New BBQ Joint in NYC

Author
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
2008/02/14 10:39:51 (permalink)

New BBQ Joint in NYC

Need some of you NY's to check this place out. Ray Lampe is very well known in BBQ circles, kind of surprised to see him there.

http://www.southernhospitalitybbq.com/index.asp

13 Replies Related Threads

rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: New BBQ Joint in NYC 2008/02/14 11:06:02 (permalink)
    Well; if that great pitmaster Justin Timberlake is involved...

I have yet to be truly happy with any BBQ in the city (except for Dinosaur), but my daughter lives about a dozen blocks north of there, so maybe I'll stroll by one of these days.
    Ron
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: New BBQ Joint in NYC 2008/02/15 11:46:27 (permalink)
    Southern Hospitality opened in July, 2007. Local restaurant critics gave it mixed reviews. They never mentioned Ray Lampe. So, I decided to go over the web site with a fine tooth comb. The web site doesn't say Ray cooks there or works or even eats there on a regular basis. It says that he is the Executive Chef. McDonald's has executive chefs. They don't work at that McDonald's down in the seedy part of town next door to the crack house. The Southern Hospitality web site says you can visit with the pitmaster at his official blog. There is a Chef's Blog section on the SH web site, but it is "Coming Soon", ever since last July. Ray Lampe has his own web site. There is no blog there, either. We have a chain of BBQ joints in this town called Dallas BBQ. They don't BBQ on the premises because they would stink up the whole neighborhood. They have a central commissary. Southern Hospitality is in a building that probably has apartments above it. Unfortunately, I am not motivated enough to see how much of the BBQ'ing is done on the SH premises. I don't think Justin Timberlake waits on tables between gigs, either. I'll wait until I hit the Carolinas before I open my wallet for BBQ.
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: New BBQ Joint in NYC 2008/02/15 14:05:36 (permalink)
    Yeah, what he said!

I did look at the website's menu- real, authentic NYC prices, that's for sure.
    Ron
    drbbq
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: New BBQ Joint in NYC 2008/02/16 09:08:40 (permalink)
    Hi guys,
    Here's the deal.
    SH opened in August, 2007. I had nothing to do with it, didn't know anyone involved and had no interest in it. Apparently they got off to a great start because of who they were but the food never got up to par. A couple of non-BBQ chefs and a few months later they decided to get serious about the BBQ. After a little research they found me and asked me to join the team.

As of January 2nd I'm the Exec Chef, and there is a strong restaurant consultant with a BBQ background working with us as well. No, I don't work there full time but I've spent 4 weeks there so far this year and will be there as often as I can. (I've got a couple other big commitments this year) We've changed the rub, sauce and cooking techniques and trained the staff. I consider the BBQ we are serving to be very good right now. My favorite item is the dry ribs, although there isn't a lot of sauce on any of our food. The food is cooked daily, 100% on site in a couple of giant Cookshack smokers. We use cherry and hickory for flavor, but don't expect smoke belching food because I don't believe many people really like that.

Sorry about the blog not being up yet but it'll get there. Sorry also about my website. I've got a full revamp coming this spring.

All the best,

Ray Lampe
    Dr. BBQ™
    motoeric
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: New BBQ Joint in NYC 2008/02/16 13:59:04 (permalink)
    I've posted here a few times about BBQ in general and NY in particular. If Ray is now involved with Southern Hospitality, I'm going to try it. Simple as that.

I have a short list of BBQ places to visit while in Manhattan. They include Hill Country, Daisy May's and RUB. That list now includes Southern Hospitality. Ray is the real deal and I've never known him to be less than honest. If he is involved, I'm checking it out.

Eric Devlin
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: New BBQ Joint in NYC 2008/02/16 17:40:45 (permalink)
    Hello Ray, one of your rare visits to RF?

Did you get a look at FE's new pellet cooker at the Lakeland Pig Fest? I watched that thing go from 170º to 675º in 6-7 minutes, that's impresive.
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: New BBQ Joint in NYC 2008/02/16 17:43:13 (permalink)
    Hi Ray,

When you are subjected to so much restaurant hype in this town such as for that $1000 pizza:
    http://nymag.com/daily/food/2007/03/1000_pizza_brilliant_or_just_a.html?gs-index
    you tend to be more careful in deciding how your spend your dining-out dollars.

Thanks for discussing your work at Southern Hospitality. I'm going to visit sometime soon. It is reassuring that a real pitmaster is directing the kitchen, rather than a marketing guy. That is the trouble with too much food in this town, both in restaurants and sold at retail. These busineses are run by marketing guys rather than food guys.
    drbbq
    Junior Burger
    RE: New BBQ Joint in NYC 2008/02/16 19:31:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

Hello Ray, one of your rare visits to RF?

Did you get a look at FE's new pellet cooker at the Lakeland Pig Fest? I watched that thing go from 170º to 675º in 6-7 minutes, that's impresive.

I check in once in a while. Got those 14 posts over the course of a few years I guess. Yes, I've been following Eddy's new adventure for a while and it looks real good. Eddy is a sharp guy.
    drbbq
    Junior Burger
    RE: New BBQ Joint in NYC 2008/02/16 19:43:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by David_NYC

Hi Ray,

When you are subjected to so much restaurant hype in this town such as for that $1000 pizza:
    http://nymag.com/daily/food/2007/03/1000_pizza_brilliant_or_just_a.html?gs-index
    you tend to be more careful in deciding how your spend your dining-out dollars.

Thanks for discussing your work at Southern Hospitality. I'm going to visit sometime soon. It is reassuring that a real pitmaster is directing the kitchen, rather than a marketing guy. That is the trouble with too much food in this town, both in restaurants and sold at retail. These businesses are run by marketing guys rather than food guys.

Yeah, the NY dining scene is quite an adventure. Like I said, they had all the hype any place could ask for, and still do, but they realize that good food is what will make it last. They also have aggressive expansion plans and they thought a credible pitmaster was a good idea.

FWIW I've followed the NY BBQ growth and it's been interesting. I'm pretty sure I can hold my own though. I just hope people will take us seriously.

I've also eaten in a lot of fake and bad BBQ joints so I understand the suspicion, but Southern Hospitality is the real thing.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    RE: New BBQ Joint in NYC 2008/02/17 11:36:35 (permalink)
    Personally I think the prices are laughably high, New York or not. If your doing the volume you don't need to soak the public.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: New BBQ Joint in NYC 2008/02/17 14:41:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chewingthefat

Personally I think the prices are laughably high, New York or not. If your doing the volume you don't need to soak the public.

The prices are consistent with other places in NYC and not that much different from BBQ places I have been to in other cities. As I think I once read somewhere...good food ain't cheap, cheap food ain't good.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    RE: New BBQ Joint in NYC 2008/02/17 14:43:58 (permalink)
    New York has been called the Gourmet Food Capitol of America...and that's because,most places,high prices withstanding,serve superb food!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: New BBQ Joint in NYC 2008/02/17 14:50:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

New York has been called the Gourmet Food Capitol of America...and that's because,most places,high prices withstanding,serve superb food!

That hasn't always held true as far as BBQ goes, where high prices have often NOT resulted in good BBQ.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1