Nathan's

Author
archinIL
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
2004/10/21 17:08:37 (permalink)

Nathan's

Hey... anyone know where I could find some Nathan's hot dogs with the natural casing near Rockford, IL (about an hour from the Chicago 'burbs)? I can find the skinless variety what seems like everywhere, but no luck with the natural casing variety. I'd like to find them locally, but willing to look around. I have been waiting patiently for the nathansfamous.com website to begin selling them, but that has not yet happened.

12 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18874
    RE: Nathan's 2004/10/21 17:57:33 (permalink)
    If you have any Giant Eagle supermarkets in your area, they carry both the skinless and the natural casing Nathan's.
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Nathan's 2004/10/21 22:00:32 (permalink)
    I believe Kroger's will as well. Don't remember if super Wal-mart does.

carl reitz
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4609
    RE: Nathan's 2004/10/21 23:00:30 (permalink)
    The very first Nathan's to ever open in Cincinnati - at least I think this is the case - is opening within walking distance of my office in a old cinema complex that is being converted to an Imax Entertainment facility.

Looking forward to trying one of their dogs at long last
    John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: Nathan's 2004/10/22 08:22:46 (permalink)
    TJ

There is great variation in the many Nathan's restaurants. I hope you get a quality dog where you are. I had 2 in my town. One closed and the other burned down. But when they were open, I rarely went. Both served the natural casing dog, but they were always undercooked. For awhile I wrote Nathan's off believing that only the original in Coney Island would be worth going to. About a year ago, I was at a rest area on the Jersey Turnpike and found myself inside a Nathan's. I had a dog, and it was excellent. Cooked properly, it is one of the best beef dogs you can get.

I was happy when one opened up down the street from where I work. I went there once and never returned. They served the skinless version, and instead of cooking it on a griddle, it was on one of those movie theatre style roller things. Very ordinary. You can get the same thing much cheaper at a 7-11. A real Nathan's dog has a natural casing, is cooked on a griddle, and for a sufficient period of time. I hope you experience the real deal.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4609
    RE: Nathan's 2004/10/22 11:21:21 (permalink)
    As do I.

Thanks John.
    archinIL
    Junior Burger
    RE: Nathan's 2004/10/22 12:12:51 (permalink)
    No Giant Eagles here. But, do have a super wal mart. I actually checked there this morning ,and they had none of the Nathan's varieties. A lot of "natural casing" types, but mostly brands I had never heard of. We also have "Hilander" stores, which are owned by Kroger. Those have had the skinless and the "bigger than the bun" skinless, but I haven't yet seen the natural casing versions. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

I find the skinless ones a tad ordinary. A couple area gas stations have the skinless ones available on those stupid roller things. I hate the rollers. I fear that if we ever got a Nathan's here, we'd get one that prepares the dogs using rollers. I don't see us getting a Nathan's, though, ever. Nathan's probably figures we have a "saturated hot dog market" living so close to chicago. Problem is, we don't have ANY hot dog places.. not even the "Chicago Hot Dog" type places prevelant near and in Chicago. We just within the last year got our first area Starbucks (city of 150,000 + another 100,000 surrounding), and have not yet lured Krispy Kreme. It's not like there is no demand.... just no one wants to come to Rockford, IL. We do drive over an hour to get our Krispy Kreme, but it would be nice to be able to get them on a whim.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3314
    RE: Nathan's 2004/10/22 13:01:14 (permalink)
    Arch,

During my travels to Blackhawk Farms Raceway in the past year, I've observed Vienna Beef Hot Dog signs posted at 2 eating establishments. One's a restaurant on HYW 20 west of Marengo and the other a drive-in restaurant on Division Street in Harvard. Sorry, didn't catch the names.

Good Luck

CSD
    archinIL
    Junior Burger
    RE: Nathan's 2004/10/22 16:55:20 (permalink)
    Marengo is about a 30 minute drive, and Harvard is about a 45 minute drive. Not far, but if I go that far, I might as well go the extra 30-40 minutes to go to a Gold Coast Dogs or even down to Chicago for a Superdawg. I prefer the Superdawg.

The local Sam's club makes Vienna beef dogs, so if I wanted one of those, I can get a fairly decent one there without driving far at all.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3314
    RE: Nathan's 2004/10/22 17:39:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by archinIL

Marengo is about a 30 minute drive, and Harvard is about a 45 minute drive. Not far, but if I go that far, I might as well go the extra 30-40 minutes to go to a Gold Coast Dogs or even down to Chicago for a Superdawg. I prefer the Superdawg.

The local Sam's club makes Vienna beef dogs, so if I wanted one of those, I can get a fairly decent one there without driving far at all.

Arch,

The Sam's Club in Rockford sells two pound/16 unit Vienna skinless hot dogs for $6.48 (.40/dog). They also sell S.Rosen poppy seed buns for $1.54 (.15/bun). Your cost is .55 for dog/bun. If their concession stand sells the larger Vienna dog or Polish with a large soft drink for $1.50, I wouldn't make the trip to Chicago. Most Sam's sell Best or Sinai 48 dogs at their concession stands.
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Nathan's 2004/10/22 18:18:29 (permalink)
    I bought the Nathans 10" hot dogs advertised on QVC. They are the same they claim as sold in Yankee Staduim. They are shipped frozen with dry ice to keep the shipping below $10. I do not like hot dogs that have been frozen. These are skinless and were ok. I would not buy them again. The flavor seemed stronger than I normally get from a Nathans frank. It may be the ones at yankee Stadium are steamed and I grilled these inside and outside. AT $32.77 for 5 lbs I will wait for my 10lb boxes of Hummel Brothers from New Haven.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Nathan's 2004/10/23 09:48:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

If you have any Giant Eagle supermarkets in your area, they carry both the skinless and the natural casing Nathan's.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Nathan's 2004/10/24 14:16:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Giant Eagles are only in the Pittsburgh PA and the surrounding tri state area- Western PA, Eastern Ohio and The West Virginia Panhandle
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1