Native American Food

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
varelas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
2004/08/19 14:37:51 (permalink)

Native American Food

Does any one know of any Native American restaurants in the Phoenix, Aziona area? How about on a reservation??

40 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18891
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/19 14:43:18 (permalink)
    You mean a Native American reservation or an Indian reservation?
    varelas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/19 14:44:58 (permalink)
    Please tell me the difference.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/19 14:59:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by varelas

Well, as a native American I don't know of any reservations for native Americans. I am, however, familiar with reservations for American Indians.
    varelas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/19 15:18:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info, I find it hard sometimes to be politically correct. Sorry if I have offended you. I was just looking for a place for fried bread
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4128
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/19 15:30:08 (permalink)
    There used to be a few places in Old Scottsdale that sold the Indian Fry Bread, with either chile or honey. Not sure if they are still there though.
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/19 15:38:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the commentary, Michael. And for an answer that might actually be somewhat helpful...

The Navajo and other tribes all have at least a few restaurants on their reservations, but it's my experience that they're pretty much interchangeable with any other small restaurants in the area. Navajo cuisine is basically the same as New Mexican cuisine, with the addition of frybread, and especially once you get out into the small towns on and around the reservations, the streets will be paved with frybread! (One thing you'll also see a lot of, especially at roadside places, is the Navajo taco, which is taco fillings piled on top of fry bread. I have yet to meet a Navajo taco I haven't liked.) You might occasionally also see cabrito or venison on the menu at some places, but really, the frybread will be the only main difference, and almost all of them will have it.
    shanklemsw
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/19 15:50:01 (permalink)
    There's a place on the Navajo reservation in Tuba City that used to serve fry bread tacos. I found out about it from Roadfood and went there a bunch when I lived in AZ. It's quite a drive from Phoenix though. There's also a fry bread taco stand on the Apache rez on
    hwy 260 between pinetop And Mcnary, also quite a drive from Phoenix.

So Michael, are we back to using the word Indian? Last discussion I had with my Hopi friend he said Indians live in India. I am always PC. Please advise!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/19 15:50:33 (permalink)
    quote:

Thanks for the info, I find it hard sometimes to be politically correct. Sorry if I have offended you. I was just looking for a place for fried brean

You didn't offend me. Everyone born in the United States is a native American.
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/19 15:53:39 (permalink)
    My .02... You might also try any area powwows and such where there are usually NA food vendors selling fry bread, tacos, etc..

As an aside... I had a NA friend in New Mexico that would send me a great bread that could be bought there from roadside vendors. They were beautiful round loaves, with what I think was a strong baking soda tang. Made excellent toast.

Unfortunately this good friend passed away 2 years ago, and a trip to New Mexico (which I love) is not the same.
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/19 16:00:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Shoud I have reservations about asking for reservations on a reservation?
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/19 16:24:51 (permalink)
    I think that's why Varelas asked us. I mean, you can't very well expect useful info about this topic out of Googling "restaurant" and "reservation," can you?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/19 17:43:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

quote:

Shoud I have reservations about asking for reservations an a reservation?

Absolutely! If you want to make reservations at reservations you need to have enough cash in reserve to get to the reservation where you've made reservations, otherwise your reaservations at the reservation won't be reserved.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/20 04:00:49 (permalink)
    quote:

Thanks for the info, I find it hard sometimes to be politically correct. Sorry if I have offended you. I was just looking for a place for fried bread

In and around Tucson, they sell it by the side of the roads. I'm pretty sure I recall seeing that on West Valencia near the Wal-Mart Supercenter.

One place I know it's pretty much always available is at the Mission San Xavier del Bac (claimed to be the best example of Spanish colonial architecture in the US) which is on the Tohono O'Odham Reservation--just across the plaza from the mission itself there's a little pueblo where Native American arts and crafts--and foods--are sold.

Last time I was at the semi-ruined (but still used) mission at Tumacacori (off I-19) there was also a stand selling it.
    queenb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/25 03:45:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:

One place I know it's pretty much always available is at the Mission San Xavier del Bac (claimed to be the best example of Spanish colonial architecture in the US) which is on the Tohono O'Odham Reservation--just across the plaza from the mission itself there's a little pueblo where Native American arts and crafts--and foods--are sold.

I went to that place a couple of years ago, and while the little stands were nothing fancy, the pople were all very interesting, and it was pretty neat to sit and eat with a view of the mission!I will say that the Green Corn Tamale I tried there was outstanding- I also tried the frybread with a spicy beef stew on top, but I forget what it was called. Tasty! I also found some reasonably priced jewelry for gifts here, much cheaper than what was in town.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/25 11:41:12 (permalink)
    When my daughter was in college at Western Carolina in Cullowhee, NC, eevery Fall they would have Mountain Heritage Days and people would have food booths set up. Cherokee is only about 10-15 miles away and the people would sell Indain fry bread and other foods. But the best thing I remember is we would go over to Cherokee and buy parched corn.
    That was always so good. I sure do wish someone could tell me how to prepare that. It really makes a good snack.
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/25 11:48:42 (permalink)
    http://www.melborponsti.com/mel-old00023.shtml

A recipe I found for "Old Fashioned Parched Corn"
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/25 15:23:22 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Well, as a native American I don't know of any reservations for native Americans. I am, however, familiar with reservations for American Indians.

Two can play this game ---actually the only American Indians i know are the young children of the folks sown the road that have the hotel around here---there are plenty of Cherokee,Creek,Seminole,Choctaw and Chickasaw---but they have "Nations"--their only reservations are about being called "indians"---Now further west the Hopi and Navaho have reservations--the Hopis have reservations about the Navaho and the Navaho have reservations about using "Navaho" instead of "Dinai".[
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/25 20:19:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

quote:

quote:

Two can play this game ---actually the only American Indians i know are the young children of the folks sown the road that have the hotel around here---there are plenty of Cherokee,Creek,Seminole,Choctaw and Chickasaw---but they have "Nations"--their only reservations are about being called "indians"---Now further west the Hopi and Navaho have reservations--the Hopis have reservations about the Navaho and the Navaho have reservations about using "Navaho" instead of "Dinai".[

Personally, I'd be less bored if you all would just help the man find some fry bread no matter what you chose to call the people who made it.

marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/25 20:37:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:

quote:

quote:

Personally, I'd be less bored if you all would just help the man find some fry bread no matter what you chose to call the people who made it.

Spoken like a true native American ... how about the Fry Bread House in downtown Pheonix? Never been there, but the review makes me want to book a ticket now ....

http://www.digitalcity.com/phoenix/dining/venue.adp?sbid=125614

markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/25 21:29:54 (permalink)
    There is a place in Cavecreek that is a combo restaurant and collectables store. The restaurant is in the back and has great fry bread with very spicy chili.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Native American Food 2004/08/25 22:27:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:

quote:

quote:

easy now---just a little harmless word play.---all the places i know of are a long way from Pheonix.
    dkp
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Native American Food 2004/09/07 21:50:29 (permalink)
    I'm going to throw in my nickles worth even though it might be an old subject. Yes, there are Nations and Reservations, but there are in New Mexico Pueblo Indians. They too make fry bread and Indian Tacos. The closest to Albuquerque is the Jemez (Hamez) Pueblo where they have a beautiful park just north of the Pueblo where every weekend, weather permitting they have permanent booths that have both items for sale. Fantasticly good, and the scenery will knock your socks off. Incidentally, the "a" in the phonetic spelling is pronounced like the first letter of the alphabet, not Hahmez. Language lesson over for now.
    Rex Allen
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Native American Food 2004/09/08 09:24:20 (permalink)
    I just love the word play we get into every so often on this site, keeps every thing light and airey. Rex in hot, (70F. at 6AM,) expensive San Diego.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Native American Food 2004/09/08 09:24:52 (permalink)
    "Frybread". Is that all there is to the cuisine of the people who populated this continent before the arrival of Europeans, Africans, and Asians?

Cheers, John
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Native American Food 2004/09/08 10:53:17 (permalink)
    The native Americans also were first to make maple sugar, pemmican and a great way with fresh Meat\fish roasting with herbs,roots.

tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Native American Food 2004/09/08 12:05:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by shanklemsw

There's a place on the Navajo reservation in Tuba City that used to serve fry bread tacos. I found out about it from Roadfood and went there a bunch when I lived in AZ. It's quite a drive from Phoenix though. There's also a fry bread taco stand on the Apache rez on
    hwy 260 between pinetop And Mcnary, also quite a drive from Phoenix.

The Tuba City Truck Stop Cafe serves a good Navajo taco. We were through there 4 years ago and the experience was consistent with my first visit in 1986. One caution: do not order the vegetarian taco. My travelling companion did and it was a can of cold beans on dressed fry bread. It was inedible.

Don't worry about finding it. Just head down HWY 160 and take the exist for Tuba City. It will be off the main road on your right.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10358
    RE: Native American Food 2008/09/14 13:57:01 (permalink)
    This place has the best Frybread I've ever eaten!
    They have had excellent reviews in the paper. Located in Mesa on Main St between Stapely & Gilbert Rd. Thanks for reminding me, Think I'll go get some today!

AZ Native Frybread
    www.aznativefrybread.com
    1437 E. Main St. Mesa, Arizona 85203
    Hours of Operation:
    Monday - Saturday 9:30 AM - 8:00 PM
    Sunday 10:30 AM - 6:00 PM

How's that for getting back on topic???
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10358
    RE: Native American Food 2012/03/14 01:54:21 (permalink)
    THANX Bruce & Susan for letting us know about The Fry Bread House being honored this year as an American Classic by the James Beard Foundation.
    Cecilia Miller's temple of fried dough is about as authentic as it gets around here. She's from the Tohono O'odham Nation and has been serving up her style of Indian Tacos around the area for nearly twenty years! They don't have a web site but everyone else has written up so much about this simple place
    that she doesn't need one! Simply good food served in a simple manner in a simple restaurant. It's just good!
    I'm changing my "Best Of" rating from my post above to The Fry Bread House. When I posted that one, I had not yet had Fry Bread from The Fry Bread House. So, while AZ Native Fry Bread is good, Fry Bread House is numerous notches above it!
    Here's the announcement made today:
    The 2012 James Beard Foundation Awards America’s Classics award honorees are:
    The Fry Bread House (4140 N. 7
    No trip to Phoenix is complete without a visit to the Fry Bread House, a trim paneled room on a modest, sun-baked residential street, founded in 1992. The sign outside says “Native American Food.” At the counter inside, you can order
    exhilarating, complex red and green chile stews that are a primal blast of the Southwest.
    Owner Cecelia Miller comes from the Sonoran desert Tohono O’odham Nation, and her all-native staff is drawn from assorted Arizona tribes. Their blissfully delicious specialty is hand-stretched fry bread—downy bronze cushions the size of
    dinner plates, in both savory and sweet versions.
    On the savory side: Indian tacos, layered with refried beans and beefy red chili, green chili, or chorizo, garnished with crisp chopped iceberg, shredded cheese, and tart red salsa. For dessert: fry bread baptized with butter and local honey or
    homemade chocolate.
    The faithful clientele is wonderfully democratic, from Tohono O’odham friends of the house to hipsters and businessmen and the ever-present lucky traveler.
    th Avenue, Phoenix, Owner: Cecelia Miller)

post edited by Foodbme - 2012/03/14 02:13:23
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 578
    RE: Native American Food 2012/03/14 13:14:07 (permalink)

I have been in the southwest several times, but have yet to try fry bread.   Is fry bread similar to the "dough-boys" of my native Rhode Island?

Also, why is it referred to as fry bread, rather than fried bread.  In other words, we say fried chicken, and not fry chicken.  Is it a unique frying process used for fry bread?   Maybe something like "oven fried", hence the distinctive fry bread name, rather than fried bread?

Much thanks.

Glenn

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1