Need a cole slaw recipe

Author
dltnjms
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2005/03/16 18:19:11 (permalink)

Need a cole slaw recipe

If anyone has a recipe for cole slaw like that served at Smokey Bones Barbeque and Grill, I would greatly appreciate it as theirs is delicious. Thanks, Jim

19 Replies Related Threads

jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2005/03/17 09:36:56 (permalink)
    I will be glad to give you my recipe for slaw that people drive miles for,
    One head Cabbage
    One medium carrot peeled and grated
    About one cup or more sugar depending on how sweet you like it.
    A half cup of pickle relish
    Mayo,At least a cup or more.Iuse a food processer to chop the cabbage really fine then add all the ingedients and MIX by HAND work it in good.
    lET SIT IN FRIDGE FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF HOURS.
    SOME PEOPLE USE VINEGAR BUT I DONT THE SLAW WONT LAST A DAY IT WILL TURN SOUR.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2005/03/17 21:36:11 (permalink)
    Gramma made a slaw with yellow mustard and mayo ez on the mustard
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2005/03/24 23:35:38 (permalink)
    Cabbage is one of the most healthy vegetables you can eat.The crucifrous veggies are great cancer fighters.
    I have alot of recepies for slaws. The tried and true southern style is simply shredded slaw with carrots if you want. Dressing can be as simple as Helman's mayo with 3 T of sweet relish and some celery seed thrown in.This may be close to S-Bones.
    My favorite slaws are cabbage chopped with an apple or 2 chopped in with mayo based dressing with honey and lots of lime juice. The other is chinese cabbage,green onion with other crispy chinese veggies of your choice. Make a real light dressing with rice vinegar.
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2005/03/25 10:43:26 (permalink)
    I've never been to Smoky Bones, so I can't say this is like their slaw. But I live in NC, right in the middle of BBQ country, and nobody can dispute the fact that NC Q is some of the best on the planet. Here's a recipe for some slaw without mayo that goes really well with any kind of BBQ you could eat, be it pulled pork, rips, chicken, or whatever.

Mighty Good Cole Slaw

Chop up a medium sized head of cabbage, a bell pepper, and a medium onion, and mmix it all together in a big bowl. Add some salt and pepper. (It's better if you don't put these in a food processor, or even use a grater, since slightly bigger shreds are better.)

In a sauce pan, start out with 1and1/2 cups of water, about 1/2 cup of vinegar, 1/2 cup of sugar, about 1 tsp mustard seed, and 1 tsp celery seed. Bring this to a boil and pour over the cabbage mixture. Allow it to set for at least a couple of hours.

NOTE: The measurements on the vinegar mixture are approximate. You can mix it up and adjust it to your own taste. But I promise you this will be good with BBQ.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2005/03/25 11:18:50 (permalink)
    I prefer my slaw with no mayo as well. Cabbage is very good, I serve my stir fry over shredded cabbage instead of those crunchy noodles.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2005/03/25 13:18:47 (permalink)
    Like skylar0ne said, we don't know what that restaurant's slaw is like, but here's MY favorite slaw. Don't like mayo? Don't read on!

Pull a few leaves off a good, tight head of green cabbage. Wash, then towel dry. Cut in quarters, then cut the core out of each quarter. Slice each quarter thinly, then pick through the results to remove the few really thick pieces. If it's Viadalia onion season, prepare some of that in relatively small pieces. Combine similar amounts of mayo and sour cream. Season liberally with a better type of garlic salt like Lawry's (look for one that inclues parsley as well as sugar, which helps prevent any bitterness from the garlic), dill weed and lots of fresh ground black pepper. Add in the shredded cabbage and onion, if using. Make this kinda dry at first, as it will juice out, also why I use sour cream instead of buttermilk to make what is basically ranch dressing. Leave on the counter for about 20 minutes, then serve at once or refrigerate.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2005/03/25 13:40:54 (permalink)
    Marie's makes a pretty good coleslaw dressing. You can find it in the produce aisle in most supermarkets - usually near the pre-chopped and bagged coleslaw/salad vegetable mixes. Convenient for those with little time to spend in the kitchen.
    dltnjms
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2005/03/26 19:19:55 (permalink)
    Thanks to all of you for the great cole slaw recipes. Although I loved the Smokey Bones mayonaise based slaw, I look forward to trying some of your recommendations. I may find something I like even better. Again, thanks a million for your ideas. Jim
    Lin S
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2007/06/07 18:59:32 (permalink)
    I know this is an old question but hopefully you are still using this forum. I just experimented with trying to match the slaw at Smokey Bones. I tried their website but they don't give out recipes. Here is what I think the secret ingredient is- milk. I thinned some mayo down with milk and then added a splash of vinegar and a little sugar. Then I added some celery seed and a little celery salt. It came very close to the Smokey Bones slaw I had earlier in the day. Theirs was maybe just a little more bland, so next time I might use less vinegar and sugar. You could also try using buttermilk to thin the mayo. Try mixing these ingredients until you get the taste you want. When I figure out amounts, I will post them here.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2007/06/08 06:54:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lin S

I know this is an old question but hopefully you are still using this forum. I just experimented with trying to match the slaw at Smokey Bones. I tried their website but they don't give out recipes. Here is what I think the secret ingredient is- milk. I thinned some mayo down with milk and then added a splash of vinegar and a little sugar. Then I added some celery seed and a little celery salt. It came very close to the Smokey Bones slaw I had earlier in the day. Theirs was maybe just a little more bland, so next time I might use less vinegar and sugar. You could also try using buttermilk to thin the mayo. Try mixing these ingredients until you get the taste you want. When I figure out amounts, I will post them here.

I do not use milk but I use a powdered coffee creamer and instead of vinegar, I use lime juice. I guess it does the same thing. I like the mayo and sugar and lotsa pepper. I also use a small amount of grated onion.

I do not saltinitially as it seems to me that it makes the slaw behave badly. I salt upon use.

I usually let it refrigerate several hours before use. I decorate with pimento's.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2007/06/08 07:06:55 (permalink)
    I presalt the cabbage after grating. Place it in a collander weigh it down with a #10 can and let it sit for awhile. Then a good rinse and let dry then proceede. This helps the slaw from turning soupy, for me anyway.
    I use a mayo and plain yougut mix rather than milk, this helps also, nice and creamy. Chow Jim
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2007/06/18 18:01:41 (permalink)
    Smokey Bones is SOOOOO good they are all closing,
    steveindurham
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2007/06/26 12:30:32 (permalink)
    On Memorial Day went to a cookout where they had crunchy cole slaw made with sunflower kernels. It was most excellent. Shel.led sunflower kernels. Added a great texture to the slaw.
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2007/07/08 15:41:54 (permalink)
    Interesting slaw recipes!

When I make slaw I cut half the cabbage a fine Julienne (very thin and about 1-1/2" long) and the other half I grate on a box grater. I use grated shallots instead of onion (if I have em), and sometimes use flavored vinegar (such as rasberry vinegar) instead of cider or white.
    And like Sundancer said ... I let it sit in the icebox for a good 4 hours!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2007/07/09 20:40:15 (permalink)
    And for more recipes,,, check this link..

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12437

For mine, I use cabbage (NOT PURPLE)--, white onion, carrot, finely diced green bell pepper, miracle whip, white vinegar, sugar and creamy horse radish sauce to give it a little kick...sometimes I dice up the green tops of green onions for some more color.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2007/07/09 22:39:08 (permalink)
    Tara, and here I thought you were the queen of the red cabbage!
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 511
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2007/07/09 22:58:55 (permalink)
    Here's a great article and a bunch of recipes from the Charlotte Observer!

http://www.charlotte.com/439/story/184001.html

Tara did you ever try the Maryland Fried Chicken?

I heard a rumor that they haven't changed their oil since they
    opened, just keep adding when it gets low!
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2007/07/09 23:27:55 (permalink)
    to add just a bit of umph to my slaw , along with the splash of vinegar and a pinch of sugar- I add a touch of prepared horseradish. I also thin out the mayo with a little milk and use celery seed, a good smoky paprika and fresh ground pepper, mixing all the ingredients together and pouring over the thinly sliced green cabbage and onions (shallots are good too, if I have them on hand).
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Need a cole slaw recipe 2007/07/10 13:21:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Captain Morgan

Here's a great article and a bunch of recipes from the Charlotte Observer!

http://www.charlotte.com/439/story/184001.html

Tara did you ever try the Maryland Fried Chicken?

I heard a rumor that they haven't changed their oil since they
    opened, just keep adding when it gets low!

..I know what our oil looks like at my work after a week.
    Jim, are you talking about the chain?.. One in Conway near me... Have not tried it yet........
    I heard something about another place that hasnt changed their oil..I just dont get it...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1