Neophyte to all this biz

Author
RedRiverBarbecue
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/11/27 00:01:10 (permalink)

Neophyte to all this biz

Hi,

I'm brand spaking new here, and glad I found the place.

My name is Carl and I own and (will soon) operate Red River Barbecue Smokehouse, a food trailer in Eugene, OR.  I'm originally from Oklahoma, and have lived and traveled all over the place, not specifically looking for barbecue, but I've sure enjoyed it when I've found it, and I do in fact love all varieties and regions of Q, not just that from around my home state.

I have never been this involved in food service.  I'm over 40 now, but I was a typical fry monkey at McD's, and worked the grill for a few years in college before moving to pizza.  But I never did more than cook the limited menu, no management, no inventories or accounting or anything other than minimum wage kind of stuff.  So here I am, dipping a toe in the restaurant biz with a food cart, self financed, in the hopes of having fun with something that might actually pay for itself, rather than those other hobbies (cars, guns, boats, home theaters and other electroinics) that always seem to soak up cash with no hope of every gaining anything from it besides entertainment.

I'm about 95% done with my trailer, with the long list of little loose ends to tie up that seems to take as long and as much money as all the big stuff that was obvious.  I've had my fair share of hiccups and setbacks, but hopefully I'll be open by the beginning of the new year, just in time for the off-season, HA!

Anyway, I'm glad I'm here, and I'll prolly be asking around some questions now and again so I don't screw up too badly.

2 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4009
    Re:Neophyte to all this biz 2011/11/27 09:06:24 (permalink)
    Just remember that there is no conflict between keeping customers and the health department happy.

Godspeed and Welcome to Roadfood!
    pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2359
    Re:Neophyte to all this biz 2011/11/27 11:17:04 (permalink)
    RRB, Welcome to Roadfood, I wish you the best in your new adventure. I'm a few hundred miles down the road from you, if I can help in any way, just yell......................pnwc
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1