Need Urgent Advice

Author
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1117
2010/11/24 10:43:48 (permalink)

Need Urgent Advice

I've been asked to smoke a brisket for the office party. I will be smoking it one day and bringing it to work the following day. My problem is reheating it and retaining the moisture, smoke ring and most importantly the bark not getting soggy. Any suggestions?

14 Replies Related Threads

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Need Urgent Advice 2010/11/24 11:46:13 (permalink)
    brisketboy

I've been asked to smoke a brisket for the office party. I will be smoking it one day and bringing it to work the following day. My problem is reheating it and retaining the moisture, smoke ring and most importantly the bark not getting soggy. Any suggestions?

Cool it then slice it to a decent thickness, let it simmer in warn beef broth, right before serving, not too hot, you dont want any further cooking!
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2718
    Re:Need Urgent Advice 2010/11/24 11:52:49 (permalink)
    You can successfully warm it in a Crock Pot or Nesco roaster.  I did this recently with an unsliced flat and believe it made the brisket more tender while keeping it moist.
    brisketboy
    Re:Need Urgent Advice 2010/11/24 11:56:14 (permalink)
    Thank you both. I really appreiciate the advice.
    euclid
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:Need Urgent Advice 2010/11/24 13:55:41 (permalink)
    I cooked brisket and pork shoulder for a wedding party of 100 people. They were to eat my offerings the following day. Although I do not like to reheat, circumstances dictated that I had to. My solution. Prior to taking brisket off, I put hot water in cooler and let the interior "warm" up. Taking the brisket off the BBQ machine, I double wrapped it in foil. Emptied the water out of the cooler and placed brisket in cooler and shut lid. This accomplishes two things. The foiled brisket maintains it's  moisture and stays relatively warm. Heat up next day for approximately one hour @ 200 degrees, then sauce, if that's your thing. Quality is 95% of what it would be if eaten right off the machine. I do the same when cooking for large groups who will be eating the same day. Guaranteed moist. euclid
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2718
    Re:Need Urgent Advice 2010/11/24 14:45:22 (permalink)
    Machine? 
    euclid, please call that a "pit."  We won't tell anyone your secret.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:Need Urgent Advice 2010/11/24 23:06:47 (permalink)
    euclid

I cooked brisket and pork shoulder for a wedding party of 100 people. They were to eat my offerings the following day. Although I do not like to reheat, circumstances dictated that I had to. My solution. Prior to taking brisket off, I put hot water in cooler and let the interior "warm" up. Taking the brisket off the BBQ machine, I double wrapped it in foil. Emptied the water out of the cooler and placed brisket in cooler and shut lid. This accomplishes two things. The foiled brisket maintains it's  moisture and stays relatively warm. Heat up next day for approximately one hour @ 200 degrees, then sauce, if that's your thing. Quality is 95% of what it would be if eaten right off the machine. I do the same when cooking for large groups who will be eating the same day. Guaranteed moist. euclid

This works for 4 to 6 hours to hold meat hot.   But from your description, the brisket was in the hot-box/cooler at least 18 hours to 24 hours before serving.  The brisket "stays relatively warm", there was no way to control the temperature for that long and insure the brisket was not in the temperature danger zone too long.    I'm glad it worked out for you, but I think you were lucky and was pushing your luck.

If your BBQ is not going to be served within a few hours after cooking, cool it and store in the refrig.  Slice and reheat covered the next day when needed with a little water if there is no Au Jus liquid. It will not be dry, unless it was cooked out dry to begin with.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:Need Urgent Advice 2010/11/25 10:15:30 (permalink)
    brisketboy

This is what I did 3 or 4 years ago, ... BBQ'd the brisket on a Sunday afternoon, cooled & sliced; made potato salad, baked beans, homemade kraut and gathered bread, mayo, mustard (everything for sandwiches or plates, their choice), paper plates. Pack this in my cooler with the brisket & ice.  ... The next day about 10:45a, I setup the table.  I used my big 16' elect skillet as a warmer with the cover on. In it I sat, the brisket in a foil pan ( 1/2 the skillet) and the baked beans & kraut each in foil pans.  Then set the skillet on low with a little water for steam.  Everything was nice and hot by lunch and there was enough to easily feed about 16 people.   This took about 1 hour total for set up & clean up (packed everything back in the cooler and washed the skillet.

I see tomorrow, Black Friday, Wal Mart will have the small Presto elect flat grill on sale for $9.  I intend to get 2 of these just to use as warmers under foil hotel pans or roaster pan for my buffets.
    euclid
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:Need Urgent Advice 2010/11/28 09:20:45 (permalink)
    edwax, you are correct in your observation. I forgot to mention I put the cooler in a walk in fridge overnite. Then reheated the next day. Gosh, how we sometimes forget the obvious.
    brisketboy
    Re:Need Urgent Advice 2010/12/18 11:08:14 (permalink)
    One and all, I heeded the advice that you so generously offered and I wish to express my gratitude. The office staff also ordered a spiral sliced honey baked ham and smoked turkey in addition to the brisket I made. There was a lot of ham and turkey left over but the brisket was gone. People were pissed off that that was all there was. And this is a small company of merely 40 people here in Austin. Again thank you for the advice. I have learned that if I have questions I can always come here.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8496
    Re:Need Urgent Advice 2010/12/18 12:35:46 (permalink)
    Brisketboy-I am so happy to hear that all worked out beautifully! I know from experience, that, unlike other sites, every suggestion for a recipe that I have gotten from fellow roadfooders has been a winner. And I mean every single time. We are so lucky to have people with such great tastes on this site!
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:Need Urgent Advice 2010/12/20 19:43:07 (permalink)
    Because this was a serious topic, I figured I'd wait until after it was over to give my answer:

Smoking a brisket is easy once you figure out which end to put into your mouth and which end to  light.

Bart
    jgillis57
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Need Urgent Advice 2011/01/11 19:32:28 (permalink)
    Can anyone tell me if a rub is better on brisket or is using a marinade overnight or maybe both???
    TooSaucedToPork
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Need Urgent Advice 2011/01/27 22:20:32 (permalink)
    jgillis57

Can anyone tell me if a rub is better on brisket or is using a marinade overnight or maybe both???

In competition we do both.  We marinate for 7-8 hours, then rub it down and smoke it.  Some people do one..some do both, it is all personal preference...

Neil Gallagher
    Too Sauced To Pork BBQ Team
    Memphis TN - Buffalo NY
    Lost Nation
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re:Need Urgent Advice 2011/04/20 05:34:59 (permalink)
    I think this is a dangerous practice, my local Health Department would shut me down. How long did this stay in the danger zone? I cook, separate, keep at room temp to cool down then into a freezer to get below 40* .
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1