National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ/D.C. Area

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 660
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ 2011/04/25 10:57:14 (permalink)
Excellent report and fantastic pictures!

The link below has menu pics of Ray's the Classics, which is likely very similar to Ray's the Steaks.  Always average service at Ray's the Classics, but great food at a good price.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/7/105329/restaurant/DC/Rays-the-Classics-Silver-Spring
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ 2011/04/25 11:18:41 (permalink)
joerogo

***UPDATE***

We got takeout from Chubby's on Thursday, thanks to my daughter coming home for Easter.

Packed perfect for the 2 1/2 hour ride north, we ordered ribs, chicken, brisket and pulled pork.  Tom's staff packed everything cold so we could reheat it at home without the Q drying out.  Great idea, everything was moist and extremely good.

Tom, Q just doesn't get any better than this!

Oh, one complaint.  Could you put some greens in the greens?  Just look at the amount of pork in them

Thanks Joe, very much, I wish I had known she was here, I would have given her some Pork Belly and Pit Beef for the Rogo clan to sample!
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4531
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ 2011/06/04 11:16:59 (permalink)
We blew by Chubby's on Thursday at 9:30 AM, on our way to Arlington/DC  Hey Tom, I waved, but I don't think you saw me  Hopefully I can catch up with you on the return trip.

Thursday nights dinner was at The Columbia Firehouse in Alexandria.  A much hyped place that fell short of my expectations.  Salty food ala Friday's, slooooow service, and a little pricey.  The menu didn't seem to be pricey, but based on portion size it was.

Last night we went to Pete's New Haven Style Apizza on Clarendon.  I wasn't really expecting much from this place.  Afterall, they are baking at only 650 degrees in a gas oven......and their clams are from the Chesapeake.

As close as you are going to get a Apizza outside of New Haven.  The crust was a little thick, but excellent.  You can pick up a slice and not lose a thing.  We had a pepperoni and a clam pie.  Both were excellent, I highly recommend Pete's.

The clam pie was the home run.  Fresh clams with the salty, briney, sweet flavor of the ocean.

post edited by joerogo - 2011/06/04 15:54:40
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8364
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ 2011/06/04 12:30:48 (permalink)
Oh my lord, Joe, that pizza looks fantastic.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ 2011/06/04 13:08:42 (permalink)
Joe---you dun did it again---another home run. 
You may become the Ansel  Adams of the food business if
you keep it up.
Pete is gonna be happy with all the extra business you gonna bring
in ---hit him up for a piece of the action. 

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6271
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ 2011/06/04 15:47:24 (permalink)
Those pizzas look like the real thing!!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3727
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ 2011/06/04 16:31:23 (permalink)
Nice report.  We have been to three of the places that you mentioned!  Of  course, we have been to  Chubby's   and we have gone quite often to  Filomeno's  in Georgetown.  The kids loved watching the lady in the  window  making gnocchi each time. 

We have gone to Pete's a couple of times   but go to the one  in Columbia Heights as that is the closest one to us.....crust is a little thick for me  but  it  is  cooked  beautifully  and  a most  excellent  pizza.
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 522
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ 2011/06/04 18:48:23 (permalink)
joerogo

We blew by Chubby's on Thursday at 9:30 AM, on our way to Arlington/DC  Hey Tom, I waved, but I don't think you saw me  Hopefully I can catch up with you on the return trip.

Thursday nights dinner was at The Columbia Firehouse in Alexandria.  A much hyped place that fell short of my expectations.  Salty food ala Friday's, slooooow service, and a little pricey.  The menu didn't seem to be pricey, but based on portion size it was.

Last night we went to Pete's New Haven Style Apizza on Clarendon.  I wasn't really expecting much from this place.  Afterall, they are baking at only 650 degrees in a gas oven......and their clams are from the Chesapeake.

As close as you are going to get a Apizza outside of New Haven.  The crust was a little thick, but excellent.  You can pick up a slice and not lose a thing.  We had a pepperoni and a clam pie.  Both were excellent, I highly recommend Pete's.

The clam pie was the home run.  Fresh clams with the salty, briney, sweet flavor of the ocean.

WOW!!!!!

DT
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ 2011/06/05 22:54:13 (permalink)
So, I go to Filomena Ristorante again.  We are seated and I ask the manager if he knows Tony Bad.  He says "Who?"  I said, "Tony Bad, from Lond Island".  He says "Oh, Don Antonio!  We miss him very much.  He left to take care of some business in New York and never returned."

So I ask, what would a man like Tony order for dinner?  He tells me....
COSTOLETTA DI VITELLO ALLA PARMIGIANA  A 20 ounce Veal Chop, thinly pounded, crisply breaded and pan fried. Topped with Tomato Sauce, melted fresh Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese. Served with Rigatoni Pasta with Tomato Sauce on the side. 

Holy Moly!  A meal fit for a King(pin).  Every bit as good as it looks.  This is the way all veal parm should be prepared.

And as I was leaving, the manager said "because you are a friend of The Don, if by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies."

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6393
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ 2011/06/07 15:55:09 (permalink)
Joe

What an amazing report.  The food, the sights (pasta momma), it all looked good.

I may use your guidance in August, I am coming to D.C./Arlington for a funeral at Arlington.  (I did not realize there was a 2 1/2 to 3 month wait for burial at Arlington)

Your report has my mouth watering and thank goodness it is not Lent.
(that BBQ looked worth the extra "Hail Mary's")
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ 2011/06/07 17:28:54 (permalink)
I live here, and I'm getting out-done by JoeRogo. I gotta get out more - damn 2 1/2 year old keeping us home on weekend nights!

Great report Joe.

So few good pizzas here in DC. A handful, but not a lot. I'm loving We The Pizza -who also makes a great meatball sandwich. Maybe the best meatball in DC. wethepizza.com

But, New Haven pizza in DC? Well, that I have to try.

I have to disagree on Banana Cafe, though. I've had several meals I thought were spot on. 

Next time, though, you're on Barrack's Row (8th St. SE - near Eastern Market) try Ted's Bulletin. An art deco family dinner, upscaled but not pretentious in the least. So far, the big winners are their Chicken Fried Steak, Sloppy Joe, and Burgers. Catch of the Day is quite good, too. Wasn't in love with MEatloaf - although I ate it all, and ribs are ok, the Savannah Mustard Sauce is better than the KC Red. The sides - holy moly! JDs Gravy Fries (love their gravy), pickled Beets (they do it there - not pre-bought), and mashed potatoes. Mac and Cheese is the way homemade should taste, and braised green beans w/ bacon is like mom made...only not as soggy as mom's (sorry Mom) But the winner on the sides is their Bacon and Blue Cheese Brussel Sprout. Holy shmoly. I don't even care much for brussel sprouts...until now. Wow.

Their milkshakes are hands down, best in DC.  And they have a short but nice children's menu. Plus some bakery items like pop-tarts, twinkies, ho-hos and such that look a bit like the originals, but are pastry chef inspired both in taste and appearance.

Here's their site: tedsbulletin.com
Same owner as Matchbox and the new hotdog joint, DC-3.

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4095
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ 2011/06/12 10:49:57 (permalink)
Thanks for a great report.  As a result I'm adding two things to my "list" for the next time we visit our old hometown:  that veal chop at Filomena's and paying Respect to Audie Murphy.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ 2011/06/12 21:39:52 (permalink)
CajunKing, you're the best.  I would have said the extra Hail Mary's and ate the Q, but the wife has more willpower........and a strong right hook!

God Bless your fallen hero. 

Scorereader, Thanks for the info on Ted's.  Let me know if you like Pete's Apizza.

MetroplexJim, Don't forget Five Guy's!

Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 522
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ/D.C. Area 2011/07/26 13:20:36 (permalink)
I finally got to Emmitsburg and met up with Tom. We had a nice 45 minute (or so) chat on pretty much all things food related and of course had a great dinner.

We were very happy with just about everything but the standouts were the brisket, pork belly and beans.

I posted a longer review with some more history on my blog here.
http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...d-food-aint-cheap.html

If you're in the area, give Tom a visit and introduce yourself. He's a great guy.

DT
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ/D.C. Area 2011/08/04 13:30:54 (permalink)
Thanks for this report.  You have convinced me to brave Northern VA traffic to try New Haven Pizza (since it is likely the closest I will get a chance to try any time soon)
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ/D.C. Area 2011/08/04 14:28:33 (permalink)
Davwud, Nice pics and report.  One thing for sure, Tom Can Q!

NascarDad, Timing is everything, good luck.  If it helps, the train station is right there.  

I thought the pizza was very good, but their ordering system is a little wacky.  You stand in line to place your order, pick up your drinks at another station, then find a table.  Which can be difficult when they are busy.  If you want a refill on your drink, go back and stand in the drink line  

joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ/D.C. Area 2011/10/22 16:51:15 (permalink)
Another excellent pizza place, this time in Falls Church.  Pizzeria Orso does a great job, but I don't agree with their pizza description(Traditional Neapolitan Pizza).  This is most definitely closer Roman Style Pizza.  Nice thin crispy crust with fresh toppings.

Excellent sandwiches also, served in a light crusty pizza bread.  
post edited by joerogo - 2011/10/22 16:53:39
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ/D.C. Area 2012/06/29 16:31:56 (permalink)
I stopped by Chubby's today.  Tom was home getting some beauty rest.

The pulled pork was fabulous!  Very moist, it just melted in your mouth.

103 degrees!!!!!  You DC'ers are crazy.  Can't wait to get back to the cool mountains of NEPA
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ/D.C. Area 2012/06/29 16:52:34 (permalink)
joerogo

I stopped by Chubby's today.  Tom was home getting some beauty rest.

The pulled pork was fabulous!  Very moist, it just melted in your mouth.

103 degrees!!!!!  You DC'ers are crazy.  Can't wait to get back to the cool mountains of NEPA

Joe, sorry I missed you, next time call ahead, the beauty rest can wait, it does me no good anymore!

pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2397
Re:National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C./Chubby's BBQ/D.C. Area 2012/07/07 20:32:52 (permalink)
Joe, if Tom is home getting his beauty rest, he will have to sleep for years. Joe, great report, great pictures, thanks for showing us some good roadfood................ 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1