Need suggestions for mexican food

Author
leenadiwan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2004/09/24 14:05:03 (permalink)

Need suggestions for mexican food

Hi,

We have a mexican restaurant we would like to try out. But do not know what exactly. Does anyone has any suggestions as to what we can try?

We are quite comfortable with chillies , so that should not be a problem.

Regards,
Leena

9 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18493
    RE: Need suggestions for mexican food 2004/09/24 14:16:22 (permalink)
    Carnitas (braised pork often served on tortillas), chile relleno (poblanos stuffed with cheese), enchiladas (tortillas filled with various things including beef, pork, chicken,cheese and combinations thereof), burritos (tortillas filled with a combination of meat and beans or rice and meat, etc.), carne asada (basically, marinated steak, grilled and thinly sliced, served with tortillas and various condiments).
    leenadiwan
    Junior Burger
    RE: Need suggestions for mexican food 2004/09/24 14:35:39 (permalink)
    Oh thank you Michael, that was a quick reply!
    As I know what it is by your descriptions, we can try them out.

Thanks again!

Regards,
    Leena
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18493
    RE: Need suggestions for mexican food 2004/09/24 14:50:34 (permalink)
    You're very welcome. There are lots of other great dishes to try, too. An appetizer of quesadillas is always good (flour tortillas folded over cheese and baked), as is chile con queso, which is a white cheese melted with good things and served as a dip.
    leenadiwan
    Junior Burger
    RE: Need suggestions for mexican food 2004/09/24 15:14:28 (permalink)
    Thanks!
    We will try them out.
    Regards,
    Leena
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Need suggestions for mexican food 2004/09/24 18:14:46 (permalink)
    Good to see Michael mention flour tortillas. Corn tortillas are usually used in tacos and enchiladas. Burritos, however, are usually wrapped with flour tortillas.

Chimichangas may not be authentic Mexican, but they can be so delicious. Some call them "fried burritos," although they're usually smaller. Flautas, on the other hand, are usually, but not always, made with corn tortillas. Both are usually filled with shredded meat or cheese, fried and then "sauced" with guacamole and sour cream. May I suggest when they ask you if you want your chimichangas stuffed with beef or chicken or (better yet) either white or yellow cheese, just say, "Yes, one of all the above."

Here's how I like to illustrate the delicious difference between corn and flour tortillas. The chips you get before you order will most likely be of corn, and have a rich, well, corn taste, while should you have a flour tortilla that's either fried or baked, you'll notice a delicate flavor with a flaky texture. Enjoy!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4044
    RE: Need suggestions for mexican food 2004/09/24 18:18:26 (permalink)
    A good way to try various things might be to try a few soft tacos, topped with various meats. Carnitas, al pastor (marinated pork), carne asada and chicken are all good to try. Don't forget the seafood too--------shrimp cocktail (or abalone or octopus, or a combination of all) is a very popular dish there, and usually huge!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Need suggestions for mexican food 2004/09/24 19:31:25 (permalink)
    Chiles rellenos is my Mexican restaurant test meal. If you don't want to take a chance, you can usually get them in a combo plate with other things. But they are really good when well done (not too much batter, crispy on the outside, made with poblano chiles, good quality stuffing) and really awful (thick, soft, greasy batter, tasteless filling and/or chile) when done badly--so they are very revealing about the restuarant's kitchen.
    downtown
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Need suggestions for mexican food 2004/10/06 18:24:36 (permalink)
    I quest for the perfect taco shell. found them at Jorge's in Austin. can't find them at home. corn tortillas, bubbly and hot, soft but don't tear, crunchy but don't crumble.

we do, however, have the perfect chiles rellenos here. they are so good, I crave them the next day.

for me, the kitchen test is the carne guisada.
    Charlie1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Need suggestions for mexican food 2004/10/07 23:07:10 (permalink)
    Corn tortillas are generally used instead of utensils, or sort of as edible utensils, in Mexico. They're for sopping up gravey and pinching up meat and such.
    The next time you visit, DT, I'll take you to Nuevo Leon - the tacos are even better than Jorge's.
    I have never been a huge fan of Chiles rellenos. They always sound better than they taste in my experience.
    But Curra's Puntas de Filete in a spicey red sauce - yum. I squeeze a little lime and salt it up and eat with tortillas. Heaven.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1