Nathans

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ohman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 262
2004/07/18 18:59:40 (permalink)

Nathans

We just got a Nathans at a new movie theater here in Millbury,MA. I was not impressed. The dog is good sized but I make much better chili. My wife and I got 3 chili cheese dogs and a chili cheese fry and it came to 19.95.....Way over priced for very average food.

38 Replies Related Threads

angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/19 11:05:16 (permalink)
    I've found that the Nathan's franchises (?) never compare to the original on Coney Island.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/19 12:24:47 (permalink)
    I must say I find the very thought of putting any sort of chili on a Nathan's hot dog absolutely unthinkable. Mustard, relish, sauerkraut, onions, or any combination of these condiments -- yes. Chili? An absolute no-no.
    albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/19 12:34:03 (permalink)
    The franchises use a different hot dog than the Coney Island original. IMO, the original is vastly overrated also.

Charlie
    ohman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 262
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/19 15:04:58 (permalink)
    I have heard so many good things about them so it was a real let down. As far as the chili goes I dont put chili on a white hot or any sausage but ALL dog get it.....Believe me that Nathans dog needed it!
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/19 15:05:41 (permalink)
    What about the Nathans that are now sold in grocery stores. Do they taste like the hot dogs at the Nathans on Coney Island?
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/19 15:17:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by emsmom

What about the Nathans that are now sold in grocery stores. Do they taste like the hot dogs at the Nathans on Coney Island?

Good question. I just started seeing them in the last couple months in our stores and have yet to purchase any. This is a big step for my area. For the longest we just had Bryan's, Oscar Meyer, Ball Park, Lykes and the "store" brand, either in all beef, or parts. Just pitiful. We're movin' up though!
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/19 16:02:53 (permalink)
    IMHO - Nathan's in the store pkg. is not as tasty as the original at the boardwalk - maybe it was the atmosphere, but I didn't care for the pkg. version. I would get the Hebrew national pkg instead of Nathans at the grocery, but I prefer my 1/4 lb. Angus hot dogs I get from my local butcher shop.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/19 16:47:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by albinoni

The franchises use a different hot dog than the Coney Island original. IMO, the original is vastly overrated also.

Charlie

The one in our local mall is EXCELLENT..SAME exact dogs and fries..I know the Nathans on the turnpikes are pretty mediocre..but thats the Reisce organization for you. For those who dont know, the Riesce Organization is a comapny that specializes in franchising food court versions of major brands-mainly on various turnpikes,thruways,etc...and also has several 'free standing' food courts in NYC...the Nathan's there are HORRIBLE...The Nathan's in MALLS are much better-one suspects the home office has more direct control over them...as with anything,its the commitment of the local franchisee that makes all the difference...I always used to joke ....but perhaps I am serious in that the CI Nathan's has the salty air there for an advantage...plus..the extra helping of steel dust from the HUGE subway terminal that is right across the street..[:P]Plus..what do expect from any food IN A MOVIE THEATRE??
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/19 19:15:55 (permalink)
    I've had some experience eating at Nathan's and buying their franks at the store. First off, the frank used at the original Nathan's in Coney Island and some of the better franchises is an 8 to a lb dog with natural casing. These dogs are hard to find, but they are available in certain locations. Some A&P's in Jersey have them along with many Pathmarks. If you come across this one (natural casing) buy it and cook the dog on a griddle at home slowly on low heat (160-200). This is truly a great dog.

The skinless ones in the supermarkets aren't as good. As far as Nathan's restaurants go, most are mediocre. Many use the skinless version and cook them on those roller grills, rather than on a griddle. I actually had 2 Nathan's in my town that used the proper natural casing dog and cooked them on a griddle. But they were still not that good because they were undercooked. They just throw them on the griddle and roll them around for awhile. Both are now gone. I did find a Nathan's somewhere on the Turnpike (I forget which exit) but they used the natural casing dog and cooked them perfectly on a griddle. One of the best all beef dogs I've had.
    daveritzdog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/19 21:40:10 (permalink)

I was at the original Nathan's on Coney Island last week, and there is no way these frankfurters on buns are overrated! They still are the real thing with the original good time vibes and taste!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/19 22:25:47 (permalink)
    There are two versions of the Nathan's franks in supermarkets here in Ohio (at least, in the Giant Eagle stores). One is a skinless version, which is not bad, and the other is a natural casing version, which I consider much better.
    Joe Food
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/19 22:39:43 (permalink)
    Though I've never eaten at the original Nathan's in Coney Island, I have to say their dogs are pretty good at an airport when the alternative is a booiled burger or stale nachos with orange goo.

In addition to the Nathan's at airports, the free standing ones are pretty good as well.

Joe Food
    hawkeyejohn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/20 09:27:47 (permalink)
    Nathan's are a poor imitation of a hot dog. Check out any of the many places serving Vienna Beef hot dogs, Chicago style.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/20 09:52:08 (permalink)
    I dont think that the Nathans packaged dogs are the same as the original. The packaged ones have all sorts of crap in them. Wheat starch and other fillers.

The ones in Coney Island are unadulterated.

bxfinest
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/21 00:32:58 (permalink)
    You guys must be crazy if yall think Nathan's is overrated. There's very little differnce between the original on CI or the franchises in NYC and the Jersey turnpike, or the packaged versions in your local supermarket. Skin or no skin the flavor of a Nathan's Frank is always there. And to the guy who called Nathan's a poor imitation of a hot dog your taste buds must not have matured enough to appreciate a Nathan's Frank. You can keep that Chicago BS that you have to load up with mustard, ketchup, onions, lettuce and tomatoes just to give it taste. With Nathan's (much like NY Pizza)you need no toppings at all and it's taste outstanding. That's NY Style...
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3308
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/21 02:34:34 (permalink)
    Hot dogs are a food that evoke emotional responses. They bring back memories and the taste of our youth. Award winning author and illustrator, Daniel Pinkwater, a native Chicagoan who relocated to New York, sums up hot dogs like this:

"With rue my heart is laden,
    For golden fries I had,
    For many a Polish sausage,
    When I was a Chicago lad."

"Whenever I eat one, thirty-five to forty years roll back. A flood of clear and distinct memories that have been locked away, suddenly become immediate and accessible. The days of my childhood and adolescence, those critical moments which set the course for the rest of my life, are all linking up like.......Vienna sausages."

We all have our favorite hot dog and place to enjoy it. No one has the right to tell us otherwise. I sell Vienna Polish sausages and I always look forward to tasting different brands where ever I go.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/21 08:02:57 (permalink)
    If the packaged versions, the ones on CI and all the franchises are one and the same dog, then I would have to say that Nathans are a crap dog to begin with. Read the ingredient list sometime on the packaged ones in the markets. I dont think they are the same as the ones in the original. Could be wrong of course.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/21 09:32:16 (permalink)
    quote:

We all have our favorite hot dog and place to enjoy it. No one has the right to tell us otherwise. I sell Vienna Polish sausages and I always look forward to tasting different brands where ever I go.

Maybe that is why it has been impossible for someone to establish a truly NATIONAL hot dog chain..Thank God!!!

CILou-who agrees with the bx guy who wonders why Chicago dogs [esp the vienna brand] can be so great if you have load so much stuff on them???
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/21 10:26:32 (permalink)
    I know this thread is speaking to hot dogs, but; when I am at a Nathans outlet, as in an airport or a mall, I skip the dogs and go for the fries. Usually they are outstanding.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/21 10:56:12 (permalink)
    CILou & bxfinest, when two young immigrants brought their frankfurter recipe from Austria-Hungary to the Chicago World's Fair in 1893, they didn't realize they were starting an empire known as the Vienna Sausage MFG Company. This new fangled hot dog sandwich quickly became Chicago's favorite treat-the original Chicago hot dog. They were lightly dressed with only mustard and onions. As a baby boomer, growing up in Chicago, mustard was the only condiment I ate on a hot dog. I didn't eat onions. Vendors on Maxwell street began adding condiments to the "Depression Sandwich" which eventually created the "Chicago style dog." To eat a Vienna beef hot dog Chicago style, the following condiments are piled on in this order:

1. yellow mustard
    2. neon green relish
    3. fresh chopped onion
    4. two tomato wedges
    5. kosher pickle slices
    6. two sport peppers
    7. a dash of celery salt

To dress a Vienna Maxwell Street Polish, the following condiments are piled on in this order:

1. yellow or Dusseldorf mustard
    2. grilled onions
    3. two sport peppers(optional)

Ketchup and lettuce should never be applied to a Vienna Beef hot dog or Polish according to unwritten Chicago hot dog law.

I eat hot dogs with mustard, onions, and relish. I'll eat a pickle on the side. Most of the time just mustard will do, like when I was a kid. I eat Polish char grilled with Merkt's cheddar cheese and well done grilled onions. And they always taste better at a hot dog stand or a cart.

It's not necessary to load a Vienna Beef hot dog or Polish with condiments to enjoy their goodness from the 100% domestic beef and and sweet brisket trimmings that are hickory smoked without a single unnatural additive. They're consistently delicious and snap when you take a bite. My only regret is that they're unavailable in your area.
    bxfinest
    Hamburger
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/21 15:01:18 (permalink)
    To Chicagostyledogs:

It may be true that to young immigrants brought the Frankfurter recipe to the Chicago fair in 1893, but according to my research German immigrants had been selling "Hot Dogs" along with milk rolls and sauerkraut, from pushcarts in NYC's Bowery since the 1860's and by 1871 Charles Feltman had open the first Coney Island Hot Dog stand. They were originally called "Red Hots" til 1901 when Tad Dorgan a NY sports cartoonist coined the the term "Hot Dog" cause he did not know how to spell "Dachshund sausages"

Here's a clip of the article:

http://www.theholidayspot.com/hotdog/history.htm#

The standard toppings in NYC varies depending on the type of dog your into and what borough your from. If I have a Nathan's frank I top it with mustard and sauerkraut. But if I have a Papaya King or a Sabretts from the pushcarts then I topped it with the pushcart sauteed onions and sauerkraut. NEVER KETCHUP!!! A NY Frank is worst than potato chips cause you can never stop at one or two.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/21 19:25:29 (permalink)
    Chicagoans are greatful that the Columbian Exposition in 1893 brought immigrants to the Chicago World's Fair. That's how the Vienna Sausage MFG Company, now known as the Vienna Beef Company started. In fact, the Vienna Beef Polish sausage sandwich is the true "Chicago Original." It was born right at the turn of the century on Maxwell Street, the famous open air market community that was then just west of downtown Chicago. The marketplace was filled with people selling their wares from a wonderful assortment of stands, tables, carts, and hole-in-the-wall shops. The smell of food was everywhere, but the most unforgettable aroma of all was that of onions and Vienna Beef Polish Sausages sizzling on the pushcarts. This neighborhood was the home of my eastern European grandparents and my parents. It was a great area and a wonderful time to be a kid. The grilled onion smell at Maxwell and Halsted is still there after all these years.
    bxfinest
    Hamburger
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/22 04:56:22 (permalink)
    Chitownstyledog:

You have some fond memories growing up in Chicago. Amazing!!! My profound memories were when me and my mom would jump on the train from the Bronx to Manhattan(in the 70's) and when getting off the subway on 34th street or Borough Hall in Brooklyn, all kinds of food aromas from Hot Dogs, Polish and Italian Sausages, Pretzels, roasted peanuts and Kubabs was in the air. At first I was pretzel fanatic, but ones I tasted my first Sabrett frank(alot of us still call em franks in NYC) from the pushcarts that was a wrap for me. I've been a hot dog fanatic ever since.

What's crazy about our cities is it seems that the historical dispute between Frankfurt-Am-Main, Germany and Vienna, Austria on where the Sausage(known as HotDogs today) was originated eventually contributed to the already existing rivalry between NYC and Chicago. Where NY took on the tradition of "Dachshund Sausages" created by Johann Georgheher who introduced Frankfurt-Am-Main, Germany to the idea, while Chicago took on the Vienna(Wein), Austria tradition where the term "Weiner" was coined. Both cities have a rich history on this. Much like Maxwell St. in Chicago, Brooklyn also had an open air market district I beleive somewhere near Fulton St. where Italian, Irish, Jewish, German along with the existing Dutch settlers ran open vendors selling all kinds of goods from various types of sausages and meat products, fruits and garmets brought back from their country. Much like the Bronx where Jewish and Polish settlers were more dominate in the early 1900s. I guess very much like Chitown alot of these vendors, garmet tables and Butchers eventually disapeared once the major supermarkets and dept stores started to took over later in the century.
    daveritzdog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/22 20:04:53 (permalink)
    As a food history buff, I know the names of Nathan Handwerker and Charles Feltman, but can anyone tell me the name or names of the Chicago family or families who started Vienna Beef? I know that they were from Austia and were of a Jewish backround. One thing that New York and Chicago share is that both our cities frankfurters or hotdogs were made from beef because of Jewish immigrants and their dietary laws. Obviously, in other parts of the country, hot dogs usually contained pork and they contained fillers and such! Even in my hometown of New Britain, Connecticut, the hot dogs are still made with pork, as that was and still is the tradition! Also, if I might ask, is the family that started Vienna beef still the owners of the company or still in Chicagoland? Also, are there still members of the Handwerker and Feltman families in NYC?
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/22 20:43:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by daveritzdog

As a food history buff, I know the names of Nathan Handwerker and Charles Feltman, but can anyone tell me the name or names of the Chicago family or families who started Vienna Beef? I know that they were from Austia and were of a Jewish backround. One thing that New York and Chicago share is that both our cities frankfurters or hotdogs were made from beef because of Jewish immigrants and their dietary laws. Obviously, in other parts of the country, hot dogs usually contained pork and they contained fillers and such! Even in my hometown of New Britain, Connecticut, the hot dogs are still made with pork, as that was and still is the tradition! Also, if I might ask, is the family that started Vienna beef still the owners of the company or still in Chicagoland? Also, are there still members of the Handwerker and Feltman families in NYC?

AFAIK..Nathan's is still in the hands of Handwerker family members...
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/22 21:39:13 (permalink)
    Daveritzdog, Vienna Beef was started in 1893 by Samuel Ladany and Emil Reichl. These two immigrants from Austria-Hungry started selling hot dogs from a cart during the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago. This business went on to become the Vienna Sausage Manufacturing Company. They bought a store front at 1213 S. Halsted Street following their success selling sausages at the 1893 Columbian Exposition. With their talents from the old country, they made sausages in the rear of the shop and sold them in the retail store in the front. By 1907, they moved next door to 1215-1217 South Halsted and remained in the neighborhood until 1972 when the company moved their plant to it's current location on north Damen Avenue in Chicago.
    Vienna Beef is co-owned by James Eisenberg and Jim Bodman.
    Luvstoeat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/22 21:58:45 (permalink)
    Chicagostyle.....some of my earliest memories (and best) are of being dragged as a kid to the Vienna factory/retail store on Halsted. We would buy all the hot dogs and salami we could carry and walk around "Maxwell Street" munching on salami sticks. I'm sure when we picked up my bar-mitzvah suit from a few doors down from Vienna, it was endowed with Eau du Salami......
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/22 22:15:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Luvstoeat

Chicagostyle.....some of my earliest memories (and best) are of being dragged as a kid to the Vienna factory/retail store on Halsted. We would buy all the hot dogs and salami we could carry and walk around "Maxwell Street" munching on salami sticks. I'm sure when we picked up my bar-mitzvah suit from a few doors down from Vienna, it was endowed with Eau du Salami......

Luvstoeat......I remember those salami sticks too. Greasy little suckers! I tried to persuade my parents to buy my bar-mitzva suit at Smokey Joe's. They bought it at Meyerson's in Jeffro Plaza (Jefferson & Roosevelt) instead.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Nathans 2004/07/23 00:10:21 (permalink)
    well maybe we're just deprived around here, but I think Nathan's supermarket dogs are about the finest supermarket dogs anywhere.... don't even need to put anything on em they're so good.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1