Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes

Author
Tony White
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
2009/06/21 14:04:07 (permalink)

Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes

I really need help!  We love having homemade pancakes for breakfast, but the last few times I made them they came out rubbery.  I've made them using buttermilk, skim milk, regular milk - all with the same results.  Also, I usually make the batch and keep them warm in the oven until they are all made so that we can all eat together.  I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or what to do to fix them.  Anybody have any ideas, suggestions - I'm open to anything!  Many thanks.

19 Replies Related Threads

brittneal
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/21 14:24:02 (permalink)

An important point is not to over mix.  You want all the dry ingerdients incorperated and then stop mixing.  Over beating will releas more gluten which can make them rubbery.  Its like the trick with biscuit dough.  Its the same cause and effect.  The less its beaten the lighter it will be because the liquid doesnt force all the air out of the batter.
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1364
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/21 14:47:32 (permalink)
    Brittneal is right, rubbery pancakes are due to over mixing. The batter doesn't have to be clump free. 
    Bill Reynolds
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 230
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/21 14:54:53 (permalink)
    brittneal

An important point is not to over mix.  You want all the dry ingerdients incorperated and then stop mixing.  Over beating will releas more gluten which can make them rubbery.  Its like the trick with biscuit dough.  Its the same cause and effect.  The less its beaten the lighter it will be because the liquid doesnt force all the air out of the batter.

Thanks much brittneal, I did'nt know that and have from time to time had the same results.
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/21 15:32:38 (permalink)
    10-4...good tip.
    jbburn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/21 16:03:24 (permalink)
    cook's country and cook's illistrated just had pancake best recipes.not only dont over mix but let the batter rest for 10 minutes.these were for buttermilk pancakes with the addition of sourcream to the batter.i have made both but the cook's illustrated i think were better(though both good).ingredients as i remember though not the proportions ,all purpose flour,baking powder and soda,salt,sugar,eggs,buttermilk,sour cream and melted butter.the gist of the article is the acidic nature of the buttermilk and sour cream react with the powder and soda give that rise to the pancakes so they they dont get rubbery.that along with just mixing until just incorporated and dont worry about lumps.letting it rest for 10 minutes gives everything time to "react".
    the cooks country recipe was more for making your own "box" mix and keeping it for subsequent  uses.they added cut up butter to the dry ingredients so the mix had to be in the fridge until you added the wet ingredients at the time of mixing.also some of the flour used was cake flour.
    hope this wasnt too confusing .check out the cook's illustrated at the newstand or maybe the web site has the recipe.i really think the key is the mixing  technique,letting it rest and not using packaged mix.it takes no time to put it all together .
    beijinger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/21 17:28:44 (permalink)
    Wow! I didn't know any of that. 1. Don't over mix 2. Lumps AOK 3. Let sit refrigerator 10 minutes. Thanks
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/23 03:38:30 (permalink)
    Tony - Try these:

1-1/4 c flour
    1/3 c Cream of Wheat or Farina (uncooked)
    1/4 c sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1-1/2 c whole buttermilk (not that low fat stuff)
    1/4 c salad oil
    1 cap vanilla extract
    1 lg egg

The key is letting the buttermilk and egg get to room temperature.  Mix all wet together.  Slowly add to dry and do not over mix.  Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes or until you see it start to rise. 

Couple of other comments to add to the discussion - If your recipe calls for baking powder..You have to check to see the date.  This stuff loses its effectiveness after time and will ruin your pancakes.  When it doubt, throw it out.  The stuff is dirt cheap.  I get the smallest cans possible.

I heard cake flour is terrific for pancakes.  I can't find it in the store!
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/06/23 03:44:39
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/23 07:58:43 (permalink)
    With backing powder in the mix, I always add in 1/4 lemon's worth of lemon juice.  It brightens the flavor without being noticably "lemony", and the acid really activates the baking powders acid based levening effect.  Fluff's them up.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/23 08:05:47 (permalink)
    Ben, instant or regular farina or cream of wheat? That recipe sounds great. I make pancakes with buttermil all the time but I only have seen the lowfat buttermilk. Where can I find whole buttermilk?
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/23 22:43:52 (permalink)
    Agnes - Sorry...Regular cooked type; not instant. 

The whole buttermilk - It's actually called "Gourmet Buttermilk" and it's a quart vs the 1-1/2 gts of low fat.  Here in Florida, its a small thin plastic bottle with a green cap.

They may not have it in the A&P or Shop Rite.  Perhaps they have it at that fancy store?  You know the one I mean in Franklin Lakes.
    Call around.  It is about $2.15 for a quart in Florida.  Look if you cannot find it with out a great deal of effort, use the low fat stuff.  It will be ok.

This is not my recipe.  It is IHOP's or a copy of it from someone.  I did change the sugar and added vanilla.  You know how it really tastes great?  Take sliced fresh peaches (skins off) and put in little pieces.  Wonderful.

And please..Use legitimate maple syrup. Just kidding..maybe.
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/06/23 22:45:48
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/23 23:31:46 (permalink)
    I use: 
    1 cup of (white) whole wheat flour. Available almost everywhere.
    1 or 2 teaspoons baking powder.
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda.
    1 tablespoon Splenda or, sugar.
    1 cup of Kefir. Buttermilk will work as just as well. Add a bit more if batter is too thick.
    1 extra large (or 2 small) eggs.
    1 tablespoon of oil. Your choice.
    1/8 teaspoon salt.

Mix for only as long as it takes for the batter to be moist.
    DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE LUMPS! There're your friends. They will dissolve while cooking.
    Cover mixing bowl of batter with a towel and let sit out for 15 minutes.

Cook (preferably) on a lightly oiled non-stick electric griddle. Flip when bubbles form on edges and bottoms look almost done. 

Use ONLY real butter and genuine Vermont (your choice of grade) maple syrup to top. Best served with bacon or, real pork (natural casing) breakfast sausage links with sage.

WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/24 08:00:38 (permalink)
    Baah Ben
    ... And please..Use legitimate maple syrup. Just kidding..maybe.

Unless you have 4x kids drowning their plate in syrup.

I keep a bottle of the real deal for the adults, and a bottle of the fake corn syrup crap for the kids.  It'd be too expensive otherwise.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/24 12:58:17 (permalink)
    Wartoad..I hear you.  Maple syrup is really getting crazy.  We got ours at Sam's and it's a bit cheaper...
    shortchef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/24 15:00:58 (permalink)
    3 cups of self-rising flour, 2 large or medium eggs, 1 cup full fat buttermilk, then whole milk to the consistency of batter you want. That's it. Learned from my aunt, a Betty Crocker test cook.
    Tony White
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/29 19:11:50 (permalink)
    Thanks to everyone for suggestions.  I made another batch this weekend, and decided to use all 'new' ingredients - fresh baking powder and flour.  Made sure the griddle was hot enough too.  They came out great!  Next I'm going to try some of the recipes given above - will let you know how they came out too.  Thanks everyone!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/29 20:58:17 (permalink)
    Baah Ben

Wartoad..I hear you.  Maple syrup is really getting crazy.  We got ours at Sam's and it's a bit cheaper...

Or, Costco.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/29 21:01:05 (permalink)
    shortchef

3 cups of self-rising flour, 2 large or medium eggs, 1 cup full fat buttermilk, then whole milk to the consistency of batter you want. That's it. Learned from my aunt, a Betty Crocker test cook.

It's hard to find, full fat buttermilk. But, this recipe looks real good!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/29 21:05:57 (permalink)
    Tony White

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.  I made another batch this weekend, and decided to use all 'new' ingredients - fresh baking powder and flour.  Made sure the griddle was hot enough too.  They came out great!  Next I'm going to try some of the recipes given above - will let you know how they came out too.  Thanks everyone!

Tony: Please try shortchef's recipe if you can find full fat buttermilk and let us know how it was.
    I would but, I'm trying to loose weight.
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Need Help for Rubbery Pancakes 2009/06/29 23:17:00 (permalink)
    Last year before I started to get a bit to weak to stand and do anything too intensive I was on a pancake type and muffin sandwich kick for breakfast/lunch.  i started to enjoy some very simple crepe type tyhings.  just a simple batter of milk, flour and egg. followed by a quick flip in an egg pan.  Simple and awesome with some grilled ham, butter and syrup!  One thing about them is they are always light as air and cant get tough.  they can get a little ruubery while learning but still quite doable!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1