Nathan's natural casing beef dog

Author
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1510
2007/09/24 13:13:58 (permalink)

Nathan's natural casing beef dog

While looking through this forum the other day someone posted a link to a site called to www.offthebroiler.com . They had done an extensive taste test on I believe 30 some different brands of retail hot dogs. One of the highest rated was Nathan's natural casing beef dog and though I haven't tried or seen many of the ones on the list I did manage to find these dogs at the local Kroger. I grilled them per the instructions on the package and they were delicious. Had a nice little snap when you took a bite and an excellent flavor and not too salty. According to the review these are the type dogs served at Nathan's original stand. I certainly did like them.

27 Replies Related Threads

RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2007/09/24 13:55:20 (permalink)
    That's the best dog I've been able to find in this area ces. I keep hoping to run across a boars head distributor but not having any luck. There is one in the area but he won't return my phone calls ;-) - kroger in west virginia carries the natural casing boars head.

kroger puts the natural casing dogs on sale from time to time. was 2 packs for $5..now the sale price seems to be 2 packs for $7.

also, i read a review recently that touted the nathans new kosher dog as a very good skinless hotdog. i'm going to give them a try..the hebrew nationals brand (skinless) seem to have more salt then they once did.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2007/09/24 14:39:35 (permalink)
    I wish I could find them on this side of the continent.
    djtomatoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2007/10/10 17:06:12 (permalink)
    i was not aware thtat nathans offered a cased dog inretail,,,thought that they only had the skin on dogs at their stores when i called nathans re: a skinon dog,,,they told me i would need to have a franchise to get the skin on dog.

is there a retail outlet that anyone know about that offers a skin on nathans dog.

also,,, whaere is the nathans" kosher" dog available?
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2007/10/10 17:14:48 (permalink)
    I've heard nothing but good things about Nathans Natural Casing dogs.. Only problem is they carry the skinless around here.. Boars Head are available, but not paying 5 something a pound for a dog.. (Either live or stuffed in a casing)... Priced higher then Dietz and Watson Dogs..

ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2007/10/10 17:23:38 (permalink)
    Hot Dogs (Frankfurters) Description: A fine blend of Beef, Veal, and Pork fully cooked and smoked. Seasoned with white pepper, garlic, and mace. Rated #1 Hot Dog in the Nation in 2002
    http://www.liehsandsteigerwald.com/
    they really are a great hot dog. you have to call to order them and check out the rest of the meats they sell
    phlmaestro2000
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2007/10/10 17:36:44 (permalink)
    I just started finding them in Philly recently after looking unsuccessfully for a while. I think I prefer them to Boar's Head. They have a great flavor. My preferred way of preparing them is to fry them in a lightly oiled pan until they're nice and blistered on the outside.
    DOOWOPMAN
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2007/10/11 13:37:29 (permalink)
    In Las Vegas the only stores that carry the Nathan's Natural Casing hotdogs is Albertson's.
    I have found that the best way to cook them is the way they cook them at Nathan's in Brooklyn, NY. Put them on a very low heat griddle(I put a piece of aluminum foil under so I don't have to clean the griddle)and turn them over when heated. I NEVER let them heat to the point that they split because that releases and wastes the moisture that helps make them taste so good. The whole point of cooking a natural casing dog is to keep the "goodness" in until you bite into it and get the wonderful "snap"
    The only Boar's head frank that I tried was not Kosher, like the Nathan's is, and for me the only good dog is all beef. I save the pork for spareribs. Most Boarshead products are way overpriced but their "horseradish-cheddar cheese" is almost worth the money - I get it when it's on sale.
    Doowopman

gschwim
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2007/10/14 05:43:35 (permalink)
    I like the Nathan's with casings better than Boar's Head, my (strong) second choice. They are available at my local market in NYC in packages of 6.
    bosco lover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2007/10/22 16:53:58 (permalink)
    i also prefer nathan's to boar's head. this is our go to hot dog, and enjoy them cooked on a grill in the park (if there are kids around we always get them publix hot dogs, the kids wont know the difference and saves some money) other than some local dogs ive had in the northeast, its the best
    DOOWOPMAN
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2007/10/22 21:17:50 (permalink)
    In my 10/11/07 posting, I stated that the Nathan's, natural casing hot dog is kosher and it is not (with a name like Nathan's you'd think that it would be) and I wanted to post a correction so as to not mislead anyone. I suspect that the natural casing prevents it from qualifying for the "K".
    Doowopman
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2007/10/23 14:57:19 (permalink)
    Nathan's Natural Casing Hot Dogs:

www.hotdogshopsaroundamerica.com/hotdogblog
    gschwim
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2007/10/24 04:45:42 (permalink)
    Doowopman,

You are right: the natural casing dogs are not kosher, but Nathan's does offer a kosher hot dog. I could not find it on their online store...

http://shop.nathansfamous.com/hotdogs

... but they are available at my local supermarket (in NYC). Perhaps, you could contact them... OMIGOD!!! Nathan's Corn Dogs! (http://shop.nathansfamous.com/node/179) And Corn Dog Nuggets! (http://shop.nathansfamous.com/node/210)
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2007/10/24 10:25:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hot Dog King

Nathan's Natural Casing Hot Dogs:

www.hotdogshopsaroundamerica.com/hotdogblog

Nice paper plate, too.
    The Bear
    wine snob
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2007/10/24 22:49:11 (permalink)
    mauis doghouse in wildwood nj beef pork and veal cooked the only way a dog should on a grill.....all beef is not a real german dog ,just a wanna be for those who don't eat pork!
    Lance Uppercut
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2008/02/03 16:47:45 (permalink)
    Nathan's natural casing dogs are my second fav after Boar's Head.

Our local store never seem to carry them, just the skinless, but a friend of my said CostCo gets them from time to time.

Looks like you can order then direct from Nathan's online store.

I prefer a steamed/boiled dog over a grilled one.
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2008/02/03 16:58:49 (permalink)
    Try http://www.koegelmeats.com/
    I have eaten Hot Dogs all across the country and would stack my Hot Dog knowledge up against anyone. While Nathans and Boars Head are good dogs and better than most my personal favorite hands down is Koegles. Even when making a great Chicago Style I still choose them. And after 40 years of eating them they still taste exactly the same....Russ
    Lance Uppercut
    Junior Burger
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2008/02/03 17:09:58 (permalink)
    Never had a Koegles, not sure if I can get them here.

BTW: Koegles website has terrible functionality.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2008/02/04 10:41:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

I have eaten Hot Dogs all across the country and would stack my Hot Dog knowledge up against anyone. While Nathans and Boars Head are good dogs and better than most my personal favorite hands down is Koegles. Even when making a great Chicago Style I still choose them. And after 40 years of eating them they still taste exactly the same....Russ

Do you prefer the Skinless Franks, the Beef Skinless Franks or the Viennas?
    quickdog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 500
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2008/02/04 19:30:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ces1948

While looking through this forum the other day someone posted a link to a site called to www.offthebroiler.com . They had done an extensive taste test on I believe 30 some different brands of retail hot dogs. One of the highest rated was Nathan's natural casing beef dog and though I haven't tried or seen many of the ones on the list I did manage to find these dogs at the local Kroger. I grilled them per the instructions on the package and they were delicious. Had a nice little snap when you took a bite and an excellent flavor and not too salty. According to the review these are the type dogs served at Nathan's original stand. I certainly did like them.

Does anyone know of a store or outlet that sells them in Bay Area,CA? I would drive up to 2 hours to get my hands on those for my cart.
    Thanks
    Russ Jackson
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2008/02/05 16:28:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:

Do you prefer the Skinless Franks, the Beef Skinless Franks or the Viennas?

I always get the beef and pork Viennas. I am a natural casing advocate. And I always take pride in not busting the skin in the griddle process. I think the best way to cook Hot Dogs is in a large cast iron skillet at medium low with a tablespoon of lard and a tablespoon of butter. I also keep moving them back and forth in the skillet almost perpetual motion until they are done. This can be difficult as natural casing dogs have a curve to them and you have to lean them against the side of the skillet or another dog.

I am sure I will get flack but if given a chioce I would not trade 1 Koegel Vienna for an entire pack of Nathans. I know those are strong words. And I really like Nathans. And before any of you crack back on me you had better have tried a Koegels Natural Casing Vienna...Russ
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2008/02/05 23:21:19 (permalink)
    Russ,

How pronounced is the garlic, if any, in Koegel's?
    Russ Jackson
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2008/02/06 10:35:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by David_NYC

Russ,

How pronounced is the garlic, if any, in Koegel's?

I never noticed a profound garlic taste...Russ
    jmies
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2008/02/06 10:38:49 (permalink)
    Johnsonville makes a quite decent natural casing wiener that I can sometimes find in my local grocery.

http://www.johnsonville.com/home/products/smoked/natural-casing-wieners.html
    Lance Uppercut
    Junior Burger
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2008/02/06 22:36:36 (permalink)
    One of my local grocery stores used to carry those Johnsonville franks in the (bulk) deli case. Not a bad wiener but I must have been the only one buying them cuz they no longer offer them here.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2008/02/06 23:11:11 (permalink)
    I have been able to deal with the loss of a great hot dog since leaving NJ; Nathan's Natural Casing Hot Dogs fit the bill. They are very, very good. I would say though that Boar's Head is equally as good. Boar's Head makes both a natural casing all beef hot dog and a natural casing beef and pork hot dog as well (that's the one I really like best)

I put them in a cast iron pan with a bit of salad oil and slow cook them. Highly recommend French's new Horseradish Mustard with them.
    ShenB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2008/02/08 00:23:21 (permalink)
    quote:

Russ,
    Have you ever tried Koegles "Dinner Franks" heated on a cast iron skillet?
    Same great taste but a these guys really fill out the bun nicely with their 5/1 size

Bob

http://www.koegelmeats.com/products/db.cgi?dinner+franks
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6250
    RE: Nathan's natural casing beef dog 2008/02/08 18:16:30 (permalink)
    Hey Baah Ben...you're right Nathan's is at best an also ran in our neck of Hot Dog Heaven, New Jersey. Remember Thumann's and Schickhaus???Perhaps the BEST dogs on the planet and worth $5+ a pound--every penny!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1