Natural Casing dogs in San Antonio

Author
jonsull
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
2009/01/19 13:44:40 (permalink)

Natural Casing dogs in San Antonio

Ok......here's my initial post.  I'm going to San Antonio this Friday and have been instructed by my friends down there that  my mission is to make them hot dogs like we have up here in CT.  I usually buy Hummels or occasionally Martin Rosols from New Britain.  I'm doubting that there will be natural casing dogs anything like we have here (we are spoiled by the amount of choices of great hot dogs) but I'm interested to find out if there are quality hot dogs there you can get in a supermarket or butcher in San Antonio. 

I'm almost debating freezing a couple of pounds of Hummels dogs from up here, putting them in my carry on and getting a cooler as soon as we get there.

BTW I'm also making hot dog chili for them also

Any thoughts?

7 Replies Related Threads

HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Natural Casing dogs in San Antonio 2009/01/19 14:13:03 (permalink)
    San Antonio is not a big hot dog town,its more mexican food and hamburgers.
    As far as natural casings go, you could try H.E.B. Grocery Stores.
    I don't know about carrying any in your luggage on the plane.

H.E.B. is all over the area.There might be some meat markets, like Penshorn's out in Marion, east of San Antonio, on FM78 or Granzin's off the Interstate 35 North access road in New Braunfels who make their own and sell them.
    Or check with H.E.B. Central Market on Broadway, next to the University of the Incarnate Word in Alamo Heights.
    jonsull
    Junior Burger
    Re:Natural Casing dogs in San Antonio 2009/01/19 14:17:26 (permalink)
    We actually have plans to go to Central Market before we go out to our friends house so that work just fine........We're staying overnite in SA then leaving the next day for his ranch.

We're going to go to City Market as soon as we get off the plane and get our car.......can't wait!!!

Thanks for the info!
    dexmat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:Natural Casing dogs in San Antonio 2009/01/19 14:25:58 (permalink)
    Some HEB stores in SA will have Boar's Head delis and should have the natural casing dogs.  Some stores in Houston that have Boar's Head (Kroger here) also carry Nathan's.

You could probably have your friends call and confirm availability so you'll know if you need to carry some with you.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:Natural Casing dogs in San Antonio 2009/01/19 17:59:21 (permalink)
    If the stores down there have Boar's Head All-Beef natural casing dogs, your day is made. It's the dog that's used at Pete's in Newburgh, N.Y., and they are great.

The Bear
    jonsull
    Junior Burger
    Re:Natural Casing dogs in San Antonio 2009/01/19 18:57:33 (permalink)
    Baors head dogs will work just fine!
    jonsull
    Junior Burger
    Re:Natural Casing dogs in San Antonio 2009/01/27 20:14:20 (permalink)
    I am back from San Antonio and here is my report>

Central Market on Broadway is the place to go to for hot dogs in SA.

In the deli case they had Boars Head of course but the also had some hot dogs from Karl Ehmer in NY.  They were 8 to a pound and were pretty tasty with a decent snap.  However the real find was at the deli counter.  They has something that the deli label called Vienna beef and pork but I am sure they were beef only.  They were 5-6 to a pound and they had a great snap and a really garlicky bite to them.  I've never been to Chicago (on my list of places to go) so I've not had these before.  Iwas very impressed.

My Texas friend was duly impressed but trumped me with his own homemade sausage cooked on his huge smoker/grill.  We cooked the dogs and the sausage on the grill and they were terrific.

Thaks for the help!
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:Natural Casing dogs in San Antonio 2009/01/29 18:42:19 (permalink)
    Wow-
    Boars Head - plants in Arkansas and Virginia
    Karl Ehmer - Ridgewood, Queens, New York City
    Vienna - Chicago

It just goes to show it is possible to ship Cryovac wrapped franks all over the country.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1