New Cafe Job Issues. Anyone with similar problems?

Author
adbunting
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
2006/10/09 05:17:57 (permalink)

New Cafe Job Issues. Anyone with similar problems?

OK, I'll TRY to be as brief as possible...

I just started on at a small Tourist Cafe next to a National Park. Has about 30 tables.

I am the only cook 4 days a week. 2-am shifts and 2-pm shifts.

My server is a snowbird that 'owns' a restaurant in Alaska during the summer and has an 'I know it all' attitude. (However I seriously doubt if she's ever preped or cooked anything) She's also worked at the Cafe before so I think to her it's a 'seniority' thing.

The problem...

Yesterday we were slammed from about 4pm to 9:30. Continuous tickets AND it was my 2nd day. I kept getting the: Well JAKE would do it this way or that way and ... in addition she would call the tickets wrong, serve the wrong things to the wrong people and then wonder why a certain ticket wasn't done? I also want to point out that I've been cooking more than probably 30 years more than "Jake" has been alive.

OK, then at the end of the day here's the "good" part.

She never scraped a dish. Not ONE. The disher area was FULL of dirty dishes. Dirty dishes FULL of stuff.

Then she keeps mentioning that 'we' can't leave Jake empty. <kissy kissy> Somehow "Jake" is the be all and end all of cook existance. <he's a prima donna pig> I dunno, but the couple of evenings I came in after his AM shift it was a MESS. The grill and everything was full of c***. The entire flatware bin was full...

In any event, the translation from my server seemed to mean: I am now the official n-slave and supposed to prep all of the various vegetables, which ended up being EV RE THING for the lunch/dinner shift for days I'm not even there? Re-stocking all of the cold meats and cheeses, pull the frozen meats for the roasts, etc etc...

All of this AFTER an entire day on my feet from 2 to 10 pm. Didn't even have time to get a cold drink let alone something to eat.

Then after the last customers left and I am chopping my 4th bin of vegetables for the next day my server says to me: "I know you're busy, but you know that dishes are partly your responsibility".

OK, I was stunned beyond speach.

I just want to add that the instant I come in I find something that needs to be done and do it. INCLUDING scraping and cleaning f-ing dishes!!! I'd been doing that since I started.

I don't know about you but I found her comment totally uncalled for and out of line. I'm the cook. It's my kitchen. I think that "Jake" can prep some of his own s**t. I would also assume that a server would have a couple of seconds to scrape food off of a plate, put the flatware in the soaking sink, and put the dishes in the sink to be rinsed.

I, on the other hand, would have to re-wash my hands EVERY TIME I touched dirty dishes. Time I really didn't have?

Not to mention that at the end of the day I then had to clean the entire kitchen area, trash, grills, sinks, mop...AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! <ok...whew>

So, with that off of my chest, please lemme know what you think. This CAN'T be typical or acceptable and I need to know how to diplomatically handle it.

April

11 Replies Related Threads

doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: New Cafe Job Issues. Anyone with similar problems? 2006/10/09 08:12:04 (permalink)

There does seem to be some dysfunctional things going on here. Is there anyone actually running the place beyond this part-timer snowbird?
    If she actually owns a restaurant elsewhere, she should realize and act like it is a complete team effort. She should be able to help with the dish duties to -at least- scrape and stack the plates and throw some into the machine.
    When you run out of clean plates, and have no place to put the cooked food, you can now concentrate on prepping instead. This suggestion is kind of evil and has its own set of problems....

As to dishwashing duties, what strikes me is, why isn't there one? A good dishwasher keeps a kitchen running smoothly and is able to help with limited prep. A thirty table place should have one.

==== Somehow "Jake" is the be all and end all of cook existance. <he's a prima donna pig> I dunno, but the couple of evenings I came in after his AM shift it was a MESS======

Hey, I've met that type, they're part of this business as.....

==== I also want to point out that I've been cooking more than probably 30 years more than "Jake" has been alive. =====

Just last week I found myself in a position where a kid told me that I was going to have cook at a different station, contrary to what I was going to do. I came in to cover a shift for one cook, and this kid said "Oh no, I'm covering his station..." I wasn't going to argue about it. This gave him the opportunity to completely slack off to such a degree that it enabled him to listen to his I-Pod and B.S with the two dishwashers. But yeah, he was in diapers when I started cooking.

It was interesting as when I started this job, he said that if you are scheduled for a shift and station, you own it, but that night he decided that he did not want to own what he was supposed to do.

There are two High School kids who play on their Nintendo game machines and if you search the topic of 'Green Cards' you will read my comments there. Still, I am amazed at how they can tell me how to clean certain pots and steam table items. WHAT....!!!????

Still, I have to say that I feel that my current job is run exceptionally well, with many employees who have been there for years. Much of this can be attributed to the owner who really works it unlike so many that I have dealt with in the past. She is very hands on and works the back kitchen in all positions. Last Friday night, we did not have a salad/set-up person and she did it. And yes, she closed up and cleaned the station herself.
    If I wasn't busy doing what the dishwashers were supposed to do, I would have helped her too.

====This CAN'T be typical or acceptable and I need to know how to diplomatically handle it. ====

I haven't seen anything about the owner in your post. Where is this person in your story? Does this stuff go unseen? I'm going to take a guess that you are part of a long line of cooks who have gone through this place and came to their senses and said "Later..."

mark
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: New Cafe Job Issues. Anyone with similar problems? 2006/10/09 08:35:27 (permalink)

Management must be aware of the situation; absent any input from you they think you’re OK with it as is.

Meet with the manager, politely express your concerns, and ask for a job description outlining your responsibilities. Preferably written, if not available in writing, verbally. (This should have been covered during an interview). If the job description requires all of the above, on your own, you either live with it or resign. If the collateral duties require your participation with the server ask if he or she would please speak with the server about pulling their own weight.

It sounds as if the manager, server, and Jake, have developed a working relationship. If so you might not get a lot of help, at the very least it’s going to be an unpleasant atmosphere at work

Good Luck,

John
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: New Cafe Job Issues. Anyone with similar problems? 2006/10/09 09:40:31 (permalink)
    FIRE HER!!!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: New Cafe Job Issues. Anyone with similar problems? 2006/10/09 09:53:50 (permalink)
    Since when does a "server" tell the cook what his/her duties are??? It sounds to me that this place suffers from a lack of direction from the managment and probably ineptitude from the owner(s). The formula for a sinking ship. I would move on.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: New Cafe Job Issues. Anyone with similar problems? 2006/10/09 10:38:19 (permalink)
    First, let me say that I have not worked in a kitchen. However, I also have to say that I have never heard that a cook's responsiblities included washing dishes. Am I extremely naive, or is that the norm?

As others have said, I think that a face-to-face meeting with management is in order, as is a written list of your official responsibilities on that job. Just bear in mind that there is always some degree of "work-place politics" that one is not aware of when first beginning a new job. The server and/or Jake may have some kind of "in" with the management that allows them to get away with things that would not be tolerated in others.

If the management is not willing to correct what seems like obvious problems, you may want to start looking for a new position. Just don't leave this job until you have another one lined up.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: New Cafe Job Issues. Anyone with similar problems? 2006/10/09 15:50:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator
    I would move on.

I have to agree but only after beating the s**t out of the snowbird.
    littlebites
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: New Cafe Job Issues. Anyone with similar problems? 2006/10/09 18:35:56 (permalink)
    Bring your complaints to the owner, it's easier to find a good waitstaff, than a good cook. No help, move on.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: New Cafe Job Issues. Anyone with similar problems? 2006/10/09 19:25:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

quote:
    I would move on.

I totally abhor the idea of violence to women and that should not happen to this waitress. A good spanking on the other hand...

mark
    salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: New Cafe Job Issues. Anyone with similar problems? 2006/10/09 20:55:29 (permalink)
    During slow times after the dishwasher has been "cut", kitchen staff and servers generally try and keep the dish pit clean and the dishes flowing through.

Dumping unscraped dishes in the dish pit is totally unacceptable and I know no cook/chef that will put up with it even if there is a dishwasher on. It is the server's responsibility to scrape and stack the plates, rack the glasses and put the cutlery in a bucket to soak in cleaner before they go through the washer.

I agree with the others of informing management of the situation. I think you should also outline the way the things work in YOUR kitchen to this server. Kitchen should always receive the utmost respect. If she expects her food to come up in a timely fashion, cooked and plated with care, she'd be wise to clean up her act. This server would have been turfed from any of the places that I have worked.
    Scarlett
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: New Cafe Job Issues. Anyone with similar problems? 2006/10/09 22:05:33 (permalink)
    In my younger days I worked in a 'cafe' in Myrtle Beach, SC. It was a busy kitchen and none of this sounds normal to me.

I'd be inclined to RUN -- and not look back.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: New Cafe Job Issues. Anyone with similar problems? 2006/10/10 06:56:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by doggydaddy

quote:
    Originally posted by V960

quote:
    I would move on.

I totally abhor the idea of violence to women and that should not happen to this waitress. A good spanking on the other hand...

mark

Unless I'm mistaken the OP, April, is a female. They could emulate Daytona Beach during Bike Week by digging a pit out back, fill it with cole slaw & vegetable oil, and then wrestle in it.

John
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1