Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
2007/04/27 23:34:28 (permalink)

Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007

Friday Evening, A bunch of us met at La Hacienda A Mexican Restaurant for a pre-tour planning session. Here is a photo (posted at Jane's request) Of Michael Stern getting in shape for the Bus Tour Tomorrow.Surrounded by Steven Rushmore and the Sundancer , Michael seems to be right 'in stride'!!

This place is noted for its Margaritas that range from 16 oz to 60 oz. Very few places label a 45 oz Margarita as a MEDIUM !!Poverty Pete Introduced us to this treat.

Marc and Stephen put the finishing touches on the gameplan for Saturday.

Jane shared stories of her EMT Experiences, here with Roz (Iwannago). Not all the conversations at the table were on Roadfood.

The group worked very hard all evening..planning takes time !!

The Mayor got his usual shots of his dinner while all the plans were being made! First a Mexican Shrimp Cocktail, made in the style we used to get on the docks at Ensenada..(we fished there).. The difference between this and what one gets when ordering a shrimp cocktail is this has about a dozen medium shrimp all peeled, are in a small bowl full of spicy V8-like juice. Included are scallion bits and Cilantro. Rather than dip the shrimp into a pasty cocktail sauce, they marinate in the juice while waiting for you to 'snag' one. Then you drink the juice..Add some Alcohol and you would have a great Bloody Mary with extra protein and iodine!! We used to walk the beach after a day of fishing in the bay, chomping on the Shrimp and enjoying the spicy flavor of the juices. This one brought back a lot of pleasant memories of trips into Baja.

Then the plate of Carnitas with the usual sides. Carnitas are the closest thing to Pulled Pork one finds at most of these places.

At the end of the evening the Sterns posed for photos with the mayor...and many others.

63 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/28 06:20:21 (permalink)
    I'm ready for breakfast. Nice pix, Al!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/28 11:25:44 (permalink)
    I enjoyed the country ham, biscuits, red eye gravy and jellies with the Mayor, Janet, and I wanago at the Loveless. They did a very nice job remodeling the place. I enjoyed the way they converted the motel to gift shops.

(From AL) Here Sundancer enjoys a Ham Biscuit..with a slice of ham and a plate if warm biscuits waiting for butter, and various preserves to sweeten them up a bit.

I watched the bus leave full of anticipating roadfooders going on their multi stop eatathon this morning. RickF barely made the bus.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    tarragon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/28 11:55:56 (permalink)
    Many thanks, Mr. Mayor, for the first of the Nashville photos!! And a pic of the ever-elusive Jane S. too!! Jane, you look great!

This is so wonderful, especially for those like me who couldn't make the tour, to be able to participate by viewing the pics. Now that I've got the cable connection, I don't have any problems with downloading the photos, so thanks so much again, Al. And I'm looking forward to more.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/28 12:09:11 (permalink)
    Wow!

I knew I should have gone.

Everything looks great so far. Looking forward to seeing more!
    morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 559
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/28 12:29:54 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor and all,

Sure looks like everyone is having a great time, and the weekend is still young. It is great to have these pics so soon, so it feels like we are with you, too, and we are, in spirit.

Sure wish I could have made it out from CA, but the timing just wasn't right.

I hope each and everyone of you enjoy this road trip and make new, or renew, old friendships, and share your love for good food.

Looking forward to more pics.

MG
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/28 16:28:01 (permalink)
    Members who rode the morning Bus Tour came off the Bus with big smiles and no reported indigestion!! Jane and Michael enjoyed every stop !!!

Here are Mr Chips (The Jerry Garcia Look-alike!) and Skevekoe(Travelin'Man) Getting together again at Loveless Cafe. They have met in Mr Chips home area (Portland,OR) and now in Tennessee. Steve is wearing a Shiner's Beer Shirt Obtained when the group took a tour of the Shiners Brewery during the February Austin Texas BBQ Tour. Both have voiced praises for the friendships that have grown via the "Roadfood Connection".

Michael greets CHI-TWN-DINER getting ready for the morning ride.

Waiting to register for the hats and coffee mugs that were prizes for everyone. Notice the beautiful weather and smiling faces. If you see yourself in the photo, please post an identifing name and brief description. There are several folks I don't know in the Photo.

Marc greets the bus riders and helped get everyone settled.

We enjoyed a great day. More photos will be added shortly. Anyone with photos of the various Bus stops and restaurant scenes...Please add them to this thread.

Friday night Jane Stern appointed Demi and McDuff, our two Scotties, the Official Mascots of the Roadfood Group. This morning she informed them of their appointments and received some very enthusiastic tail wagging and doggie greetings in return.

morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 559
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/28 17:22:29 (permalink)
    Enjoying seeing the picture of your adventures and reports of your eating excursion, as they come in. Thanks to all!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/28 17:33:09 (permalink)

Sundancer and I wanted to try the 'Hot Fish' Sandwich which is a local Nashville favorite. Poverty Pete, Jan, Paul, and I headed for one of the better 'Fish Stands' to try them out.

We got "small" sandwiches ...Whitefish or Catfish for about $4 each. Here is my Catfish Sandwich. It looked kind of like a good Pork Tenderloin, in that it overhung the bread on all sides! There was close to a pound of Catfish filets in that "SMALL" sandwich...A real Hot Treat..both Spicy and Fresh out of the Fryer. Hot Sauce, Yellow Mustard, Pickle and Sliced Onion are the normal 'condiments' for these beauties. American Cheese is available also.

Available at a number of small locations around the city. The HOT FISH SANDWICH is a real treat in Nashville!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/28 18:03:54 (permalink)
    If you're a numbers person...got to the Loveless at 7:12am. Six hours and 38 minutes later, we completed the morning tour with a still counting 'em - 28 items tried at 4 establishments! The pimento cheese sandwich with bacon and tomato on white toast was supurb! Great to meet all the Roadfooders and to share (literally) many items!
    acornlover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/28 20:12:34 (permalink)
    You all look like you are having a great time!!
    Keep us up to date and ENJOY!!

Kathy
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/28 21:14:48 (permalink)
    Great reports there! Thanks!!!!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/28 22:08:08 (permalink)
    Sunday morning a few of the "Die-Hards" met for a Farewell Brunch at Ellendales, another Nashville Landmark. Here is the group--
    Al- PC DIVA's Mother- PC DIVA (Alice)- Mr Chips (JIM)- Poverty Pete- Mrs Mayor- Ellen- Jan Flinn- and Rick Flinn.

Here we are lined up at the Omelet Table. That's Rick Flinn on the right then Stevekoe/Travelin' Man then Chips and on the end is Poverty Pete

The Brunch had everything from some great custom-done Omelets, Beef short ribs, Crawdads en-shell, All the breakfast meats and grits you could want, and a fine selection of Pastries and desserts. Here is "My dessert Plate" - Brie, Strawberries and Fudge Sauce and Whipped cream.

MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5475
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/29 10:00:29 (permalink)
    Good God Mr. Chips could be my brother if not my twin! That sure is a scary thought.

Glad to see/hear that ya'all had a great time.

MikeS.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/29 10:12:02 (permalink)
    All looking good so far!
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/29 15:32:16 (permalink)
    Kudoes to Janet Stern for having the good sense and good taste to make Demi and McDuff the official mascots of Roadfood.

Pwingsx is jealous (no, not me, the real Pwingsx). " />
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/29 16:25:39 (permalink)
    We arrived Home at about 4 PM, after a beautiful sunny afternoon ride up from Nashville. Given a short rest, we will then work on the photos from last night (Janet did a 60oz Margarita for the first time...)

I already made this plea Once..but we need to have photos added of the bus-ride and the food-stops on the tour. We did the start and finish of the tours, and the Mexican evenings and Today's great Brunch at Ellendales...but we need photos and comments about the bus-ride. You bus tourists need to either post them or send some to me to post on this thread SOON!! Timing of a News Story IS EVERYTHING !!!

MIKE S... You have at least 24 vertical inches on Mr Chips!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/29 18:19:42 (permalink)
    Al, I got about 50 digital pics. I am not sure how to send them to you. Perhaps I should get a disc made and send them to you and let you pic and choose. I would email them to you but I am aware of the way you receive.

Please advise.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/29 18:40:56 (permalink)
    Yes Paul, The easiest thing to do is make a Photo CD and postal mail it to me.

I uploaded about 180 photos this afternoon and deleted 60 or so duplicates or too dark or really dumb shots. I will edit some of them for the thread like the bunch on here now.. The rest I will size at 8"x10" and make CD's here to send out to some of the tour folks.
    The original photos on my Canon are large 32"x48" and roughly 4-5 megs each in size. I like that because i can get great detail no matter how I crop them. After editing I try to keep them under a Meg in size to allow for emailing.
    AL
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/29 19:01:30 (permalink)
    Hello all ,
    Great photos so far anf trip reports .
    Looks like everyone had a great time . !!
    Any Hot Dogs eaten along the way?
    Keep the reports coming

Benzee
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/29 19:16:58 (permalink)
    Here is BuffetBuster (in Blue) and his cousin getting ready to order a libation at La Hacienda. He is comparing the 16 0z little guy...the 45 oz "medium" (the Mayor's Drink) and a newly arrived 60 oz "Grande" that Janet decided to try! We had a lot of fun sharing stories with these guys!

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/29 21:07:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Hey, I recognize that yankee in the ballcap! I just hope he wasn't in charge of the donut order!!

PepperPhil
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/29 22:25:11 (permalink)
    Great shots, glad everyone enjoyed themselves..... ah there's always next year
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/30 05:34:32 (permalink)
    Well......I missed another good trip. Some day..........
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/30 05:47:59 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Al, great photos. It is so good to see the people who write here.
    One day I hope to join in one of the trips.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2130
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/30 19:04:04 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, my camera crapped out on the trip, but I was able to recover the wonderful hot chicken at Prince's

lostnthemail
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 427
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/30 22:29:47 (permalink)
    Had a great time! Mayor, I have photos that I will send ya of the afternoon tour. Let me hear. Wasn't the squash casserole the best ever? Friend loved the hot chicken the best. I'm ready for the next tour!!!

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/04/30 22:39:35 (permalink)
    As a chilihead that Prince's chicken is one of the most mouth watering pictures I've seen. What heat level is that?
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/01 01:34:24 (permalink)
    Too bad you guys can't just load them pictures all up to a photo sharing web site like Snapfish or any other one you guys like. I would like to sit back and look at all the Pictures. Wait... What was I thinking? Why can't Roadfood.Com just have a spot right here on the Roadfood Main Page with a link right to the pictures of the latest roadfood trip only. Just wondering?
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10475
    RE: Nashville Trip Report- Photo Report-April 2007 2007/05/01 08:25:17 (permalink)
    I've been home for two days now and almost fully recovered from the busy, but fun weekend in Nashville. Here are the places my cousin and I ate, all on Friday and Saturday:

Pancake Pantry, Arnold's Country Kitchen, Elliston Place Soda Shop, Rotier's, Prince's Hot Chicken, Loveless Cafe (Roadfood Bus Tour), Puckett's Grocery (RBT), Henpeck Market (RBT), Sylvan Park (RBT), Swett's, McNeil's Produce Stand and La Hacienda.

Arnold's was simply the best meat & three I have ever visited and gets my vote for best meal on the trip, while my cousin thought it was a tie between Arnold's and Pancake Pantry. On the bus tour, we both loved Puckett's and Henpeck Market and I plan on going back and eating full meals at both next time in town.

This was the third Roadfood bus tour I have been on and it was my favorite, too. That is because I was able to meet some fellow Roadfooders for the first time, like Poverty Pete, Mr. Chips, Sundancer, The Travelin' Man, ChiTownDiner (who was extremely generous sharing his food on the bus tour stops) and the Mayor himself.

We also got to meet several other people on the bus who don't post here (or at least often), like the couple from California (she's from Sacramento and he's from LA and buys t-shirts at all the Roadfood spots he visits). And also Larry and Liz from Dallas (soon to be Birmingham) who shared tables with us at two of the stops. Everyone was so nice. My only regret was there wasn't more time to meet more people.

Here is the first photo of the eating places on the tour. I'll add some more here shortly.

Stephen is leading the line, Then Bruce and Sue, the ChiTwnDiner and his wife and family, Then Jane and Michael....and the rest of the pack !!

Jane and Michael are center-stage here at one of the stops.

Halfway through eating this delicious blackberry cobbler at Puckett's Grocery, ChiTownDiner and I traded desserts with me getting his banana pudding.

Several people on the bus (me included) mentioned that this grilled pimiento cheese sandwich with bacon and tomato was their favorite food from the tour

I am already looking forward to next year's Roadfood bus tour in Austin!
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1