The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New BBQ in Canada eh! Help

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 31
BBQCanuk

• Total Posts: 23
New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Sat, 01/21/12 12:06 PM (permalink)
First thing, is I want to say how informative this forum is.  I have been spending a lot of time going through it and found so much great information.

I have moved away from the rat race in Alberta to a beautiful laid back place in Nova Scotia.  After two years of looking for a way to eke out a living I have purchased a small take out.  Originally, my heart was pretty set on a mobile unit so I could go the festivals and events as you pretty much have to go where the crowds are in the summer.  The food regulations are strict here and with no commissary's in site, the mobile unit is out of the question - unless you do just hot dogs and hamburgers.

I have worked in many different environments from restaurants when I was younger to upper management in accounting.  I am certainly am not looking to making a lot of money, but definitely have to cover my costs and make a little for myself.  Purchasing this take out gives me the commercial kitchen to prepare food and sell at the festivals.  It is only a block down the road from where I live, so it is very convenient.  Also, I do not have to factor least costs as an expense (I paid cash), just all the other overhead costs such as taxes, insurance, power etc. I will only be open from May through September and probably open only four days a week - maybe Thursday to Sunday for lunch and supper. 

The take out restaurant before only sold hamburgers, fries, milkshakes etc.  I felt I needed to draw people out so have decided to do the BBQ route.  I did not want to compete with the other small fish, chips, burgers and fries places.  Since I am focusing on BBQ I am purchasing a Southern Pride smoker - the small electric one with the wood chips.  I have heard great reviews about this smoker.  I am also limited on what smoker I purchase as it have to be approved for commercial use (Canada is strict again), which is probably why we do not have the BBQ places up here like down in the southern states.  Another reason I thought of the BBQ is that whenever I try a pulled pork or BBQ ribs here - I must say it is pretty disgusting.  I think the pulled pork is done in a crock pot and ribs are done in the oven with a ton of liquid smoke.  I know I cannot compare to the BBQ in the states but I want to make the best I can up here within the guidelines I have.

The equipment I have right now is a 48” flat top, two fryers, a single gas hot plate, freezers, fridges, ice cream freezer and a triple milkshake stand.

I do have so many questions as I want to avoid as many mistakes as possible.  Do I ask these here in the professional forums or????  Like the ice cream thing, is it really worth while to have milk shakes as the prices are really going up for the dairy (here anyway) and I can’t see people paying $4.00 to $5.00 for a milkshake.  The freezer takes up a lot of space and not sure if it is worth it.  I was doing to ditch the fryers, but found out this is where you make a lot of your money, so I am looking at just doing the french fries only so my oil can keep longer.  Nothing worse than having fishy oily fries.

I also have questions about holding product from the smoker.  If I was going to a festival about 1 hr away, what is the best way to reheat the pulled pork, buns etc.  Since you have to rent a 10’ x 10’ space I am limited to what I can sell.  Least I will be different from the burgers and hot dogs.  The Wharf Rat Rally in Digby has over 100,000 people attending, so I have to be able to serve fast, but also want a good quality product.  The town had also called meetings as there is not enough food places to feed the amount of visitors.  This goes on for five days.  The smoker would be pretty busy. 

Is it a good idea to have certain nights for ribs, another for chicken etc.  I do not know if it is good to smoke chicken and ribs at the same time.  At the take out there will not be big crowds like the festivals.

Any help is so greatly appreciated.   I am nervous but very excited on this venture.  I am looking forward to working this type of environment, but what to get it right. 

The first time I had REAL BBQ was 15 yrs ago when I went to Texas for meetings.  We had a choice to go out for lunch or have BBQ.  Well, being Canadian, BBQ to me was char grilled like hamburgers, so we went out.  When we got back I saw what actual BBQ was from the leftovers.  After that I was hooked.  There are so many of us up here that do not know what BBQ really is.  This is why I think it would be a good seller here, but again, I want to do it the best I can with being limited to the health regulations we have here.

Sorry for the long introduction but wanted to fill in the blanks as much as possible.

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
    Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Sat, 01/21/12 1:33 PM (permalink)
    Don't ditch your fryer's, there's lots of stuff to fry that goes really well with BBQ. Hush Puppies comes immediately to mind. And I'm not unfond of fried zucchini. A pulled pork poutine might go over well, too. As for smoking multiple items, go for it. Most BBQ joints smoke different meats together at the same times, so I wouldn't worry about that. Sounds like you might just be going to fill a good niche! Best of luck!

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
      Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Sat, 01/21/12 2:05 PM (permalink)
      Welcome to Roadfood I hope we give you some well needed help. BBQ isn't something to just walk into ad be good. It's a process of making mistakes and getting it right. If your going to do BBQ, I would suggest pull pork, it's a lot more forgiving than ribs and brisket. You could offer pulled pork sandwiches, beer battered onion rings, fries, I also would not give up the idea of a few hamburgers. what do you think about offering exotic sausages like, caribou, reindeer and so on. These could be something different in your area. As you get better at the BBQ smoke idea, you can offer more varieties in the take out...............I would not open a business unless I was sure my BBQ was the best........We have a person on this site 'Chewingthefat" that has a BBQ restaurant in Maryland. PM him and ask him some questions, he may save you some time and a few beginners mistakes...................the best.............pnwc

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Sat, 01/21/12 2:24 PM (permalink)
        Welcome Cunuk, your already ok in my book just by the name you choose. And a close 2nd  your choice of foods, very good.

I have a southern pride and they are great smokers for any meat or even cheese. Yes you can smoke different meats at the same time but you shouldn't smoke chicken above any other meats.You don't want chicken dripping on ribs,shoulders, or brisket.

At an event with that big a crowd your going to need to pre prepare a lot of meat and use your smoker more like an oven for reheating. Unless you have some other source to reheat your product. Pulled pork will keep in a fridge for a long time as long as it's in a good sealed freezer type bag.

It's interesting that most in of our northern neighbors don't know what good BBQ is like. That means your going to have to educate your customers so they don't just turn up their nose at the thought of another BBQ place. With that thought in mind I would suggest you read everything you can on the hows and whys of BBQ and repeat it to every customer that will listen. Then you become the BBQ go to guy.

Good luck

Jack

PS since your up there would you tell these guys to stop sending me emails? LMAO

RE: ON - LINE :canadian pharmacy-

<message edited by Dr of BBQ on Sat, 01/21/12 3:40 PM>

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
          Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Sat, 01/21/12 5:48 PM (permalink)
          Welcome Canuk, Feel free to call me at my Restaurant, 301-447-3322, I type with 1 finger so it takes me forever to answer.
          Pork Products first, learn internal temps, Your Southern Pride will come with a manuel that is spot on with the temps. Pulled Pork, is your best mark up, get a good rub, make it or buy a good commercial rub, same with your sauce, start with Ketchup, then the list can be endless as far as condiments to add to make your sauce memorable.
          Create a killer Chili
          Make a new soup every week
          Do incredible burgers and Dogs, I guarantee your competition do forgettable ones
          Do your own twice fried French Fries, blanched, then cooled, then finished at 375 degrees
          Much, much more, gotta run, call me if you want to!
          Best of Luck,
          Tom Caulfield

BBQCanuk

Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Tue, 01/24/12 10:46 AM (permalink)
            Thank you Dr.  for your advise - my brain has been on overload last couple of days.  I am leaning towards the Southern Pride model SC200 over the DH 65.  Being able to smoke cheeses, vegetables and fruit gives you further options on your menu.  Great tip on putting chickens below your pork when smoking - I didn’t think of that.  I have to learn the triple “T”s - time, temperature and technique.

For the big events it sounds like the best thing is to keep it limited and what you can serve fast - pulled pork is the best option to serve.  I would not have my smoker to keep the pork warm, so I have to look at what is the best way to keep it warm and/or heat it up quick.  I see some of the pulled pork in sauce already but hear the better way is to squeeze the sauce on top. I am sure it is a matter of preference, but I don’t want to lose the pork flavor by it swimming in sauce.  Also, I see here that people put the coleslaw on the side (in a soggy paper cup).  Down in the states I see that the slaw is put in the bun.  Should it be served the way it should be eaten?  I am also thinking it would be best to have propane equipment as some sites do not have power.  Not sure to keep it heated in warming pans or throw it on a flat top.  What would be the best bun to use for pulled pork.  I am not a baker but am looking at a local baker doing this for me - some people like the potato buns and others a sweet bun.   I think I would prefer a bun that can be versatile for pulled pork, chicken and burgers.

I am in the process of tracking down local suppliers.  Looks like for the back ribs I will go with the maple leaf - they sell very reasonable in the cryovac package.  Now another question - these are not portion controlled - they are different weights.  What is the best way to do this - weigh them before they go in the smoker.  Is this where you get the rib tips on the small end pieces? A Pandora's box of questions.

BBQCanuk

Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Tue, 01/24/12 11:25 AM (permalink)

Hi Tom:
              Great suggestions.  I plan to do test runs on the smoker for sure before I open for business.  I think the pulled pork, chicken and ribs will be good sellers.  The decision has been made to certainly keep the fryers.  I want to make the best fries possible and the twice fried is the best hands down.  I plan to make my own rubs and sauces.  I already grow my own herbs and like experimenting with different spices.  I have to be careful for the heat/spice on products here as majority of people here do not like spicy.  I did a killer mango chipotle BBQ sauce that everyone loved (even though they did not know what a chipotle was).  I want to use local ingredients as much as possible, so thinking of doing a peach chipotle sauce as one option for sauces. 

I love making soup but didn’t think about selling it.  Again, I make a killer pea soup - only with smoked hocks and roasted vegetables with my own stock.  I do add chili flakes and cumin - not spicy but just a hint.  My hubby can eat gallons of it.  I am also thinking of a soup with smoked salmon -  not sure yet.  Possibly also a clam chowder - there is a guy down the road that commercially sells clams.  I have to sell the bucket of mussels though - they are very reasonable to buy, keep well in the fridge and easy to make.  Right now you can only buy in restaurants around here, but I can sell pretty reasonable at the take out.

For the burgers, I wish I can serve burgers from the free range moose we have - but it is not legal.  So, beef burgers it is, but I have to think of great condiments for them - smoked cheese, smoked grilled onions?????  House mayo?

The chili I am not sure about as it is not as popular here as down south.  I will check into the chili idea more.  I am trying to keep menu items limited so I can turn the food quicker.  I am stumbling at the sides though.  So far I am looking at fries and coleslaw.  Not sure if that is enough.

I know you are a busy guy, I am not in a big rush for answers, just trying to nail down my options.  Thanks so much again for your professional advise.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Tue, 01/24/12 1:07 PM (permalink)
                Sides: Potato Salad, Baked Beans, Mac and Cheese, Collard Greens, Kraut, Corn Bread, Green Beans with bacon, Mashed Taters/Gravy. I also do a sliced new potato fried with sausage and onions, my second most in demand side. Baked Beans #1. If you make B. Beans, include a goodly amount of Pulled Pork.

stubby77

• Total Posts: 491
                  Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Tue, 01/24/12 2:17 PM (permalink)
                  Whenever I eat at a bbq joint (which I do not do nearly often enough since my wife isn't that into it), the sides I go for are mac & cheese, corn on the cob (often they will smoke that in the smoker, oh my is it good), or sweet potato fries. I'm not a fan of cole slaw, but you need to offer it. One place I went years ago used to take big russet potatoes, cut them into wedges, coat them with dry rub, and smoke them. Now those were good, and really unique.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Tue, 01/24/12 11:03 PM (permalink)
                    I hate to be the bad guy here and if I'm wrong I will apologize in a heartbeat. But from the questions your asking I have to ask have you ever smoked meat before? If not don't just jump into this thinking it's easy it's not. Get the smoker of your choice and cook some food in it. Lots of food so you have it down to a science. Then start thinking about your timing and how many people you can serve an hour. After that come back and we will help you fill in the holes. But without that experience your going to dig a hole and end up with a bad rap and no one will try your food. Just some thoughts.
                    Jack

BackAlleyBurger

• Total Posts: 1077
                      Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Tue, 01/24/12 11:31 PM (permalink)
                      some of the best pulled pork bbq i have ever had was three days after a party..... bbq was in baggies in the fridge, pulled one out, dumped right into a hot cast iron pan, squirt a little secret sauce on it, flip it like hash, as soon as the fat looks translucent get it on a bun and prepare for mouthgasm :)

so yea, i agree with wholeheartedly with preparing it ahead of time, bagging it into single, or maybe "6 pack" sizes..... and showing it some love on the flat top :)

Chicnscoop

• Total Posts: 291
                        Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Wed, 01/25/12 11:15 AM (permalink)
                        Gotta have beans with my bbq.

Check with your HD to be sure how you can package and store your q.

Last year when I smoked my ribs for our annual pig roast I put the ribs into 2 aluminum trays - 1 went out to be served immediatly and the other went into the warming drawer in the kitchen for holding. We did not end up needing the second tray with the pulled pork tray but with the ribs sitting in the warmer covered with foil the ribs got waaay better than the first tray. I recommend letting them sit or prepare them the day before and store properly.

I wish I could q for our business but I am totally sure the HD would never approve my home built smoker so I only use it for personal use.
                        <message edited by Chicnscoop on Wed, 01/25/12 11:16 AM>

BBQCanuk

Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Wed, 01/25/12 1:07 PM (permalink)
                          Hi Jack - no problem.  I guess it is some of the terminology I am learning.  Example, when I buy back ribs, that is all I get.  Wasn’t sure what rib tips were as I have never had them or seen them in a restaurant up here.  We call them rib-lets up here and are usually used for stock or garlic ribs.  I have had home made smokers where we usually did whitefish, salmon, pork chops and turkey.  Any slow cooking was done in a pit - both in the ground and on a spit.  I have had the passion for cooking over 40 years so I am determined to make the best possible product to sell. 

There are zero BBQ places where I live.  Town council here does not allow any franchises at all, which is a good thing, but the food selection is extremely limited.  Mostly fish, chips and chinese foods.  So, just looking for advise and suggestions getting my menu together so I know what equipment I need.  I will not be opening the take out till May, so I have time to practice with the smoker.  I will not serve any food that I am not proud of. I have already found such great information and ideas.  Looking at your delicious food pics - that is my ultimate goal.

pnwchef

Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Wed, 01/25/12 5:53 PM (permalink)
                            I agree with the good Dr, The Dr is good at what he does and knows the importance of practice, trial and error, working with your smoker like it's your best friend. I have been in this business for over 30 yrs, I go to the good Dr and Chewy for all my smoking questions. Your friends will tell you they like your BBQ, the public is much harder to please. When you go into business and BBQ is your money product, you need to be the master of the pit. We are not ragging on you, we just know how hard it is to succeed in this business................pnwchef

BBQCanuk

Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Thu, 01/26/12 10:19 AM (permalink)
                              Such great advise and ideas you guys have.  Unfortunately, I do not have 30 years left on my lifespan to have that BBQ experience, so I really appreciate advise from the experts.  I agree, everyone can say what great food you have but the proof will be in the cash drawer. 
                              It  is good to know that the pulled pork is forgiving on being kept for 2-3 days.  Some foods are better the next day.  I am not planning on smoking brisket until I get a good handle on my smoker. 
                              What I see selling at the local markets are buckets (huge ones) of sauerkraut, so if people are eating it here I plan to have that as a side/topping.  After seeing the pictures of pulled pork and kraut I could not get that food out of my head for days (curse you chewingthefat).  Darn, now I am thinking about it again.  Bologna is another thing they sell here - huge long tubes of it.  I see smoked Bologna looking pretty good also - a good alternative to the hot dog.
                              It is great after having a ton of possible menu items I am able to narrow the items down - even a few good ones I did not even think of.  My place is just a small take out and I will have busy and slow days there.  I am trying to prevent food waste so keeping the menu limited, my food should turnover quicker.

BBQCanuk

Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Thu, 01/26/12 10:42 AM (permalink)
                                Here is a picture of my take out in Nova Scotia.  Yes, you even have a view of the Bay of Fundy coming into the Digby Gut and see the ferry that goes from Digby to St.John NB.  I plan on having picnic tables built (painted red).  There is a covered porch, with bench seating but not enough room for tables.  Tons of room for parking though.  There will be lots of motorcycles from the Wharf Rat Rally and I know these guys like to have their bikes in view.  I need the good draw to get these people to my take out - which is about a 50 minute drive around the Annapolis Basin from Digby and 15 minutes from Annapolis Royal.  It is a great scenic drive with heritage sites so I should get that traffic also.  I am thinking of handing out single page flyers (and posting them) showing a map where we are located and describing the food I am selling.  Not sure what else would be good to do.
                                  (oops - cannot post the picture yet)

<message edited by BBQCanuk on Thu, 01/26/12 10:45 AM>

pnwchef

Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Thu, 01/26/12 11:58 AM (permalink)
                                  Cool looking Take out restaurant, I think the picnic tables are a great idea. I hope you do well................pnwc

ricoboxing

• Total Posts: 33
                                    Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Tue, 01/31/12 9:07 AM (permalink)
                                    BBQCanuk

For the big events it sounds like the best thing is to keep it limited and what you can serve fast - pulled pork is the best option to serve.  I would not have my smoker to keep the pork warm, so I have to look at what is the best way to keep it warm and/or heat it up quick.  I see some of the pulled pork in sauce already but hear the better way is to squeeze the sauce on top. I am sure it is a matter of preference, but I don’t want to lose the pork flavor by it swimming in sauce.  Also, I see here that people put the coleslaw on the side (in a soggy paper cup).  Down in the states I see that the slaw is put in the bun.  Should it be served the way it should be eaten?  I am also thinking it would be best to have propane equipment as some sites do not have power.  Not sure to keep it heated in warming pans or throw it on a flat top.  What would be the best bun to use for pulled pork.  I am not a baker but am looking at a local baker doing this for me - some people like the potato buns and others a sweet bun.   I think I would prefer a bun that can be versatile for pulled pork, chicken and burgers.

lots of people sell pulled pork at big festivals in Toronto, and we usually just keep them warm in chafing dishes with the gel warmers. Those things get pretty hot, so temps won't be an issue. I will be selling Kalua Pork sliders along with my Hawaiian BBQ Skewers, and that's what I plan to do.

These festivals will be a good way to get people to go to your drive in.

BBQCanuk

Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Thu, 02/2/12 2:27 AM (permalink)
                                      ricoboxing

BBQCanuk

lots of people sell pulled pork at big festivals in Toronto, and we usually just keep them warm in chafing dishes with the gel warmers. Those things get pretty hot, so temps won't be an issue. I will be selling Kalua Pork sliders along with my Hawaiian BBQ Skewers, and that's what I plan to do.

These festivals will be a good way to get people to go to your drive in.

Thanks RICO
                                      I was wondering what is the best way to warm up the pulled pork.  I do like the idea of the chafing dishes.  I was wondering if a smaller propane flat top would be good, like to heat up the buns and pork?  There are not any festivals around here right now, so I cannot check it out.

ricoboxing

• Total Posts: 33
                                        Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Thu, 02/2/12 7:49 AM (permalink)
                                        yup a propane flat top will do the job. At the big festivals around here, they just keep all the pulled pork in large chafing dishes, and put them on buns. Then you could use the flat top to grill the sandwiches (if thats what you do).

kman160

• Total Posts: 160
                                          Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Fri, 02/3/12 9:39 AM (permalink)
                                          I use those big roasters, they are adjustable so they burn & they hold a bunch of pulled pork.

Teej

• Total Posts: 19
                                            Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Fri, 02/3/12 12:40 PM (permalink)
                                            I don't think anyone answered your question about serving slaw on pulled pork sandwich or not so I'll give it a go. Here in Georgia, it can go on the sandwich or on the side. I prefer on, while my mom hates it that way. I would ask customers how they prefer it and not assume.
                                            Also, you mentioned sour kraut. I've never had it with pulled pork, but my family loves it fried with smoked sausages. Goes great with beans and fried potatoes.
                                            One last thing, I will echo the comment about baked beans. They are a must for any BBQ establishment. My favorites are cooked on the smoker.

pnwchef

Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Fri, 02/3/12 1:22 PM (permalink)
                                              I wouldn't serve slaw on the sandwich. I didn't grow up with slaw on my sandwich, I would never order it that way either. Your in a area that isn't  real BBQ savvy, I would offer cole slaw, I wouldn't start with it on the pulled pork sands..............pnwc

BackAlleyBurger

• Total Posts: 1077
                                                Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Fri, 02/3/12 6:37 PM (permalink)
                                                here in north carolina you have to request it be left off the sandwich..... its just part of the sandwich

BBQCanuk

• Location: Granville Ferry NS C, XX
                                                  Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Thu, 02/9/12 11:35 AM (permalink)
                                                  I want to thank you all again for all the great ideas and advise I am getting.  It sure helps talking to people that know what works and may not work.  I do not want food thrown away, especially seeing that there are a lot of people that do not like coleslaw.  Serving it on the side does make it a little easier when doing big events - I can have it already in the little containers.  I also like the idea of having the sauce on the side for the pulled pork also.  I am planning on having a regular BBQ sauce and one featuring local fruit (blueberry, peach, cranberries etc).  BBQ is fairly a new thing here but people seem to like the fruity with very mild sweet heat sauce.  Beans for sure, I love the idea of adding the pulled pork to it. 
                                                  I am going to look for a portable flat top for the festivals.  It would enable me to toast the buns a bit inside (so the pork does not make it soggy).  Would it work having steam plans directly on the flattop to keep the pulled pork warm.  I would have to reheat first, so I could do that on the flattop before I put in the warming pans.  It is a great idea having the pulled pork in the zip lock bags ready to go.  Do you think it would be better to have the sauces (regular BBQ sauce and another feature one) in squirt bottles so people can do it themselves, or put it on for them? I am looking at the fastest way to do this as the more orders I can serve, the more I will be able to make.  This Wharf Rat Rally has more people attending and serving only a portion of these people is going to be a marathon.  I am also thinking of doing a breakfast there also, smoked bologna with egg on a bun.  I can make this for a reasonable price.  The problem with some of the vendors here is the huge inflated prices and I hear quite a few complaints - high price and lousy food.  I want people to come to my take out so I plan to have good food at a reasonable price. 
                                                  Thanks again, and I certainly welcome all advise.

pnwchef

Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Thu, 02/9/12 1:27 PM (permalink)
                                                    BBQCanuk, The cooked bbq pork doesn't have a lot of moisture in it, it doesn't hold well for long. You always want to hold it in Moist heat. That would be a dbl boiler/steamerpan, Think of steam hitting the bottom of the pan that has the pork, the dry heat of a grill will dry the pork out real fast. There are a lot of ways to accomplish this, we can talk about them later. I like the idea of having a few sauces in squeeze btls marked, reg,hot, spicy and so on. I don't like buying a BBQ pork sandwich with loads of sauce, I want to taste the pork and have the sauce compliment the sandwich, not over powder it. I have catered for more years than I like to think about, the quality of the food I served was accomplished by the attention I took to the hold the foods to maintain temperature and freshness........take care................pnwc

BBQCanuk

Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Thu, 02/9/12 5:28 PM (permalink)
                                                      Hi PNWC
                                                      Reheating the pulled pork when I am at events.  I cannot take my smoker, so I would have to smoke the pork the day before, pull and store in zip lock bags.  I have to reheat the product to internal temp. 140 before I can put in warming trays.  This is where I am getting stumped.  Since I have to drive minimum 1 hr away and there would not be time to transport heated (the amount I would have to have on hand is quite a lot). I cannot be guaranteed for power, so everything would have to be propane.  There is a 36" Big John portable propane flattop that you can put warming trays underneath (about $1000.00).  I want to best possible product to sell, which I think you have to get the taste of the BBB pork that is moist and tender - not dried up or boiled in a steamer with sauce.  I want to get the suitable equipment for this without breaking the bank.  There was a recipe on another site which was a finishing sauce which included vinigar, apple cider and spices. Put it in a squirt bottle to keep the pork moist.  I have negative comments that you ruin the pulled pork frying on flattop with sauce. 
                                                      Thank you again for posting my picture.  I am getting pretty excited to open.

Dr of BBQ

• Location: Springfield, IL
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Thu, 02/9/12 6:36 PM (permalink)
                                                        Canuk,
                                                        Don't take this wrong but I do not for the life of me understand why new people refuse to take advantage of all the information on this forum. You pose a question and then wait until someone answers it. Then because you can't do it the way they suggest you offer another question and wait again. That must suck!

Let me offer three thoughts/ questions:
                                                        Why not try a search here on RF? There was a thread about building a trailer and the installation of propane fired portable steam pans. If I had been in your shoes I'd have already done it so I didn't have to ask, wait, ask again.

How are you going to keep your pork cold while your driving it to the event? Why not do a search here (inverters, generators, & batteries) it's a topic already covered hundreds of times.

3rd and last question if you don't know how to reheat something as simple as smoked pulled pork your headed for a disaster at your first event. If you think I'm wrong go do a search for a thread started by a guy named Schmelly, he also refused to search and read and soon after he opened his doors he dropped off the face of the earth. I'll bet good money he folded like a cheap suit. So don't do that to yourself or your dream. Go find someone that is in the business and work for them for a summer or at least a couple of months.

The people that do vend food will tell you it takes practice and experience, and after 4 or 5 maybe even 7 years we still learn something new every year. It is a hard business, to master and it breaks up a lot of families and friends, not to mention bank accounts.
                                                        Good luck

kman160

• Total Posts: 160
                                                          • Location: Syracuse, NY
                                                          Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Fri, 02/10/12 12:21 PM (permalink)
                                                          I would rethink my whole concept. For pulled pork you need low & slow but you also need smoke. Without the smoke & mouthwatering aroma you are loosing out on my best marketing tool. I do many private parties & get other jobs from jealous neighbors thanking me for stinking up the neighborhood all day.

BBQCanuk

Re:New BBQ in Canada eh! Help Thu, 02/16/12 8:39 AM (permalink)
                                                            Thanks all for the suggestions for selling food product at events.  I already have a vacuum sealer so I can smoke my pork, pull it and put in the vacuum bags and bring up to temp. in boiling water.  I can then put the pork in the steam pans.  This seems the most cost efficient way to do it without drying out the pork.  Right now, I do not want to spend a lot of money on a trailer if I can find a more economical way to do this, which I believe I have, thanks to the suggestions that I received.

Hi Jack, while I do appreciate your constructive criticism, I want you to know that I have spent countless hours doing research on this site and others finding out the best way to accomplish selling food at festivals.  The internet is certainly a great tool to research, especially with people that are willing to help newcomers getting set up for business.  Everyone makes mistakes and finds new ways of doing things better.  This site benefits new people from making the same mistakes. You certainly have the advantage if you can learn from experienced people.  I've worked hard all my life so I am fortunate to pay cash for everything (land and take out concession for my commissary) and do not really need to make a big profit.  I am determined to make this work though, but will not have the money stress that would create family problems. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 31

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com