Nashville to Columbus, GA

Author
gbailey
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2012/09/13 10:51:42 (permalink)

Nashville to Columbus, GA

Heading to Columbus, GA for a family wedding on Friday; looking for Friday lunch suggestions -- prefer north or south of Atlanta (want to get through there before weekend traffic picks up) -- and ideas for Sunday lunch on return trip. Thanks.

7 Replies Related Threads

kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    Re:Nashville to Columbus, GA 2012/09/13 12:04:29 (permalink)
    gbailey

Heading to Columbus, GA for a family wedding on Friday; looking for Friday lunch suggestions -- prefer north or south of Atlanta (want to get through there before weekend traffic picks up) -- and ideas for Sunday lunch on return trip. Thanks.

Sprayberry's BBQ in Newnan is very good and just off of I-85

http://www.sprayberrysbbq.com/

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10083
    Re:Nashville to Columbus, GA 2012/09/13 13:21:31 (permalink)

That is the Lewis Grizzard plate I had at Sprayberry's BBQ two weeks ago.
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:Nashville to Columbus, GA 2012/09/13 15:43:15 (permalink)
    Sprayberry's is definitely your best choice on the way down.  There are one or two other interesting places if you're willing to get off the road a little ways - Redneck Gourmet in downtown Newnan is much-loved, and I was pleased with my recent trip to Charlie Joseph's in LaGrange (see http://marieletseat.com/2...e-josephs-lagrange-ga/ ), and there's supposed to be a good barbecue place in Hogansville that I intended to try last month, Hog Heaven, but I had an extra meal in Columbus instead.

One thing to note is that wherever you choose, you'll need to get it someplace before you get on I-185.  That's a wonderful state-designated scenic highway, with not a billboard or business for forty miles, until you reach the outskirts of Columbus.  It's quite gorgeous, and you'll leave wishing every interstate looked like it.  There's plenty of good-to-fantastic eating when you arrive, both in Columbus and in Phenix City, and I think that my blog can give you lots of good ideas... especially since I just checked and every one of these four recommendations is closed on Sundays!  You'll probably want to eat before you leave Columbus, basically, or wait until you're back in Atlanta.
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    Re:Nashville to Columbus, GA 2012/09/13 16:02:32 (permalink)
    Heartbreaksoup

Sprayberry's is definitely your best choice on the way down.  There are one or two other interesting places if you're willing to get off the road a little ways - Redneck Gourmet in downtown Newnan is much-loved, and I was pleased with my recent trip to Charlie Joseph's in LaGrange (see http://marieletseat.com/2...e-josephs-lagrange-ga/ ), and there's supposed to be a good barbecue place in Hogansville that I intended to try last month, Hog Heaven, but I had an extra meal in Columbus instead.

One thing to note is that wherever you choose, you'll need to get it someplace before you get on I-185.  That's a wonderful state-designated scenic highway, with not a billboard or business for forty miles, until you reach the outskirts of Columbus.  It's quite gorgeous, and you'll leave wishing every interstate looked like it.  There's plenty of good-to-fantastic eating when you arrive, both in Columbus and in Phenix City, and I think that my blog can give you lots of good ideas... especially since I just checked and every one of these four recommendations is closed on Sundays!  You'll probably want to eat before you leave Columbus, basically, or wait until you're back in Atlanta.

Unless you want to venture to the town of Warm Springs. We had a good meal there but I can't remember the name of the place now!
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:Nashville to Columbus, GA 2012/09/13 17:31:49 (permalink)
    Perhaps you're thinking of the Bulloch House?  That is indeed open Sunday, and comes Roadfood-reviewed-and-approved.  It's certainly a detour, but a good destination.

Oh! The other thing to do in Columbus is stop by a Publix grocery store and get a 12-pack of Buffalo Rock ginger ale to take home.  They certainly don't have that in Nashville.
    gbailey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:Nashville to Columbus, GA 2012/09/14 09:23:06 (permalink)
    thanks for the suggestions! Sprayberry's it is! And I'll make a stop at Publix for some Buffalo Rock ginger ale!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10083
    Re:Nashville to Columbus, GA 2012/09/14 09:53:06 (permalink)
    BTW, I don't know how others feel, but I did not like Sprayberry's brunswick stew.  The onion rings and pork bbq sandwich (I like it with cole slaw on it) were both very good.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1