New Build Electrical Question

Author
dailygrinders
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2011/10/18 18:09:12 (permalink)

New Build Electrical Question

Hi guys im new to the site. We're building a food truck down in Tampa. I'll post pics soon. Can anyone tell me if it matters if you run the electrical work before putting the walls up or after. I currently have insulation up and am applying FRP as we speak. Should i hold off for electrical?

6 Replies Related Threads

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2018
    Re:New Build Electrical Question 2011/10/18 18:20:14 (permalink)
    You need to find out if the electrical needs to be inspected.
    If it does and you bury it in the wall now....your screwed.
    Some states could care less, others are very specific.

BackAlleyBurger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:New Build Electrical Question 2011/10/18 18:49:49 (permalink)
    i agree......
    but at same time say put it in the walls, you want as little to clean around and under as possible.....and the HD in my area hates exposed conduit, they will live with it, but would rather have it in the walls instead of on..... plus it just looks a lot nicer when finished
    chefbuba
    Re:New Build Electrical Question 2011/10/18 19:22:19 (permalink)
    My area is just the opposite. HD has no say in the matter, it's building dept reg's, electrical must be exposed for inspection.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:New Build Electrical Question 2011/10/18 19:38:34 (permalink)
    You know in Springfield the electrical inspector did a drive by inspection and ok'd my trailer. I swear that's the truth. LOL

Every town is different and that's what I keep trying to tell new people you have to check local. I'm going to hide as
    much as I can on this build as I agree with BAB you want as little to clean around and under as possible. And you
    want as little as possible to collect dust grease and dirt.
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2011/10/18 22:52:49
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:New Build Electrical Question 2011/10/19 08:48:41 (permalink)
    I'm not sure why a building inspector is looking at your motor vehicle. That is up to the DMV and they don't care as long as your tail lights, headlights, and license plate light works. The building inspector in my town wanted nothing to do with it because its not a building - not his jurisdiction. I did the rough wiring but I had the final tie-in to the panel done by a licensed electrician anyway.

If you had the truck or trailer built by someone else would they inspect the wiring? I think not.

It is much easier to clean if the wiring is in the walls but tougher to make changes later so if its in the walls put plenty of recepts in now.
    post edited by Chicnscoop - 2011/10/19 08:52:01
    chefbuba
    Re:New Build Electrical Question 2011/10/19 11:12:56 (permalink)
    Move to Washington, we have this lovely branch of government called labor & industries. They have their fingers in everything from worker safety to building inspection.
    Detailed plans have to be submitted and approved before any work begins, then it is inspected THOUROUGHLY, just like any other structure.
    The plumbing was inspected, including,  # of P-traps in a run, slope of the run, venting, back flow prevention, gas was inspected, shut offs, type of pipe, regulator, electrical, # of outlets, load, wire size & type, gfi's in correct area's.
    Ensure that the required fire sire suppression system is installed and has been certified.
    There is a permanent inspection tag affixed to the exterior of the trailer showing that it was inspected and meets WA state codes.
    Like I said, every state/county/city is different, do your research before building.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1