Author
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 942
2010/02/18 06:58:37 (permalink)

New BBQ place coming to Milwaukee in June

From today's OnMilwaukee.com: 

Smoke Shack will bring barbeque and more to the Third Ward http://bit.ly/aINY8D
[font="'lucida grande', sans-serif"] Smoke Shack, a collaborative venture between Joe and Angie Sorge (SwigAJ BombersWater Buffalo and Sullivan's), Scott Baitinger (Streetza), Robert Joseph (Joseph Property Development) and Flux Design, will replace MJ's, 322 N. Milwaukee St., early this summer.
MJ's will close when its lease ends at the end of March.
Smoke Shack will be the third project in the Historic Third Ward for Sorge who worked with Flux on Swig, 217 N. Broadway, and Joseph and Flux at Water Buffalo, 249 N. Water St. Baitinger will join the group bringing his creativity from Streetza and his marketing and public relations savvy from his agency "day job."
"We've learned a lot together as a group," said Sorge. "This project is more than a year in the works and, yes, it will be our third in the Third Ward."
Smoke Shack's team will revamp the entire building, transform the outdoor patio and utilize the plentiful parking that's owned by partner Robert Joseph.
Sorge promises a "funky, cool space" and that the group will "take a pretty unique approach" to the dining experience and the food.
As for the barbeque, I'll have more specifics soon. But, with the quality of AJ Bombers, Water Buffalo and Swig and the addition of another food mind in Scott Baitinger, Smoke Shack should be able to more than take a creative spin on a tradition that's near and dear to Milwaukee's heart, BBQ.
Watch for Smoke Shack to open in "mid-June," according to Sorge.

6 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5045
    Re:New BBQ place coming to Milwaukee in June 2010/02/18 08:56:43 (permalink)
    Quick!  Let's have a bazillion posts planning a Contingent Outing!!

I wonder if the restaurant will be able to barbecue on-site using traditional methods or if things will need to be done differently due to air quality restrictions and regulations.  I see the excerpt features the term "creative spin", which could be good or bad.

Brad
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:New BBQ place coming to Milwaukee in June 2010/02/18 09:05:14 (permalink)
    I have a bit of inside info that they will be using smokers on-site.

Also, that they will most likely be open for weekend brunch (Brisket Eggs Benedict, anyone?).

I've also been told that they are going to focus on traditional sides, and that they are going to have vegetarian options (which I can't imagine, but perhaps a smoked Portabello mushroom cap with BBQ sauce or something...?).

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5045
    Re:New BBQ place coming to Milwaukee in June 2010/02/18 09:10:09 (permalink)
    I forgot that you're an insider now.

Sounds promising.  Just how much barbecue could The Contingent eat in a day and how many stops would it take?  Inquiring minds want to know...

Brad
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:New BBQ place coming to Milwaukee in June 2010/02/18 09:54:02 (permalink)
    I'm not "AN insider"!!
    I just happen to have inside info for this place. 

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4212
    Re:New BBQ place coming to Milwaukee in June 2010/02/18 13:32:02 (permalink)
    I believe the The Contingent could hit every legitimate greasehouse in Milwaukee and still have room for a couple of the Pie Diva's most decadent creations.  Unfortunately, Speed Queen is closed on Sundays, taking away the best of the bunch.

I'm always a little suspect of Barbecue joints created by a consortium, but I'd still be willing to give them a try with an open mind.  June is already a potentially busy month.  I'm looking ahead to organizing a tour sometime that month (theme to be determined), but I'm sure we could find a day where Milwaukee BBQ was the main focus.

Buddy
    stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:New BBQ place coming to Milwaukee in June 2010/02/18 16:22:18 (permalink)
    X1 Also, that they will most likely be open for weekend brunch (Brisket Eggs Benedict, anyone?).

My birthday is in mid-June. Why don't we plan on brunch on June 27th?

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1