Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Need a new idea for hamburgers

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 56 of 56
Boss 302

• Total Posts: 11
RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Mon, 02/5/07 1:49 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339

How about an old-time freshly-ground flavorful burger, something that has been lacking the past few years. Something the food police won't be coming after to tell me the fat ratio isn't up to government standards. Something that the fast food places haven't cheapened by squeezing every ounce of flavor out of by cooking them until they resemble shoe leather. That's what I want in my burger - forget the additions. Just a good, honest-to-goodness, juicy burger that I grew up on.

Oh yea! we still make those! and that is by far the best seller. We use sirloin tip or blade meat for all of our patties.
It's just that some people want a flavored pattie.
I'll try some of your ideas this week and let you know if I'm on to something.
Thanks

mland520

• Total Posts: 485
    RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Mon, 02/5/07 2:05 PM (permalink)
    Montreal seasoning w/grilled onions and a small slice of your favorite cheese- inside the burger! Awesome!

caver

• Total Posts: 104
      RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Mon, 02/19/07 6:29 PM (permalink)
      Peeled diced apple for the milder tastes, apple sauce works but usually has other things in it if pre-prepared.

Mango and habanero for the rest of us.

PepperPhil

• Total Posts: 335
        RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Sun, 03/4/07 5:31 AM (permalink)
        SCROUNGE BURGER...

Combination of ground chuck & ground turkey

1/2 Burger oven broiled

Topped with

Fresh mushrooms
        Carrot slices
        Cucumber slices
        Hot Mustard ( Prefer Chicago Heat)

All atop a fresh Onion Roll

Garnish with a Kosher dill pickle slice and chips

2005Equinox

• Total Posts: 219
          RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Mon, 03/26/07 2:02 AM (permalink)
          I had something a little unusual but very good. From Festival Foods. It is a hamburger with shredded chedder cheese and bacon pieces ground into it. Very good.

guacshorts

• Total Posts: 78
            RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Mon, 03/26/07 4:50 AM (permalink)
            Had a burger here in Eugene, OR at the Flying Dog Cafe, fresh made patty, was marinated in red wine and hint of rosemary -- wasn't given the full recipe though.

Tasted incredible. Must have been sirloin...

Also, as someone stated above, stuffed burgers are great. Blue cheese or gorgonzola.

As a kid, I used to always take my hamburger, take off the top bun, line up a row of crisp french fries across the top of the fixings and throw the lid back on. Mmmm. Wonder if you can stuff a burger with an appropriately cooked potatoe crisp/french fry/pommes frites so that when cooked the combination is just right...

Cinnabonbon

• Total Posts: 149
              RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Mon, 03/26/07 10:28 AM (permalink)
              Interesting article about Jucy Lucy / Juicy Lucy. I've been making the Canjun Lucy for years and didn't know it. "the Groveland Tap in neighboring St. Paul serves a "Cajun Lucy" featuring jalapeño peppers floating in pepper jack cheese."

Along with the Cajun Lucy, we like to make wasabi burger, using meat, wasabi,minced onion & soy. My kids favorite was bacon cheddar burgers, A burger stuffed with a slice of cheaddar & bacon bits.

efuery

• Total Posts: 630
                RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Mon, 03/26/07 11:00 AM (permalink)
                My inlaws frequently get pre made chicken burgers that have sun dried tomatoes and parmesan cheese and other "italiany" spices in them. They are quite good

I've done turkey burgers with finely chopped vegetables mixed in (carrots, zucchini, onion, garlic, broccoli, red pepper). I really like them. Sometimes an egg and a slice of bread is needed to hold the mix together though.

As for beef burgers I mostly leave them alone but will occasionally add some chicago seasoning from Penzeys, chili sauce and worcestershire sauce. . The chicago seasoning has a nice smokey flavor that I love. According to their catalog, Penzey's chicago seasoning contains: salt, tellicherry black pepper, sugar, garlic, onion, lemon zest, citric acid, and natural hickory smoke flavor. I imagine if you mixed these spices yourself and added a drop of liquid smoke the taste would be similarly good.

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
                  RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Mon, 03/26/07 11:07 AM (permalink)
                  I have made "jerked" burgers in the past... cooked them over hickory wood and were fantastic. I try to play around with different combos... even did a jerked ribeye with the liquid in the marinade being dark rum. They were really good, and tender.

Dennis in Cary

Wintem01

• Total Posts: 205
                    RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Mon, 03/26/07 11:19 AM (permalink)
                    My wife introduced me to mashed potato stuffed burgers. Basically takes two patties, cups them in her hands so it kind of makes a shallow bowl, fills with mashed potatos and sticks them together. Makes for an interesting change.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                      RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Mon, 03/26/07 1:15 PM (permalink)
                      We have a new BBQ place that opened in town 2 weeks ago, today I tried their blue cheese burger that comes with olives. I had them hold the lettuce, tomato and onions. Nice sized, thick burger cooked on a grill!

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                        RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Mon, 03/26/07 1:29 PM (permalink)
                        I like salsa, especially if it's not tomato based. I'll make some with applesauce and onions and peppers and whatever's in the cupboard, although that's more a meatloaf in my opnion.

One trick I did during grill season is: Chop up some cukes and tomatoes until it's 1/8 to 1/4 inch dice and mix half olive oil and half vinegar until it's got some consistency. Spice it up with whatever you like, but I do onions, green peppers, and garlic with a twist of the pepper mill. That's a relish, especially for guys who despise pickles (like Big Ugly Mich), and will also do as a salad in a pinch. I'm going to try that with sour cream or yogurt like some of our Polish and Middle Eastern friends do, only they just slice the cukes, spice it up and call it salad. I had a friend serve this as a salad for a Passover seder and loved it. The funny thing is, neither of us is Jewish, so we don't technically celebrate Passover.

guacshorts

• Total Posts: 78
                          RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Mon, 03/26/07 2:02 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

I like salsa, especially if it's not tomato based. I'll make some with applesauce and onions and peppers and whatever's in the cupboard, although that's more a meatloaf in my opnion.

One trick I did during grill season is: Chop up some cukes and tomatoes until it's 1/8 to 1/4 inch dice and mix half olive oil and half vinegar until it's got some consistency. Spice it up with whatever you like, but I do onions, green peppers, and garlic with a twist of the pepper mill. That's a relish, especially for guys who despise pickles (like Big Ugly Mich), and will also do as a salad in a pinch. I'm going to try that with sour cream or yogurt like some of our Polish and Middle Eastern friends do, only they just slice the cukes, spice it up and call it salad. I had a friend serve this as a salad for a Passover seder and loved it. The funny thing is, neither of us is Jewish, so we don't technically celebrate Passover.

similarly, to this relish i sometimes add jicama, or even papaya, especially during hot southwest summers.

sounds good.

NoreeneMc

• Total Posts: 7
                            RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Wed, 04/4/07 12:03 PM (permalink)
                            All the ideas already given are great but I thought I'd give you another idea to ponder. I put crushed french fried onions and diced mushrooms with a little worshershire (sp?) sauce in the meat and mix it all up real well then make my patties and put them on the grill. The burgers are fantastic! Hope you at least give them a try!

steveindurham

• Total Posts: 138
                              RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Thu, 04/26/07 4:48 PM (permalink)
                              I made some turkey burgers with crushed garlic, peppers and onions inside the ground turkey patty. Really makes the patty much more tasty and juicy.

eggsactley

• Total Posts: 128
                                RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Sat, 04/28/07 3:53 AM (permalink)
                                I like to make a burger with my meatball mix...50% beef, 25% pork, 25% veal, eggs, garlic, parsley and pecorino romano cheese.

PhoenixNick

• Total Posts: 12
                                  RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Tue, 05/22/07 12:41 AM (permalink)
                                  fresh green chile + chedder: melted and poured over the burger.

BigGlenn

RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Tue, 05/22/07 6:51 AM (permalink)
                                    Hamburger Patty with a actual Piece of Ham in it. Something similar to Chicken Cordon Bleu
                                    but call it Hamburger Cordon Bleu. I know the spelling is wrong.

I always wanted to make two flat patties. Pile every thing on top of one patty like lettuce,
                                    onions, tomato's, cheese, mustard ketchup, pickles and mayo if you want. Lay the other patty
                                    on top pinch the edges together to form one big patty. Grill it, place it on a Bun and call it:

“Big Glenn’s World Famous Out Side In Burger”

Trademark May 11, 2007......My Birthday LOL

Good Luck

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                      RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Tue, 05/22/07 7:39 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by BigGlenn

Hamburger Patty with a actual Piece of Ham in it. Something similar to Chicken Cordon Bleu
                                      but call it Hamburger Cordon Bleu. I know the spelling is wrong.

I always wanted to make two flat patties. Pile every thing on top of one patty like lettuce,
                                      onions, tomato's, cheese, mustard ketchup, pickles and mayo if you want. Lay the other patty
                                      on top pinch the edges together to form one big patty. Grill it, place it on a Bun and call it:

“Big Glenn’s World Famous Out Side In Burger”

Trademark May 11, 2007......My Birthday LOL

Good Luck

Big Glen,

I did that with chopped red onion and cheddar cheese between two patties pinched together.

It was great.

John

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                                        RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Tue, 05/22/07 2:32 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by NoreeneMc

All the ideas already given are great but I thought I'd give you another idea to ponder. I put crushed french fried onions and diced mushrooms with a little worshershire (sp?) sauce in the meat and mix it all up real well then make my patties and put them on the grill. The burgers are fantastic! Hope you at least give them a try!

I certainly will give this a try. They sound very tasty. I love the crushed french fried onions, love mushrooms and wor. sauce to all together they must be great. Thanks for the combo.

menu_me

• Total Posts: 4
                                          RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Wed, 05/30/07 9:22 PM (permalink)
                                          One of my favorite restaurants has "the inside-out burger", which is stuffed with cheddar and bacon. Yummy.

Foxyfishy14

• Total Posts: 192
                                            RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Tue, 07/17/07 11:03 AM (permalink)
                                            This may sound gross...but I've heard of many places putting Peanut Butter on their burgers...it may be worth a try!

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
                                              RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Tue, 07/17/07 11:11 AM (permalink)
                                              Foxyfishy14,

That is called a Guber burger.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2257

Foxyfishy14

• Total Posts: 192
                                                RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Tue, 07/17/07 1:35 PM (permalink)
                                                I Know it has been reviewed here, but has anyone here actually tried (and enjoyed) the peanut butter on a hamburger? I've been intrigued when I've heard of it in the past, but never tried it.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                                  RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Wed, 07/18/07 6:54 AM (permalink)
                                                  A friend use to spread peanut butter on cheaper cuts of beef before grilling. It would tenderize the meat while cooking, always came out very good with no PB taste.

SimAli9702

• Total Posts: 2
                                                    RE: Need a new idea for hamburgers Sat, 08/25/07 6:10 PM (permalink)
                                                    Hi, I'm not sure if it's too late to reply to this or not. I am a new member (having only recently found this site) and thought I would reply with my vote :) I am always up for a "contest" and some fed-ex burgers would be welcomed anytime in my beef loving house!

My vote goes to a variation on the burger that my family likes quite well.

They are simply named: Meatloaf Burgers (original, huh?)

For mine I use the following ingredients:
                                                    (side note, my recipe makes 4-5 burgers)

1 pound of Ground Beef (I've played around with "leaner" versions, but am always disappointed in the final product)

1 medium/large Onion - diced and sauted until almost caramelized. (I prefer, what we here in the south call, "Vidalia" onions. They saute up quite nicely and have an undeniable sweetness to them.) I don't know if the "Vidalia" is widely available, if not, you could of course substitute a large yellow onion to achieve very similar results.

1 medium/large Green Pepper - diced and sauted with the onions.

Garlic - fresh is better, I think, or powder if fresh isn't available

1 small can of tomato paste

1/2 small can of diced tomatoes

4 tablespoons of ketchup

1 tablespoon of plain yellow mustard

2 large eggs

handful of bread crumbs or finely crushed crackers

1 cup of finely shredded cheddar or jack/cheddar cheese

salt/pepper to taste

2 teaspoons of cooking oil (I like Canola or Vegetable) *This was an ingredient I only recently decided to add to my burgers. It really helps keep everything together when forming and cooking.

large sesame buns or my favorite, ciabatta bread. (If you are not familiar with Ciabatta, find a bakery in your area that makes it. Soft, slightly chewy, airy and just an all around wonderful taste).

Put all ingredients into a large mixing bowl. The only way to mix this properly and evenly is to "dig in" with your God given spoons (aka fingers). Only mix this until "just" combined. I've quickly learned that "over" mixing isn't a myth and will affect the finished product in the way of "texture".

Form into round patties of equal size or square patties if you use my personal favorite bread for these (the ciabatta roll).

That's it. Just fry em up (I prefer skillet over the grill) to your liking and top with your favorite condiment (my husband says no condiments, but he doesn't really know what's good).

I like to have mine on a lightly toasted ciabatta along with a generous amount of mayonnaise and some more grilled onions on top (for the "top" onions, I prefer sliced, not diced, like the inside).

I'll sometimes even melt some cheddar down over the top just before placing it on the bun.

NOT healthy, but certainly worth every calorie for the "splurge".

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                      Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 56 of 56

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com