Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
NRavenwolf
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Joined: 2004/05/26 20:15:00
  • Location: Newport, CA
  • Status: offline
2004/05/26 20:26:12 (permalink)

Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!!



OK..I'm a SoCal native. Today me and my buds were at the beach and had some questions about some great food. Does anybody know if there are any Naugles left anywhere? The last one I saw was in Las Vegas in 1999.
Also, anybody know if there are any Pup-N-Tacos left? What about Tiny Naylers? (SP?)

Oh yeah for those of you who remember Straw Hat Pizza there are many locations in NorCal and there are a couple just South East of Long Beach, CA. Yummy!
#1

45 Replies Related Threads

    ChiliDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    • Joined: 2004/05/16 14:15:00
    • Location: Apple Valley, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2004/05/26 22:17:26 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, Naugles has gone to that great corporate merger in the sky. Back in 1988, March I believe, Del Taco and Naugles officially combined and the Naugles menu was absorbeb by Del Taco. I'm sure that the one or two resturants still operating under the Naugles name are using the same menu and procedures as Del Taco. In my opinion a loss on the fast food world.

    It would seem that Pup-N-Taco, has suffered the same fate. They were bought out by Taco Bell quite a few years back. You might notice that most of the old Pup-N-Taco locations are now taken up by Taco Bells.
    #2
    NRavenwolf
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Joined: 2004/05/26 20:15:00
    • Location: Newport, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2004/05/26 22:56:18 (permalink)
    Ah...I was so afraid that was the deal.

    Thanks for the intel. And you're right about Taco Bell locations they did take over all the Pup-N-Taco property. Glad to hear another person has actually heard of Pup-N-Taco!

    Anybody know of a place called Canos? The one I visited was in Oahu and it had the best steak and the best service I've ever experienced!They went out of business anybody know of any other locations?

    PS...if you like GREAT Mexican Food..take the 76 (Oceanside, CA) passed Pala Casino about 3 miles. On the right side of the road is a hole in the wall. The food is cheap and it rocks!! Just be sure to take your Tums!!
    #3
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Joined: 2003/06/09 00:14:00
    • Location: Allston, MA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2004/05/26 23:30:54 (permalink)
    The last Pup N Tacos I knew of were on Central Avenue in Albuquerque, one at the corner of Central and Washington and another in the hookers-and-crack stretch between I-25 and downtown. Both disappeared around 1996.
    #4
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    • Joined: 2004/12/17 13:05:00
    • Location: Escondido, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/04/22 14:53:02 (permalink)
    NRavenwolf - another SoCal native here...
    All the Naugles in San Diego disappeared in the mid-80's as I recall. There was something about their burger that always left me wanting another taste of it, even though I was full (the sauce???). I liked the shredded lettuce - different for a burger. The first time I had a Double-Del I got that same sensation - now I know why!!
    The only Tiny Naylor's I knew was in San Juan Capistrano. Alas, long gone. They won my heart on a hot day in August when, as the hostess seated us, instead of the usual "Can I get you some coffee?", she asked "Who would like iced tea?"


    #5
    dkp
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    • Joined: 2002/02/20 17:52:00
    • Location: ,
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/04/22 22:21:03 (permalink)
    There is still a Pup & Taco on west Central, just west of the river. I've seen another one somewhere in Albuq. recently, but I can't remember where.
    #6
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8086
    • Joined: 2005/04/17 18:50:00
    • Location: Marina del Rey, CA
    • Status: online
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/04/23 00:40:02 (permalink)
    WOW! I knew the Pup N Taco owners. Well their daughter married my friend's nephew.

    They made a fortune (then) when Taco Bell bought all of their locations.

    Pup N Taco wasn't their first venture.

    I liked their Icees.

    The Big Donuts (Huge Donut shaped building seen on the Jay Leno Show) were owned by them prior to Pup N Taco.

    I forgot about Naugles!
    #7
    NRavenwolf
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Joined: 2004/05/26 20:15:00
    • Location: Newport, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/04/23 07:28:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NRavenwolf



    OK..I'm a SoCal native. Today me and my buds were at the beach and had some questions about some great food. Does anybody know if there are any Naugles left anywhere? The last one I saw was in Las Vegas in 1999.
    Also, anybody know if there are any Pup-N-Tacos left? What about Tiny Naylers? (SP?)

    Oh yeah for those of you who remember Straw Hat Pizza there are many locations in NorCal and there are a couple just South East of Long Beach, CA. Yummy!
    #8
    NRavenwolf
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Joined: 2004/05/26 20:15:00
    • Location: Newport, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/04/23 07:29:51 (permalink)
    I totally forgot I'd posted this! Thanks for all the input and when I get back from Baghdad, I'm going to NM to look for the last remaining Pup-n-tacos! LOL
    The food here is although we now have a Burger King, Subway, Gyro King and Pizza Inn. It's a nice change from the chow hall.
    #9
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    • Joined: 2004/03/29 04:29:00
    • Location: chicago, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/04/23 09:19:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Salustra

    NRavenwolf - another SoCal native here...
    All the Naugles in San Diego disappeared in the mid-80's as I recall. There was something about their burger that always left me wanting another taste of it, even though I was full (the sauce???). I liked the shredded lettuce - different for a burger. The first time I had a Double-Del I got that same sensation - now I know why!!
    The only Tiny Naylor's I knew was in San Juan Capistrano. Alas, long gone. They won my heart on a hot day in August when, as the hostess seated us, instead of the usual "Can I get you some coffee?", she asked "Who would like iced tea?"



    Thank you! I too Loved the double cheeseburgers at Naugles! They did have something special. The cheese was kinda sharp and the mayo sauce and shredded lettuce brought it all together. Way long gone from Chicago, and Del Taco hasn't arrived yet.
    #10
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 709
    • Joined: 2004/12/28 23:37:00
    • Location: dowagiac, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/04/24 11:15:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

    quote:
    Originally posted by Salustra

    NRavenwolf - another SoCal native here...
    All the Naugles in San Diego disappeared in the mid-80's as I recall. There was something about their burger that always left me wanting another taste of it, even though I was full (the sauce???). I liked the shredded lettuce - different for a burger. The first time I had a Double-Del I got that same sensation - now I know why!!
    The only Tiny Naylor's I knew was in San Juan Capistrano. Alas, long gone. They won my heart on a hot day in August when, as the hostess seated us, instead of the usual "Can I get you some coffee?", she asked "Who would like iced tea?"



    Thank you! I too Loved the double cheeseburgers at Naugles! They did have something special. The cheese was kinda sharp and the mayo sauce and shredded lettuce brought it all together. Way long gone from Chicago, and Del Taco hasn't arrived yet.


    Thank You for brining back great memories, I love their Mexican food!!!

    I always have wondered why the only naugles in this area closed, Now I know, they were bought out by Deltaco, Thanks!!!
    #11
    Prairie Mary
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    • Joined: 2003/06/22 09:02:00
    • Location: Fort Collins, CO
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/04/24 11:45:08 (permalink)
    Dick Naugle says:

    "Serve Food Fast, Keep Place Clean"

    Yes, Pup N Taco! I remember it was the cheap food of choice during our College days. 4 pups or 4 tacos for $1.00.

    I also remember briefly a chain called "Picnic N Chicken" in a fake barn style building.

    SoCal native, now in Colo...
    Prairie Mary
    #12
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Joined: 2003/06/09 00:14:00
    • Location: Allston, MA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/04/24 18:50:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dkp

    There is still a Pup & Taco on west Central, just west of the river. I've seen another one somewhere in Albuq. recently, but I can't remember where.


    Look again at the sign when you go past it: it used to be a Pup 'n' Taco, but those changed to Pop 'n' Taco in the mid-'90s! They have nothing to do w/ the CA chain anymore.
    #13
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    • Joined: 2004/12/17 13:05:00
    • Location: Escondido, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/04/25 11:51:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Prairie Mary

    I also remember briefly a chain called "Picnic N Chicken" in a fake barn style building.

    Yes-I liked Picnic'n'Chicken much better than KFC. In my area, the remaining barn buildings have lived on as various "--berto's" and at least one In-n-Out wannabe called "EZ-Out Burger". Actually, I think one is even a super-cheap car rental place...go figure......


    #14
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    • Joined: 2004/12/17 13:05:00
    • Location: Escondido, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/04/25 11:53:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NRavenwolf

    I totally forgot I'd posted this! Thanks for all the input and when I get back from Baghdad, I'm going to NM to look for the last remaining Pup-n-tacos! LOL
    The food here is although we now have a Burger King, Subway, Gyro King and Pizza Inn. It's a nice change from the chow hall.


    Home safe and soon!!
    #15
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    • Joined: 2002/07/26 15:34:00
    • Location: Westport, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/04/28 07:22:32 (permalink)
    RIP Naugles Macho Breakfast Burrito.
    #16
    KSparkuhl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Joined: 2005/05/04 20:33:00
    • Location: Boise, ID
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/05/04 20:45:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    There was something about their burger that always left me wanting another taste of it, even though I was full (the sauce???).


    As a former employee (around 1983 or so) I was introduced to the "secret sauce" that was used on the Naugles Hamburgers. I remember the training book saying that they served the burgers "cafe" style... or something to that effect... meaning that it was simply tomato, onion, pickles and shredded lettuce with a creamy white "secret sauce". I remember the shredded lettuce going directly on the bottom bun, and then generously sprinkling pepper on the lettuce, followed by the sauce, two thinly sliced tomatoes, and then cheese. This was followed with the cooked hamburger patty. The top of the bun was spread with mayo, a few dill pickle slices, and then a thin slice of onion completed the top. Turn the top bun onto the burger patty, and you have a "Naugles" burger.

    Now to the burning question... what WAS the secret sauce? It was very simply...

    2 parts Mayo
    1 part Buttermilk
    dash of lemon juice
    and seasoned with pepper

    ...that's it! Whisk the ingredients well and refrigerate to blend the flavors. Anyway... thought you'd like the recipe!
    #17
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/05/04 21:56:37 (permalink)
    Does anyone remember a Naugles just north of Philadelphia? While the comments here seem to indicate it was a "west coast" thing, I recall my cousin driving me there from Trenton...and it being REALLY good.
    #18
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    • Joined: 2003/05/28 11:17:00
    • Location: Howardsville, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/05/06 08:24:03 (permalink)
    Thank you guys...now I finally understand what a sumo wrestler was saying on "Night Court"...
    When asked if he knew any english...he said..whopper...filet o'fish... and Pup N Taco.
    I had no idea what that was until now.
    #19
    NRavenwolf
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Joined: 2004/05/26 20:15:00
    • Location: Newport, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/05/06 08:35:10 (permalink)
    OK..how did they made their fries? I remember them being good...the way Carl's Jr was in the early 80s.
    #20
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    • Joined: 2004/12/17 13:05:00
    • Location: Escondido, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/05/16 18:58:34 (permalink)
    KSparkuhl - We had "Naugle Burgers" for dinner Saturday night. Thanks again for the recipe. It brought back fond memories - and flavors! I think the highly peppered shredded lettuce may contribute as much to the uniqueness as the sauce.

    NRavenwolf - With the aformentioned burgers, we had OreIda "crispers" fries (I chose the oven-baked method). They have the ripples, and accompanying extra-crispy points, like the old fries. While maybe not exactly the same, a close substitute.
    My husband worked at Carl's Jr (late '70s) and says their fries were extruded. Essentially, mashed potatoes (instant, of course) squeezed out of something akin to a playdough press to form the ripple-shaped fries.
    #21
    KSparkuhl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Joined: 2005/05/04 20:33:00
    • Location: Boise, ID
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/05/16 20:27:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Salustra

    KSparkuhl - We had "Naugle Burgers" for dinner Saturday night. Thanks again for the recipe. It brought back fond memories - and flavors! I think the highly peppered shredded lettuce may contribute as much to the uniqueness as the sauce.


    Excellent! Glad you liked it... and yes... the peppered lettuce was very much original to Naugles. The only reason I happened upon this forum was because we recently had a "Del Taco" open up down the street from us. This is Boise's first Del, and I was really looking forward to a Macho Combo Burrito. I was speaking to the manager there, and she was a Naugles employee from way back too... which got me to thinking about the Naugles burgers. So in looking for articles on the web about Naugles, I came upon this thread. So... there you have it. A little cyber luck!
    #22
    ah55761
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Joined: 2005/05/19 15:25:00
    • Location: Cincinnati, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/05/19 15:28:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NRavenwolf

    Ah...I was so afraid that was the deal.

    Thanks for the intel. And you're right about Taco Bell locations they did take over all the Pup-N-Taco property. Glad to hear another person has actually heard of Pup-N-Taco!

    Anybody know of a place called Canos? The one I visited was in Oahu and it had the best steak and the best service I've ever experienced!They went out of business anybody know of any other locations?

    PS...if you like GREAT Mexican Food..take the 76 (Oceanside, CA) passed Pala Casino about 3 miles. On the right side of the road is a hole in the wall. The food is cheap and it rocks!! Just be sure to take your Tums!!
    #23
    ah55761
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Joined: 2005/05/19 15:25:00
    • Location: Cincinnati, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/05/19 15:30:24 (permalink)
    People, the Mexican restaurant on Main St. just south east of th Santa Monica Pier is to die for. I can't remember the name of it, but it is on the west side of the street just south of the old original Sears store. Killer, killer food!!!
    quote:
    Originally posted by NRavenwolf



    OK..I'm a SoCal native. Today me and my buds were at the beach and had some questions about some great food. Does anybody know if there are any Naugles left anywhere? The last one I saw was in Las Vegas in 1999.
    Also, anybody know if there are any Pup-N-Tacos left? What about Tiny Naylers? (SP?)

    Oh yeah for those of you who remember Straw Hat Pizza there are many locations in NorCal and there are a couple just South East of Long Beach, CA. Yummy!
    #24
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 709
    • Joined: 2004/12/28 23:37:00
    • Location: dowagiac, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/05/19 17:17:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by garryd451

    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

    quote:
    Originally posted by Salustra

    NRavenwolf - another SoCal native here...
    All the Naugles in San Diego disappeared in the mid-80's as I recall. There was something about their burger that always left me wanting another taste of it, even though I was full (the sauce???). I liked the shredded lettuce - different for a burger. The first time I had a Double-Del I got that same sensation - now I know why!!
    The only Tiny Naylor's I knew was in San Juan Capistrano. Alas, long gone. They won my heart on a hot day in August when, as the hostess seated us, instead of the usual "Can I get you some coffee?", she asked "Who would like iced tea?"



    Thank you! I too Loved the double cheeseburgers at Naugles! They did have something special. The cheese was kinda sharp and the mayo sauce and shredded lettuce brought it all together. Way long gone from Chicago, and Del Taco hasn't arrived yet.


    Thank You for brining back great memories, I love their Mexican food!!!

    I always have wondered why the only naugles in this area closed, Now I know, they were bought out by Deltaco. The Naugles near here is now a fast food Bar b que Place!

    Thanks!!!
    #25
    xtracheese
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    • Joined: 2005/11/28 19:28:00
    • Location: lake havasu city, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/11/28 19:48:05 (permalink)
    Found Addresses that say they are current locations for NAUGLES " />

    694 W. Arrow Hwy San Dimas CA.
    9750 Sierra Ave. Fontana CA.
    1138 West Ave. Lancaster. CA
    #26
    Sandy Eggo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    • Joined: 2005/09/07 12:59:00
    • Location: San Diego area, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/11/29 14:39:22 (permalink)
    I remember Naugles and they were good. They made really good burritos that had very fresh tortillas. There food was really always fresh tasting.

    I also remember Picnic 'N Chicken. They had really good fried chicken and ther chicken taquitos were the best I've ever had. When I used to go there they were always out of something though. They sold their soft drink in cans, though there is nothing wrong with that, for a chain they should have had fountains. That's where the profit is, in those $1.00 drinks that cost .10 to make. Made me think they were overexpanding and under-capitalized.

    The barns are still around reincarnated as Mexican drive thrus, EZ-Burger, and even a Subway Sandwich Drive Thru. But Picnic N Chicken went in bankruptcy one day.

    "Picnic and Chicken....it's the pick of the chick." <--- Their jingle.

    One more thing. About 15 years ago looked up the owners in the local business filings and called him at home to ask about getting the chicken recipe. He wasn't amused.
    #27
    rhoadsv
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Joined: 2005/12/28 01:21:00
    • Location: tc, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2005/12/28 01:28:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for the sauce recipe. Would any happen to know the recipe for the combo burrito. At least just the meat part as the rest is pretty self explanatory. Thanks.
    quote:
    Originally posted by KSparkuhl

    quote:
    There was something about their burger that always left me wanting another taste of it, even though I was full (the sauce???).


    As a former employee (around 1983 or so) I was introduced to the "secret sauce" that was used on the Naugles Hamburgers. I remember the training book saying that they served the burgers "cafe" style... or something to that effect... meaning that it was simply tomato, onion, pickles and shredded lettuce with a creamy white "secret sauce". I remember the shredded lettuce going directly on the bottom bun, and then generously sprinkling pepper on the lettuce, followed by the sauce, two thinly sliced tomatoes, and then cheese. This was followed with the cooked hamburger patty. The top of the bun was spread with mayo, a few dill pickle slices, and then a thin slice of onion completed the top. Turn the top bun onto the burger patty, and you have a "Naugles" burger.

    Now to the burning question... what WAS the secret sauce? It was very simply...

    2 parts Mayo
    1 part Buttermilk
    dash of lemon juice
    and seasoned with pepper

    ...that's it! Whisk the ingredients well and refrigerate to blend the flavors. Anyway... thought you'd like the recipe!
    #28
    lone nut
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    • Joined: 2004/10/24 06:30:00
    • Location: Los Angeles, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2007/03/25 23:40:00 (permalink)
    Naugles had a nice big bean and cheese burrito. But I really liked the Ortega chile cheeseburger. Nice and juicy on account of the chiles, and I agree that the sliced lettuce was the right idea, like they used to use on some items at Hamburger Hamlet.
    #29
    mashagar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Joined: 2007/04/21 23:11:00
    • Location: Ontario, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Naugles? Pup-N-Taco? Straw Hat!! 2007/04/21 23:28:44 (permalink)
    I've always remembered Naugles from when I was a kid. I only remember one in Riverside. I did a search online and read that the first one was opened in Riverside, not sure if its the original I remember, though. I'm only 26 so Naugles certainly wasn't around for much of my life.

    Anyway, I can't believe that there's still one in San Dimas on Arrow. I drove Arrow many years and still do on Mondays coming home from work and have never seen one.

    I remember Naugles was similar to Del Taco, if not the same thing, and now I know what happened in the end! Also read it was founded by a former Del Taco employee...the connection makes sense.
    #30
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1