Nathans Coney Island

Author
festivalfood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
2004/09/27 21:15:48 (permalink)

Nathans Coney Island

I had to pick up some equipment I bought in Sheepshead bay yesterday and thought I would take the little lady to The original Nathans on Coney Island.I have been there many times as a kid,but have not been back in over thirty years(I'm 40).The 3 hour ride from our house was worth it,even if I didn't have to pick up the equipment.The Hotdogs were great as I remembered,the salt air ,the incredible fries,the nostalgia,awesome!!!I wish we could have stayed longer,but we had a long trip back.I asked if they sold any shirts or hats,but the people at the counter said they didn't,I was surprised,there were a fair amount of tourists with out of state plates taking pictures.I would think with how famous it is, they would sell collectable items.The Kenny Rogers Roasters did look a little out of place in such a historic landmark.My Fiance' is a country girl,and has never been to Brooklyn before and Manhattan only a few times,when I do stand up comedy there(I will be performing at the NY Improv Sat OCT 19)and was surprised at how nice Coney Island was,and how all the people got along and there was no trouble like they portray on TV.All in all a great trip,just wish we could have stayed a little longer(could have had a few beers on the boardwalk if we did not have to drive home!!)

2 Replies Related Threads

Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Nathans Coney Island 2004/09/28 12:47:45 (permalink)
    You're right. Nathan's Coney Island ought to be a national landmark, as it is really the Last of the Mohegans. There was a Nathan's outlet on the way to the beach in Oceanside many years ago (40-plus) that was every bit as good and authentic in look, but it has changed considerably, although the dogs and fries are still greaty, last time I checked (10 years-plus). All the different windows and food choices ... It was wild and intoxicating for a young Roodfoodie. - Rusty
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: Nathans Coney Island 2004/09/29 20:59:20 (permalink)
    As in all 'quick food' places, the local outlet is only as good as the local management...ther local Nathan's in our mall food court is EXCELLENT..just had it tonight in fact...it is obvious to me that this one is a family operation...and it shows...its is VERY rare that it disappoints...the fries (which is the bellweather item at Nathan's to me..)are always JUST right- not too greasy or burnt..and never ever too raw,as is the case in a lot of the 'turnpike' stores they have...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1