Nashville to Louisville - where to eat???

Author
mlinkinhoker
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
2012/07/14 23:15:52 (permalink)

Nashville to Louisville - where to eat???

So I am driving from Nashville to Louisville this week and wondered where all you would eat along the route, while in Louisville (for a couple of days), and maybe a brief trip just over into Indiana to visit someone and maybe even coming back a less direct route.  Maybe even some back roads if anyone has any tips or suggestions.

Here's is what I am thinking so far:
Brown Hotel for a hot brown
Lynn's Paradise Cafe
Bon Ton Mini Mart to try their chicken
Moonlight BBQ for the mutton

Agree, disagree, better places, other places?

13 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10209
    Re:Nashville to Louisville - where to eat??? 2012/07/14 23:27:58 (permalink)
    You've got the bases covered!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10216
    Re:Nashville to Louisville - where to eat??? 2012/07/15 04:11:04 (permalink)
    mlinkinhoker-
    A place I am very curious about is Dovie's in Tompkinsville, KY.  It sure sounds like a Roadfood kind of place.  Would love to get there someday.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15233
    Re:Nashville to Louisville - where to eat??? 2012/07/15 17:07:17 (permalink)
    Depending on when and where you go in Indiana, Hubers Family Farm Restuarant NW of L-ville in the hills overlooking the Ohio River Valley. Excellent family style Chicken dinners and outstanding "fried rolls" and homemade applebutter.
    Claudia Sanders Dinner House near Shelbyville, KY about 20 east of L-ville just off I-64. Home restaurant for Mrs Colonel Sanders while the Colonel was on the road selling his business. Great ambience and KFC made and served the way it should be, and other great recipe items too. 
    Mike Lining's Fish House next to the river on the SW side of L-ville is another winner.
    Moonlite BBQ is a winner...best on Friday evening when they add Oysters, Shrimp, and Catfish to the already great Buffet.
    post edited by mayor al - 2012/07/15 17:13:08
    love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1373
    Re:Nashville to Louisville - where to eat??? 2012/07/15 19:16:55 (permalink)
    I'm a big fan of the Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen in Louisville.  They have several locations, but I went to the one on Bardstown Road.  Be sure to order the Chocolate Pecan Pie with bourbon.  It is outstanding!  Just know that it's so intense, I could not finish it in one sitting, but that's not a bad thing--I just enjoyed it again later!

www.piekitchen.com
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    Re:Nashville to Louisville - where to eat??? 2012/07/15 22:36:46 (permalink)
    A great place to try interesting ice cream is The Comfy Cow, they have 3 locations... near U of Louisville, one in Westport Village and one on Frankfort Ave....
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15233
    Re:Nashville to Louisville - where to eat??? 2012/07/17 19:27:00 (permalink)
    Ian's Mom, Nice to see you here on the boards again.  Welcome back.
    AL
    hmm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Nashville to Louisville - where to eat??? 2012/07/17 22:49:46 (permalink)
    Gotta say, wasn't a fan of Lynn's Paradise Cafe--felt very touristy, and the prices were very high, though the food was decent quality. (And the portions are huge, so maybe the pricing is better when you consider that ...) Sorry to be negative--i just didn't know what i was getting into when i went, and I was disappointed.

I loved Bon-Ton Mini Mart! One of my all-time road-eating favorites. And I believe I got a very good chess pie from Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10209
    Re:Nashville to Louisville - where to eat??? 2012/07/18 04:32:23 (permalink)
    MLINKINHOLTER
    Could we have a trip report or feedback where you ate?
    It's common courtesy to report back if you ask for suggestions.
    mlinkinhoker
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Nashville to Louisville - where to eat??? 2012/07/19 23:59:59 (permalink)
    I will report back - I wound up not feeling good so I didn't drive up to meet the hubby until today and got in during the middle of rush hour traffic.  Huge storm hit and we just wound up walking up to the neat little area on 4th that has the glass awning stpanning over the street.  Ate at Gordon Biersch - I know, chain, but at least it's prepared fresh.  And the beer was good!!!  I have to say that their kobe burger was a VERY good burger - great flavor, you could smell it as she put it on the table, great beefy smell.  And they had the little touch that makes it for me - a great bun that was buttered and toasted!

Huber's was on the list when I thought hubby's friend lived in Scottsville, IN.  It's Scottburg.  Not too many options but we found a couple of places that are intriguing.  Lucille's and Lurton's.  We are sort of at the mercy of them tomorrow night.

Tomorrow for lunch, I think I have to go to J. Grahams at The Brown Hotel and have an original hot brown.  Then a walk down to Muth's Candy Store - been around since 1912 and I hear their modjeskas and brittles are to die for.

I am scared Lynn's is going to disappoint but I'm thinking breakfast/brunchish at Lynn's.  Mike Lining's looks good for supper.  And I had found the Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen so that might be on the schedule too.  If our friends don't go for Lurton's, hubby is thinking he wants to go over there Saturday for lunch.

Planning on hitting Bon Ton and Moonlight Sunday on the way home.  But things could change any time depending on what we pass along the way.

Might not make Dovie's but that doesn't look that far from us so it might be fun to just go up there one Saturday.  We are on a hamburger kick lately - looking for the best burgers.
    mlinkinhoker
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Nashville to Louisville - where to eat??? 2012/07/28 23:48:44 (permalink)
    Okay - trip report posted under trip reports.  
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Nashville to Louisville - where to eat??? 2012/10/05 08:43:18 (permalink)
    I was in Louisville this week for a convention and it was suggested that my co-worker and I go to a place called The Come Back Inn.  One of the difficult things about going to a place where you have a one night stand is what to choose when so many thiungs on the menu look good.  It's just a nioce sized neighborhood bar/tavern with outstanding food.  The food is more Italian oriented with pizza and pasta but also Italian beef sandwiches as gthe owner was from Chicago.    My co-worked ended up with the Italian Beef and I had a calzone because I was in a mood for that.  Both were great, moderately priced, waitress was friendly and the place was hopping  for a Tuesday night.  There's some awesome food places in Louisville but I'd goback to this one.
    Uncle Groucho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Nashville to Louisville - where to eat??? 2012/10/05 23:04:22 (permalink)
    I was going to suggest The Come Inn , I Guess I should have. There are 2 locations, the first one is across the Ohio River in Jeffersonville In. They have great food and a good selection of local Beer and Wine. I would suggest that next time try their Crabcakes, they are pretty good .
    Another place is garageonmarket.com check that place out it is Awsome.
    Down town louisville Ky has really exploded in the past few years, They have something to fit everyones taste buds . I hope you enjoyed your visit.
    Littleman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 590
    Re:Nashville to Louisville - where to eat??? 2012/10/06 14:15:46 (permalink)
    Get off I 65 at Exit 2 in Franklin, KY and go to Nashville Road in Franklin, KY to Jim's BBQ for outstanding KY country food. Get off I 65 at Exit 26 in Bowling Gren, KY and go W on Cemetery Road or Fairview Avenue to Chestnut. Take a left and go to Brickyard Cafe for fine Italian for lunch and dinner. Get off I 65 at Exit 65 in Munfordville, KY and go S on Main Street to Big Bubba Buck 's BBQ for good Kentucky BBQ. Get off I 65 at Exit 86 at Glendale, KY and go to The Whistle Stop or Tony York's for outstanding southern country food for lunch or dinner. Get off I 65 at Exit 94 in Elizabetown, KY and go W on Mulberry to Commerce Drive. Take a left and go to Texas Outlaw BBQ for good road food.

Jim's BBQ @ 6111 Nashville Rd., Franklin, KY. 270 - 586 - 9851.
    Brickyard Cafe @ 1026 Chestnut St., Bowling Green, KY 270 - 843 - 6431.
    http://www.brickyardcafe.net/
    Big Bubba Bucks BBQ @ 1802 Main St., Munfordville, KY 270 - 524 - 3333.
    The Whistle Stop Restaurant @ 216 East Main St., Glendale, KY 270 - 369 - 7969.
    http://www.whistlestoprestaurant.net/
    Tony York's @ 201 East Main Street, Glendale, KY 270 - 369 - 6000. I65/EXIT86.
    Texas Outlaw BBQ @ 220 Commerce Dr., Elizabethtown, KY 270 - 234 - 8586.
    Get off I 65 at Exit 94 in Elizabethtown, KY and go W on N Mulberry about half a mile to Stone Hearth Restaurant for outstanding southern food. The fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy is outstanding. Get a Kentucky tradition Hot Brown sandwich or one of their delicious po boys. Call ahead and get a box lunch to go. Get off I 65 at Exit 127 in Louisville, KY and go E on Highway 1065 to Preston Highway. Take a left a go 3 blocks to Bootleg BBQ for outstanding southern food open at 11AM for lunch and dinner 7 days a week. For good home style food with a water front view get off I 65 at Exit 0 at Court and go W to the first street. Take a left and go S to Riverside Drive to Buck Head Mountain Grill for lunch or dinner.
    Stone Hearth Restaurant @ 1001 North Mulberry Street, Elizabethtown, KY 270 - 765 - 4898.
    http://www.stonehearthetown.com/
    Bootleg BBQ @ 7508 Preston Hwy., Louisville, KY. 502 - 239 - 2722.
    http://www.bootlegbbq.net/
    Buckhead Mountain Grill @ 4112 Outer Loop, Louisville, KY 502 - 966 - 5555.
    http://www.eatatbuckheads.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1