New BBQ Competition Coming to Tn.

Author
Mr.Pig
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
2005/02/24 09:15:44 (permalink)

New BBQ Competition Coming to Tn.

I as I understand it, there will be a new BBQ competition coming to the Tri-Cities area and specifically Johnson City this year. It will be sponsored by a large wholesale house. More news as it becomes available, but I am on the competitors list for sure.

"Wood, fire, smoke, and meat, the time tested method"

Herr Pork Meister

2 Replies Related Threads

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: New BBQ Competition Coming to Tn. 2005/02/24 09:27:10 (permalink)
    Will it be a sanctioned contest? If yes, which sanctioning body?

John
    Mr.Pig
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: New BBQ Competition Coming to Tn. 2005/02/26 09:14:52 (permalink)
    I am not sure as yet. This is a giant corporate gig and they are still keeping the details close to the vest. I would hope so but if they do get a sanctioning body involved it may knock out some of the small operaters and create confusion by inviting well travelled big names off the circuit which would distract from the local entrepreneurs for which this competetion is designed to showcase.......as I understand it.

I have not participated in a sanctioned event to date but I believe in my heart that my ribs would stand up to the test. I just don't like the frenzy associated with these type events. Once upon a time I thought that I would like to qualify for "Memphis in May" and dreamed of creating such a sanctioned event in Northeast Tennessee that would be recognized as a qualifier for that event. I'm so busy now, that dream has lot a bit of its allure.

I have been to such events as a spectator and it takes away from the personality and dedication of the Pit Boss by having to spread yourself so thin and the reality of making enough money to pay for your expenses. Noteriety does not pay the mortgage at the end of the day.

I hope that this is just for the locals at the outset to keep the national road teams out for the sake of continuity and sanity.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1