Need a little advice on whole ribeye/prime rib.

Author
Relentless
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
2009/12/11 20:59:28 (permalink)

Need a little advice on whole ribeye/prime rib.

Had a catering job come up for tomorrow & while the menu has changed several times, it is etched in stone at this point.

Prime rib it is... & since the local wholesalers are completely out of the pre-cooked versions, I bought 4 whole lipon rib-eyes this afternoon & will cook them tomorrow....on the FEC-100. They weigh about 14-15 lbs. each.

Anybody here ever done these things whole? Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance.........John

8 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    Re:Need a little advice on whole ribeye/prime rib. 2009/12/11 21:38:02 (permalink)
    I've done them in a commercial oven, and a pizza oven for that matter..  Slow and low has always been my favorite, keep them juices secured in the meat.
    One place had me use a paring knife and cut little slits on the top side and put the garlic slices in, then season with kosher salt and pepper, topped with sliced onions...  Another place had me put it in a pan, a little water, top it off with Lawrys & mesquite seasoning, and pepper.
    Guess the main thing is to season it to your taste, then monitor the internal temp.. Personally I'd cook it on the rare side, maybe mid rare, since when you end up finishing it off the temps will rise per customers request... And if you're using a smoker, I'd guess you'd be firing it right about now!
    Keep us posted...

seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Need a little advice on whole ribeye/prime rib. 2009/12/12 01:02:26 (permalink)
    I have done smaller 5-7lb. rib roasts using a kosher salt crust. You can season it with whatever you want underneath and then put the salt down in the pan and bone side down and then put a nice layer of koser salt on top!

Remember to remove the brown crust before serving but it would put on quite a show cracking the crust and then removing it and slicing!
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Need a little advice on whole ribeye/prime rib. 2009/12/12 01:03:44 (permalink)
    Wow I just looked at the amount you have and I would have to say that is a ton of salt that I just told you to buy....sorry!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10198
    Re:Need a little advice on whole ribeye/prime rib. 2009/12/12 03:01:59 (permalink)
    When you mentioned  the FEC-100, I assume you mean the Cookshack Smoker, correct?? Yoiu might want to go to the forum on their web site and post your question there. Their Customer Service # is only good from M-F.
    Relentless
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Need a little advice on whole ribeye/prime rib. 2009/12/12 07:29:39 (permalink)
    Foodbme...Yes, Cookshack smoker. I've already done that...like to get more than one opinion:-)
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Need a little advice on whole ribeye/prime rib. 2009/12/12 11:13:27 (permalink)
    How do you want it cooked, med rare, well, etc.?

Relentless
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Need a little advice on whole ribeye/prime rib. 2009/12/13 10:24:47 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

How do you want it cooked, med rare, well, etc.?

I pulled them at 130°-135° and put in the Cambro where they held for about 1 1/2 hr., then sliced immediately before placing in the chafing dish on the serving line.

They were pretty good, but a little more done than I would have liked. I may have mis-judged the preferences of the guests a bit also. I had more requests for "rare" than I would have thought...and no one asking "can you throw this back on the grill" :-)

Observations & Lessons:

Quit stressing about cooking this cut. Yes...it is an expensive piece of meat, but it is dead easy to cook. These ribeyes averaged about 15 lb. apiece & I was able to get all 4 of them on the FEC-100 smoker at the same time & still have room for 2 whole pork loins that I put on about mid-cook. Set the cooker on 300° & I had two that came off at 5 hrs. and two at 6 hrs. Should have pulled them a little quicker.

If anyone cares, I placed each ribeye in a full sized hotel pan...into which I had thrown a big handful of coarsely chopped carrots, celery and onion. They were generously coated with a Tone's Garlic/Rosemary seasoning.

Should have taken some pics when they came out of the smoker....just busy & forgot. I would do them again...for fun or money:-)

John

joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re:Need a little advice on whole ribeye/prime rib. 2009/12/13 20:49:48 (permalink)
    should have commented earlier...sorry, was busy and didn't have time.

always under cook meat when you're going to be holding it in a warmer - it'll keep cooking even if only on a low setting.

always aim for rare to medium rare for prime rib - even those that usually like their beef well done like this one much less so!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1