New Castle, PA Roadfood

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10517
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/12 14:24:21 (permalink)
SC-
You are someone who should probably be wearing a bib!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4330
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/12 14:25:43 (permalink)
leethebard

The "Pasta" looked average...can't speak,of course, for the taste, but....the bread wasn't real Italian,I looks like that American bread passing as Italian...and those meatballs are anemic in size. And the presentation is very American....TOO much sauce...in Italy they'd tell you that much sauce overwhelms the pasta....quality pasta has great taste,and to drown it in "gravy" is frowned upon. I agree. To this Italian, it looks like many restaurants trying to be Italian...While I never eat Spaghetti out,I know a good plate by sight. This is just one Italian's opinion. If you enjoyed it,that's what counts!!! And please, Spaghetti,or pasta, never noodles. Without tasting it,to me it looks like an American version of Italian food.

First, why would anyone "flag" this post?  For Heaven's sake! 

Further, leethebard expresses an opinion which is, frankly, valid.
----------------------------

Those who immigrated and 'manned the mills' of the early 20th. Century were, for the most part, Italian, Greek, Lebanese, and Syrian.  Over the years that unique mixture of cultures intermarried; "New Castle Cuisine" reflects that fact.

So, to be truthful and accurate, there is no "pure" Italian, Greek, Lebanese, or Syrian cuisine to be found in NeCa.  But, what is served there is damned tasty.

What became the "Italian Grocery" - Joseph's was founded by a Mr. Yusef, formerly of Lebanon, who 'anglicized' his last name.  It's now relocated as a boutique grocery, but in its heyday on Long Ave. it had two full aisles of pasta varieties for its largely Italian clientele; haven't seen the like before or since.  M&P Coney, P.O. Lunch, and various diners were mostly Greek.  The Syrians made the pastries, breads, and candies.

Here's New Castle's 'famous pizza'; even though the family is Italian, IMHO the pizza isn't.

Here is the famous hot dog emporium:

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/12 14:30:19 (permalink)
I'm really disappointed Lee's post got flagged.  That wasn't necessary at all.
JB-ME
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/12 14:36:57 (permalink)
Sundancer7
 sauce... More meat, less tomato, slightly salty and not very sweet.

Sounds like my kind of sauce, Sundancer. My biggest complaint about sauce is that it is too sweet, and I like it meaty, too.
BB--Yet another interesting writeup on two visits to an unusual restaurant. We all know of restaurants that are not open on Sunday, but to find one only open on Sunday is really different! Sounds as if the overall experience was an enjoyable one, and the food was really good, too. Real roadfood.
post edited by JB-ME - 2013/11/12 14:51:00
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18954
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/12 15:24:02 (permalink)
So, the idiot flagger ran out of toes to count.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3756
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/12 16:01:29 (permalink)
With all the flaggers and the posters labeling first time posters as spammers, this site has become very unfriendly.  There are too many self-appointed policemen here now and it is no longer as much fun to post or to read.  To bad for a once  great place.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/12 16:09:07 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Thanks everyone....I'm so confused. What offended people about my simple post??????? And who is going to man up about flagging it and tell me why?????????? 
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4568
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/12 17:08:33 (permalink)
leethebard
buffetbuster

Thanks everyone....I'm so confused. What offended people about my simple post??????? And who is going to man up about flagging it and tell me why?????????? 

Hey Lee, I didn't flag you.......but I was thinking about it when you called sauce........Gravy! 

BTW, I will be working in Brick for a couple weeks, I'll touch base with you later.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/12 17:16:40 (permalink)
What the heck else would you call it if you don't call it gravy?
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/12 18:29:21 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

What the heck else would you call it if you don't call it gravy?

(Please don't shoot or 'flag', I'm just making a joke and I used to live there).
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/12 18:55:05 (permalink)
I've never tried that product. Looks interesting.
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1601
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/12 19:21:37 (permalink)
Loved this report, thanks! I myself love lotsa sauce, and don't mind just average Italian Bread if it's used mainly to mop up sauce.

Re: Noodles. My Mom was Italian (Brooklyn NY) and in our house Spaghetti was the long stringy stuff, while any type of stubby stuff  (Ziti, farfalle, ditalini, etc) was macaroni.

Somehow about maybe 20 years ago everything everywhere became just "pasta".
Texascajun
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/12 22:24:57 (permalink)
I loved the report. A great find. The food looks great. I would love it as shown. I hope to visit it someday. Thank You BB for the report.    
mlm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/12 22:54:00 (permalink)
Funny. Even 'noodle' can get you in trouble these days. I was looking for recipes in food dot com for side dishes. To me, a noodle is an egg noodle of various sizes. When I did my search, I got a lot of asian recipes. OK, that's terrific but not what I want. When I specified 'egg noodle' I still got a lot of asian recipes plus various egg recipes. OK...........  Guess I'll have to figure our what the trendy name before I try again." />
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10409
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/13 00:05:34 (permalink)
leethebard

The "Pasta" looked average...can't speak,of course, for the taste, but....the bread wasn't real Italian,I looks like that American bread passing as Italian...and those meatballs are anemic in size. And the presentation is very American....TOO much sauce...in Italy they'd tell you that much sauce overwhelms the pasta....quality pasta has great taste,and to drown it in "gravy" is frowned upon. I agree. To this Italian, it looks like many restaurants trying to be Italian...While I never eat Spaghetti out,I know a good plate by sight. This is just one Italian's opinion. If you enjoyed it,that's what counts!!! And please, Spaghetti,or pasta, never noodles. Without tasting it,to me it looks like an American version of Italian food.

GUESS WHAT? YOU'NZ DON'T HAVE TO GO THERE-----
mlm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/13 00:17:53 (permalink)
All right now. Waaaay past time to calm down and live and let live. 
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/13 10:52:58 (permalink)
As I don't know where I'm going to go with this, I'll start by thanking buffetbuster for starting this thread.

Because it is a 'college town' my hometown of New Wilmington remains stable and prosperous.  Nearby New Castle has lost more than half its population.  Those who remain are well illustrated by your picture of the waitress and the other diners at LOTD.  Once a thriving industrial powerhouse its largest employer is now a healthcare conglomerate specializing in 'services for Seniors'; thus goes "My Little Town".

The last time I visited was February, 2010 to attend to a family matter.  On that sad occasion two things cheered me up:  meeting Joe Greene on the flight up from DFW and the prospect of dinner at "The V".

To my horror, The Villanova Inn had closed.  Why?  This joint had it all: a well-lit dining room for families two steps up from a darker bar with plenty of comfortable booths.  Their menu had steaks, chops, and all the red-sauce Italian classics.  They also did the best "bar food" I have ever tasted: wonderful pizza and a 'Pittsburgh-style plate-covering' fish sandwich.  I had had magnificent wings there before they came to be called "Buffalo"; they were 'hot drummies'.  Yet, they had closed.  The truth hit me:  their clients were either dead or, like me, gone.  The silver-haired widows that remain together with their $8/hour attendants were not part of the V's "key demo".  Disheartened, we drove the 20 miles up 18 to Sharon and enjoyed ourselves at the original Quaker Steak & Lube:  Three by the River.

The next day I walked into G&M Coney and walked right back out.  It had transmogrified from a homey beer bar that served great hot dogs into a brightly-lit fast food vibe.  As did not match my mood we drove 20 miles east out 224 to The Inner Circle in Boardman, OH.  For the remainder of the trip we gave up on New Castle and dined happily at several of these places owned by a kid a few years behind me in high school.

Now that my mother has passed is there any reason for me to visit anymore?  Yes!  That country is absolutely beautiful: rich, rolling hill farmland underlain by the Marcellus Shale.  You can buy a palace in a great 'hood for $150K.  It's a shopper's paradise, tax-free at the Grove City Outlets.  Golf courses are very plentiful, uncrowded, and cheap.  New Castle CC was designed by Tillinghast; Youngstown's municipal course is 36 holes designed by the greatest of them all:  Donald Ross, Himself.  And, of course, the most pleasant and welcoming big city on Earth is only a short drive away! 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/13 10:58:49 (permalink)
I don't know for sure, but it seems almost as if you sort of like the area. But I can understand that. Because of lleechef I've come to really, really like Western Pennsylvania.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7395
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/13 11:23:49 (permalink)
I spent 4 lovely years in New Wilmington at Westminster College.  When my parents would come to visit we would always eat at The Tavern.  What great sticky buns! 
About those friend's places, one of them, Log Cabin Inn, I have been there many, many times.......with my parents and also with Michael.  It's wonderful, with the walls decorated with moose heads, deer heads, beavers, etc. and the food has always been really good.  My father used to go hunting in Tionesta (50 years ago) and on the way back, him and his buddies would stop in for a beer.  It was just a plain log cabin then that was a little tavern.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5238
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/13 12:21:28 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

And, of course, the most pleasant and welcoming big city on Earth is only a short drive away!
That'd be Cleveland?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/13 12:45:02 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

buffetbuster

Oh, and a few years ago, someone told me that they call themselves the "Hot Dog Capital of the World".  Now, I don't know exactly where the hot dog capital of the world is, but I'm fairly certain it isn't in New Castle.  So, I drove up, tried one place, didn't care for it and never went back.

Did you go to their original (since 1923) location on Kennedy Square or their rather antiseptic free-standing "new" location up on Wilmington Road (Rt. 18)?  Even though the product is probably the same, the 'ambience' of the original adds to the experience. 

It was the location on the square of M & P Coney Island that I visited a few years ago.  It was just ordinary.  During my trips to New Castle over 2013, I visited four of the bigger names in local hot dogs, including a revisit to that M & P.  Unfortunately, this time it was not good at all.  Can't think of any reason to go back.  There are much better hot dog joints in town, which I will be highlighting soon.

And thanks for all the information and sharing your memories about the area! 
TnTinCT
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 498
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/13 13:11:32 (permalink)
Am also a lover of heavily red-sauced pasta (ok, at least if I like a lot of sauce I still call it pasta ) Those pictures are drool-worthy. I love the salad discussion - we have a couple of places that without the dressing the salad would be totally pedestrian, but add those homemade dressings and it turns into a thing of beauty.  I am feeling inspired and need to remember to bring the camera to some of our favorite haunts (and one of them is another great red sauce place, although without the Sunday pedigree and history that this one has), to review. Great as always!!
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2464
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/13 13:46:36 (permalink)
BB, super awesome beginning to what I know will be a super awesome series!  Having grown up in a very red sauce heavy town, count me among the folks who utterly LOVE the look and description of that Homemade Platter!  I love a good platter of chicken parm but I also have a weak spot for combination platters in places where the sauce and pasta are homemade.  You really do have a wonderful ability to connect with people and raw out their stories like no one I've ever seen.  Keep on keepin' on, man!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/13 14:44:57 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

MetroplexJim

And, of course, the most pleasant and welcoming big city on Earth is only a short drive away!
That'd be Cleveland?

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/13 15:25:20 (permalink)
lleechef mentioned this place above.  I recommend it highly as well. 

When I was a teen living there it was "Recommended by Duncan Hines" and it is still "alive and doing very well".
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/11/13 16:36:20
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 721
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/14 07:14:45 (permalink)
Great report as always BB!

Greymo

With all the flaggers and the posters labeling first time posters as spammers, this site has become very unfriendly.  There are too many self-appointed policemen here now and it is no longer as much fun to post or to read.  To bad for a once  great place.
It indeed seems a few posters here live by the mantra "I'm not happy until you're not happy."

leslie638
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/16 09:04:40 (permalink)
Wow, BB thanks for this report.  I think I'm going to have to take a big appetite friend & make a road trip this winter.  Probably going to have to bring a afghan for the ride home.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/16 09:34:32 (permalink)
leslie638

Wow, BB thanks for this report.  I think I'm going to have to take a big appetite friend & make a road trip this winter.  Probably going to have to bring a afghan for the ride home.

Or, you can buy a new afghan or quilt here.

Both the Volant, Pa. Shops (to quote my daughter-in-law:  "The place where Christmas exploded!" and the Grove City Outlets are only a short drive from New Castle. 

Enjoy lunch and make a day of it.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/16 09:39:54 (permalink)
Or better yet, you could just take one with you!
http://afghanhound.rescueshelter.com/Pennsylvania
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:New Castle, PA Roadfood 2013/11/16 11:04:56 (permalink)
Mariton and I went out for dinner last night.  This restaurant gets so crowded on Friday night (they make the best fish sandwich in Western PA, IMO), that they will sometimes seat you at bigger tables with other parties.  This doesn't bother me and we sat next to two couples who were from New Castle.  We were told the best restaurant in town is called Hazel's and one of the things they do best is liver.  Mariton loves liver, so we will probably run up and check it out this week.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1