New Build - Generator Idea Questions

Author
happyfood
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
2014/06/13 18:12:57 (permalink)

New Build - Generator Idea Questions

Hi Guys,

I am starting my build on a '78 Kurbmaster tomorrow when I pick the truck up.  I already own a cafe with an authorized kitchen and carwash which will serve as parking / prep base.  
There is only one thing I don't have figured out that is extra difficult and that is electrical.  Being outside the USA there are no hookups at any designated cites as food trucks are too new here.  Generator units are available are insanely limited to 2-3 models.

I need to run a handful of things which I calculate to be around 3500 watts.  I need a surge up to 4400 to be safe.  As a result I plan to go with a 5500+ generator for growth.  My initial idea was 2x Champion 3100 inverter generators and run one per side of the truck and distribute the load.  The issue is no inverter generators are available locally and importing them is a big issue (but possible just insanely costly)

Locally I have available A-iPower 3500 watts and also Honda Powermate 7000 watts.  I have not heard either run except on youtube and they sound insanely noisy.  The idea is to keep insane noise to a very minimal inside the truck, putting the generator far away is not a viable option.

What have you all done to reduce gen noise when operating?  Where could I mount these to keep things quiet, I have already considered:

-Roof - unsafe / vibrations
-Back end - close to my serve window no good
-front end - bad idea due to horrible collisions here in this country .... people drive poorly 

8 Replies Related Threads

Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:New Build - Generator Idea Questions 2014/06/13 18:30:02 (permalink)
    I'm mounting mine off the back end. The exhaust will be ported away from the customer side, and the entire thing will be enclosed in a sound deadening box.

happyfood
    Junior Burger
    Re:New Build - Generator Idea Questions 2014/06/13 18:33:55 (permalink)
    Midnights have you started yet? Any idea how the enclosure will affect things? I heard generators need lots of ventilation or else they can overheat? I know the inverter models can be semi enclosed but not sure about a normal gen 
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:New Build - Generator Idea Questions 2014/06/14 02:06:40 (permalink)
    I'm not finished with my build yet, but I've seen a bunch like it. It will be well ventilated so it won't overheat. YouTube is full of videos of people who have made them for their homes, and I've seen many food trucks with a similar set-up (a bunch on this site).
    happyfood
    Junior Burger
    Re:New Build - Generator Idea Questions 2014/06/14 03:09:36 (permalink)
    Midnights - thanks for the info.

I did some youtubbing, looks good in garages but i'd be curious to see how it sounds on the actual truck.
    Does anybody have any video clips or pics of their gen setup on truck, or any links to such?

I have seen some onans mounted in RV like compartments but they are extra quiet.

The champion 3100 inverters I saw are quiet but if I can use a normal gen locally available and make the noise acceptable I'd save over 2,500 on my build which would be awesome since I can invest that in other stuff. 
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2070
    Re:New Build - Generator Idea Questions 2014/06/14 08:02:58 (permalink)
    Much of the gen noise is though the exhaust.  Extend the exhaust pipe to above the truck roof.   Then the noise & fumes will be above everyone head.   The noise level (db) reduces with distance (about 6 dB per doubling of distance).   ...there are several youtube showing this and the extension pipe is required in many US RV camp grounds if running gen sets are allowed.
    happyfood
    Junior Burger
    Re:New Build - Generator Idea Questions 2014/06/17 16:47:53 (permalink)
    Ok thank you edwmax.  I have the truck now ... just brought her home yesterday.  I plan to start the build soon, will do a thread, the generator I plan to conceal with 24" breathing room and do a roof line pipe and see if that helps keep it semi quiet.
    foodiefiction
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:New Build - Generator Idea Questions 2014/07/18 00:28:45 (permalink)
    Good luck , happyfood! I have a front mounted troy bilt generator ,myself,that is ultra noisy. looking into possibly a super trapp muffler. you know, the propane fueled models are very quiet and burn super clean too. wish I had the option to switch myself, just bought my truck a month ago. former owner ran a propane line to the front mount in case they wanted to change in the future.
    Food for thought! best wishes, brother
    TamaleTrolley
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:New Build - Generator Idea Questions 2014/07/21 01:43:55 (permalink)
    Roof = vibration, unsafe...disagree.

After endless experimentation for two years I am so glad I finally put my 6500-watt on the roof. I set it up on isolated mounts (Honda Civic engine mounts I got from the junkyard for $2.00 apiece), there is far less vibration than anywhere else I have had the thing mounted. It is not unsafe (I welded it in place, it is not going anywhere). I thought it might affect the way the truck handles but it made no difference (Chev P30 14 ft). I have a plywood balcony set up around it which works wonders with sound mitigation.

Guys will spare no expense over their vinyl wraps and their menu boards but they will hang an open-frame generator on the front bumper and expect customers to somehow not be put off by the deafening noise. You have only one place to mount a generator where it is not in everybody's face (without cutting the truck I mean) and that is on the roof. It is a good idea, you should reconsider it.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1