Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Nathan's Frozen Fries

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38
John A

• Total Posts: 4295
Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 7:18 AM (permalink)
First time I've seen these.

Hmm, what to cook with them?

They are very tasty. Instructions say 18-22 minutes, I gave them 20. Should have gone for the 22 or even a little more. Oh well, rib eyes could be a little rarer; I should have drank that cocktail a little faster.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
    Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 7:22 AM (permalink)
    John,
       Tried these a few weeks ago.They're now my frozen fry of choice...Deep fry them and they're close to what you get at a Nathan's.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
      Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 7:54 AM (permalink)
      John, I like these too. They also make decent frozen batter dipped onion rings.

MiamiDon

Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 8:13 AM (permalink)
        Hi John,

What do you like in particular about the Nathan's fries.  Is it the shape?  I don't cook fries very often, but I am thinking about cranking up the deep frier next weekend to make some Buffalo-style wings, so it would be easy to toss in some frozen fries somewhere along the line.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
          Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 8:49 AM (permalink)
          John, I've been seeing them here on Long Island for a few years.  I LOVE them, the are delicious, but the kids don't like them, (I eat them with mustard!!) so I buy the other frozen french fries. 

Lexi

• Total Posts: 248
            Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 9:51 AM (permalink)
            I keep the Onion Rings on hand.  They are pricey, but so much better than anything else out there.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
              Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 10:40 AM (permalink)
              Crinkle cut fries are my favorite, and as of late I have read a couple of things elsewhere about Nathans.I think Billyboy included them in his 2008 review.I am 100% sure the frozen ones arent available here in Wisconsin.* sigh*

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 10:53 AM (permalink)
                MD - We literally spent an additional $3000 for a separate fryer dedicated just for our chicken wings back in the day.  Do most places do that today?  Probably not unless they specialize in wings.  The meat juices from the fresh wings breakdown that oil real fast. Oil is expensive; Even more so thanks to the ethanol stuff. 

You might want to change that oil for your fries..Maybe you were planning on doing that anyway.  Try peanut oil for the Nathan's fries.  It is the best cooking oil!

Thanks JohnA...for the heads up!  I'm at Publix tommorrow for those babies and a quart of peanut oil.  I'll try the onion rings, too and fry them both.  I am really happy to hear they are so good!  I do not like oven baked fries albeit they are much healthier for you..I'll let the next generation worry about that.

Do they tell you what type of potato they are using?  I believe one of the reasons people are fans of these potatoes goes directly opposite of what a french fry is commonly anticipated to be..crispy and dry inside. 

Nathan's uses a high moisture potato rather than russets like Simplot or Ore-I Da uses.  A Nathan's french fry, out at Coney Island and at their mall locations will actually bend when you pick them up in your hand; they are not crispy. 

I am fairly certain they are using a Maine potato.  Or some other type of Eastern potato from a state such as Michigan.   The big plus is their taste and the fact that at least they use to fry them in peanut oil.  I have to look at that ingredient list on the bag.  Maybe they are now using corn oil?  Special recipe?  It's the kind of potato and the oil they are using...There's nothing else really. 

John A - Cooking them longer "might" give you a bit more crispy texture, but the beauty of their fries are in the taste far more than in the texture.  If you have never had their fries before, then you would not know this.  No, they are not your traditional fry and they are never going to have that traditional fry texture.  

Steak looks good..Which do you like better..Rib Eye or NY Strip? 
                <message edited by Baah Ben on Sun, 01/11/09 11:13 AM>

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6091
                  Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 11:45 AM (permalink)
                  Baah Ben, what kind of fryer and what was the capacity of that $3000 fryer, damn that sounds expensive!

Baah Ben

Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 11:50 AM (permalink)
                    Chew - We had three Keatings...Special gas fryers made for hi recovery..Keating was and may still be the best fryer in the industry.  The Dirty O in Pittsburgh also used them for years and with the incredible volume (ask BB) of fries they did and still do, it was worth getting the best.  They still may use them..Not sure.  Maybe BB can find out next time he's there.

Sadly, we never did their volume though.  I don't recall the size off the top of my head, but they were the biggest capacity ones they made at that time.  The one dedicated for the wings also had a built in filter system; a fairly new concept at that time (early 90's).  Yes, they were expensive.  I am be off a few hundred dollars, but not by much with that filtering system and the flex gas disconnet and the casters..We could pull the fryers out and clean behind them. It saved us a tremendous amount of time. 

We also had a Keating Mira Clean griddle for the hot dogs, which had a special finish on it so all you had to do was throw water on it and it would remove all the grease, etc.  But, that was a mistake because if the short order cook started hacking away on the top with a spatula, it would ruin the surface.

Sorry, for digressing JohnA ..Back to the fries themselves. 
                    <message edited by Baah Ben on Sun, 01/11/09 12:13 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17795
                      Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 12:33 PM (permalink)
                      I'd kill to be able to buy those here. The only fries I'll eat are those big fat wavy cut ones that I grew up with, and the ones from Nathan's -- at Nathans -- are that type. These are close enough for me to want them.

John A

Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 2:49 PM (permalink)
                        Publix does not have them, everybody's favorite store to hate does - Wal Mart. Check the Wal Mart near you for them.

John A

Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 2:53 PM (permalink)
                          MiamiDon

Hi John,

What do you like in particular about the Nathan's fries.  Is it the shape?  I don't cook fries very often, but I am thinking about cranking up the deep frier next weekend to make some Buffalo-style wings, so it would be easy to toss in some frozen fries somewhere along the line.

Don,

They have a very distinctive flavor. Even though I would like them a little crispier they warn you not to overcook them. Guess Baah Ben nailed it, that might affect the taste.

MiamiDon

Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 3:01 PM (permalink)
                            It sounds like I may be making my first trip to a Walmart. 

John A

Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 5:02 PM (permalink)
                              Looks like someone does not like them as I've been rated a minus two stars since my last post here. Too bad these sniveling little cowards do not have the guts to tell us what it is they do not like about a post instead of hiding behind the keyboard.

ann peeples

Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 5:20 PM (permalink)
                                I am surprised at this point system-really wasnt aware of it. John, you are a gem in my eyes and I dont care what anyone says....I only am a 10 now-could care less.Dont even know what it means??????? And much less how to rate someone....

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                                  Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 5:20 PM (permalink)
                                  John  the whole system sucks!  It makes it into a popularity contest and nothing else....................oh poop..............................I am about to get another minus 30 points for this post.

ann peeples

Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 5:28 PM (permalink)
                                    Gee- How do I rate you, Greymo.....I would give you a negative 12!

Baah Ben

Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                      JohnA - Walmart huh.  Ok, then it's Walmart tommorrow.  That's fine with me.  I love Walmart!  

What about my steak question to you?  Rib vs NY Strip?

John A

Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 5:49 PM (permalink)
                                        Greymo, this is one of those rare times when we agree.   I think the tone of peoples responses to a post serve as a scoring system. However, they cannot be tracked; for whatever that's worth???

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                          Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 5:53 PM (permalink)
                                          John A

MiamiDon

Hi John,

Don,

They have a very distinctive flavor. Even though I would like them a little crispier they warn you not to overcook them. Guess Baah Ben nailed it, that might affect the taste.

Save your bacon grease.  Buy pork fat from your favorite place.  Render & fry.  There.  ;)  Ta Daa....

John A

Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 5:55 PM (permalink)
                                            Baah Ben

JohnA - Walmart huh.  Ok, then it's Walmart tommorrow.  That's fine with me.  I love Walmart!  

What about my steak question to you?  Rib vs NY Strip?

Whichever is on sale At the same price I opt for a NY strip as it seems to have a more beef flavor. Funny thing is that Publix has rib eyes on sale a lot more often then NY strip. Wonder why???

ann peeples

Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 6:09 PM (permalink)
                                              I guess I am not popular.I was JUST kidding, Greymo. No one answers my posts, so now I know why-or, more appropriately, why someone else gets all the posts. Anyway, will be reading......

John A

Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 7:33 PM (permalink)
                                                annpeeples

I guess I am not popular.I was JUST kidding, Greymo. No one answers my posts, so now I know why-or, more appropriately, why someone else gets all the posts. Anyway, will be reading......

Ann, you must be joking. It's not the quantity but the tone of the responses. I cannot recall there ever being a negative response to any of your posts. And if there ever is I challenge them to a dual.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4462
                                                  Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 7:44 PM (permalink)
                                                  John A

Looks like someone does not like them as I've been rated a minus two stars since my last post here. Too bad these sniveling little cowards do not have the guts to tell us what it is they do not like about a post instead of hiding behind the keyboard.

The "One Star Wonder Boy/Girl" Strikes Again!!!

BAM!!!...5 Stars For Everyone!

Baah Ben

• Location: Ormond Beach, FL
                                                    Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 8:08 PM (permalink)
                                                    Ann - Not true!  You are very well liked....I have never checked any ratings.. Say what you think can help others.  That's all that matters.  People can take it or leave it...

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                                                      • Location: Marriottsville, MD
                                                      Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 9:21 PM (permalink)
                                                      annpeeples

Gee- How do I rate you, Greymo.....I would give you a negative 12!

Honey....................that is great.  However, I do not lower myself to rate anyone's posts, whether I like them or not.  If I do not agree with a poster, I just come right out and tell them.....................this sneaky stuff goes against my grain.

drpep

• Total Posts: 335
                                                        Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 9:21 PM (permalink)
                                                         Ahh Nathans Fries. Love them. Too bad they are hard for me to find and too expensive to buy more than one or two bags when I do find them.
                                                         No Walmart around me has them (upstate NY).
                                                        <message edited by drpep on Sun, 01/11/09 9:23 PM>

PhineasWhoopee

• Total Posts: 15
                                                          Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Sun, 01/11/09 9:35 PM (permalink)
                                                          This thread reminded me of this interesting web site.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5357
                                                            • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Nathan's Frozen Fries Mon, 01/12/09 1:08 AM (permalink)
                                                            JohnA, a thread about cooking frozen FFs? Not up to your usual high standards IMHO.

MikeS.

No cheap shots here!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com