Need Advice for Approaching a Bar Owner

Author
zumguteetz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 171
2012/03/27 11:06:09 (permalink)

Need Advice for Approaching a Bar Owner

I currently run a small restaurant for a group of absentee owners. I also have my own hot-dog cart during the Spring, Summer and Fall. I really would like to operate my own place year round. Someone told me of a bar with a fully equipped kitchen that's not serving food at the moment. My thought was to approach the bar owner and discuss me taking over the kitchen operation independently. My question- what's the best win/win scenario I could offer the bar owner to begin the discussion? It seems to do a brisk evening and weekend bar business.

10 Replies Related Threads

Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:Need Advice for Approaching a Bar Owner 2012/03/27 15:18:56 (permalink)
    A bar is in business to make money, offer to pay them rent on their kitchen or a cut of the profits. Money always talks.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Need Advice for Approaching a Bar Owner 2012/03/27 15:28:12 (permalink)
    Some creative unique recipes that will drive alcohol sales to rise.

Get a reading on utilities before you start. If they want to dig into your pockets more...they will likely claim that the utility bills have skyrocketed since your arrival...yada yada. Be prepared before that happens.

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Need Advice for Approaching a Bar Owner 2012/03/27 16:00:06 (permalink)
    Yes know exactly what the utility bills are before you approach the guy. But when you go to see him take 4 or 5 of your best food items hot and ready to serve to him. It's important to pick a non busy time when he will pay attention to your offer
    jack
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10257
    Re:Need Advice for Approaching a Bar Owner 2012/03/27 16:32:45 (permalink)
    It's an accounting and logistical nightmare.
    The key to the issue is at the cash register! Who's gonna collect the money and record it properly? How do you handle the check for the customer who has both Food & Drink? If I'm the bar owner and running the register, I'm ringing up some food sales as bar sales.
    And then there's the liability issues. What happens if someone gets sick from your food and what happens if the kitchen catches fire due to your negligence?
    Others have tried this approach. Most have not worked out.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/03/27 16:40:03
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Need Advice for Approaching a Bar Owner 2012/03/27 16:35:20 (permalink)
    If there is a somewhat defined customer base that the bar is known to serve...make sure your items fit the base....before you get there. Win him/her/them over as fast as you can. Bar owners can have short attention spans...and short nerves.
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:Need Advice for Approaching a Bar Owner 2012/03/30 12:00:02 (permalink)
    a percentage of net sales is the only way to go. id go no more than 10% and shoot for 6 or 7% (or less). thats the figure national realtors shoot for on built out deals with equipment in place. of course thats for the whole building but still should apply. nothin comes out of the kitchen without a ticket and get double copies to keep for sales records. keep a weekly spread sheet so you can track it.  it can be sweet heart if all falls into place. it can work and work well. dont listen to the nay sayers. business insurance is a must. good luck with the deal.
    Sapphirebistro
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re:Need Advice for Approaching a Bar Owner 2012/03/30 12:56:32 (permalink)
    Pretty much agree with posters, money talks be sure to have contracts written up though for both of your sakes just to be sure everyone is on the same page.

And be prepared look like you know what your talking about have menus and prep sheets ready to show him just like any business proposal.
    Sapphirebistro
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re:Need Advice for Approaching a Bar Owner 2012/03/30 13:01:08 (permalink)
    I also suggest getting to know the br owner frequent the bar learn the business learn the man your working with he is much more likely to listen to an acquaintence rather than a stranger that's he doesn't know anything bout
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:Need Advice for Approaching a Bar Owner 2012/03/30 15:39:33 (permalink)
    Frequent the bar but don't be one of the people who are there all the time drinking a lot. No bar owner wants a drunk business partner or a player in the bar soap opera.
    post edited by Chicnscoop - 2012/03/30 15:40:51
    pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2396
    Re:Need Advice for Approaching a Bar Owner 2012/03/30 16:13:59 (permalink)
    #1, find out why they are not serving food. Just because the bar is busy doesn't make it a good place for food. People are a lot more knowledgeable about food now a days. They pick a bar, then food so they can get the best of both. If you plan on doing food, plan on doing killer food that people will come for. I have seen to many bars, offer food just to offer food, no one leaves home for that kind of food. All owners what to know "what can you do for me" tell the bar owner, you want to build the food and make it a place that is known for the food, this will raise bar sales. This is a two way street, he should be able to help you get started, low rent, the better you do, the more he gets. This way if it doesn't work out, it will not cost you an arm and a leg............make sure the rent includes, gas, electric, telephone, health permit, and insurance.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1