Need help! Fix my meatloaf!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2375
Re:Need help! Fix my meatloaf! 2013/04/13 13:55:17 (permalink)
A good meatloaf is basic, I don't use anything buy ground beef. I think 80/20 mix is good, you meed fat to get the juices moving. for each pound of meat, I use one egg, bread crumbs, granulated garlic, Woo sauce, parsley flakes, chopped onion, salt & Pepper, grated parmesan cheese, ketchup. I haven't used a recipe in many years, I add everything and look for the texture I want.........The last meatloaf I made needed some help, the meat was to lean. imho, the amount of fat in the ground beef is important, I can't see how using a lean beef mixture would make a good meatloaf. Most Chefs don't use recipes, we do everything by, smell, texture, feel, taste and appearance..........If you are dealing with a leaner meatloaf, I would try cooking it slower and lower temp. What you want is to keep the juices in the meatloaf, not running out..........pnwc
              P.S. If Edsails becomes a vegetarian ad Michael H looses his sarcasm, this site is going to Hell in a hand basket.
post edited by pnwchef - 2013/04/13 14:44:57
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3968
Re:Need help! Fix my meatloaf! 2013/04/13 15:27:42 (permalink)
ann peeples

Ed-Bob hates zucchini-I have been known on occasion to grate some in the meatloaf-good idea with carrots!

The carrots work really good because then you can tell your guests that it is a "healthy" meatloaf. With the carrots also, they tend to overlook the 16 strips of bacon layered across the top.

" />
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6767
Re:Need help! Fix my meatloaf! 2013/04/13 19:30:14 (permalink)
pnwchef

A good meatloaf is basic, I don't use anything buy ground beef. I think 80/20 mix is good, you meed fat to get the juices moving. for each pound of meat, I use one egg, bread crumbs, granulated garlic, Woo sauce, parsley flakes, chopped onion, salt & Pepper, grated parmesan cheese, ketchup. I haven't used a recipe in many years, I add everything and look for the texture I want.........The last meatloaf I made needed some help, the meat was to lean. imho, the amount of fat in the ground beef is important, I can't see how using a lean beef mixture would make a good meatloaf. Most Chefs don't use recipes, we do everything by, smell, texture, feel, taste and appearance..........If you are dealing with a leaner meatloaf, I would try cooking it slower and lower temp. What you want is to keep the juices in the meatloaf, not running out..........pnwc
             P.S. If Edsails becomes a vegetarian ad Michael H looses his sarcasm, this site is going to Hell in a hand basket.

If Ed becomes a vegetarian and MH looses his sarcasm I'm going back to Alaska.
I make a meatloaf that is just OK.  MH on the other hand makes a WONDERFUL meatloaf.  I don't watch when he's doing it........one less thing I have to cook!!  He does put peppered bacon on top.  I make the gravy, the smashed potatoes and the veg and clean up. 

EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3968
Re:Need help! Fix my meatloaf! 2013/04/13 23:53:49 (permalink)
pnwchef,
For your sake I promise to always eat my meat.The closest I get to being a vegetarian is to always order eggplant parmigiana at an Italian restaurant.
Ed
mrclean
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
Re:Need help! Fix my meatloaf! 2013/04/14 00:43:24 (permalink)
Hello ROHfan- The Best and simplest meatloaf I have ever had is as follows-

1 pound lean ground beef 2/3 cup milk 1/2 cup cracker crumbs 1/4 cup ketchup 1/2 cup finely chopped onion 1 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon black pepper 1 egg, beaten
Preparation: Mix all ingredients together gently. Form into a loaf and place in baking dish or loaf pan. Top with more ketchup if desired. Bake at 350° for about 1 hour.
Serves 4.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Need help! Fix my meatloaf! 2013/04/14 12:08:33 (permalink)
mrclean, 1 lb. of meat serves 4 people? Got to be at least 2 lbs. or 4, so you can have cold meatlof sandwiches the next day!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1