Need some suggestions for a Texas style Sausage I'm going to have made.

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6175
2010/07/18 11:37:12 (permalink)

Need some suggestions for a Texas style Sausage I'm going to have made.

Mt. Airy Meat Locker in Mt. Airy, Maryland, has agreed to make a sausage for me to smoke, as long as I provide the seasonings and recipe. I'm thinking 50 lbs. to start, a garlic,  jalapeno Beef/pork combo, I don't know sausage, what seasonings would you add, quantity for 50 lbs. would be a help! Any other suggestions? All beef? Beef/Pork, what % of each? Thanks!

6 Replies Related Threads

Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 334
    Re:Need some suggestions for a Texas style Sausage I'm going to have made. 2010/07/20 22:50:26 (permalink)

I'm a big fan of the sage and crushed red pepper variety with a 2:1 pork to beef ratio.  For 50 lbs it would be something like:

32 pounds pork butt with fat
    16 pounds beef chuck or round; with fat
    8 large onions; minced
    48 cloves garlic; minced
    16 tablespoons fresh sage; minced
    8 tablespoons salt
    8 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
    16 tablespoons crushed red pepper
    8 teaspoon cayenne (
    if you want hot sausage, otherwise leave it out for "mild" although it still has a bit of heat from the pepper flakes)
    We prefer to use cayenne rather than Jalapenos because it is more consistent and easier to handle.

We have eaten this sausage for many years and it's good either smoked or air-cured.
    post edited by Treetop Tom - 2010/07/20 22:55:46
    DougS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 475
    Re:Need some suggestions for a Texas style Sausage I'm going to have made. 2010/07/21 08:33:52 (permalink)
    There are a lot of questions to be answered before you make sausage. Mainly, what are you looking for? Breakfast sausage, grilling sausage for sausage on a bun, smoked sausage...Well you get the idea.

I make a breakfast sausage that I got out of an old Virginian cookbook. I make a small batch of 10 lbs at a time. My Grandchildren love it.

Perhaps you can trial a few recipes before risking 50lbs.
    You can easily mix a small batch by hand.
    doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:Need some suggestions for a Texas style Sausage I'm going to have made. 2010/07/21 09:10:20 (permalink)

My take on the sausages that I have had from the places in Elgin follow a basic German/Polish sausage style course grind.
    Black pepper is a main component and should be visible. This is also true for most BBQ sauces in this area.
    There are beef and pork/beef styles and yes, some variations appear; throw in a few jalapenos for a spicier version.
    I think that reproducing a Texas style sausage should be easy as long as you keep it simple.

Southside Market ships via mail order. They are the gold standard around here.  www.southsidemarket.com
    I think that getting some various styles will be a delicious education about what you are seeking.

mark
    post edited by doggydaddy - 2010/07/21 12:38:44
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Need some suggestions for a Texas style Sausage I'm going to have made. 2010/07/21 12:29:37 (permalink)
    Real Texas sausage should be mesquite smoked. And yes Chewer, jalapenos are a must. :~)
    Joe
    Reaper
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    Re:Need some suggestions for a Texas style Sausage I'm going to have made. 2010/07/24 00:17:17 (permalink)
    If you are going to smoke sausage you need the cure (sodium nitrate) unless you are making a cooked sausage, 80/20 meat to fat or your sausage will be dry,  6 oz salt (if you cut the salt back your sausage will be tasteless) and 3 oz seasonings ( each one) per 10 lbs and adjust seasonings to taste, this is a rule of thumb. I would go to these websites and ask questions and casings and supply web sites are included also.

The best sausage making forum http://forum.sausagemaking.org/

Sausage God Len Poli http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/

Linking sausage goto how to link sausage http://www.btinternet.com...vir/sausagemaking.html

Sausage making supplies http://www.butcher-packer.com/

Any questions ask away

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10107
    Re:Need some suggestions for a Texas style Sausage I'm going to have made. 2010/07/24 01:00:50 (permalink)
    They're a bunch of Texas Smoked Sausage recipes on this link including Hot Links.
    http://www.bbq-porch.org/recipes/html/C6.htm
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1