package Spearmint Life Savers

Four 48oz Slurpee Cups- Original contents rinsed out.

Fill Slurpee cups with crushed ice to about an inch from the top. Add one (8oz) cup of the Bourbon, follow with One 20oz bottle of Mountain Dew, Float several Spearmint Life Savers on the top. Sip until Ice clogs the straw ! Repeat as needed.

Note- If an artist is available have" S.S. TITANIC" lettered carefully on the life savers. That adds a real touch of class to the beverage in the ice-filled cups.

Happy Derby Day to One and All.

In our current and more genteel environment we substitute KNOB CREEK or WOODFORD RESERVE for the Generic Brand Bourbon. Otherwise the recipe remains the same !!
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2314
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/03 21:41:59 (permalink)
My recipe is close to yours...Buffalo Trace and Sundrop
Rick F.
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/03 22:24:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

If there is an Austin trip next year, I'm in.
Me, too, and I really hope there is! Might have to go early and stay late.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/04 00:58:12 (permalink)

The Presidents Day Weekend BBQ/Oyster Tour is seriously considering Mobile,AL as the target for next February. Final decisions will be made late in the summer.
desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/04 01:58:33 (permalink)
quote:

The Presidents Day Weekend BBQ/Oyster Tour is seriously considering Mobile,AL as the target for next February. Final decisions will be made late in the summer.

Isn't there anything planned for the summer?

EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/04 02:04:50 (permalink)
what was the filming for???
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/04 07:44:30 (permalink)
DesertDog,
The West TN Glee Club and BBQ Appreciation Society holds it's annual get-together on President's Day Weekend. It met for a couple of years at Hays Smokehouse in Tennessee, and this year the group traveled to Austin, TX. While it is made up of a lot of Roadfood Members, It is NOT an officially Sponsored Roadfood activity.

There may well be another "Official" tour within 2007, but that will be for the leadership to determine, usually depending on Jane and Michael Sterns busy agenda.

Meantime there will be several smaller events. One that is listed in this forum deals with Crabs and Crabcakes in the Baltimore Area some time in the late summer. There have been several of these in past years. Janet and I have been able to attend a couple of them and have enjoyed the company and the food at each one.

I am sure the Hot-dog lovers in NY-NJ and Chicago will schedule more mini-tours of their communities. These events happen because folks in those areas organize and plan them and carry them off.

The first get-together of Roadfooders I ever attended was in Rancho Cucamonga, CA on Superbowl Sunday in 2004. There were about 20 roadfood members and their friends in attendance. We had a great time meeting our SoCal friends (and our Alaskan friends too). The success of these events are based on the efforts of the local organizers.

My suggestion for staging a 'Meet N Eat' is to find folks within travel-availability of where you would like to meet, and delvelop a plan for the 'party'. It can be a 'one-meal' party at a restaurant(Like the Crabfests have been), a several day event with 2 or 3 locations per day(Like Austin TX was), or (Like Nashville) a One Day Marathon of 6 locations in a day...with before and after extra socials. There are lots of logistical issues with each type, but they can be resolved and a great time had by all, if you want to do it.

ELISE, I haven't a clue as to the reason for the film crew. I will wait to see a response from someone who asked them.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/04 07:50:46 (permalink)
The NJ group has their annual hot dog tour on September 14th and there is talk of a Chicago summer event.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/04 07:54:36 (permalink)
Perhaps a calendar could be organized which has the nationally sanctioned and local/regional events with a link to the appropriate thread. Moderators could review each request, review history of submitters and check hits on the thread to determine posting to the calendar.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/04 10:05:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

what was the filming for???
I talked with the film crew at some length.They are producing a special on the Sterns for German television. There was also the Travel Editor of the Dallas Morning News who is going to do a story on the Sterns.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/04 10:34:56 (permalink)
quote:

Hi Al. Please keep us informed about the BBQ/OYSTER tour next year.
I am definitely on for that one!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7911
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/04 11:05:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

quote:

Hi Al. Please keep us informed about the BBQ/OYSTER tour next year.
I am definitely on for that one!

Me too,

I'll be foregoing a November 06 vacation in lieu of the tour!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10425
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/04 11:25:10 (permalink)
I loved my one visit to Mobile and think it would be an excellent choice. Count me in!
Rick F.
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/04 12:16:14 (permalink)
quote:

The Presidents Day Weekend BBQ/Oyster Tour is seriously considering Mobile,AL as the target for next February.
Count the Flynns in, too! And I might be able to get my daughter & s-i-l to join us, as they live fairly nearby.
desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/04 12:32:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

Perhaps a calendar could be organized which has the nationally sanctioned and local/regional events with a link to the appropriate thread. Moderators could review each request, review history of submitters and check hits on the thread to determine posting to the calendar.

calender of events....great idea!

lostnthemail
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 427
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/04 22:47:34 (permalink)
Here are some of my photos from the afternoon tour. Special thanks to the honorable Mayor for posting them for me.

Mr. Chips signs in on the lawn of the Loveless Cafe.

Does anyone have German TV? We're going to be famous....at least in Germany

Marc was surely saying "HOT". The Chicago couple broke out in a deep southern sweat over their HOT chicken. Fellow in the blue polo from New York (help me out with a name here) had well-worn copies of the Stern's books & had the signatures of many mom & pop restaurant owners in each book.

Cheryl enjoys her birthday gift...hot chicken at Prince's. Thought the bread would cool off the mouth. Mistake. It had soaked up the extra spices.

Lostnthemail (A.K.A. Darlene) & Cheryl. Left the men in our lives at the house & enjoyed a girls-only weekend.

Mr. Chips - The most Photographed member of the tour. Easy to focus on that t-shirt! I believe he had been to the fish fry next door to Prince's. Located at a private home, it was a fundraiser for a class reunion. Know the California couple & Ellen made a visit.

Swett's - Cheryl & I opted for the vegetables. The squash casserole & mash potatoes were very tasty. Any ideas on how they made them?

Ellen from New Jersey & her carry out tray.

Ellen at Monell's. Note the cornbread & the biscuit.

Jane & Michael were gracious to sign everyone's books.

me, Jane, Michael & Cheryl

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/04 23:38:22 (permalink)
Nice Job Darlene. You added a new point of reference for that tour. Thanks for the quick service on the CD.

In Reference to your request for a squash recipe...Here is a link to a recipe thread for the Squash Souffle served by the Dillard House in Dillard Georgia. It was wonderful!

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15665&SearchTerms=squash
lostnthemail
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 427
RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/05 07:45:44 (permalink)
Thanks, Mayor, for the recipe. I'll stash that one for a nice fall meal. Swett's casserole was not sweet. Squash, onion, cheese maybe???
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1